Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,521 members, 7,808,900 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 06:59 PM

Oppression & Extortion By Edo State Traffic Management Agency (EDSTMA) - Car Talk (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Oppression & Extortion By Edo State Traffic Management Agency (EDSTMA) (21329 Views)

Law School Staff In Accident In Edo State. (See Photos) / Female AAU Student Crushed To Death In Edo State (see Photo) / Planned Massive Extortion By Traffic Enforcement Agencies In The United States (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Oppression & Extortion By Edo State Traffic Management Agency (EDSTMA) by paulavon: 3:06pm On Nov 06, 2014
solomonslones:

Lets assume this is the official amount, I wasn't even told about unauthorized & illegal parking, I was just told 20k for the offense.

Isn't that too high for such an offense? whooping 23k, in a state that Is filled with civil servants receiving 18k as minimum wage?

Was the agency setup to generate revenue?

Is this rate commensurate with global prices?

how then do you check extortion, officials are setting folks up, turning a blind eye to ur actions only to pounce on you, knowing fully well that you wouldn't want to pay the "high official amount" (which is yet to be ascertained)

The problem is that the agency was set up to fund itself,workers salaries are paid from what they generate.Whenever they tow your car just know the minimum you will pay is 10k.most of workers are just been overzealous because of the day to day personal money they make.But the agency has laid off a lot of them that are found to be corrupt.The situation is a bit better now.
Re: Oppression & Extortion By Edo State Traffic Management Agency (EDSTMA) by paulavon: 3:13pm On Nov 06, 2014
EvilSeeed:

SO you paid bribe twice.. angry

And you are not ashamed to say it.. angry

And tomorrow you will point fingers at our politicians and call them corrupt.. angry
I don't like commenting on this forum because of people like these.For your information I did not pay bribe,I had to beg and they reduced my bill from 23k to 10k.I paid at their office rather than going to the bank.
Re: Oppression & Extortion By Edo State Traffic Management Agency (EDSTMA) by EvilSeeed: 3:27pm On Nov 06, 2014
paulavon:

I don't like commenting on this forum because of people like these.For your information I did not pay bribe,I had to beg and they reduced my bill from 23k to 10k.I paid at their office rather than going to the bank.

Hahahahahahahaaaaaa...... grin

Hahahahahahahahaaaaaaa.............................. This is pricelessly stupiid.. grin

Like seriously bro, you need to NEVER comment on this forum again if this is the bullshiit you have to say. grin

You dey price fine? grin

#Faints..

1 Like

Re: Oppression & Extortion By Edo State Traffic Management Agency (EDSTMA) by kajoula(m): 3:35pm On Nov 06, 2014
colossus2:

It's not funny man.
Sometimes I believe nigerians are happy when the common man is being oppressed.
I for one don't give bribe.
If you stop me on the way and say "oga anything for us?" I would give that officer something for being sincere in asking.
But not when I am right and you try to castigate me.
We should rise above hate for the common man dude.

e be like ....nor be naija u dey,abi grin ?
Make Oshiomole boys get small chance hold you shocked ....u go explain your "I for one don't give bribe" english.
Re: Oppression & Extortion By Edo State Traffic Management Agency (EDSTMA) by EvilSeeed: 3:39pm On Nov 06, 2014
solomonslones:

Corrected 

When a mason tells you of how he connived with your brother to swindle you of cement, your immediate concern should be how to put your brother in check before dealing with the mason

they are supposed to uphold the law & not victimize or oppress citizens, they are to reject bribes when offered & have them arrested

they are not to set traps for citizens to fall into

if after this you say otherwise, kindly unfollow this thread 

Analogies.... lol 

Let me give you a proper one:

A man standing at a junction is arrested by the police for driving without a licence.. He is then fine 5000 Naira and then he begs and pays a bribe of 2000 Naira.. When I meet him, the first question would be WHY DID YOU PAY THEM A DIME?

They are supposed to enforce the law and they did by charging you the official fine of 25'k for illegal parking.. 

You are also supposed to obey the law by either paying the official fine and obtaining a receipt or challenging the charge and fine by going to court..

If you don't offer bribes, they would receive any bribes.. Thats why it a crime to GIVE and RECEIVE bribes.. So you need to stop acting like a victim cos you are not..

I am not justifying their actions as I actually know that they are easier to deal with, I am only pointing out to you that you committed an even bigger offence of bribing an official..

