Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,836 members, 7,802,675 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 06:38 PM

Nigerian Man Banned From Work In The UK After Visiting Nigeria - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Nigerian Man Banned From Work In The UK After Visiting Nigeria (15115 Views)

Nigerian Man Removed From UK Flight Over 'prayer' Message On His Phone / An Illegal Nigerian Immigrant Arrested In UK After Living For 20years / Visiting Nigeria With Us Passport (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigerian Man Banned From Work In The UK After Visiting Nigeria by Opeedo(m): 2:47pm On Nov 05, 2014

Sam Ogunnoiki, who works as a security guard at Stout Security Ltd headquartered in Cornwall, UK, has been told not to go to work over fears he may have Ebola after visiting Nigeria.

The 46 year old British citizen, faces a three-week quarantine from his employers who told him that he needs to get the all-clear from a British doctor before he can go back to work. Below is the letter (in full) his direct boss sent to him
"I have spoken to you and expressed my very deep concerns about your trip to Nigeria. Several members of staff have now voiced their concerns about the possibility of your carrying the Ebola virus back with you and have made it very clear that they are extremely reluctant to work with you on your return." Continue...
One member of staff has even written a clear and concise letter stating the concerns of your work colleagues. In this case I have to support their concerns especially as I have already voiced them personally to you. In order to allay any fears that you are a carrier for this deadly virus I feel I cannot allow you to return to work until you have been back in the United Kingdom for three weeks, which is the incubation period. I must also request that you visit your doctor on your return and get a clean bill of health before you can start work with us. I am very sorry about this Sam but everyone works in close proximity together and I have to put the concerns of the majority first.’
Sam, who said he's on a zero-hours contract now worries about not being paid. He said:
‘Nigeria does not have Ebola but he said I have to be cleared. There is this stigma surrounding me now – it’s just ignorance and a nightmare because I cannot work. I’m a British citizen. There is no justification for this at all.’
The boss who sent the letter, Mr Mannell, later defended his position saying:

SOURCE: http://bangingnews.com/2014/11/nigerian-man-banned-from-work-in-the-uk-after-visiting-nigeria/

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Man Banned From Work In The UK After Visiting Nigeria by Opeedo(m): 2:52pm On Nov 05, 2014
I bet they woould not do that to an American!

22 Likes

Re: Nigerian Man Banned From Work In The UK After Visiting Nigeria by dipotech: 3:15pm On Nov 05, 2014
Sam. just relax. Go file for support from welfare for three weeks. I don't blame the company though. It's all about safety first.

22 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigerian Man Banned From Work In The UK After Visiting Nigeria by Lexusgs430: 11:00am On Nov 06, 2014
Talk about travelling and enjoying the holiday. And returning broke + No job for 3 weeks !!!!
Welfare payments will not be the solution, he was not sacked or lost his job.
Moreover, by the time all the welfare application is completed, it will almost almost be 3 weeks.
Lay low and avoid wonga !!!!!!

10 Likes

Re: Nigerian Man Banned From Work In The UK After Visiting Nigeria by worry359(m): 1:12pm On Nov 06, 2014
[size=14pt]Something very strange here!!!!!![/size]
This story is running around Nigerian web pages
But Nothing on British or other western news reports!

I suspect FAKE STORY / LIES.

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigerian Man Banned From Work In The UK After Visiting Nigeria by justwise(m): 1:28pm On Nov 07, 2014
worry359:
[size=14pt]Something very strange here!!!!!![/size]
This story is running around Nigerian web pages
But Nothing on British or other western news reports!

