Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,896 members, 7,802,883 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 01:33 AM

Why Are We Christians Not United? Why The Division? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Why Are We Christians Not United? Why The Division? (5902 Views)

Why Are Christians Not United? / Funny Things We Christians Say Without Checking / Please, What Are We Christians Saved From? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Are We Christians Not United? Why The Division? by Ukutsgp(m): 11:43am On Nov 05, 2014
1corinthians 1:10-13.

10 Now I plead with you, brethren, by the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, that you all speak the same thing, and that there be no divisions among you, but that you be perfectly joined together in the same mind and in the same judgment. 11 For it has been declared to me concerning you, my brethren, by those of Chloe’s household, that there are contentions among you. 12 Now I say this, that each of you says, “I am of Paul,” or “I am of Apollos,” or “I am of Cephas,” or “I am of Christ.” 13 Is Christ divided? Was Paul crucified for you? Or were you baptized in the name of Paul?

God is not the author of confusion but it seems that there is confusion in Christendom today. it seems that Christians are longer united. different churches has their own doctrines and belief. Christians no longer speak the same thing. they no longer have one mind and are no longer ready to embrace one another.

the question is, why the division? is Christ divided?
why are we not speaking the same thing? why are we not united in the faith?

why is it that the catholic are not speaking the same thing with Christ embassy, why is Christ embassy not speaking the same thing with celestial church, why is celestial church not speaking the same thing with Redeem christian church of God, why is Redeem christian church of God not speaking the same thing with seventh day adventist, why is seventh day adventist not speaking the same thing with Deeper life church, why is Deeper life church not speaking the same thing with church of Christ, why is church of Christ not speaking the same thing with Methodist church, why is Methodist church not speaking the same thing church of God mission, why is church of God mission not speaking the same thing with mountain of fire and miracles and why is mountain of fire and miracles not speaking the same thing with Jehovah witness?
is the bible not the same? are we not serving one God? and having one faith?

Ephesians 4:3-6
3 endeavoring to keep the unity of the Spirit in the bond of peace. 4 There is one body and one Spirit, just as you were called in one hope of your calling; 5 one Lord, one faith, one baptism; 6 one God and Father of all, who is above all, and through all, and in you a all.

Jesus wants the church to be united and be one. John 17:21.

we should not allow the atheist and Muslim to mock us. let the church find a lasting solution to this problem of division in doctrines and all others.

now, what are the solutions to this problems in Christendom? your views is needed.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Are We Christians Not United? Why The Division? by OLAADEGBU(m): 11:50am On Nov 05, 2014
Unison does not necessarily mean unity. There is no problem uniting but on what basis?
Re: Why Are We Christians Not United? Why The Division? by Nobody: 12:00pm On Nov 05, 2014
I don't see it like that, Ukut. This is how I see it.

If anything is true, it must be reflected trully and if it is reflected untrully, it is not the same thing.

There are not different versions of Christianity but confused people and rational people.
Re: Why Are We Christians Not United? Why The Division? by Ukutsgp(m): 12:07pm On Nov 05, 2014
OLAADEGBU:
Unison does not necessarily mean unity. There is no problem uniting but on what basis?
whether unison or unity or whatever u call it i dnt care. what matters is that christian must speak with one voice. they should preach the same thing. have one doctrine. not this one going here and another going there.
Re: Why Are We Christians Not United? Why The Division? by Nobody: 12:08pm On Nov 05, 2014
because of the likes of ukutsgp who keeps attacking the mother church

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Are We Christians Not United? Why The Division? by Ukutsgp(m): 12:24pm On Nov 05, 2014
chukwudi44:
because of the likes of ukutsgp who keeps attacking the mother church
i dnt attack ur church. i only bring what is spoken in the word of God and u people reject it.
Re: Why Are We Christians Not United? Why The Division? by Ukutsgp(m): 12:27pm On Nov 05, 2014
i think those who twist d scriptures to suit themselves are the major cause of the division in christendom.