Infact, illegal parking is a traffic violation is classified as an infraction.. Thats why you are not arrested for it (even by the police) but rather ur vehicle is impounded and you are fined..

Bribery on the other hand is a much bigger offence (a Felony) that is punishable by jail time without the option of a fine..

So you my friend committed a way bigger crime..
Re: Oppression & Extortion By Edo State Traffic Management Agency (EDSTMA) by stildude(m): 3:41pm On Nov 06, 2014
Now here are some facts about Oshiomole Police or EDSTMA.

1. They remit money to their superiors e.g Governor, Transport Commissioner, etc. So, most likely your complaints will not be attended to cos the boys are on errands carrying out their assignments just like motor part agberos do.

2. Like one poster narrated, they will forcefully hold you even if you haven't committed any offence. Most of the time, you are alone and they are three in number, so no one may believe you. one of them may even swear on one deity or the other that you have committed a traffic offence. Sometimes they will seize your car key so that they can bill you for tow service. when you are more than two, they most likely will not bother you even if you have committed an offence.

3. They are uncontrollable, most of them cultists and APC boys who are raising money for their party agenda.

4. They have offence fine list that is outrageous cos the penalty is way way higher than the offence. for instance, FRSC fine for seat belt violation may be 5k, theirs may be 15k. They bill you arbitrariry, for one victim tow fine of 3k another 10k. They want you to beg for leniency and opt to pay cash instead of bank by giving you those outrageous bills. like the OP, the total offence should not be less than 8k i.e 3k for tow, 5k for the unauthorized parking. so they first bill you 25k so that making you pay 10k unofficially becomes easy. (why even give him an offence of illegal parking and unauthorized parking at the same time in the first place)

5. Most of them have absolutely no knowledge of traffic management and offences, they are there as enforcers and muscle men. I suspect they even get the installers of traffic lights to manipulate the lights functionality to confuse road users, so they can hold you down with one offence or the other. That may be the reason why most of the traffic lights creates disorder and confusion for motorists.

6. some of them have been beaten, stabbed, maimed and even assassinated due to their extortion of the innocent.

7. one day, there will be an uprising against those demons and their leader who they sometimes refer to as the name of a popular cult group leader in the country will be hanged.

...so many more, now what are you going to do about it?. you could start by casting your vote against the oppressionist govt.

2 Likes

Re: Oppression & Extortion By Edo State Traffic Management Agency (EDSTMA) by Nobody: 3:59pm On Nov 06, 2014
EvilSeeed:

Analogies.... lol

Let me give you a proper one:

A man standing at a junction is arrested by the police for driving without a licence.. He is then fine 5000 Naira and then he begs and pays a bribe of 2000 Naira.. When I meet him, the first question would be WHY DID YOU PAY THEM A DIME?

They are supposed to enforce the law and they did by charging you the official fine of 25'k for illegal parking..

You are also supposed to obey the law by either paying the official fine and obtaining a receipt or challenging the charge and fine by going to court..

If you don't offer bribes, they would receive any bribes.. Thats why it a crime to GIVE and RECEIVE bribes.. So you need to stop acting like a victim cos you are not..

I am not justifying their actions as I actually know that they are easier to deal with, I am only pointing out to you that you committed an even bigger offence of bribing an official..

Infact, illegal parking is a traffic violation is classified as an infraction.. Thats why you are not arrested for it (even by the police) but rather ur vehicle is impounded and you are fined..

Bribery on the other hand is a much bigger offence (a Felony) that is punishable by jail time without the option of a fine..

So you my friend committed a way bigger crime..

I hope you saw where I replied that you "guilty as charged"

now government should do its part

Mr law, the last video that showed a policeman soliciting for bribe, the police was dismissed, did you hear anything about the man that offered the bribe(I'm not in support of bribe)

these folks have a way of frustrating you, you end up coughing out the money?

How was I supposed to know that the 25k was official?

What about that man whose initial charge was 15k(mind you, the paper had been prepared for this amount) & later reduced to 5k(was still asked to go pay this in the bank)

Is there any regularity here?

Haven't you gone through other post here, aren't you seeing the oppression

In saner countries, when about to park wrongly you are warned rather than allow you park & the. Impounded

Pls tell me, when 3 officials jump into your vehicle, in the name traffic light violation, how do you prove your innocence in their office without traffic camera?

