Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,209 members, 7,807,703 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 05:43 PM

Six North Carolina Judges Resign Over Refusal To Conduct Same-sex Weddings. - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Six North Carolina Judges Resign Over Refusal To Conduct Same-sex Weddings. (872 Views)

Church Aborts Couple’s Wedding Over Groom’s Refusal To Remove Designer Shoes / Father Mbaka Warns Judges Over Cultism / Kumuyi Offers To Resign Over Son's Wedding Controversy (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Six North Carolina Judges Resign Over Refusal To Conduct Same-sex Weddings. by elampiro(m): 10:57am On Nov 05, 2014
Four More North Carolina Judges Resign Over Refusal To Conduct Same-Sex Weddings

October 30, 2014
Since gay marriage was legalized in North Carolina on Oct. 10, at least six North Carolina judges have resigned from their benches because they do not want to go against their Christian faith and conduct wedding ceremonies for same-sex couples.

While it was reported last week that Rockingham County magistrate John Kallam Jr. and Swain County magistrate Gilbert Breedlove resigned from their positions because of the legalization of gay marriage, media reports have surfaced indicating that at least four other magistrates have done the same.

All six magistrates, Kallam, Breedlove, Bill Stevenson (Gaston County), Tommy Holland (Graham County), Gayle Myrick (Union County) and Jeff Powell (Jackson County) say they are waiting on God to give them direction in starting the next phases of their lives.

Stevenson is the latest judge to have publicized that he has stepped down from his position citing religious conflicts with the newly passed North Carolina marriage law.

Although reports surfaced only just this week that Stevenson had resigned, he issued his resignation on Oct. 16, just six days after same-sex marriage was legalized in the state.

"It was something I had to do out of conscience," Stevenson told NBC's Charlotte affiliate. "I felt like to perform same-sex unions would be in violation of the Lord's commands, so I couldn't do that."

Although Stevenson has only been a magistrate for over a year and a half, he is not concerned that he will be losing his main source of income as North Carolina Magistrates get paid more than $50,000 a year, according to the Winston-Salem Journal.

"I hate to wax it so biblical but it says 'what good is it for a man to gain the whole world but lose his own soul,'" Stevenson said. "So, that's the stakes I put on this."
http://m.christianpost.com/news/four-more-north-carolina-judges-resign-over-refusal-to-conduct-same-sex-weddings--128890/
Re: Six North Carolina Judges Resign Over Refusal To Conduct Same-sex Weddings. by morefire: 10:58am On Nov 05, 2014
elampiro:
Four More North Carolina Judges Resign Over Refusal To Conduct Same-Sex Weddings

October 30, 2014
Since gay marriage was legalized in North Carolina on Oct. 10, at least six North Carolina judges have resigned from their benches because they do not want to go against their christian faith.

While it was reported last week that Rockingham County magistrate John Kallam Jr. and Swain County magistrate Gilbert Breedlove resigned from their positions because of the legalization of gay marriage, media reports have surfaced indicating that at least four other magistrates have done the same.

All six magistrates, Kallam, Breedlove, Bill Stevenson (Gaston County), Tommy Holland (Graham County), Gayle Myrick (Union County) and Jeff Powell (Jackson County) say they are waiting on God to give them direction in starting the next phases of their lives.

Stevenson is the latest judge to have publicized that he has stepped down from his position citing religious conflicts with the newly passed North Carolina marriage law.

Although reports surfaced only just this week that Stevenson had resigned, he issued his resignation on Oct. 16, just six days after same-sex marriage was legalized in the state.

"It was something I had to do out of conscience," Stevenson told NBC's Charlotte affiliate. "I felt like to perform same-sex unions would be in violation of the Lord's commands, so I couldn't do that."

Although Stevenson has only been a magistrate for over a year and a half, he is not concerned that he will be losing his main source of income as North Carolina Magistrates get paid more than $50,000 a year, according to the Winston-Salem Journal.

"I hate to wax it so biblical but it says 'what good is it for a man to gain the whole world but lose his own soul,'" Stevenson said. "So, that's the stakes I put on this."
http://m.christianpost.com/news/four-more-north-carolina-judges-resign-over-refusal-to-conduct-same-sex-weddings--128890/

only in america

unlike Nigeria where Atiku said PDP was corrupt and didnt mean good for Nigeria left for ACN (still the only party I respect a little in this country) dumped the ACN and went back to the same PDP now again is making noise through APC..

i keep asking why did the nigga not resign as VP back in day and accuse OBJ of not having plans for Nigeria and Corruption

when will a serving Nigeria Officer resign from office because he feels the corruption is too much

instead all we see is one PDP thief crossing to APC telling me he has seen the light and yall come here and fight yourselves

Ha God show my youths the truth about ds people
Re: Six North Carolina Judges Resign Over Refusal To Conduct Same-sex Weddings. by eyeview: 11:32am On Nov 05, 2014
They shouldn't have resigned. If everybody keep resigning,how will the war on ant-gay marriages be won? Instead,let everybody who calls the name of the Lord use their office to resist this evil that has plagued the world.
Re: Six North Carolina Judges Resign Over Refusal To Conduct Same-sex Weddings. by elampiro(m): 1:55pm On Nov 05, 2014
eyeview:
They shouldn't have resigned. If everybody keep resigning,how will the war on ant-gay marriages be won? Instead,let everybody who calls the name of the Lord use their office to resist this evil that has plagued the world.

Did you read it?

They resigned in order not to 'conduct' gay marriage for gay people against bible laws.
Re: Six North Carolina Judges Resign Over Refusal To Conduct Same-sex Weddings. by eyeview: 2:16pm On Nov 05, 2014
elampiro:

Did you read it?

They resigned in order not to 'conduct' gay marriage for gay people against bible laws.

Yes,I read it.
But the power in changing or repealing a law is in the population of those that can push for it. If everybody resign,how will whoever that rises up gather support from the bench?
Re: Six North Carolina Judges Resign Over Refusal To Conduct Same-sex Weddings. by elampiro(m): 3:23pm On Nov 05, 2014
eyeview:

Yes,I read it.
But the power in changing or repealing a law is in the population of those that can push for it. If everybody resign,how will whoever that rises up gather support from the bench?

Judges are not law makers na. These people are more like meant to implement the law. What they are saying is that they can not implement laws that are against the laws of God.

(1) (Reply)

"Did Jesus Really Exist? Is There Any Historical Evidence Of Jesus Christ?" / Girl Falls 30ft Headfirst Inside Hollow Tree, Says She Met Jesus / Defence, Proofs Or Indicatuons That Presents MARY As PERPETUAL VIRGIN

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.