Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,939 members, 7,806,718 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 09:42 PM

Republicans Win Control Of The US Congress - Foreign Affairs (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / Republicans Win Control Of The US Congress (5926 Views)

Kenyan Forces Claim Control Of Westgate Mall / Obama Seeks Congress Approval To Strike Syria / Mandela's Granddaughter Fighting For Control Of His Fortune (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Republicans Win Control Of The US Congress by Raiders: 7:46am On Nov 05, 2014
GuyFawkes:

There will soon be Republican governors in Connecticut, Massachusetts, Maryland, and Illinois!! This is a TOTAL repudiation of not only Obama, but the Democratic party as well.

The stupidest idea was to localize elections and run away from a unifying message. When you lead, you go on the offensive. Democrats had so many items to run on, but instead they ran away from their accomplishments. Theyin allowed themselves to be defined by the Republican narrative. When you don't stand for the essence of your party, you deserve what you get.
cant believe democrats lost Illinois. Thats obamas state.
Re: Republicans Win Control Of The US Congress by Missy89(f): 7:50am On Nov 05, 2014
GuyFawkes:

Yes K street still reign supreme in my opinion
Mr. Obama has always been Republican lite. From the beginning, he put Wall Street and banking types in charge of the economy. The banks were bailed out, but the overwhelming majority of defrauded homeowners got nothing. He presided over a massive expansion of government spying on all Americans, put through a health insurance package that richly rewards the insurance companies, failed to close Guantanamo, etc.

Mr. Obama sold out his base over and over. He was even willing to put Social Security cuts on the table. Obama apologists keep saying that he faced unrelenting opposition, but he had a Democratic Congress during his first two years. He could have fired up the base and put through progressive policies IF he had believed in them. And, to be fair, most of the Democrats in Congress are Republican lite.

The conversational wisdom in DC is right leaning. If you want any deals done u have to play along. They have also hijacked the military and intelligence apparatus since the Bush years. Obama was too overt in acknowledging this, and that is why his party wont touch him with a ten foot pole

1 Like

Re: Republicans Win Control Of The US Congress by daveP(m): 7:51am On Nov 05, 2014
Palin musr win
Re: Republicans Win Control Of The US Congress by Raiders: 7:51am On Nov 05, 2014
CFCfan:
Here in California, incumbent governor - Jerry Brown (D), easily won reelection without campaigning grin grin He has beaten his opponent by over 20% points.
jerry brown didn't even bother to campaign. I didn't see any of his campaign ads on tv. The republican candidate in California was not popular and few Californians know him.
Re: Republicans Win Control Of The US Congress by tomakint: 7:52am On Nov 05, 2014
Lucasbalo:
You sure don't know hoe the politics in America works. The Republicans you prefer are 10 times worse than Obama.
Don't even start! What do you know about American politics if I may ask? The level of moral decadence whenever a Democrat is there cannot be compared to the financial loss recorded in the time of war when a Republican is ruling...this is just one out of many

1 Like

Re: Republicans Win Control Of The US Congress by OrlandoOwoh(m): 7:53am On Nov 05, 2014
ogb5:
Trouble for Obama.

Republicans will win the white house in 2016 and start another war in 2017
What is this noise of the Republican always fighting wars? Have you forgotten how Woodrow Wilson of the Democratic Party campaigned for re-election, with his supporters saying he kept the US out of the World War 1? In less than a month after his re-election, the US joined the war.
Re: Republicans Win Control Of The US Congress by Missy89(f): 8:01am On Nov 05, 2014
OrlandoOwoh:

What is this noise of the Republican always fighting wars? Have you forgotten how Woodrow Wilson of the Democratic Party campaigned for re-election, with his supporters saying he kept the US out of the World War 1? In less than a month after his re-election, the US joined the war.

Golf on Tonkin. Lyndon B. Johnson - Democrat

Korea - Truman Democrat

Kosovo - Clinton Democrat

etc
Re: Republicans Win Control Of The US Congress by Nobody: 8:03am On Nov 05, 2014
OrlandoOwoh:

Reagan's fiery speech at the 1964 Republican National convention, calling for a more aggressive US policy towards the defunct Soviet Union, gave the Repubs that tag of being war-mongers.
George H.W. Bush also successfully marketed himself as strong on national defense.
Re: Republicans Win Control Of The US Congress by Nobody: 8:07am On Nov 05, 2014
The Republicans have won 246 House of Reps seats. It's their largest House majority since the end of World War 2 (1945)!
Re: Republicans Win Control Of The US Congress by OrlandoOwoh(m): 8:08am On Nov 05, 2014
Missy89:

Golf on Tonkin. Lyndon B. Johnson - Democrat

Korea - Truman Democrat

Kosovo - Clinton Democrat

etc
Vietnam - J. F. Kennedy - Democrat.
Re: Republicans Win Control Of The US Congress by GuyFawkes: 8:10am On Nov 05, 2014
Lucasbalo:
You are right. I did vote earlier and was surprised that the lady told me when I came that they are projecting less than 30 percent in my precinct. We have to be hopeful. Have gone through the craziness of Reagan and Budh junior. America will rise up again. It's just disappointing. Am about the only Democrat in my office and I will sure get a lot of ribbing in the office morrow.