It becomes your word against theirs

If there is an effective platform to report them, there will be a change

I'm tired of making my point known to you
Re: Oppression & Extortion By Edo State Traffic Management Agency (EDSTMA) by EvilSeeed: 4:01pm On Nov 06, 2014
stildude:
Now here are some facts about Oshiomole Police or EDSTMA.

1. They remit money to their superiors e.g Governor, Transport Commissioner, etc. So, most likely your complaints will not be attended to cos the boys are on errands carrying out their assignments just like motor part agberos do.

2. Like one poster narrated, they will forcefully hold you even if you haven't committed any offence. Most of the time, you are alone and they are three in number, so no one may believe you. one of them may even swear one one deity or the other that you have committed a traffic offence. Sometimes they will seize your car key so that they can bill you for tow service. when you are more than two, they most likely will not bother you even if you have committed an offence.

3. They are uncontrollable, most of them cultists and APC boys who are raising money for their party agenda.

4. They have offence fine list that is outrageous cos the penalty are way way higher than the offence. for instance, FRSC fine for seat belt violation may be 5k, theirs may be 15k. They bill you at arbitrariry, for one victim tow fine of 3k another 10k. They want you to beg for leniency and opt to pay cash instead of bank by giving you those outrageous bills. like the OP, the total offence should not be less than 8k i.e 3k for tow, 5k for the unauthorized parking. so they first bill you 25k so that making you pay 10k unofficially becomes easy. (why even give him an offence of illegal parking and unauthorized parking at the same time in the first place)

5. Most of them don't have absolutely no knowledge of traffic management and offences, they are there as enforcers and muscle men. I suspect they even get the installers of traffic lights to manipulate the lights functionality to confuse road users, so they can hold you down with one offence or the other. That may be the reason why most of the traffic lights creates disorder and confusion for motorists.

6. some of them have been beaten, stabbed, maimed and even assassinated due to their extortion of the innocents.

7. one day, there will be an uprising against those demons and their leader who they sometimes refer to as the name of a popular cult group in the country.

...so many more, now what are you going to do about it?. you could start by casting your vote against the oppressionist govt.

[b]I agree with all except Number 1..

The maximum they do is they remit the cash to their station boss.

Thats why I never advocate people fighting with these guys. If you have not committed an offence, when they stop you, explain to them that you agree to have your car impounded if they are sure..

- Take Pictures of your car at the place where it was stopped for Evidence purpose..

- Never drive them to the station in your vehicle. Tell them to get a tow van and tow the vehicle (as it is illegal for them to enter your vehicle). Explain it to them that you intend to sue so if they want charges of criminal trespass to be added, then they had better get out of your car and call a tow van.

- Never Pay monies over the counter to anybody in their office.. ITS ILLEGAL and that money does not go to the state.

- You are correct, These people are clueless about traffic laws.

I was once stopped at an intersection and 4 of them jumped into my car. I immediately truned off my ignition, stowed away all valuables in the glovebox and locked it shut, put my keys safely inside my pocket, put on my phones camera and started recording.. First Questions:: WHo are you, why are you trespassing on my property and whats my offence. They said I jumped a Zebra crossing.. I started laughing. I just said No problem, please get out of my car and call a towing Van as it is illegal for you to be inside my car without my permission. I then came down and walked backwards for a few meters videoing and asked him to show me a Zebra Crossing on the road.. The rest of his colleagues sensing trouble all walked away. The guy also later walked away muttering something under his breath..

I refused to be intimidated.. And if I am wrong, I know I am wrong and I pay the fine or try to talk my way out of it. But ask for Bribe!! I dont give nobody any!

- Always DEMAND to see the fine list.. Its a right not a privilegde..

[/b]

1 Like

Re: Oppression & Extortion By Edo State Traffic Management Agency (EDSTMA) by Nobody: 4:06pm On Nov 06, 2014
My concern is why these fines are so high, I believe these high fines encourage bribery.

As someone noted, you have minimum wage being NGN18,000, while your typical traffic fine in Lagos would be like N25,000.

Our leaders are so rotten men!

How can a fine for something as common as traffic offenses eclipse the total amount of minimum wage in a country? Is that not madness?

In Texas for instance, you may get stopped for beating a red light and your fine would be $150, but what is the mininum wage in Texas? Last I checked, minimum wage there was about $7/hour.

So, lets say your average Joe Texan works for 40 hours/Week, he then earns weekly:

40hours * 7$/hour = $280

Monthly:

$280 * 4 = $1120.

