Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,480 members, 7,781,419 topics. Date: Friday, 29 March 2024 at 02:08 PM

What Happens When A Woman Wants More Sex Than Her Husband? Or Vice Versa! - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / What Happens When A Woman Wants More Sex Than Her Husband? Or Vice Versa! (4950 Views)

This Happens When You Marry A Yoruba Man (photo) / Woman Wants Her Hubby Sacked For Attacking Her Gigolo With Cutlass In Ekiti / He Wants More Children (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Happens When A Woman Wants More Sex Than Her Husband? Or Vice Versa! by Nobody: 10:45am On Nov 06, 2014
[size=15pt]What happens when a woman wants more sex than her husband? Or the other way round! Three brave couples reveal the impact of mismatched libidos on their marriages [/size]

Stacey's appetite for sex differs to his wife Vanessa's
He wants to do it more often but she has other priorities
Rebecca has the higher sex drive in her marriage
Her husband Paul rejects her sexual advances several times a week
Expectations of how much sex is enough in marriage can be a problem
Survey found many couples often too tired to make love
Only 23 per cent said they have sex as frequently as once a week
Other 77 per cent make love even less often, or not at all

Settling down on the sofa in front of the TV after tucking their daughters up in bed, Vanessa Powell’s body tensed as her husband reached towards her and started to stroke her thigh.

‘Not tonight darling,’ she told Stacey, her husband of 12 years. ‘It’s only been a few days since the last time.’

By Stacey’s reckoning, it was actually more like a fortnight since he’d made love to his wife and he joked, not for the first time, that he would have to start marking their intimate encounters on a calendar. Then Vanessa would see just how infrequently they occurred.

Desire: Rebecca is in the mood for sex every night but husband Paul would rather do it less

But keeping a tally is unlikely to resolve the fundamental difference between Stacey, 39, an architect, and Vanessa, 45, a receptionist, from Surrey, because when it comes to their appetite for sex, they are poles apart. ‘I make advances most nights and, if I’m lucky, Vanessa responds two or three times a month,’ says Stacey.

‘From telling her how beautiful she looks to pouring her a drink or offering her a massage, I will try anything to get her between the sheets. I try different approaches because I don’t want to sound like a stuck record.’

The sexual tension in the Powells’ marriage — one that arises from mismatched libidos rather than lack of affection — is shared by many thousands of couples in the UK and in the world.

Relate, the relationship counselling service, says that different expectations of how much sex is enough in a marriage is one of the top topics when husbands and wives seek its help. That’s hardly surprising when one in five of those who responded this summer to a Relate survey, entitled The Way We Are Now, admitted they are always too tired to make love. Meanwhile, only 23 per cent said they have sex as frequently as once a week, with the other 77 per cent making love even less often, or not at all.

Stacey was frank with Vanessa about his high libido early on in their 13-year relationship. When she told him her desire for sex was, by contrast, very low, he promised to ‘love her whatever’.

Although Vanessa admits to never having been very interested in sex, she says that juggling children, work and home has killed off what vestiges of passion she once felt. But Stacey would ideally like to have sex every single day.

‘Sex has fallen way down my list of priorities because, unlike the other things I have to do, it’s not essential,’ Vanessa says in an admission that will resonate with many working mothers.

‘I can go for months without sex and not miss it. When our daughters were babies we didn’t have sex for months and I didn’t miss it at all.

Rebecca's sex drive remains high even though she works full-time and has two young children (pictured with Paul on their wedding day)

‘Stacey has a long commute to work and is out of the house for 12 hours a day. But, unlike me, stress doesn’t seem to stop him wanting sex.’

Janice Hiller, consultant clinical psychologist at the London Tavistock Centre For Couple Relationships, confirms that clients repeatedly cite the pressures of daily life as the cause of libido problems.

Some couples have sex drives that are equally strong but out of sync because they have different working patterns. Katie Whitney and her husband Paul, from Bridlington, East Yorkshire, want sex at different times because their jobs are incompatible.

Katie, 26, is a carer by day and a waitress at night, while Paul, 36, runs a motor repair business during the day and is a security officer at night.

Paul has three children from a previous marriage, whom he supports financially, and the couple are hoping to one day have a baby of their own, so need every penny they can earn.