Too bad but I saw it coming earlier this year during the local primaries, the Republicans made effective use of gerrymandering to corner districts and changed voting laws. Well they aren't a lot of real Democrats out there these days. Chin up and tell your colleagues you'll come storming back in 2016.

What I can't figure out is what congressional Democrats will do. Will they borrow from the Republicans' script and filibuster every piece of legislation?
Re: Republicans Win Control Of The US Congress by GuyFawkes: 8:12am On Nov 05, 2014
Raiders:
cant believe democrats lost Illinois. Thats obamas state.

As baffling as Maryland too.
Re: Republicans Win Control Of The US Congress by Nobody: 8:16am On Nov 05, 2014
2014 exit polls:

% of voters- 75% Whites, 12% African-Americans.
51% women, 49% men.
Re: Republicans Win Control Of The US Congress by Lucasbalo(m): 8:17am On Nov 05, 2014
tomakint:

Don't even start! What do you know about American politics if I may ask? The level of moral decadence whenever a Democrat is there cannot be compared to the financial loss recorded in the time of war when a Republican is ruling...this is just one out of many
That's a funny question from you. I don't need to argue with you. You are entitled to your opinion. Off to bed I go.
Re: Republicans Win Control Of The US Congress by dridowu: 8:29am On Nov 05, 2014
CFCfan:

Gay marriage is now legal in 31 US states and Washington D.C.
With time the remaining 19 states will make it legal. I just hope bestiality will not be legalise because campaign for homosexuality started on a gradual process .

tomakint:

but he is the President for crying out loud must he kowtow to the unholy and untoward demands of a few Americans undecided.....this is why I prefer the Republicans to the Democrats anytime anyday. Obama is not a smart administrator
I don't think Obama can do anything to stop the gay issue because i doubt if an average Ameican have "moral" in their dictionary. Some of their top people that are suppose to support Obama on gay issue are even coming out publicly as gay example is the Apple man, so i don't think Obama can do anything pertaining to gay ban. If it was Republican that was in government they would have yeild to people call also. It is not the issue of republican/democrat but issue of an average american that sees immorality as freedom.
Re: Republicans Win Control Of The US Congress by GuyFawkes: 8:30am On Nov 05, 2014
Missy89:

The conversational wisdom in DC is right leaning. If you want any deals done u have to play along. They have also hijacked the military and intelligence apparatus since the Bush years. Obama was too overt in acknowledging this, and that is why his party wont touch him with a ten foot pole

Can't blame him TBH, he campaigned on bringing CHANGE to DC, he said he was for the 99% bla bla bla, but he got the memo as soon as he got into the White house. Americans know the MIC has got the govt by the balls, but Obama had no chance in hell of changing it so why the deception to start with? He's being angering his partys base since he got into office anyway. He's actually right leaning in the Democratic party.
Re: Republicans Win Control Of The US Congress by brainpower(m): 8:30am On Nov 05, 2014
American politics is so twisted and sometimes dirty but the good thing about it is the fact that the will of the people is allowed to stand especially during their elections. I wish Nigeria can get to this level of politics where even the common man in the street can predict how things will go based on the facts on ground. We claim to copy America's democracy but we don't play like them.
Re: Republicans Win Control Of The US Congress by Nobody: 8:37am On Nov 05, 2014
Today is the "official" start of the 2016 presidential election campaign. On twitter, someone has flown the Clinton/Sen Warren kite. It's being tagged as the "dream ticket".
But I have a better idea: how about a Clinton/Michelle Obama ticket?
Re: Republicans Win Control Of The US Congress by GuyFawkes: 8:43am On Nov 05, 2014
CFCfan:

Lol. That's why I like American politics, in spite of its imperfections. Imagine an incumbent governor, whose party also controls Aso Rock, being outspent by the opposition candidate? That's impossible grin

American politics stinks to be honest its taken a nasty turn for the worst with all the political gridlocks, its now a blue state Vs red state trench warfare.
What are the percentages of the the elections; whats the percentage of the people who voted; Americans are now dealing with an election cycle where corporations now have political and religious rights and have basically bought elections across the country. The same american electorate that thinks ebola comes from being in the same state as someone with ebola. The same electorate that, even in light of all the shootings in schools and communities, votes to allow guns to be carried in bars. God bless America cool

1 Like

Re: Republicans Win Control Of The US Congress by GuyFawkes: 8:46am On Nov 05, 2014
Lucasbalo:
You are right. Have alway said what's being practiced in Nigeria is Kleptocracy not Democracy.

