Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,750 members, 7,806,046 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 10:41 AM

Oppression & Extortion By Edo State Traffic Management Agency (EDSTMA) - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Oppression & Extortion By Edo State Traffic Management Agency (EDSTMA) (21322 Views)

Law School Staff In Accident In Edo State. (See Photos) / Female AAU Student Crushed To Death In Edo State (see Photo) / Planned Massive Extortion By Traffic Enforcement Agencies In The United States (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Oppression & Extortion By Edo State Traffic Management Agency (EDSTMA) by Nobody: 12:44pm On Nov 05, 2014
last week I parked my vehicle in a place that had no "no parking" sign & There was another vehicle parked in my front with a police license plate

I barely spent 20mins in the office I went to, when I came out my vehicle had been towed.

Luckily for me their office was not so far off, got there and explained to the man who seem to be incharge, he claimed that, that was a no parking zone, I asked him how he expected me to know without the no parking sign, his response was "everyone knows"

he directed me to another woman to attend to me, she charged me N25,000, stating that 20,000 was for my offense & 5,000 was for the tow truck.

Long story short ended up paying N10,000. When I asked for receipt they handed the money back to me & asked that I go pay the 25,000, then I'll have a receipt. I paid the N10,000 & drove off

Points to note

1. Selective justice:why didn't they tow the vehicle in my front(note it wasn't a utility van or a patrol van)

2. They deflated my tires despite the fact they had a well fortified gate(the Vulcanizer initially charged me N400 for 2tires, ended up paying N200) why should I pay for this?

3.Everyone knows what the official fines are for FRSC but EDSTMA does not show you any official list of fines to be paid( so how do I know I'm not being ripped off)

There were so many cars there with lots of shouting, threats & pleas majority of the offenders there were wrong parking & violation of traffic light, none paid less than N5000

I read in a vanguard article where the Governor said that violators of tragic light should be detained for at least 2hrs, I don't know if there are any fines attached to it but when you get to their office, you must pay

If truly the pen is mightier than the sword, I hereby plead with all to help me pass the message to the appropriate authorities that:

1. The public should be informed on the extent of the powers of EDSTMA(I have tried searching the bill enabling them, I haven't found any)

2. The public should be informed of the official fines to be paid so that when arrested, you will not be ripped off

3.A platform should be created for the public to report erring officials of EDSTMA

Thanks

37 Likes 7 Shares

Re: Oppression & Extortion By Edo State Traffic Management Agency (EDSTMA) by Nobody: 12:45pm On Nov 05, 2014

He said: “You must not extort, you must not criminalise innocent people, you must not let offenders go after extortion. If anybody beats the red
light, you must arrest the person, no matter his status. If it’s the governor or deputy governor, you must arrest and interrogate him. The only person exempted from the red light rule is the President or Vice President, when they visit, in which case the
road will be blocked for their easy passage.

So, if you can stop and interrogate the governor for beating the red light rule, no other person is bigger in the state whom you can’t stop. Anybody that contravenes the red light rule, stop him and detain him for at least two hours Many innocent people have been crushed because someone wanted to contravene the red light rule. This must stop.

www.vanguardngr.com/2014/03/oshiomhole-edo-traffic-mgt-agency-arrest/

The governor didn't talk about fines, maybe there are fines

but the question is what is the official amount?

Why should I pay for the towing van?

Why should I pay to inflate my tires?

For 2 days I wasn't myself, felt so bad & angry. I'm immensely concerned because the Yuletide seasons are here & these corrupt official are going to increase their extortion.

If you are from Benin you will know the influx of cars in Benin around the Yuletide season. if this is not checked, then it will be a field day for EDSTMA

1 Like

Re: Oppression & Extortion By Edo State Traffic Management Agency (EDSTMA) by YungwizzzyPt7: 12:59pm On Nov 05, 2014
Oshiomole boys don take this one shine grin grin

6 Likes

Re: Oppression & Extortion By Edo State Traffic Management Agency (EDSTMA) by doroboss(m): 2:50pm On Nov 05, 2014
At least you don help bois know the unofficial price grin

As a sharp man b4 you park your car in an unknow place, ask people arround simple quaestion (dem de park here?)

I sympathised with you small sha.

Doroboss. cool

15 Likes

Re: Oppression & Extortion By Edo State Traffic Management Agency (EDSTMA) by colossus2: 4:55am On Nov 06, 2014
Just seeing this thread. This was my comment on a latter thread.

