Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,333 members, 7,808,176 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 08:07 AM

Which Do You Perform Better At; Aptitude Tests Or Interviews? - Jobs/Vacancies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / Which Do You Perform Better At; Aptitude Tests Or Interviews? (2495 Views)

Kpmg Graduate Trainee Aptitude Test 2015 / Workforce Academy Sending Messages For Aptitude Tests / SHELL Aptitude Tests 2012 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Which Do You Perform Better At; Aptitude Tests Or Interviews? by Olutola88(m): 11:53am On Nov 04, 2014
Before you get a job offer as a fresh graduate, you will be most likely required to take an aptitude test as well as interview(s).
Many people have the Aptitude test as their weakness while some see interviews as their doom.

As for me, I perform well in both Aptitude Tests and Interviews( judging with the few I've done). Nevertheless, I still always wish I could be saved the stress of taking Aptitude tests. Interviews appear to be a mature arrangement, I love the setting, I enjoy the regulated population of interviewees unlike aptitude test takers, I appreciate the fact that there is no single foolproof answer to a particular question( You have the freedom to freestyle). *winks*

In Aptitude Tests, we have different formats and one might be good in one aspect and not so good in another. That's not even my headache. My pain is that some of the answers provided at the back of Gmat pack are not correct and I trust my HR people, they will mark with whatever Gmat supplies as answer. Meaning that a very good applicant can even fail an aptitude test artificially.

Another reason for my preference of interviews over tests is my opinion of tests not being a very good indices for judging job applicants. This is because aptitude tests in most cases are not a true reflection of an applicant's abilities. Even if I perform well in Aptitude tests I still think many job applicants are not enjoying fair treatment as some applicants are veteran test takers and they tend to pass tests not because they are so good but because they have come across the same questions on several occasions and can even pick the right answers with their eyes closed.

Furthermore, I am confident, I communicate well, I'm an orator , a very astute, diplomatic and persuasive person. I know how to make others have a transition into my way of thinking. You know how helpful these could be when you are in front of a pannel. I think these hallmarks are also vitally responsible for my preference of Job interviews over job tests.

Nevertheless, I think employers stick to aptitude tests mainly because of the very high population of applicants they deal with.

If you have your way, which will you avoid? APTITUDE TESTS or INTERVIEWS?

1 Like

Re: Which Do You Perform Better At; Aptitude Tests Or Interviews? by Ezedon(m): 11:59am On Nov 04, 2014
With full confidence, Direct Interview is preferable
Re: Which Do You Perform Better At; Aptitude Tests Or Interviews? by Olutola88(m): 12:03pm On Nov 04, 2014
Ezedon:
lmao @ “full confidence”. With half confidence nko?
Re: Which Do You Perform Better At; Aptitude Tests Or Interviews? by Lero15(m): 12:29pm On Nov 04, 2014
Interview it is. You get to meet with them and show your confidence and expression skills.
Re: Which Do You Perform Better At; Aptitude Tests Or Interviews? by Nobody: 12:47pm On Nov 04, 2014
None! Just give me the job already. grin angry sad

8 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Which Do You Perform Better At; Aptitude Tests Or Interviews? by Olutola88(m): 12:48pm On Nov 04, 2014
Ezedon:
hmmm, confident dudes
Re: Which Do You Perform Better At; Aptitude Tests Or Interviews? by Olutola88(m): 12:51pm On Nov 04, 2014
Three7Ty9:
eyah! If wishes were horses... But u sef no try o, u 4 don come dis world as Obasanjo pikin
Re: Which Do You Perform Better At; Aptitude Tests Or Interviews? by Emeka71(m): 12:55pm On Nov 04, 2014
Olutola88:
Before you get a job offer as a fresh graduate, you will be most likely required to take an aptitude test as well as interview(s).
Many people have the Aptitude test as their weakness while some see interviews as their doom.

As for me, I perform well in both Aptitude Tests and Interviews( judging with the few I've done). Nevertheless, I still always wish I could be saved the stress of taking Aptitude tests. Interviews appear to be a mature arrangement, I love the setting, I enjoy the regulated population of interviewees unlike aptitude test takers, I appreciate the fact that there is no single foolproof answer to a particular question( You have the freedom to freestyle). *winks*

In Aptitude Tests, we have different formats and one might be good in one aspect and not so good in another. That's not even my headache. My pain is that some of the answers provided at the back of Gmat pack are not correct and I trust my HR people, they will mark with whatever Gmat supplies as answer. Meaning that a very good applicant can even fail an aptitude test artificially.

Another reason for my preference of interviews over tests is my opinion of tests not being a very good indices for judging job applicants. This is because aptitude tests in most cases are not a true reflection of an applicant's abilities. Even if I perform well in Aptitude tests I still think many job applicants are not enjoying fair treatment as some applicants are veteran test takers and they tend to pass tests not because they are so good but because they have come across the same questions on several occasions and can even pick the right answers with their eyes closed.

