Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,637 members, 7,801,839 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 01:32 AM

The Rise Of African Films - Culture (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / The Rise Of African Films (6560 Views)

18+ Unclad Photos Of African Women Slaves From The Past. / Pictures Of African Traditional Clothing! / Marriage between Yoruba And Igbo people On The Rise (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Rise Of African Films by Nobody: 7:51pm On Nov 09, 2014
muafrika:
Giving an example of South African conteporary life style. I think a famous lesbian did that. I havent watched the two. Hope its more than SA just language. But like I said, culture does not have to be 1000 years old, and yes, SA does make alot of effort. I haven't seen the Nigerian film either. I have also seen some of those done from a western perspective. But there is always something very Nigerian about most of them. I am not biased, as an outsider in both cases. I think its understandable because the recent history of the two countries differ. South Africa has its own competitive edge. Technically- story line, production, distribution, even acting. The cultural edge is elsewhere.

I hear you, but still feel you're being bias when you mention a TV drama with lesbianism to generalize the whole SA film industry yet nollywood with films about lesbianism like LESBIANS or LESBIAN QUEENS to mention a few is not 'westernized'.

A scene from the Nollywood Yoruba movie LESBIAN

www.nairaland.com/attachments/1136483_Lesbians_jpgb24a70677ef1ca2cf9cef4d9f5f93376
Re: The Rise Of African Films by Nobody: 9:24pm On Nov 09, 2014
vdGeist:

I hear you, but still feel you're being bias when you mention a TV drama with lesbianism to generalize the whole SA film industry yet nollywood with films about lesbianism like LESBIANS or LESBIAN QUEENS to mention a few is not 'westernized'.

A scene from the Nollywood Yoruba movie LESBIAN

www.nairaland.com/attachments/1136483_Lesbians_jpgb24a70677ef1ca2cf9cef4d9f5f93376
Am disappointed by those gullible Nigerians. Definitely too westernized(the production is the kind that will bring the industry to ruins. We love Nigerian films for their simplicity and GE rating - most of those we watch). Don't people know that holly wood has an agenda? Smh. You are probably right about generalizing. I'll be sure to watch more SA films.
Re: The Rise Of African Films by anonymous6(f): 12:48am On Nov 10, 2014
CAMNEWTON4PRES:

Who do u think is the most ?

I think it depends but I'm leaning towards Ghana, Nigeria, Senegal
Re: The Rise Of African Films by anonymous6(f): 1:05am On Nov 10, 2014
Chiwude:
When did South-Africa become the Hollywood of Africa?

don't know when, and never knew it was, I don't consider them the Hollywood of Africa though
http://www.csmonitor.com/World/Africa/Africa-Monitor/2014/0116/Africa-s-first-big-Hollywood-year-Are-multiple-Oscars-in-the-offing
Re: The Rise Of African Films by Nobody: 1:20am On Nov 10, 2014
anonymous6:

don't know when, and never knew it was, I don't consider them the Hollywood of Africa though
http://www.csmonitor.com/World/Africa/Africa-Monitor/2014/0116/Africa-s-first-big-Hollywood-year-Are-multiple-Oscars-in-the-offing

Nollywood deserves the title of Hollywood of Africa.
Re: The Rise Of African Films by Nobody: 1:26am On Nov 10, 2014
anonymous6:

And Tanzania, DRC.
Re: The Rise Of African Films by SantaMafia: 1:36am On Nov 10, 2014
anonymous6:

abeg, leave Ghana out of it,huh? abi na by force? grin we no want now
Re: The Rise Of African Films by anonymous6(f): 5:07am On Nov 11, 2014
vdGeist:

And Tanzania, DRC.

Well Tanzania has beautiful geography and is used alot as a image for Africa cultural landscape and DRC is the birth place of soukoss so yes I give them credit
Re: The Rise Of African Films by anonymous6(f): 5:16am On Nov 11, 2014
vdGeist:

Nollywood deserves the title of Hollywood of Africa.

I think Nollywood has made a mark in Africa and beat Hollywood in the continent but I don't think I will give them that title either at least not right now. African film industries still need to progress and advance more but Hollywood shouldn't be used as the epitome but who to stand side by side with in the future.

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

Richest And Prominent Tribes In Africa / KKK Symbol And Swastika Spray Painted On Somali-american’s Driveway / Our Ancestors - Images From Ancient Egypt

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 15
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.