So obviously the system there has taken into consideration the amount of their fines in relation to income of the citizens.

I just wonder why the leaders hate us so much in this country, while we also hate ourselves.

1 Like

Re: Oppression & Extortion By Edo State Traffic Management Agency (EDSTMA) by EvilSeeed: 4:11pm On Nov 06, 2014
solomonslones:

I hope you saw where I replied that you "guilty as charged"

now government should do its part

Mr law, the last video that showed a policeman soliciting for bribe, the police was dismissed, did you hear anything about the man that offered the bribe(I'm not in support of bribe)

these folks have a way of frustrating you, you end up coughing out the money?

How was I supposed to know that the 25k was official?

What about that man whose initial charge was 15k(mind you, the paper had been prepared for this amount) & later reduced to 5k(was still asked to go pay this in the bank)

Is there any irregularity here?

Haven't you gone through other post here, aren't you seeing the oppression

In saner countries, when about to park wrongly you are warned rather than allow you park & the. Impounded

Pls tell me, when 3 officials jump into your vehicle, in the name traffic light violation, how do you prove your innocence in their office without traffic light?

It becomes your word against theirs

If there is an effective platform to report them, there will be a change

I'm tired of making my point known to you

[b]1. Which Saner country have you been to?! Because I have lived, worked and driven in over 5 Western Countries (including the U.S, U.K, Canada and France).. When you park illegally, you are warned only if the officer is in a good mood.. Normally, they wait for you to park and leave and then come place a ticket on your windshield.. When your tickets have piled and remain unpaid, they come and 'Boot' your car or tow it away.. #FACT!

2. How were you supposed to know the 25'k was legal?! The moment you were asked to go pay it at the bank, then it was legal because the Bank payment goes straight to the government. SECONDLY.. It is your RIGHT to demand to see the fines list. It is also your RIGHT to challenge an illegal fine or charge.. Both these rights you chose to waive the moment you accepted to pay a bribe to beat paying the fine.

3. In the court of Law, its your word against theirs.. And just because they are three in number against you does not mean they would win as the one thing about lies is that under cross-examination, their stories would always change as they never cover the entire scenario that happened. The same way you have to prove your case against them is the same way they have to prove theirs against you.. SO you stand a very good chance. Go and ask around Lagos High Courts, many people have sued LASTMA and won.. Same thing for TIMARIV in rivers state..

4. The effective platform is the Courts.. Take them to court!! This is the highest abbitration body in the land. [/b]
Re: Oppression & Extortion By Edo State Traffic Management Agency (EDSTMA) by Nobody: 4:25pm On Nov 06, 2014
EvilSeeed:

[b]I agree with all except Number 1..

The maximum they do is they remit the cash to their station boss.

Thats why I never advocate people fighting with these guys. If you have not committed an offence, when they stop you, explain to them that you agree to have your car impounded if they are sure..

- Take Pictures of your car at the place where it was stopped for Evidence purpose..

- Never drive them to the station in your vehicle. Tell them to get a tow van and tow the vehicle (as it is illegal for them to enter your vehicle). Explain it to them that you intend to sue so if they want charges of criminal trespass to be added, then they had better get out of your car and call a tow van.

- Never Pay monies over the counter to anybody in their office.. ITS ILLEGAL and that money does not go to the state.

- You are correct, These people are clueless about traffic laws.

I was once stopped at an intersection and 4 of them jumped into my car. I immediately truned off my ignition, stowed away all valuables in the glovebox and locked it shut, put my keys safely inside my pocket, put on my phones camera and started recording.. First Questions:: WHo are you, why are you trespassing on my property and whats my offence. They said I jumped a Zebra crossing.. I started laughing. I just said No problem, please get out of my car and call a towing Van as it is illegal for you to be inside my car without my permission. I then came down and walked backwards for a few meters videoing and asked him to show me a Zebra Crossing on the road.. The rest of his colleagues sensing trouble all walked away. The guy also later walked away muttering something under his breath..

I refused to be intimidated.. And if I am wrong, I know I am wrong and I pay the fine or try to talk my way out of it. But ask for Bribe!! I dont give nobody any!

- Always DEMAND to see the fine list.. Its a right not a privilegde..