2 Likes

Re: Why Are We Christians Not United? Why The Division? by dein77(m): 12:46pm On Nov 05, 2014
OP, you just took the words out of my mouth. I don't know why we are so divided. We hardly sing the same song. We hardly agree on a thing. We preach denomination instead of Christ. A house divided against itself cannot stand.
Re: Why Are We Christians Not United? Why The Division? by Rich4god(m): 12:54pm On Nov 05, 2014
Ukutsgp:
i think those who twist d scriptures to suit themselves are the major cause of the division in christendom.
Just like u do twist d bible to suit ur own self...

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why Are We Christians Not United? Why The Division? by Ukutsgp(m): 1:08pm On Nov 05, 2014
Rich4god:
Just like u do twist d bible to suit ur own self...
i dnt twist bible but i rightly divide the word of truth. many christians don't study the bible that's why they are ashamed. they only rely on their pastor when they have the holy ghost in them. 2 Timothy 2:15.
Re: Why Are We Christians Not United? Why The Division? by dein77(m): 1:13pm On Nov 05, 2014
It seems some people cherish and foment trouble. Some people can't seem to politely quote a person; they must make a personal attack.

Just watch as this thread confirms our division!

2 Likes

Re: Why Are We Christians Not United? Why The Division? by OLAADEGBU(m): 1:13pm On Nov 05, 2014
Ukutsgp:

whether unison or unity or whatever u call it i dnt care. what matters is that christian must speak with one voice. they should preach the same thing. have one doctrine. not this one going here and another going there.

For the churches to speak with one voice they must allow the Holy Spirit and the Word to govern their lives. The Holy Spirit churches did not come into existence either by doctrinal division or organisation. The Holy Spirit revival embraces almost all kinds of orthodoxy and church order. God pours out His Spirit with wonderful indifference to our differences. He appears to ignore whether we are RCC or DL, SDA or RCCG, and even less how we govern ourselves. Revival did not come by finding the New Testament structure of government, but by finding the New Testament pattern of experience and that is the supernatural manifestation of the Holy Spirit. The Holy Spirit pours Himself into the mold of any church setting that allows Him in. God said:

"In the last days, says God, I will pour out of my Spirit upon all flesh." (Acts 2,17).

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why Are We Christians Not United? Why The Division? by Ukutsgp(m): 3:01pm On Nov 05, 2014
dein77:
It seems some people cherish and foment trouble. Some people can't seem to politely quote a person; they must make a personal attack.

Just watch as this thread confirms our division!
dnt mind them. they like claiming to be the mother church and most of this division started from them. not only mother church they will soon become father church and cousins church.
Re: Why Are We Christians Not United? Why The Division? by Ukutsgp(m): 3:30pm On Nov 05, 2014
OLAADEGBU:

For the churches to speak with one voice they must allow the Holy Spirit and the Word to govern their lives. The Holy Spirit churches did not come into existence either by doctrinal division or organisation. The Holy Spirit revival embraces almost all kinds of orthodoxy and church order. God pours out His Spirit with wonderful indifference to our differences. He appears to ignore whether we are RCC or DL, SDA or RCCG, and even less how we govern ourselves. Revival did not come by finding the New Testament structure of government, but by finding the New Testament pattern of experience and that is the supernatural manifestation of the Holy Spirit. The Holy Spirit pours Himself into the mold of any church setting that allows Him in. God said:

"In the last days, says God, I will pour out of my Spirit upon all flesh." (Acts 2,17).

but many churches are govern or led by human traditions and dogma. How can they unite with the church of the holyspirit?
Re: Why Are We Christians Not United? Why The Division? by dein77(m): 3:37pm On Nov 05, 2014
Ukutsgp:
but many churches are govern or led by human traditions and dogma. How can they unite with the church of the holyspirit?

That's the problem. Believe me: When I was in my former place of worship, I erroneously believed anyone attending a church other than where I attended was doomed for hell. I never trusted the salvation of another.