Katie says the only time they have for intimacy — when one of them isn’t working and when Paul’s children aren’t visiting — is every other weekend.

And while Paul is keen to stay in bed all day and make love, that’s the last thing she feels like doing.

‘On my one day off I want to get on top of the washing and shopping and then do something fun and sociable, like have a day out or go for a meal,’ says Katie. ‘Sex is the last thing on my mind.

‘But there are times during the week when I have a few days off work, following a nine-day stretch, and then I’m up for sex — but Paul isn’t. He’ll come home for a three-hour break between his jobs and all he wants to do is sleep.’

Katie says that her libido is very much linked to her most fertile time of the month and she rarely thinks about sex at the start or end of her cycle.

‘Paul gets a bit cross and says we’d improve our chances of conceiving by having sex more often, instead of just the couple of days a month when I’m ovulating,’ says Katie.

Mismatched libidos: Vanessa does not want to sex with husband Stacey Powell as often as he would like

‘But our bodies are different. I can wake up on a Tuesday and think: “Ooh, yes, sex,” but not feel at all like it at the weekend when Paul’s in the mood.’

Desire is influenced by hormones, chief among them testosterone, production of which is stimulated by regular sex. So when a woman goes off intercourse, it can become a vicious circle.

Testosterone in women also declines naturally by an average of 50 per cent between the ages of 20 and 45, with some women experiencing a far greater fall.

Additionally, for reasons that are not fully understood, sex doesn’t provide the physical and psychological rewards and satisfaction for some females that it does for others. More than a third of women either do not experience orgasm with a partner, or find sex painful.

Perhaps not surprisingly, therefore, studies involving thousands of women in Britain, Europe and America indicate that up to half experience prolonged periods of having little or no sex drive.

While loss of libido can hit women at any age, childbirth and the menopause are well-recognised triggers. But is it a myth that men are always ‘in the mood’?

Vanessa says sex has fallen down her list of priorities after she and Stacey married and had children

Dr Anna Janssen, a clinical psychologist and psycho-sexual therapist, believes it is.

‘I’d say, from the couples we see in our clinics, it’s a pretty even split, with an equal number of men and women reporting lower libidos than their partners,’ she says.

A recent UK study for online pharmacy UKMedix found 62 per cent of men turn down sex more frequently than their female partners, with a third reporting that they had lost their sex drive.

Paul Morris-Jackson, 35, from Bromley, South-East London, admits to rejecting his wife Rebecca’s sexual advances several times a week.

While making love eight times a month would be enough to satisfy Paul, 40-year-old Rebecca is in the mood for it every night.

Rebecca’s rampant libido is perhaps even more surprising given that they both work full time — Paul is a chef and Rebecca a legal secretary — and they have two baby sons, Jack, 20 months, and Charlie, eight months.

‘There’s an assumption that women who are married and have children don’t want sex, but that’s certainly not true in my case,’ says Rebecca.

‘I really enjoy sex, so can see no reason not to have it as often as possible. I take the view that once the kids are in bed and asleep, there is nothing to stop us making love.

‘Sometimes I wish it could go on for longer, but afterwards I feel so good, positively glowing. My husband, however, is one of those people who can live with or without sex. He’ll say to me: “Stop looking at me like that, I’m not a piece of meat.”

Rebecca, who says a high sex drive runs in her family, uses her ‘womanly wiles’ to get sex four or five times a week — a compromise between the seven she’d like and the two that Paul prefers.

‘Paul will often say: “Oh, baby, not tonight.” But if I wear certain things — a little skirt or nightie and silky lingerie — I know he will find me hard to resist. Or I’ll send him suggestive text messages while sitting on the sofa opposite.

Rebecca’s friends are astonished she has the energy for regular sex, but she insists it relaxes her, which, in turn, helps her cope with the daily demands of motherhood and work.

Although Rebecca is confident about her size 14 figure, she admits there have been times when Paul’s rejections have left her smarting.

‘I was ready for sex within a few days of giving birth shocked shocked shocked , and when Paul didn’t want it I took it personally. I’d keep asking him: “Is it because I’m fat?”

‘But he’d say: “No, I’m just tired. Why aren’t you after being up with the baby half the night?”’

Mismatched schedules: Katie and her husband Paul want sex at different times because their working hours are incompatible

Nowadays she accepts that some nights, whatever she tries, the answer will still be ‘no’.