[/b]

It appears you are using the lenses of the. Western countries you have stayed in to speak here especially with regards to the court system

that why I have sought to know the bill empowering them, i haven't found it

I need to know what what the law empowers then to do & what they aren't allowed to do

You mentioned video recording, what if they had pounced on you or hit the camera thereby destroying it(I'm not a man of violence) what would you have done

I have written on the edo state government Facebook page, I have written to opendata(it's an edo state government ICT platform) seeking to know the bill empowering them, publish the official fine list & the platform to report erring officials

I'm not playing the victim card here
Re: Oppression & Extortion By Edo State Traffic Management Agency (EDSTMA) by itsmayiela(m): 4:34pm On Nov 06, 2014
Those thugs in Edo called "Oshiomole police" are vampires. They are selective in their extortion. If your plate number is not carrying Edo state and you cannot speak Bini or Ishan, u die well.

They will take you to their office along Sapele Road (b4 high court), deflate your tyres and then give you all sorts of outrageous charges.

I love Oshiomole but this is one of his worst creations ever!
Re: Oppression & Extortion By Edo State Traffic Management Agency (EDSTMA) by stonecoldcafe: 4:37pm On Nov 06, 2014
solomonslones:

he directed me to another woman to attend to me, she charged me N25,000, stating that 20,000 was for my offense & 5,000 was for the tow truck.

Long story short ended up paying N10,000. When I asked for receipt they handed the money back to me & asked that I go pay the 25,000, then I'll have a receipt. I paid the N10,000 & drove off

2. The public should be informed of the official fines to be paid so that when arrested, you will not be ripped off

3.A platform should be created for the public to report erring officials of EDSTMA

d correct fee was 25000 but of course u choose 2pay 10k dts y u didn't get d recepit (not judging u tho) EDHA u sld get a copy of d law for a small fee.
Re: Oppression & Extortion By Edo State Traffic Management Agency (EDSTMA) by EvilSeeed: 4:46pm On Nov 06, 2014
solomonslones:

It appears you are using the lenses of the. Western countries you have stayed in to speak here especially with regards to the court system

that why I have sought to know the bill empowering them, i haven't found it

I need to know what what the law empowers then to do & what they aren't allowed to do

You mentioned video recording, what if they had pounced on you or hit the camera thereby destroying it(I'm not a man of violence) what would you have done

I have written on the edo state government Facebook page, I have written to opendata(it's an edo state government ICT platform) seeking to know the bill empowering them, publish the official fine list & the platform to report erring officials

I'm not playing the victim card here

Knock what out of whose hands?! grin

You think say dem no dey fear?! Infact, I wish they would.. That would even make me richer.. grin

Lekwa something!!

Why not go to Court?!

Its like you are having appendicitis and rather than go to the hospital, you are praying inside your room. grin

Nwokem.. This matter is gone. Next time, dont give bribes.

Re: Oppression & Extortion By Edo State Traffic Management Agency (EDSTMA) by Projectors(m): 4:58pm On Nov 06, 2014
All the transport management agencies in Nigeria are just there to extort money from the populace. The same incidence happened to me on Monday this week just at Medical road in Ikeja. The driver parked the car just to drop items in car before we know it LASTMA had come to tow the car to their office with the driver inside the car.

Most of the Lastma officials are nothing but Agbero (Tout) , their mouth smelling of dry gin (ogogoro) early in the morning. I coughed out 18, 000 without receipt and I was told if they book it I will pay 60, 000.

The towing vehicle they used had a label for breakdown and recovery vehicle, that means instead of using it for breakdown vehicles , they are now using it for illegal deals.

I have said it, its of no use to create an agency without proper monitoring, they all know how to blast FG for their own agencies why there own is not attended to.

LASTMA should have a working website, a radio or TV program where people can call in or report erring officers and designated & functional phone numbers.

90 % of the offences they charge people for are unintentional and they take advantage of innocent people.

Gov Fashola cannot be everywhere but the Oga's in these agencies should make things work. This year alone I have spent more than 50, 000 to all these agencies.

Whenever I want to go out, I always pray not to enter these people wahala. The suppose to be helper on the road but they are terrorist on our roads.

God help us in Nigeria, God help us in lagos state oooooooo.
Re: Oppression & Extortion By Edo State Traffic Management Agency (EDSTMA) by EvilSeeed: 5:02pm On Nov 06, 2014
Projectors:
All the transport management agencies in Nigeria are just there to extort money the populace. The same incidence happened to me on Monday this week just at Medical road in Ikeja. The driver parked th car just to drop items in car before we know it LASTMA had come to tow the car to their office with the driver inside.

