Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,332 members, 7,780,868 topics. Date: Friday, 29 March 2024 at 01:16 AM

Will You Physically Remove Your Car Battery For Someone To Use In His Car? - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Will You Physically Remove Your Car Battery For Someone To Use In His Car? (2370 Views)

What Type Of Engine Oil Do You Use In Your Car And How Much Is It? / Man Who Represented Nigeria In Dubai Auto Racing Returns After His Car Crashed / His Car Revs Up & Down By Itself (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Will You Physically Remove Your Car Battery For Someone To Use In His Car? by Nobody: 8:47pm On Nov 03, 2014
A colleague in my office asked me for my battery to start his car at the close of work today cos his had run down. I reluctantly agreed. I cranked my engine and 'warmed' the car for a minute, turned off the ignition. I was surprised that when the guy turned his ignition, the car had a 'hard start' for like 5 seconds before the engine came alive abi woke up. I wasnt too happy cos d guy said his car always had a hard start when he bought it from someone and just left it cos he wasnt too comfortable taking it to 'Abuja rewires'.
Now my question is, will you give out your car battery to a neighbour/colleague especially if you know your car so well.
Please note that i dont want to be forced to buy jumper cables because i dont need it for my car. Should i buy it to please others and displease myself. I can give out my jack, spare tyre, hydraulics etc cheerfully but NOT my battery.
Sincere responses and contributions are welcome.
Re: Will You Physically Remove Your Car Battery For Someone To Use In His Car? by Nobody: 8:55pm On Nov 03, 2014
chiebube:
A colleague in my office asked me for my battery to start his car at the close of work today cos his had run down. I reluctantly agreed. I cranked my engine and 'warmed' the car for a minute, turned off the ignition. I was surprised that when the guy turned his ignition, the car had a 'hard start' for like 5 seconds become the engine came alive abi woke up. I wasnt too happy cos d guy said his car always had a hard start when he bought it from someone and just left it cos he wasnt too comfortable taking it to 'Abuja rewires'.
Now my question is, will you give out your car battery to a neighbour/colleague especially if you know your car so well.
Please note that i dont want to be forced to buy jumper cables because i dont need it for my car. Should i buy it to please others and displease myself. I can give out my jack, spare tyre, hydraulics etc cheerfully but NOT my battery.
Sincere responses and contributions are welcome.

buy jumper cables...
Re: Will You Physically Remove Your Car Battery For Someone To Use In His Car? by Nobody: 8:57pm On Nov 03, 2014
I'm not sure what you mean here, by "give out".

Do you mean allow one to boost start their vehicle from yours, by means of booster cables, whilst your battery remains in your car, with the same engine running?

Or physically remove your battery, allow one to connect it to their own vehicle, get it started, swap their battery back, then return yours?
Re: Will You Physically Remove Your Car Battery For Someone To Use In His Car? by Nobody: 9:03pm On Nov 03, 2014
remove your car battery and fix it in someone's car momentarily.
Re: Will You Physically Remove Your Car Battery For Someone To Use In His Car? by senator2k9(m): 9:12pm On Nov 03, 2014
Bro, dnt say u dnt need jumper cable jst because maybe u feel u have a new battery ok? One day u might forget ur car stereo on or even ur headlights on and ur battery might run down, I pray on dat very day u dnt meet someone who has same perception as u nt being able to give battery out, maybe u wil sleep on d way dat day !! Lol

4 Likes

Re: Will You Physically Remove Your Car Battery For Someone To Use In His Car? by Nobody: 9:12pm On Nov 03, 2014
Ground rules:

1) I will never remove my battery but agree to using jumper cables if vehicles are similar (i.e. I'm not jump starting your F350 with my Jetta).

2) I will be in charge of hooking up the jumper cables, my way.

2 Likes

Re: Will You Physically Remove Your Car Battery For Someone To Use In His Car? by chillex8(m): 9:48pm On Nov 03, 2014
I have a jump-starter cable in my trunk.

If I dare remove my battery to start another vehicle, I am in for a bad day.

My car's idle will need to relearn before I can drive normally again.
Re: Will You Physically Remove Your Car Battery For Someone To Use In His Car? by GAZZUZZ(m): 10:01pm On Nov 03, 2014
Did it on sat, did it on monday morning, in NAIJA if you don't you might be termed a wicked fellow. Not adviceable for a car that has to relearn idle, luckily mine don learn every thing don pass exam grin

Mean while I'm buying a jumper cable tommorow, old one got bad, its a handy tool to keep in the car you might never know with our yeye batteries.

There was a trip I did to maiduguri in 2012 on getting there I stoped to buy fuel and that was it battery was dead! I now imagined if I decided to stop on the road to take a leak? shocked
Re: Will You Physically Remove Your Car Battery For Someone To Use In His Car? by Kashif(m): 7:36am On Nov 04, 2014
senator2k9:
Bro, dnt say u dnt need jumper cable jst because maybe u feel u have a new battery ok? One day u might forget ur car stereo on or even ur headlights on and ur battery might run down, I pray on dat very day u dnt meet someone who has same perception as u nt being able to give battery out, maybe u wil sleep on d way dat day !! Lol

I wonder the car you drive that is susceptible to all these...