But once I got the revelation of Christ, all those synthetic dogmas and beliefs peeled off my eyes like fish scales. I now relate better with others. I no longer have that attitude of spiritual superiority.

Most importantly, I now know we have ONLY ONE CHURCH. And that's where all Christians belong.
Re: Why Are We Christians Not United? Why The Division? by Ukutsgp(m): 4:58pm On Nov 05, 2014
We must purge the church of this nonsense. Some even import pagan stuff into the church. When christ said we should nt touch the unclean things. For churches to be united, we must turn our eyes from mundane things to the truth of the word of God.
Re: Why Are We Christians Not United? Why The Division? by dein77(m): 5:06pm On Nov 05, 2014
Church leaders should emphasize the oneness in the Body of Christ. There isn't any separate Heaven for every individual denomination. Many persons are quicker to tell you which church they attend rather than they being Christians. This must stop!

I find it very easy to attend any Bible believing Church.
Re: Why Are We Christians Not United? Why The Division? by honourhim: 6:55pm On Nov 05, 2014
Ukutsgp:

10 Now I plead with you, brethren, by the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, that you all speak the same thing, and that there be no divisions among you, but that you be perfectly joined together in the same mind and in the same judgment. 11 For it has been declared to me concerning you, my brethren, by those of Chloe’s household, that there are contentions among you. 12 Now I say this, that each of you says, “I am of Paul,” or “I am of Apollos,” or “I am of Cephas,” or “I am of Christ.” 13 Is Christ divided? Was Paul crucified for you? Or were you baptized in the name of Paul?

God is not the author of confusion but it seems that there is confusion in Christendom today. it seems that Christians are longer united. different churches has their own doctrines and belief. Christians no longer speak the same thing. they no longer have one mind and are no longer ready to embrace one another.

why is it that the catholic are not speaking the same thing with Christ embassy, why is Christ embassy not speaking the same thing with celestial church, why is celestial church not speaking the same thing with Redeem christian church of God, why is Redeem christian church of God not speaking the same thing with seventh day adventist, why is seventh day adventist not speaking the same thing with Deeper life church, why is Deeper life church not speaking the same thing with church of Christ, why is church of Christ not speaking the same thing with Methodist church, why is Methodist church not speaking the same thing church of God mission, why is church of God mission not speaking the same thing with mountain of fire and miracles and why is mountain of fire and miracles not speaking the same thing with Jehovah witness?

3 endeavoring to keep the unity of the Spirit in the bond of peace. 4 There is one body and one Spirit, just as you were called in one hope of your calling; 5 one Lord, one faith, one baptism; 6 one God and Father of all, who is above all, and through all, and in you a all.

we should not allow the atheist and Muslim to mock us. let the church find a lasting solution to this problem of division in doctrines and all others.

now, what are the solutions to this problems in Christendom? your views is needed.

What you said is right. One of the weapons that the enemy used in fighting the unity of the church is denomination. It is a disease that is not supposed to be allowed within us. I believe that was what paul cautioned the Corinthians about. Denomination produced the jealousy, hatred, fightings, pride and all sorts of nonsense we are seeing among us today. If we could start seeing people of other denominations as our brethren, nothwithstanding our dooctrinal differences, things will get better.

This brings us back to what Jesus told us to LOVE ONE ANOTHER as he(Jesus) loves us. Love is what will make us to pray for one another, support one another when anyone is going down. How many of us do pray for other churches as you pray for your church? I have long started educating the young ones in my church on the need to do away with denomination and see people in other churches as brethren. Love them as you love your church members, pray for them, support them when they need your help.

In our various families, we have our disagreements with our brothers and sisters and with our parents yet we love them, we pray for them, we support them. We dont say because we disagree with them in certain areas therefore they are no more related to us. So why is it that among us children of God, we see other churches as not our brethren because they dont agree exactly with us?