Most of the Lastma officials are nothing but Tout (Agbero), their mouth smelling of dry gin (ogogoro) early in the morning. I coughed out 18, 000 without receipt and I was told if they book it I will pay 60, 000.

The towing vehicle they used had a label for breakdown and recovery vehicle, that means instead of using it for breakdown vehicles , they are now using it for illegal deals.

I have said it, its of no use to create an agency without proper monitoring, they are know how to blast FG for their own agencies why there own is not attended to.

LASTMA should have a working website, a radio or TV program where people can call in or report erring officer and designated and functional phone numbers.

[size=16pt]90 % of the offences they charge people for are unintentional and they take advantage of innocent people.[/size]

Gov Fashola cannot be everywhere but the Oga's in these agencies should make things work. This year alone I have spent close to 50, 000 to all these agencies.

Whenever I want to go out, I always take extra care not to enter these people wahala. The suppose to be helper on the road but they are terrorist on our roads.

God help us in Nigeria, God help us in lagos state oooooooo.

At highlighted..

Ignorance has never been and still is not a defence in the court of law..
Re: Oppression & Extortion By Edo State Traffic Management Agency (EDSTMA) by Nobody: 5:03pm On Nov 06, 2014
stonecoldcafe:
d correct fee was 25000 but of course u choose 2pay 10k dts y u didn't get d recepit (not judging u tho) EDHA u sld get a copy of d law for a small fee.

How do you know 25k is the official fee? Haven't u read other post here that quoted 23k?

i don't get you, do you mean I should go to Edo state house of assembly(EDHA)to get the bill?
Re: Oppression & Extortion By Edo State Traffic Management Agency (EDSTMA) by EvilSeeed: 5:09pm On Nov 06, 2014
solomonslones:

How do you know 25k is the official fee? Haven't u read other post here that quoted 23k?

i don't get you, do you mean I should go to Edo state house of assembly(EDHA)to get the bill?

You are entitled to do so...

The Freedom of Information act even makes it a Constitutional right. cool
Re: Oppression & Extortion By Edo State Traffic Management Agency (EDSTMA) by Nobody: 5:17pm On Nov 06, 2014
Projectors:

LASTMA should have a working website, a radio or TV program where people can call in or report erring officers and designated & functional phone numbers.

In a saner climate, studies are performed on existing systems elsewhere, checking where they are doing well & where they aren't

Based on these, improvements are made & then the system is setup.

EDSTMA ought to have studied LASTMA before starting out!!

I look forward to your quote becoming a reality in benin
Re: Oppression & Extortion By Edo State Traffic Management Agency (EDSTMA) by egopersonified(f): 5:21pm On Nov 06, 2014
doroboss:

As a sharp man b4 you park your car in an unknow place, ask people arround simple quaestion (dem de park here?)

Exactly what I do, even if there are twenty cars parked, I still ask at least two people.

1 Like

Re: Oppression & Extortion By Edo State Traffic Management Agency (EDSTMA) by Nobody: 5:31pm On Nov 06, 2014
EvilSeeed:

You are entitled to do so...

The Freedom of Information act even makes it a Constitutional right. cool

Pls which part of the country do you reside in?

You keep talking about court system, have you taken any case to the Nigerian court before?

How much money do you think it would have cost me to take them to court?

Have you thought of my safety & security, should I decide to take the court route?

Remember most if them are touts, some don't even wear uniform!!

I learnt those guys work base on target, they are given a particular numbers of cars to bring in a given day, once that target is achieved, the remaining is their cut regardless of the number.

That's why if they haven't hit that daily target, you must follow them to their office(all pleas fall on deaf ears) & if they have, they will collect what you give to them, knowing fully well that is their cut.

so they try to hurriedly hit their target

1 Like

Re: Oppression & Extortion By Edo State Traffic Management Agency (EDSTMA) by PrinceMario(m): 5:32pm On Nov 06, 2014
EvilSeeed:

[b]Points I noted..

1. O.P parked illegally and got his car towed..

2. O.P paid a Bribe and demanded a reciept for the bribe as if it was a constitutional right.. grin

3. O.P willing participated in the crime of Bribery.

O.P's complaints addressed..

1. O.P thinks the fact that they towed his car and left the other 'police' tagged vehicle equals 'selective Justice'.. What he does not realise is that No illegality was perpertuated.. The officials resevre the right to tow any veihicle at their discretion according to available logistics. Meaning; They had only one towing Van, so they towed only 1 vehicle which just happens to belong to the OP.