Furthermore, I am confident, I communicate well, I'm an orator , a very astute, diplomatic and persuasive person. I know how to make others have a transition into my way of thinking. You know how helpful these could be when you are in front of a pannel. I think these hallmarks are also vitally responsible for my preference of Job interviews over job tests.

Nevertheless, I think employers stick to aptitude tests mainly because of the very high population of applicants they deal with.

If you have your way, which will you avoid? APTITUDE TESTS or INTERVIEWS?
I usually pass aptitude test but after interview, I will not be taken. I will prefer if there is no interview.

3 Likes

Re: Which Do You Perform Better At; Aptitude Tests Or Interviews? by Nobody: 12:56pm On Nov 04, 2014
Olutola88:
eyah! If wishes were horses... But u sef no try o, u 4 don come dis world as Obasanjo pikin

Lol! Na joke I dey oh. I find that I'm luckier with interviews.

You go to a test feeling prepared only to find the the test format topples all your plans of smashing it.

The recruiter change am for you. grin. Eg. You prepared for GMAT or Shl only to find current affairs staring at you. grin
Re: Which Do You Perform Better At; Aptitude Tests Or Interviews? by Olutola88(m): 2:13pm On Nov 04, 2014
Emeka71:
I usually pass aptitude test but after interview, I will not be taken. I will prefer if there is no interview.
I think you just need to improve your interview skills. It is an art that could be mastered. In fact, I tell my friends that I see the interview process as drama and any good actor should be able to pass interviews easliy. I'm also learning but I think I can still help you improve your interview skills if you don't mind.
Re: Which Do You Perform Better At; Aptitude Tests Or Interviews? by Olutola88(m): 2:15pm On Nov 04, 2014
Three7Ty9:

Lol! Na joke I dey oh. I find that I'm luckier with interviews.

You go to a test feeling prepared only to find the the test format topples all your plans of smashing it.

The recruiter change am for you. grin. Eg. You prepared for GMAT or Shl only to find current affairs staring at you. grin
lol! Me sef know say na joke na! Na why I throw you the Obasanjo joke
Re: Which Do You Perform Better At; Aptitude Tests Or Interviews? by Nobody: 3:41pm On Nov 04, 2014
A really debateable topic.

Its good to know your strenght. It'll always work in your advantage. But i feel we need to strike a balance.

I thought I was good at Job Tests until I sat for my first...........
Re: Which Do You Perform Better At; Aptitude Tests Or Interviews? by Nobody: 3:44pm On Nov 04, 2014
test
Re: Which Do You Perform Better At; Aptitude Tests Or Interviews? by cc150615(f): 3:52pm On Nov 04, 2014
Olutola88:
I think you just need to improve your interview skills. It is an art that could be mastered. In fact, I tell my friends that I see the interview process as drama and any good actor should be able to pass interviews easliy. I'm also learning but I think I can still help you improve your interview skills if you don't mind.
I'll like to ask a question, how many interviews have u attended nd how many were u successful in?by succesful I mean u got the job or u were called for the next stage as the case may be No offence it's just for reference purpose cos at times u go for an interview and u think you've performed well until u see the results even when confidence isn't an issue for u.
Re: Which Do You Perform Better At; Aptitude Tests Or Interviews? by Olutola88(m): 5:46pm On Nov 04, 2014
cc150615:

I'll like to ask a question, how many interviews have u attended nd how many were u successful in?by succesful I mean u got the job or u were called for the next stage as the case may be No offence it's just for reference purpose cos at times u go for an interview and u think you've performed well until u see the results even when confidence isn't an issue for u.
I expected this query, so I'm not astonished. I've been interviewed on four different occasions and three were successful. The last wasn't successful not because I didn't perform well but because the partner wasn't cool with something he saw in my file( not a big deal tho but he attributed much importance to it).

Nevertheless, you don't have to have 100 girlfriends or be dumped by 200 men before you make a good relationship counsellor. I'll also want you to remember that your strength is someone's weakness and your weakness is someone else's strength. Why not just lend a helping hand to a brother/sis by filling the gap for him or her.

If there's anything you don't comprehend in what I've written, feel free to ask. I will surely expatiate
Re: Which Do You Perform Better At; Aptitude Tests Or Interviews? by Olutola88(m): 5:48pm On Nov 04, 2014
taiwolusol:
A really debateable topic.

Its good to know your strenght. It'll always work in your advantage. But i feel we need to strike a balance.

I thought I was good at Job Tests until I sat for my first...........
lmao @ the last line
Re: Which Do You Perform Better At; Aptitude Tests Or Interviews? by cc150615(f): 5:59pm On Nov 04, 2014
Olutola88:
I expected this query, so I'm not astonished. I've been interviewed on four different occasions and three were successful. The last wasn't successful not because I didn't perform well but because the partner wasn't cool with something he saw in my file( not a big deal tho but he attributed much importance to it).

Nevertheless, you don't have to have 100 girlfriends or be dumped by 200 men before you make a good relationship counsellor. I'll also want you to remember that your strength is someone's weakness and your weakness is someone else's strength. Why not just lend a helping hand to a brother/sis by filling the gap for him or her.