So is Paul the envy of his friends for having such a highly sexed wife?

‘I don’t talk about it because it’s shameful admitting that my wife has a higher libido than me,’ says Paul. ‘But it’s hard work being a chef, and when I come home I just want to rest.’

Ironically, Rebecca’s libido was one of the things that most appealed to him when they met at a restaurant he worked at five years ago. But Paul assumed that, like many couples, they were going through a honeymoon period and their sex drives would settle down once they were past the first flush of romance.

The couple married three years ago, their first child was born a year later and their second a year after that.

Paul says: ‘Having sex twice a week is enough for me. All I want to do in the evening is collapse in front of the TV. But then Becci starts tickling my thigh and whispering in my ear. When that fails, she’ll change into silky underwear.

‘There are times when even that won’t work and I tell her I’m too knackered.’

Paul sometimes even disappears to the pub to escape his wife’s advances.

A lot of guys end up looking elsewhere because they don’t get enough sex at home, whereas I go out to get a bit of peace,’ he says.

While his complaints are made with a wry smile, Janice Hiller regularly works with couples for whom libido imbalance causes ‘severe distress’.

‘For many people, what’s more important to them is the stability of the family unit,’ says Janice. ‘But among those who do seek help there is usually a lot of hostility and misunderstanding — and often anxiety about infidelity.’

Even for otherwise happily married couples, there can be tensions.

Paul Whitney misses the early intimacy he and Katie experienced when they first got together four years ago.

‘I do sometimes resent it when she wants sex with me because it’s her fertile time, after three weeks of knocking me back, but I rarely turn her down,’ he says. ‘But I try to get Katie in the mood by sending her suggestive texts at work.

‘She texts back: “Can’t we just see what tonight brings?” Unfortunately, I know from experience, the answer is probably nothing at all.’

Meanwhile, Vanessa reveals that Stacey struggled with her rejection of him after the births of each of their children when she could have happily gone without sex completely.

‘He’d say: “Isn’t there any time for me?” But I’d tell him not to feel neglected because it’s instinctive in a mother to nurture her newborns at the expense of everyone else around,’ she says.

‘Now the children are older, I do try to make time for sex occasionally because it makes Stacey happy and we always feel closer afterwards.’

Katie said sex is often the last thing on her mind while Paul would love them to stay in bed all day

Stacey, however, insists his relationship with his wife is too precious to jeopardise by seeking fulfilment elsewhere.

‘Just the sight of her makes me smile — she’s such a beautiful person, inside and out,’ he says. ‘I tell myself that if we made love all the time it would become less special. As it is, I really appreciate those moments when we are intimate.’

Dr Janssen says that many couples can enjoy long and happy marriages despite huge differences in their appetites for sex. It’s how couples manage these differences in desire that has the greatest bearing in the long run.

‘The most important thing is to talk about sex, rather than retreating because you feel hurt and rejected, or getting cross because you feel under pressure to perform,’ she says.

‘If you find communication difficult, counselling can help.’

They are words that will surely reassure many couples.

Certainly, for Stacey Powell, giving up on his sex life is not an option.

‘I persevere because I enjoy sex and, as well as family time, I think one-on-one time with your spouse is hugely important in a marriage — it’s what keeps you bonded,’ he says.

‘I realise this means I spend an awful lot of time pestering my wife for sex, but I’ve no intention of giving up. I hope we’re still making love well into our 70s.’

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-2822656/What-happens-woman-wants-sex-husband-way-round-Three-brave-couples-reveal-impact-mismatched-libidos-marriages.html
Re: What Happens When A Woman Wants More Sex Than Her Husband? Or Vice Versa! by Nobody: 11:17am On Nov 06, 2014
Compromise
Re: What Happens When A Woman Wants More Sex Than Her Husband? Or Vice Versa! by Ishilove: 1:41pm On Nov 06, 2014
Eyah. How unfortunate.

I will simply mix a very small dose of burantashi into his meal on a daily basis, and a fair amount of 'baby uku' into his drink at weekly intervals. Even if he doesn't want to do, his jabulani will sing a different song. :-|

angry

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Happens When A Woman Wants More Sex Than Her Husband? Or Vice Versa! by audreybrian(f): 3:30pm On Nov 06, 2014
In Psquare's voice "THIS NA TEMPTATION"
Re: What Happens When A Woman Wants More Sex Than Her Husband? Or Vice Versa! by Nobody: 3:41pm On Nov 06, 2014
Ishilove:
Eyah. How unfortunate.