2. The Deflated tyres are a part of the standard operations procedure.

3. If you were not shown the fine chart, why then did you pay?! You reserve the right to contest every fine in Court, but O.P rather paid a bribe.

FINALLY:: OP is part of the rot in our society.. You commited an offence, got your car impounded, was told the official fine that he would have paid to a bank and helped the internal revenue of the state and yet opted to pay a bribe.. Then turns around to call on Oshomole to play the victim.. angry

Shey if I slap you now people go say EDSTMA officials are heartless. angry[/b]
Oga keep shut and stop spewing trash here. is this not Nigeria where the common man is been oppressed. the Op is simply explaining the rot in Edo state you here defending those hungry mofos. must a car tires be deflated before been towed,did u took note of their response when the op told them there is no "No parking sign" at that spot and they replied with "every body knows". I stay in Lagos,should I know every spot where not to park a car in Edo state,even without a sign? This is pure extortion. why should their vulcanizer charge another #400 after the Op has paid the charged amount? where they not trying to extort visitors with a police man parking his personal car there and gives no sign that civilians are not to do the same? Think as a leader of tomorrow and not like those oppressing you. Sanity must return back to this country called Nigeria.

1 Like

Re: Oppression & Extortion By Edo State Traffic Management Agency (EDSTMA) by EvilSeeed: 5:47pm On Nov 06, 2014
PrinceMario:
Oga keep shut and stop spewing trash here. is this not Nigeria where the common man is been oppressed. the Op is simply explaining the rot in Edo state you here defending those hungry mofos. must a car tires be deflated before been towed,did u took note of their response when the op told them there is no "No parking sign" at that spot and they replied with "every body knows". I stay in Lagos,should I know every spot where not to park a car in Edo state,even without a sign? This is pure extortion. why should their vulcanizer charge another #400 after the Op has paid the charge amount? where they not trying to extort visitors with a police man parking his personal car there and gives no sign that civilians are not to do the same? Think as a leader of tomorrow and not like those oppressing you. Sanity must return back to this country called Nigeria.

[b]Same Nigeria where Baba Suwe got a 20 million naira settlement from the NDLEA?

Same Nigeria where the lady who was beaten up in public by Naval officers won a huge settlement in Court?

Same Nigeria where a woman won 15 Million Naira in punitive damages against LASTMA?

I didnt defend anybody.. If you read with 'UNDERSTANDING' you would have caught that..

The practice is to deflate the tyres inside of their office.. But if its deflated before being towed, I guess its understandable. The deflation of the tyres are to me very trivial in the grand scheme of this matter so stay focused.

The OP was not 'FORCED' to use their vulcanizer.. Again, the issue of the vulcanizer is trivial.. Na 400 naira matter you wan use waste my 3000 Naira bandwidth?! angry

I am thinking Son.. You on the onther hand are too emotional and emotions and objectivity barely go hand in hand..

I am not in support of what the EDSTMA did.. Its criminal to say the list.

But I am mgoing after the 'victim' of their criminality who took the easy road of bribery out instead of addressing the matter and seeing to it that his case became a legend for others to hear and be afraid.

This 'COMMON MAN' excuse is absolute bollocks. A Common woman kept an Oil Company in court for 4 years in a civil case of an accident involving their vehicle that led to a miscarriage.. Her settlement was later done out of court and it was epic. If she had adopted the 'Common woman syndrome', she would never have gotten justice.

Because he paid a bribe, his case has lost its cause. Its like me sleeping and a Policeman enters my house and arrests me for jay walking inside my bedroom.. I wouldnt be begging him for shiit but taking his ass to court..

And know this.. If you meet a good young hungry lawyer with a good case, most of them would take it on for free and only get paid after settlement. #FACT!
[/b]
Re: Oppression & Extortion By Edo State Traffic Management Agency (EDSTMA) by deletrue: 6:07pm On Nov 06, 2014
EvilSeeed:

Is that so?! grin

O well!! Thats your opinion and I can live with that... But my Post stands.. The OP is culpable for paying a bribe and should be in jail. Same for those who accepted the bribe.

