Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,309 members, 7,780,731 topics. Date: Thursday, 28 March 2024 at 08:58 PM

Police Said My Car Is Stolen - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Police Said My Car Is Stolen (2476 Views)

Urgent Help Needed My Car Is Missing / How Do You Know If The Nigerian Used Car You Bought Is Stolen? / My Car Is Consuming Water At A Rapid Rate (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Police Said My Car Is Stolen by rainmaker12(m): 10:16pm On Nov 05, 2014
Pls I need help and experience, I bought a used car with all original documents, but the police still said the car was stolen. What should I do?
Re: Police Said My Car Is Stolen by GAZZUZZ(m): 10:34pm On Nov 05, 2014
rainmaker12:
Pls I need help and experience, I bought a used car with all original documents, but the police still said the car was stolen. What should I do?

From your short sentence how car we tell? If I steal a car and all the original papers were in it when I stole it, and I re-sell it to you have I sold a stolen car to you or not?
Or what if I steal a car and organise "oluwole " original papers and re-sell to you is the car no longer a stolen car?

There's somthing fishy about your transaction, that's why police has you by the balls, a friend of mine bought a car from me a few weeks ago and did not do a change of ownership and he was stopped by the police luckily I was close by, all I had to do was show them my DL to prove I was the previous owner and they let him off with a warning. Your car did not fall from the sky it had a previous owner, contact him/her go to the station and sort things out.

1 Like

Re: Police Said My Car Is Stolen by rainmaker12(m): 10:59pm On Nov 05, 2014
Fortunatly, I bought the car through nairaland. Does d vin which is 1HGCG5649WA124384 suppose to carry any criminal record pertaining the vehicle in nigeria?
Re: Police Said My Car Is Stolen by pacesetter939: 11:04pm On Nov 05, 2014
The police has just told you their findings sequel to information available at their disposal. You've got to ask some questions regarding the authenticity of the car.
Re: Police Said My Car Is Stolen by rainmaker12(m): 11:22pm On Nov 05, 2014
Would you advice I go to the house adress on the vehicle particulars?
Re: Police Said My Car Is Stolen by aieromon(m): 12:29am On Nov 06, 2014
Find out from the seller about the authenticity of the vehicle particulars. That's the first thing to do. Its possible the previous owner might have reported the car stolen.
Re: Police Said My Car Is Stolen by colossus2: 4:47am On Nov 06, 2014
There should be reasons why it's being tagged a stolen vehicle.
One major reason is if the said car was stolen, then the rightful owner reported to the police.
Another reason is proof of ownership. I don't think your car would be seized though. They would only negotiate with you on the field there to tip them, then they free you.
If the car is not a stolen one, I would advise you get a change of ownership, swear an affidavit and also get a police extract.
These shouldn't cost you above 5k to save you the embarrassment of being arrested or tagged a buyer of a stolen vehicle.
Re: Police Said My Car Is Stolen by ogawisdom(m): 6:38am On Nov 06, 2014
rainmaker12:

U need to show them who sold the car to you. So contact d previous owner b4 u enter atm for receiving stolen car. If u can't provide d person dt sold d car to u then u r in hot pepper soup angry

Did u do police clearance b4 rushing to buy d car?

Dnt worry d car could b genuine but there is something missing in your papers and dts y it is tagged stolen. So if u really need our help list out all d papers and particular u got from seller let's see wat is missing. Police sabi maga ppl so stay cool
Re: Police Said My Car Is Stolen by GAZZUZZ(m): 8:03am On Nov 06, 2014
On second thoughts since you can create thread on car-talk about your car being refered to as "stolen" by police then I assume you were writing from the comfort of your home, not behind counter.
Re: Police Said My Car Is Stolen by diportivo: 8:40am On Nov 06, 2014
GAZZUZZ:
On second thoughts since you can create thread on car-talk about your car being refered to as "stolen" by police then I assume you were writing from the comfort of your home, not behind counter.
i was about to ask which police station that is..cos to tag u as a buyer of a stolen car,na 'eyin counter' you suppose dey.if you havent been locked up,and still dont av any need for a lawyer,bros,go and speak with them man to man...dem wan chop ni...my opinion
Re: Police Said My Car Is Stolen by rainmaker12(m): 11:07am On Nov 06, 2014
ogawisdom:

U need to show them who sold the car to you. So contact d previous owner b4 u enter atm for receiving stolen car. If u can't provide d person dt sold d car to u then u r in hot pepper soup angry

Did u do police clearance b4 rushing to buy d car?