I wish those useless oshiomole boys in Benin could be judged also.
Funny enough, those useless boys now have tactics to make people violate traffic.
They have colleagues who wear mufti and stay in their personal rickety cars to block you on traffic, only for them to move at the time the light will be against you.
If you move na gobe, if you no move same gobe.
I wonder what their mission is because most of the time people don't violate these rules in Benin before those toutish warders stop you.
If you are a novice in Benin, please wind up, pin down and turn on your AC while driving on
1. Sapele road (before/after kada cinema)
2. Ring road (them no dey waste time to stop you)
3. I think they call it 5-junction (coming from ugbowo towards new-benin and vice versa)

10 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Oppression & Extortion By Edo State Traffic Management Agency (EDSTMA) by colossus2: 5:02am On Nov 06, 2014
YungwizzzyPt7:
Oshiomole boys don take this one shine grin grin
It's not funny man.
Sometimes I believe nigerians are happy when the common man is being oppressed.
I for one don't give bribe.
If you stop me on the way and say "oga anything for us?" I would give that officer something for being sincere in asking.
But not when I am right and you try to castigate me.
We should rise above hate for the common man dude.

18 Likes 1 Share

Re: Oppression & Extortion By Edo State Traffic Management Agency (EDSTMA) by colossus2: 5:21am On Nov 06, 2014
The 1st time the so called EDSTMA stopped me, I was driving by the roundabout at ring-road. There was traffic, instead of these men to help in freeing traffic, they were looking for who to fault.
Traffic eased a bit and I moved, next thing was these men entered my car and say I should drive to their office.
I asked what my offence was and they said "diversion of lane".
I was like for roundabout again when hold-up dey and I no even divert lane.
Them begin call price dey bill me oh Shuo.
I just drive dey go, the man begin hold my steering oh. I tell am say I no dey stay this state.
The plan when I bin get to say road free na to drive go my destination make dem beat them.
Last last the person wen accompany me just give them 1k make dem dey go.

Before they fault you, them go 1st spy if your plate number no be Edo state.

4 Likes

Re: Oppression & Extortion By Edo State Traffic Management Agency (EDSTMA) by edubest(m): 5:48am On Nov 06, 2014
Welcome to Edo state, the heart beat of extortion and taut.

4 Likes

Re: Oppression & Extortion By Edo State Traffic Management Agency (EDSTMA) by Nobody: 8:08am On Nov 06, 2014
Oshomolie is proactive isn't there a way to get across to him

It's because of the public outcry that's why he stopped VIO in Benin & there was a time they churned out some folks wearing pink polo shirt(under ministry of transport), they too were stopped

I don't want EDSTMA to be stopped because its a source of job creation but they should be checked.

I really need to know who to pass this to the top, I have posted on the edo state government Facebook page, nothing yet

2 Likes

Re: Oppression & Extortion By Edo State Traffic Management Agency (EDSTMA) by Nobody: 8:36am On Nov 06, 2014
colossus2:
Just seeing this thread. This was my comment on a latter thread.

Pls can I get a link to that thread
Re: Oppression & Extortion By Edo State Traffic Management Agency (EDSTMA) by colossus2: 8:40am On Nov 06, 2014
Re: Oppression & Extortion By Edo State Traffic Management Agency (EDSTMA) by colossus2: 8:42am On Nov 06, 2014
solomonslones:
Oshomolie is proactive isn't there a way to get across to him

It's because of the public outcry that's why he stopped VIO in Benin & there was a time they churned out some folks wearing pink polo shirt(under ministry of transport), they too were stopped

I don't want EDSTMA to be stopped because its a source of job creation but they should be checked.

I really need to know who to pass this to the top, I have posted on the edo state government Facebook page, nothing yet

You can call on Seun to help push the thread to homepage or you mail supermods
Re: Oppression & Extortion By Edo State Traffic Management Agency (EDSTMA) by johnshagb(m): 11:18am On Nov 06, 2014
Those animals aka oshomole boys. Saw about four of them beat a single guy for insulting a staff. Pity no one could rescue the poor dude but to look on.

1 Like

Re: Oppression & Extortion By Edo State Traffic Management Agency (EDSTMA) by Nobody: 11:19am On Nov 06, 2014
Na agbero dem employ put for there now, is it not expected.

grin

2 Likes

Re: Oppression & Extortion By Edo State Traffic Management Agency (EDSTMA) by Beehshorp(m): 11:19am On Nov 06, 2014
An APC state why won't they extort from u

3 Likes

Re: Oppression & Extortion By Edo State Traffic Management Agency (EDSTMA) by Adyrin(m): 11:19am On Nov 06, 2014
Lyrically dem nor well Ooº°
Re: Oppression & Extortion By Edo State Traffic Management Agency (EDSTMA) by Nobody: 11:21am On Nov 06, 2014
[deleted]

2 Likes

Re: Oppression & Extortion By Edo State Traffic Management Agency (EDSTMA) by Nobody: 11:25am On Nov 06, 2014
APC ways of generating fraudulent funds

1 Like

Re: Oppression & Extortion By Edo State Traffic Management Agency (EDSTMA) by deebee13(f): 11:27am On Nov 06, 2014
I rest my case with kano state karota guys! Those guys are worse dan d devil himself. So bad, dat some people prefer to take public transportation, dan drive their own car! Too much injustice in Nigeria!

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Autel OBD Scanner: Check that check engine! Buy a scanner. / Thermostat / 2017 Bugatti Sets World Record, 0 - 249MPH And Back To 0 In 41Seconds(Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.