What then is the right thing to do? These boys are real criminals and by God's grace, I have perfected plans to proscute them any moment from now.
Re: Oppression & Extortion By Edo State Traffic Management Agency (EDSTMA) by deletrue: 6:16pm On Nov 06, 2014
EvilSeeed:

SO you paid bribe twice.. angry

And you are not ashamed to say it.. angry

And tomorrow you will point fingers at our politicians and call them corrupt.. angry
why are you so uncultured. Do you know that you are a barbarian?
Re: Oppression & Extortion By Edo State Traffic Management Agency (EDSTMA) by deletrue: 6:21pm On Nov 06, 2014
EvilSeeed:

Says who?

A lady I know of was wrongfully harrassed by LASTMA officials in Lagos.. She simple alight from the Vehicle, brought out her Camera and started firing off Photographs. The LASTMA officials didnt understand what she was doing.. Then at some point, they literally overpowered her and forcibly removed her keys from her and drove off with her inside to their office..

Long Story short.. She sued them to Court and won about 15Million Naira in Punitive damages..

Meaning:: Evil only thirves when good men fail to act right.. The day we all decide to stop giving bribes is the day these officials would stop recieving bribes.. But the moment people are still willing to pay, then these guys would keep pushing their luck.
so one sue them? Better.
Re: Oppression & Extortion By Edo State Traffic Management Agency (EDSTMA) by EvilSeeed: 6:36pm On Nov 06, 2014
deletrue:
why are you so uncultured. Do you know that you are a barbarian?

grin

Me!? Barbarian?!

That's so nice of you.. Thanks for the compliment hommie..
Re: Oppression & Extortion By Edo State Traffic Management Agency (EDSTMA) by Nobody: 6:43pm On Nov 06, 2014
EvilSeeed:

Same Nigeria where Baba Suwe got a 20 million naira settlement from the NDLEA?

Same Nigeria where the lady who was beaten up in public by Naval officers won a huge settlement in Court?

Same Nigeria where a woman won 15 Million Naira in punitive damages against LASTMA?

These are isolated cases compare it with those who were frustrated in the legal process

And know this.. If you meet a good young hungry lawyer with a good case, most of them would take it on for free and only get paid after settlement. #FACT!

If you know any of such lawyer in Benin, I'll appreciate a referral, I'm not looking for pro bono

Just incase there is a repeat or issues with police

Thanks
Re: Oppression & Extortion By Edo State Traffic Management Agency (EDSTMA) by colossus2: 7:30pm On Nov 06, 2014
EvilSeeed:

Same Nigeria where Baba Suwe got a 20 million naira settlement from the NDLEA?

All these out of how many million cases?
What was the time frame? Or do you think if one is travelling he would have the whole time in the world for this?

Supposing you are based in Lagos, you are to travel to onitsha and come back the following day to carry on with what puts food on your table, only for EDSTMA to harass you the moment you get into Benin.

How many cases have you taken to court and how many million were you paid in the end.

Don't you think you can as well be an activist and help the masses.
It's easy to act online than in real life.

1 Like

Re: Oppression & Extortion By Edo State Traffic Management Agency (EDSTMA) by EvilSeeed: 7:40pm On Nov 06, 2014
colossus2:

All these out of how many million cases?
What was the time frame? Or do you think if one is travelling he would have the whole time in the world for this?

Supposing you are based in Lagos, you are to travel to onitsha and come back the following day to carry on with what puts food on your table, only for EDSTMA to harass you the moment you get into Benin.

How many cases have you taken to court and how many million were you paid in the end.

Don't you think you can as well be an activist and help the masses.
It's easy to act online than in real life.

Lol...

You guys obviously need no new excuse to keep paying bribes, so keep on..

And just so you know, I am not just talking cos we are online. I was raised by a family of lawyers and was mostly in court or chambers so from an early age, I have been conversant with the law and how it protects my rights. Try taking on the police like I did after a female officer smashed my windscreen, impounded my car and arrested me. When she found herself behind the counter inside state C.I.D rivers state writing a statement, that was when she understood why I was so calm when she was acting wild and slapping me on the road.. grin

If you understand your rights and have the patience to follow through, the Nigerian system works.

I have been trying to tell the OP what he did was wrong and he has been busy blaming everything else but himself who allowed common uniformed touts extort 10 thousand naira from him. If you all are willing to pay bribes even when you know you are being extorted, then you have no rights to complain about it.

If you feel exploited take action. Don't wait for an activist..

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Thermostat / 2017 Bugatti Sets World Record, 0 - 249MPH And Back To 0 In 41Seconds(Photos) / How Toyota Engines Are Re-built In Ladipo

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 153
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.