@ Chiebube, you need it, just for others. I have it, though I have never needed it for myself. If my car cannot get close enough to yours for jump starting, tough luck!
Re: Will You Physically Remove Your Car Battery For Someone To Use In His Car? by Readonee35L(m): 7:48am On Nov 04, 2014
CityNG:
Ground rules:

1) I will never remove my battery but agree to using jumper cables if vehicles are similar (i.e. I'm not jump starting your F350 with my Jetta).

lol

F350 super duty v8
mehn

his gonna drain every juice in ur Battery

1 Like

Re: Will You Physically Remove Your Car Battery For Someone To Use In His Car? by lonelydora: 9:06am On Nov 04, 2014
CityNG:
Ground rules:

Exactly my thought. I can in rare cases remove my battery and give someone (mostly stranded women), but the car has to be on same level with mine. Not using mine for Toyota Tundra or Sequoia.

I dont have jumper wire and do not plan on having one.

1 Like

Re: Will You Physically Remove Your Car Battery For Someone To Use In His Car? by Nobody: 9:21am On Nov 04, 2014
I don't give jump starts, or receive jump starts, unless I'm driving an older car. And ONLY with jump leads that have anti-surge suppressors built into them.

As for removing my battery? No. I do carry a jump pack with me though, and can render assistance with that.
Re: Will You Physically Remove Your Car Battery For Someone To Use In His Car? by Exponental(m): 9:34am On Nov 04, 2014
my experience......
mechanic just parked my bros car (EOD). he was to take my car (mazda 626). my battery wasnt too ok. brought out d eod's battery to start my car. battery didnt work. returned to eod...still didnt work. we had to push my car(manual) with my battery b4 it came on.
battery charger confirmed my bros battery CONDEMNED. if d battery wasnt from someone close to me..... just imagine dat!
i ve learned not to be battery generous without a jumper cable.
Re: Will You Physically Remove Your Car Battery For Someone To Use In His Car? by tsiriman(m): 1:17pm On Nov 04, 2014
I've done it a few times with no problem, i know my radio code.
But i plan to buy jumper cables so i won't have to remove it
Re: Will You Physically Remove Your Car Battery For Someone To Use In His Car? by Day11(m): 2:08pm On Nov 04, 2014
Battery removed may locked your CAR RADIO!.

Jump start is better.

Day11

1 Like

Re: Will You Physically Remove Your Car Battery For Someone To Use In His Car? by GAZZUZZ(m): 3:34pm On Nov 04, 2014
lonelydora:

Exactly my thought. I can in rare cases remove my battery and give someone (mostly stranded women), but the car has to be on same level with mine. Not using mine for Toyota Tundra or Sequoia.

I dont have jumper wire and do not plan on having one.

Hmmm angry angry

2 Likes

Re: Will You Physically Remove Your Car Battery For Someone To Use In His Car? by lonelydora: 10:07pm On Nov 04, 2014
GAZZUZZ:

Hmmm angry angry

No strings attached. I believe when i help people's wives, people will equally help my wife.

Have you not seen some women open their bonnet and mopping at the engine bay without any idea of what to do?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Will You Physically Remove Your Car Battery For Someone To Use In His Car? by GAZZUZZ(m): 10:39pm On Nov 04, 2014
lonelydora:

No strings attached. I believe when i help people's wives, people will equally help my wife.

Have you not seen some women open their bonnet and mopping at the engine bay without any idea of what to do?
you know say your moniker de mislead me.
grin
grin

3 Likes

Re: Will You Physically Remove Your Car Battery For Someone To Use In His Car? by lonelydora: 10:55pm On Nov 04, 2014
GAZZUZZ:
you know say your moniker de mislead me.
grin
grin
Yea, that is why I posted my wife's and son's pix sometime. I don't really know how to change the moniker.
Re: Will You Physically Remove Your Car Battery For Someone To Use In His Car? by Nobody: 12:21pm On Nov 05, 2014
So much selfishness on this thread. You guys acting like sh*t doesn't happen even in spite of our best intentions and one day you just might need assistance. #Sad

1 Like

Re: Will You Physically Remove Your Car Battery For Someone To Use In His Car? by GAZZUZZ(m): 6:59pm On Nov 05, 2014
chukux2:
So much selfishness on this thread. You guys acting like sh*t doesn't happen even in spite of our best intentions and one day you just might need assistance. #Sad

E be like say you never buy peugeot BSI and engine ECU b4 angry , if e happen to you you go tell person wey ask you for battery say ur bonnet no de open say e get fault. grin grin

1 Like

Re: Will You Physically Remove Your Car Battery For Someone To Use In His Car? by Nobody: 7:38pm On Nov 05, 2014
chukux2:

Nothing selfish about protecting your vehicle. If you were clued up with regards modern control modules, and CAN-BUS systems, you wouldn't have posted the comment you did.

1 Like

Re: Will You Physically Remove Your Car Battery For Someone To Use In His Car? by Nobody: 8:16pm On Nov 05, 2014
chukux2:

Stuff does happen and this is why I am a AAA member.

They'll brong me gas, jump my car, open my locked door or tow me for 100 miles free.

This is yet another business idea for an unemployed Nairalander.
Re: Will You Physically Remove Your Car Battery For Someone To Use In His Car? by Nobody: 8:19pm On Nov 05, 2014

Re: Will You Physically Remove Your Car Battery For Someone To Use In His Car? by AutosBay(m): 7:16pm On Nov 07, 2014
@ Op use a car battery booster cable or the item recommended by CityNG.

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Car Battery Choice/brand / Which Engine Oil Is Perfect For ML320 Mercedes Benz SUV In Nigeria / Mitsubishi Space Wagon Gdi Automatic 2000 (lazy In Movement & Consuming Fuel)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 34
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.