Its not enough to write it here. we all can start in our own little corners to educate people around us. We can also get ourselves together here and start driving the message of unity in diversity among brethren out there. We can spread the message through the media, tracts and magazines. Also through discussion group, seminars and other informal avenues. Once that love is established and the unity is back amongst us, so many things will correct in our doctrines without stress.
Re: Why Are We Christians Not United? Why The Division? by Hiswordxray(m): 9:03pm On Nov 05, 2014
The time is hear a new generation of Christians are rising up who will take the pure revelation of Christ and his body to the churches all around the world.

2 Likes

Re: Why Are We Christians Not United? Why The Division? by dein77(m): 9:28pm On Nov 05, 2014
Hiswordxray:
The time is hear a new generation of Christians are rising up who will take the pure revelation of Christ and his body to the churches all around the world.

The move is already started. It's about the revelation of Christ.
Re: Why Are We Christians Not United? Why The Division? by honourhim: 9:43pm On Nov 05, 2014
dein77:
Church leaders should emphasize the oneness in the Body of Christ. There isn't any separate Heaven for every individual denomination. Many persons are quicker to tell you which church they attend rather than they being Christians. This must stop!

I find it very easy to attend any Bible believing Church.

Church leaders may not catch the vision because they are enjoying the attention their congregation is giving them. It is me and you that should do it. We should take the message beyond here.
Re: Why Are We Christians Not United? Why The Division? by dein77(m): 9:46pm On Nov 05, 2014
honourhim:

Church leaders may not catch the vision because they are enjoying the attention their congregation is giving them. It is me and you that should do it. We should take the message beyond here.

Thanks. We are already doing that. Denomination was never Christ's idea.
Re: Why Are We Christians Not United? Why The Division? by honourhim: 10:38pm On Nov 05, 2014
dein77:

yea. I'm also on it.
Re: Why Are We Christians Not United? Why The Division? by Ukutsgp(m): 11:09pm On Nov 05, 2014
dein77:

do u think sectarianism will stop? do u think church can come together as one?
Re: Why Are We Christians Not United? Why The Division? by Hiswordxray(m): 11:24pm On Nov 05, 2014
The walls of denomination will surely fall down and the body of Christ will be united as one. All the forces of hell can not stop this from happening. Read this book "From Eternity To Here" by Frank Viola, it will help you understand what the Church is. You can even download the pdf.

1 Like

Re: Why Are We Christians Not United? Why The Division? by gidjah(m): 11:26pm On Nov 05, 2014
OLAADEGBU:

I DO NOT THINK ALL DENOMINATIONS AGREES TO THIS HOLY SPIRIT thing o!that is another source of division
Re: Why Are We Christians Not United? Why The Division? by paxonel(m): 1:30am On Nov 06, 2014
Ukutsgp:

i think that, Christianity is not divided.
we only have the problem of Bible interpretation which is common in all religions because no one human being on earth is perfect.
the 1 Corinthians 1:10-13 you quoted is a case of not just a divided religion but a confused one as well, and should not be used to compare and explain the problem of today Christianity.
if you take a critical look at that 1 Corinthians 1:12 you quoted
1 Corinthians 1:12 Now this I say, that every one of you saith, I am of Paul(meaning,Paul is the founder of my religion, not Christ );
and I of Apollos(meaning, Apollos is the founder of my religion, not Christ );
and I of Cephas;(meaning, cephas is the the founder of my religion, not Christ )
and I of Christ.(meaning, Christ is the founder of my religion, therefore i am a Christian).
yet, they were all converted(to convert means to make people change their religion ) into Christianity by Paul initially, but later,they began to see their closest local leader in the same Christianity they were converted into, as the founder of their new religion rather than seeing Jesus as the founder.
remember, Jesus is the founder of Christianity just like Mohammed founded Islam and Abraham founded Judaism. and Christianity was new at that time
but Paul told them,in
1 Corinthians 1:13 Is Christ divided?(meaning, is Jesus founded Christianity only for you adherents of Christianity (christians ) to later say Paul or Apollos or cephas founded the religion?
was Paul crucified for you? or were ye baptized in the name of Paul?
God (which also implies Jesus the author or founder of Christianity ) did not found confusion (a confused religion )
now, with this, we can know the key index of a confused religion which i don't think do exist (even if it exist it will never stand the test of time, it adherents will soon disperse to other religions)
a confused religion is a religion whose members have divided views, as to, who founded the religion in question.
i don't think this is the case in Christianity today , because everybody in Christianity (Catholic or Protestants) have it or believe,that Jesus is their founder and the Messiah, which is the basis of our unity, AND OUR SALVATION , so we are not divided.
the only problem we have is Bible interpretation problem, not the problem of not accepting or confessing Jesus ,to go and confess Paul or Apollos or cephas as our saviour.
Bible interpretation problem has caused the division you are seeing, so that we now have Catholic, protestants with different sects.
it happen because christians don't study their bible, they only read it for religious gratification.
it is like this in all religions.
therefore, it is not Christianity or the Bible or God that is confused but it is the people practising the religion that are confused (especially all our pastors ).
Bible has one message which is LOVE, and is summarized into two.
1. Love God with all your heart (by believing in Christ )
2.Love your neigbour as yourself (keep the laws of moses )
we have no problem with no1,but no2 is giving us severe headache to keep because our pastors don't study (prominent pastors ),so we suffer a lot .
thank God, our salvation is not based on no2 but no1, because, everybody for dey hell fire by now.
Re: Why Are We Christians Not United? Why The Division? by Ukutsgp(m): 6:58am On Nov 06, 2014
@paxonel.
christians are not perfectly united in one mind and with one judgement. everyone follows his own view whether it conform with that of christ or not. if i speak A and u speak B, we are not one. we are speaking different thing hence not united. why can't Christians worship God under one body church? why denominationalism? why sectarianism? it makes other religion to see christians as confused people.

Jehovah witness said there is no hell fire, Redeem said that there is hell fire. wont someone listening to them be confused? it means that one of them have deviated from the words of christ thereby not following christ.

1 Like

Re: Why Are We Christians Not United? Why The Division? by dein77(m): 7:09am On Nov 06, 2014
Ukutsgp:
@paxonel.
christians are not perfectly united in one mind and with one judgement. everyone follows his own view whether it conform with that of christ or not. if i speak A and u speak B, we are not one. we are speaking different thing hence not united. why can't Christians worship God under one body church? why denominationalism? why sectarianism? it makes other religion to see christians as confused people.

Jehovah witness said there is no hell fire, Redeem said that there is hell fire. wont someone listening to them be confused? it means that one of them have deviated from the words of christ thereby not following christ.

Bro, JWs are NOT Christians. Anybody that denies the Godhead of Christ are NOT Christians.
Re: Why Are We Christians Not United? Why The Division? by paxonel(m): 7:18am On Nov 06, 2014
Ukutsgp:
@paxonel.

that is true
Re: Why Are We Christians Not United? Why The Division? by paxonel(m): 7:20am On Nov 06, 2014
dein77:

Bro, JWs are NOT Christians. Anybody that denies the Godhead of Christ are NOT Christians.
you have a point there,
they say he is not God, he is a son, like every other prophets
Re: Why Are We Christians Not United? Why The Division? by Dreal1247: 8:10am On Nov 06, 2014
Having read all ur comments, in my own opinion, this is is an extremely complicated issue. Saying there is confuspino in christiandom is an understatement. There is catastrophy. Most pastors are more interested in personal fame, wealth, gathering multitudes as followers, etc than the salvation of the followers. Because of this, the level of occultism is so much in the church. Instead of trying to prove to the world that you are together, you loose your salvation. Stay alone. God knows those who are his. Some pastors are worse than fetish priests. Phil 2:12, Matt 13:24-30.
WORK OUT YOUR OWN SALVATION WITH FEAR AND TREMBLING. My candid opinion.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Since I've Joined Nairaland,what I've Learned About Atheism / It's Palm Sunday - Blessed Is He Who Comes In The Name Of The Lord / "when The Missionaries Arrived, The Africans Had The Land:

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 73
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.