Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,975 members, 7,806,844 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 03:56 AM

Does Flogging A Child = Discipline Or Abuse - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Does Flogging A Child = Discipline Or Abuse (1905 Views)

Husband Beats Pregnant wife for flogging his Dog...! / Discipline Or Stupidity? / BEATING YOUR KIDS; Discipline Or Abuse? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Does Flogging A Child = Discipline Or Abuse by ducii: 10:18am On Nov 04, 2014
Does Flogging a Child Equal Discipline or Abuse? I think it is certainly discipline, I mean using myself as an example, I am sure I would have been very spoilt if not for the fact that my mother was very good with the cane. I mean when I was growing up we had all kinds of koboko in our house, owing to the fact again that my mum was a teacher, so koboko was not lacking at all in our house.

So is Flogging a child discipline or Abuse?
Re: Does Flogging A Child = Discipline Or Abuse by Nobody: 10:22am On Nov 04, 2014
Total abuse... Reason: ask the Western world.
Flogging amounts to animal treatment. Check out the way those abbokis flog their cattle.

That's why I'm running for a house member in my state assembly. I would enact laws that'll make child flogging an offence.
Re: Does Flogging A Child = Discipline Or Abuse by twaintoy(f): 10:30am On Nov 04, 2014
Spare the rod and spoil the child, naija mentality.
Re: Does Flogging A Child = Discipline Or Abuse by Sabadon(m): 10:35am On Nov 04, 2014
according to d book of proverbs spare d rod n spoil d child,also d ways of a child is filled with mistakes bt d rod of correction amends his ways. so biblically speaking flogging=discipline bt from d legal perspective flogging=abuse ...so d way u want to choose depends on u.
Re: Does Flogging A Child = Discipline Or Abuse by ducii: 10:41am On Nov 04, 2014
Dpress:
Total abuse... Reason: ask the Western world.
Flogging amounts to animal treatment. Check out the way those abbokis flog their cattle.

That's why I'm running for a house member in my state assembly. I would enact laws that'll make child flogging an offence.

Intresting
Re: Does Flogging A Child = Discipline Or Abuse by mutter(f): 10:45am On Nov 06, 2014
it is better for the child to cry than the mother to cry.
Physical abuse is however a sign that reasoning and other methods have failed and is a sign of defeat on the side of the parent.
Flogging is also the easy way out and certainly fast and you can let out your frustration.
Howver the child is now motivated by fear and not by reason! What happens later in life? Would the child that becomes a manget flogged at work to perform?
You can achieve better results with talking and being consequent but it certainly takes time and patience.
Lastly we have to understand that children have to make mistakes and get up to mischief... that is why they have parents. It is very important to nib each problem at the bud. When you allow something to becomea habit it is hard to change it.
However sometimes as humans we raise our hands on our kids or threaten them. It works but does the end justify the means?
Re: Does Flogging A Child = Discipline Or Abuse by ducii: 10:53am On Nov 06, 2014
mutter:
it is better for the child to cry than the mother to cry.
Physical abuse is however a sign that reasoning and other methods have failed and is a sign of defeat on the side of the parent.
Flogging is also the easy way out and certainly fast and you can let out your frustration.
Howver the child is now motivated by fear and not by reason! What happens later in life? Would the child that becomes a manget flogged at work to perform?
You can achieve better results with talking and being consequent but it certainly takes time and patience.
Lastly we have to understand that children have to make mistakes and get up to mischief... that is why they have parents. It is very important to nib each problem at the bud. When you allow something to becomea habit it is hard to change it.
However sometimes as humans we raise our hands on our kids or threaten them. It works but does the end justify the means?

I kind of agree with you, though I think some form of discipline is needed to keep kids in check. So even though i kind of agree with you I still think occasional flogging of a child is needed
Re: Does Flogging A Child = Discipline Or Abuse by Nobody: 11:20am On Nov 06, 2014
Personally I do not subscribe to the idea of flogging a child, reason been that it 's got some negative/psycological effect on the child. Sometimes parents flogs there children without making them realize why they were been flogged #worst
...when a child gets flogged to some extent, he/she gets used to it (the pain and all) and the purpose of using the whip/rod becomes unfounded
Re: Does Flogging A Child = Discipline Or Abuse by PassingShot(m): 11:37am On Nov 06, 2014
Spanking for obvious stubbornness especially after several verbal correction is in order.
Re: Does Flogging A Child = Discipline Or Abuse by ducii: 12:57pm On Nov 06, 2014
PassingShot:
Spanking for obvious stubbornness especially after several verbal correction is in order.

I Agree with you

(1) (Reply)

Hubby Doesn't Want To Believe That A Mad Man Is Molesting Her Spiritually / My Older Neighbor Saw Me Drive In And Then Got Out Of His Car And Began Staring? / Bathtub, Showers And Buckets

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 18
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.