Dnt worry d car could b genuine but there is something missing in your papers and dts y it is tagged stolen. So if u really need our help list out all d papers and particular u got from seller let's see wat is missing. Police sabi maga ppl so stay cool
The particulars I got includes,
proof of ownership certificate
Third party insurance
Treasury cerificate
Treasury receipt
Allocation of registration number
Roadworthiness certificate
Writen reciept from the seller
Re: Police Said My Car Is Stolen by ogawisdom(m): 11:46am On Nov 06, 2014
rainmaker12:

The particulars I got includes,
proof of ownership certificate
Third party insurance
Treasury cerificate
Treasury receipt
Allocation of registration number
Roadworthiness certificate
Writen reciept from the seller

There are no police report, vehicle license , car sale agreement signed with witnesses n most importantly change of ownership certificate (n I guess this last one is y police arrested u) there. Sth tells me ur car is nt stolen but police must chop frm u

Whose name is in all these papers, did u do change of ownership n I hope non ve expired

Ve u contacted d seller or do u ve difficuty reaching him or her.

Which car did u buy n at wat price bc d price u bought d car can help show u r innocent eg u can't buy a clean 1999 najia used toyota camry 200k n claimed u didn't kw it is stolen.

I hope u ve a decent occupation which can help prove u r innocent if eventually it is stolen.

Dnt panic ur offence ll b dt u received stolen car, u ll lose much money but ll b freed if u provide d seller.

Advice to all
Wen buyin naija used vehicle make sure u can easily reach d seller incase kasala
Come

Get his biodata, national I'd or international passport plus passports. A civil servant like teacher, lecturer, banker, lawyer, doctor n registered car dealers r d ppl dt r easily reached.

Op do well to tell us d username of d guy dt sold d car to u on nairaland may b anoda person ve an experience wit him good or bad b4 we can label him a criminal angry

My take
Re: Police Said My Car Is Stolen by oride: 1:08pm On Nov 06, 2014
Bro, your car is not stolen. If you were accused of driving a stolen vehicle, you'll most likely be in custody. You are only guilty of incomplete documentation. Try to settle up and fix the problem once and for all.
Re: Police Said My Car Is Stolen by rainmaker12(m): 1:36pm On Nov 06, 2014
ogawisdom:

There are no police report, vehicle license , car sale agreement signed with witnesses n most importantly change of ownership certificate (n I guess this last one is y police arrested u) there. Sth tells me ur car is nt stolen but police must chop frm u

Whose name is in all these papers, did u do change of ownership n I hope non ve expired

Ve u contacted d seller or do u ve difficuty reaching him or her.

Which car did u buy n at wat price bc d price u bought d car can help show u r innocent eg u can't buy a clean 1999 najia used toyota camry 200k n claimed u didn't kw it is stolen.

I hope u ve a decent occupation which can help prove u r innocent if eventually it is stolen.

Dnt panic ur offence ll b dt u received stolen car, u ll lose much money but ll b freed if u provide d seller.

Advice to all
Wen buyin naija used vehicle make sure u can easily reach d seller incase kasala
Come

Get his biodata, national I'd or international passport plus passports. A civil servant like teacher, lecturer, banker, lawyer, doctor n registered car dealers r d ppl dt r easily reached.

Op do well to tell us d username of d guy dt sold d car to u on nairaland may b anoda person ve an experience wit him good or bad b4 we can label him a criminal angry

My take
its a 1999 honda accord, bought at the rate of 460k
the vehicle licence expired a month ago pior to purchasing the vehicle, which i eventually renewed.
Re: Police Said My Car Is Stolen by ogawisdom(m): 1:59pm On Nov 06, 2014
rainmaker12:

its a 1999 honda accord, bought at the rate of 460k
the vehicle licence expired a month ago pior to purchasing the vehicle, which i eventually renewed.

Ur car is most likely nt stolen n police kws dt but ur papers r nt complete. Try n settle with police bc a key paper change of ownership certificate is missin in d car particulars.
Re: Police Said My Car Is Stolen by adanny01(m): 3:01pm On Nov 06, 2014
Its simple.

The police probably stopped you and asked for papers. You handed to them papers of the car you recently purchased which bears the seller's name. You also handed them your drivers license showing your name which has no relationship with the owner. They asked you who the owner is, you probably said 'i just bought it'. They ask you for proof and you gave them a transaction receipt. The receipt does not show that the seller willingly agreed on the sale so police assume the worst, ITS A STOLEN CAR UNTIL PROVEN OTHERWISE.

A change of ownership agreement with the sellers name and signature is the closest convincing document you should have had. In this condition the seller must show up with his ID showing his name that corresponds to the car's document for the car's release.

You are lucky the did'nt throw you in the cell with the allegation. Get the seller (real owner) to the police station fast. After that, you get an agreement and get a change of ownership certificate (N2,000) with which you can change the name on all the other documents will be change on expiry.

(1) (Reply)

Mechanic Service / Is Opel Zafira A Good MPV Car For Transport? / I Want To Buy Ford Edge 2008(foreign Used). I Need Your Advice

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.