I suspect FAKE STORY / LIES.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2821625/Security-guard-banned-work-Cornwall-colleagues-feared-contracted-EBOLA-holiday-Nigeria-despite-country-virus-free.html

31 Likes

Re: Nigerian Man Banned From Work In The UK After Visiting Nigeria by worry359(m): 3:44pm On Nov 07, 2014
Ok grin

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Man Banned From Work In The UK After Visiting Nigeria by honeyad(m): 5:20pm On Nov 07, 2014
RACISTS... Oga Sam con dey catch your goalie for Nigeria.. You don get experience lipsrsealed
Re: Nigerian Man Banned From Work In The UK After Visiting Nigeria by GboyegaD(m): 7:08pm On Nov 07, 2014
If it is the policy, then he should hang on.
Re: Nigerian Man Banned From Work In The UK After Visiting Nigeria by iceberylin(m): 8:02am On Nov 16, 2014
See them hating on Naija tongue

8 Likes

Re: Nigerian Man Banned From Work In The UK After Visiting Nigeria by Nobody: 8:02am On Nov 16, 2014
grin
Re: Nigerian Man Banned From Work In The UK After Visiting Nigeria by youngice(m): 8:02am On Nov 16, 2014
hmmm
Re: Nigerian Man Banned From Work In The UK After Visiting Nigeria by Nobody: 8:03am On Nov 16, 2014
OK. He should come back home and start working here.
Re: Nigerian Man Banned From Work In The UK After Visiting Nigeria by seangy4konji: 8:03am On Nov 16, 2014
Hey ya.
Re: Nigerian Man Banned From Work In The UK After Visiting Nigeria by ToyozzieTohBad(f): 8:03am On Nov 16, 2014
racial profiling
Re: Nigerian Man Banned From Work In The UK After Visiting Nigeria by Nobody: 8:03am On Nov 16, 2014
Well, what do you expect? Ebola is not something people take likely. The same stigma was observed in Nigeria as well. The fiance of that nurse that died in Lagos was also stigmatised by his friends and neighbours. So we shouldn't see this as racism or injustice.

People always fear what they don't understand!

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigerian Man Banned From Work In The UK After Visiting Nigeria by farano(f): 8:03am On Nov 16, 2014
Wtf
I wouldn't say it's racist, just sheer ignorance.

while the emoloyees have a right to be concerned, especially when it comes to a case of ebola, it remains the duty of the employer to educate them about the current state of things.

8 Likes

Re: Nigerian Man Banned From Work In The UK After Visiting Nigeria by Atk01(f): 8:04am On Nov 16, 2014
Really? undecided
Re: Nigerian Man Banned From Work In The UK After Visiting Nigeria by Nobody: 8:04am On Nov 16, 2014
Typing....
Re: Nigerian Man Banned From Work In The UK After Visiting Nigeria by politricks: 8:05am On Nov 16, 2014
Even though this decision may be racist, we must not forget that prevention is better than cure.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Man Banned From Work In The UK After Visiting Nigeria by HonourablePomk: 8:06am On Nov 16, 2014
Hmmm
Re: Nigerian Man Banned From Work In The UK After Visiting Nigeria by kunlesehan(m): 8:06am On Nov 16, 2014
Safety first
Re: Nigerian Man Banned From Work In The UK After Visiting Nigeria by cole265(m): 8:07am On Nov 16, 2014
Ban abi. But him salary isn't banned I hope?
Re: Nigerian Man Banned From Work In The UK After Visiting Nigeria by kennosklint(m): 8:07am On Nov 16, 2014
These pple nor wan get sense abi dem nor hear say WHO don declare us ebola free...nawa 4 dem oh
Re: Nigerian Man Banned From Work In The UK After Visiting Nigeria by EternalBeing: 8:08am On Nov 16, 2014
Ok
Re: Nigerian Man Banned From Work In The UK After Visiting Nigeria by piagetskinner(m): 8:08am On Nov 16, 2014
When we'v already been declared free of ebola...
Re: Nigerian Man Banned From Work In The UK After Visiting Nigeria by Nobody: 8:09am On Nov 16, 2014
I guessed W.H.O gave us a clearance,why the hullabaloo again.
Re: Nigerian Man Banned From Work In The UK After Visiting Nigeria by laurel03(m): 8:10am On Nov 16, 2014
if not 4 our bad leaders who 4 dey go obodo oyinbo 2 hustle... how many arabo dey abroad and na same oil will get ooo..

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Read This Before Planning To Relocate To Canada / Bad Road At NNPC Junction Ejigbo Lagos: Daily Nightmare Of Road Users / Is This Extortion By The Nigeria Post Office?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 20
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.