Don't even mention Nigeria and Democracy in the same statement. Its more of an plutocracy/oligarchy.
America's democracy will be destroyed by Citizens United. The electorate will no longer count in due course.
Re: Republicans Win Control Of The US Congress by GuyFawkes: 8:54am On Nov 05, 2014
CFCfan:
Today is the "official" start of the 2016 presidential election campaign. On twitter, someone has flown the Clinton/Sen Warren kite. It's being tagged as the "dream ticket".
But I have a better idea: how about a Clinton/Michelle Obama ticket?

I'd pick Elizabeth Warren over Hillary Clinton, she's a war hawk abeg. She threw Obama under the bus in her book -well every Demoocrat is doing that. She must take responsibility as well for Libya and the mismanagement of the Arab spring. Republicans might as well fly the Palin/Bachmann ticket grin
Re: Republicans Win Control Of The US Congress by Missy89(f): 8:55am On Nov 05, 2014
Lucasbalo:
You are right. Have alway said what's being practiced in Nigeria is Kleptocracy not Democracy.

There is no democracy anywhere. America's false choice is no democracy either.

The difference is that Nigerian electorates are not matured enough to vote based on ideologies unlike the American sheeple.

Either way elites win in both cases

2 Likes

Re: Republicans Win Control Of The US Congress by seanet02: 8:56am On Nov 05, 2014
What? This is another war in the making. This is blood letting in the making
Missy89:
Good news cool
Re: Republicans Win Control Of The US Congress by Nobody: 8:57am On Nov 05, 2014
GuyFawkes:

American politics stinks to be honest its taken a nasty turn for the worst with all the political gridlocks, its now a blue state Vs red state trench warfare.
What are the percentages of the the elections; whats the percentage of the people who voted; Americans are now dealing with an election cycle where corporations now have political and religious rights and have basically bought elections across the country. The same american electorate that thinks ebola comes from being in the same state as someone with ebola. The same electorate that, even in light of all the shootings in schools and communities, votes to allow guns to be carried in bars. God bless America cool
I'd suggest a constitutional amendment setting forth term limits for members of Congress. The max number of terms for Senators should be 3.
Members of the House should be given 4-year terms, instead of the present 2-year terms. This would ensure that Reps don't spend half of their term on fund-raising activities. However, I'd limit the Reps to 4 terms.

18 years in the Senate, and 16 yrs in the House is enough for any lawmaker to make his/her mark on Capitol Hill.
Re: Republicans Win Control Of The US Congress by Nobody: 9:00am On Nov 05, 2014
GuyFawkes:

I'd pick Elizabeth Warren over Hillary Clinton, she's a war hawk abeg. She threw Obama under the bus in her book -well every Demoocrat is doing that. She must take responsibility as well for Libya and the mismanagement of the Arab spring. Republicans might as well fly the Palin/Bachmann ticket grin
Lmao @ "Palin/Bachmann" grin cheesy grin
SNL, Colbert, Bill Maher et al would have a field day making caricatures of the duo grin
Re: Republicans Win Control Of The US Congress by tomakint: 9:00am On Nov 05, 2014
Lucasbalo:
That's a funny question from you. I don't need to argue with you. You are entitled to your opinion. Off to bed I go.
Really? your 'off to bed .....' is funnier
Re: Republicans Win Control Of The US Congress by Missy89(f): 9:03am On Nov 05, 2014
seanet02:
What? This is another war in the making. This is blood letting in the making

Vietnam, Libya, East Timor, Kosovo,Korea, Somalia, Yemen were all spearheaded by Democrats
Re: Republicans Win Control Of The US Congress by seanet02: 9:08am On Nov 05, 2014
You right but Republicans are worse.
Missy89:

Vietnam, Libya, East Timor, Kosovo,Korea, Somalia, Yemen were all spearheaded by Democrats
Re: Republicans Win Control Of The US Congress by Missy89(f): 9:09am On Nov 05, 2014
seanet02:
You right but Republicans are worse.

How? there is no good or bad war.
Re: Republicans Win Control Of The US Congress by seanet02: 9:12am On Nov 05, 2014
Of recent. Republicans are dam horrible.
Missy89:

How? there is no good or bad war.
Re: Republicans Win Control Of The US Congress by Missy89(f): 9:16am On Nov 05, 2014
seanet02:
Of recent. Republicans are dam horrible.

And how is that?
Re: Republicans Win Control Of The US Congress by publicenemy(m): 12:30pm On Nov 05, 2014
Missy89:

These were proxy wars or military operations not direct confrontational wars. The republicans are more confrontational and they being in power would put Russia in check.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Only Beautiful Virgin Girls Are Allowed To Guard Gadafi / Democracy The Most Rigged Political System Joe Biden Already Selected / Bishop T.D Jakes And Minister Joe Wright On Homosexuality.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.