If there's anything you don't comprehend in what I've written, feel free to ask. I will surely expatiate

I comprehend everything u said perfectly nd I admire the helping hand you're lending out.
Also,I pray for u that in ur future interviews u won't have such issues like u had in the last interview u stated cos stuffs like that come up a lot of times nd many other things, what I mean is that there are a lot of times a person gets dropped in an interview for a reason that doesn't have to do with his/her performance,I guess That's Where God comes in.

Ok, back to ur original question I don't think I have a preference for either job tests or interviews but I'd rather they just go straight to the interview or else they should use only the test: but like u already stated the tests are needed to cut down the number nd the interview needed to ascertain the person's capabilities more closely by meeting physically.
Re: Which Do You Perform Better At; Aptitude Tests Or Interviews? by sholay2011(m): 6:01pm On Nov 04, 2014
Three7Ty9:
I'm with you o jare grin
Re: Which Do You Perform Better At; Aptitude Tests Or Interviews? by Nobody: 9:03pm On Nov 04, 2014
Olutola88:
lmao @ the last line
Oh boi.....no be small thing oo

For my mind, I don think say I don scatter ground grin grin

The day we went for our offer letter, I hand just fall sad
NEWSFLASH: Out of the 6 of us that got the Job, i scored the least in the test! Some guys even gap me with 20 marks sad sad

20 whole marks shocked .... my heart skip sad
Re: Which Do You Perform Better At; Aptitude Tests Or Interviews? by buchisom1(m): 9:22pm On Nov 04, 2014
For me i will prefer interview den the test. ..me i belv once am called for interview i see it 90% sure of gettin d job..coz u b called for interviwe means ua chances is 50- 50, and if u a good talk den u re at an advantage
Re: Which Do You Perform Better At; Aptitude Tests Or Interviews? by Hussyk: 11:00pm On Nov 04, 2014
Three7Ty9:

correct guy!
Re: Which Do You Perform Better At; Aptitude Tests Or Interviews? by Emeka71(m): 1:11pm On Nov 05, 2014
Olutola88:
Most times after passing the test, then after the interview; they will just give me one excuse or the other.
Re: Which Do You Perform Better At; Aptitude Tests Or Interviews? by KillerBeauty(f): 2:56pm On Nov 05, 2014
I prefer interview and I do better in it. Aptitude test your success only depend on what you put on the paper. If u fail that's it

1 Like

Re: Which Do You Perform Better At; Aptitude Tests Or Interviews? by Olutola88(m): 5:50am On Nov 06, 2014
KillerBeauty:
I prefer interview and I do better in it. Aptitude test your success only depend on what you put on the paper. If u fail that's it
hmmm. Almost everyone be preferring interview
Re: Which Do You Perform Better At; Aptitude Tests Or Interviews? by Lero15(m): 7:45am On Nov 06, 2014
Olutola88:
hmmm. Almost everyone be preferring interview
which do you prefer? cheesy
Re: Which Do You Perform Better At; Aptitude Tests Or Interviews? by Olutola88(m): 7:50am On Nov 06, 2014
Lero15:
which do you prefer? cheesy
lol! I stated it already in the original post *winks*
Re: Which Do You Perform Better At; Aptitude Tests Or Interviews? by Lero15(m): 8:36am On Nov 06, 2014
Olutola88:
lol! I stated it already in the original post *winks*
lol...don't mind me. I practically forgot. Maybe because your post was long, I couldn't read all over again.
Re: Which Do You Perform Better At; Aptitude Tests Or Interviews? by Olutola88(m): 8:40am On Nov 06, 2014
Lero15:
lol...don't mind me. I practically forgot. Maybe because your post was long, I couldn't read all over again.
How the hustle bro?
Re: Which Do You Perform Better At; Aptitude Tests Or Interviews? by Lero15(m): 10:50am On Nov 06, 2014
Olutola88:
How the hustle bro?
hahaha...I knew you wld ask...something good came up this week.
Re: Which Do You Perform Better At; Aptitude Tests Or Interviews? by Nobody: 11:41am On Nov 06, 2014
Lero15:

Lero! I'm happy for you oh. Congrats.
Re: Which Do You Perform Better At; Aptitude Tests Or Interviews? by Lero15(m): 12:31pm On Nov 06, 2014
coolbibz:

Lero! I'm happy for you oh. Congrats.
thanks, bro.
Re: Which Do You Perform Better At; Aptitude Tests Or Interviews? by Olutola88(m): 3:01pm On Nov 06, 2014
Lero15:
lol! Abi na. This really sounds great and I'm really elated for you bro. I believe this is just the beginning of great things in your life. Like the Yoruba will say; Ei ti rin kan kan( una neva see anything). Wishing a roaring success in all your avocations.

When are we gonna celebrate it? Don't worry, I'll give you 2 to 3 months 4 pepper to rest wella b4 we pop champagne*wink*

Btw, are you still in Ib?

(1) (2) (Reply)

Jobs At FCMB / Trainee Loan Officer at AB Microfinance Bank / Nigeria LNG Trainee Operator Recruitment 2017

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 61
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.