I will simply mix a very small dose of burantashi into his meal on a daily basis, and a fair amount of 'baby uku' into his drink at weekly intervals. Even if he doesn't want to do, his jabulani will sing a different song. :-|

angry
\

For lame men liks us, please what is buruntashi and baby uku
Re: What Happens When A Woman Wants More Sex Than Her Husband? Or Vice Versa! by blessedqueen(f): 5:17pm On Nov 06, 2014
ledafaze:
\

U don't wanna know
Re: What Happens When A Woman Wants More Sex Than Her Husband? Or Vice Versa! by Adesiji77: 5:48pm On Nov 06, 2014
Ishilove:
Eyah. How unfortunate.

angry

@Ishilove You get 'razor-mouth' cheesy

So, what is 'burantashi' and 'baby uku'....assumption is the lowest level of knowledge grin
Re: What Happens When A Woman Wants More Sex Than Her Husband? Or Vice Versa! by Ishilove: 6:56pm On Nov 06, 2014
ledafaze:
\

Aphrodisiacs. Burantashi, especially, is very deadly. An overdose can see you having an erection for hours grin

1 Like

Re: What Happens When A Woman Wants More Sex Than Her Husband? Or Vice Versa! by Ishilove: 7:00pm On Nov 06, 2014
Adesiji77:

@Ishilove You get 'razor-mouth' cheesy

So, what is 'burantashi' and 'baby uku'....assumption is the lowest level of knowledge grin

Ishilove:

Aphrodisiacs. Burantashi, especially, is very deadly. An overdose can see you having an erection for hours. Baby Uku is like alomo, except more powerful (so I heard). grin
Re: What Happens When A Woman Wants More Sex Than Her Husband? Or Vice Versa! by texanomaly(f): 8:51pm On Nov 06, 2014
Ishilove:
Eyah. How unfortunate.

angry

But what if he uses all that "energy" elsewhere?
Re: What Happens When A Woman Wants More Sex Than Her Husband? Or Vice Versa! by Ishilove: 8:55pm On Nov 06, 2014
texanomaly:

But what if he uses all that "energy" elsewhere?
*gasp* embarassed

He dares not angry
Re: What Happens When A Woman Wants More Sex Than Her Husband? Or Vice Versa! by lagcity(m): 9:01pm On Nov 06, 2014
Ishilove:
Eyah. How unfortunate.

angry

You will kill your husband after you damage his liver. Say no to burantashi and baby uku. cool Just give him a Blow J0b and he should be upright in no time grin
Re: What Happens When A Woman Wants More Sex Than Her Husband? Or Vice Versa! by Adesiji77: 9:02pm On Nov 06, 2014
Ishilove:

Thank you, Love Doctor lipsrsealed
Re: What Happens When A Woman Wants More Sex Than Her Husband? Or Vice Versa! by Ishilove: 9:09pm On Nov 06, 2014
lagcity:

You will kill your husband after you damage his liver. Say no to burantashi and baby uku. cool Just give him a Blow J0b and he should be upright in no time grin
tongue

Adesiji77:

Thank you, Love Doctor lipsrsealed
grin grin tongue
Re: What Happens When A Woman Wants More Sex Than Her Husband? Or Vice Versa! by texanomaly(f): 9:14pm On Nov 06, 2014
Ishilove:

*gasp* embarassed

He dares not angry

Lol...I'm sure he wouldn't. smiley
Re: What Happens When A Woman Wants More Sex Than Her Husband? Or Vice Versa! by bennyrazz: 9:34pm On Nov 06, 2014
lmao @ bura--- tan--- shi (strong manhood) . But really ishilove I wouldn't suggest you do such without the consent of your partner. That has to be his decision. An overdose of burantashi can kill if not administered properly.

1 Like

Re: What Happens When A Woman Wants More Sex Than Her Husband? Or Vice Versa! by Ishilove: 12:27am On Nov 07, 2014
bennyrazz:
lmao @ bura--- tan--- shi (strong manhood) . But really ishilove I wouldn't suggest you do such without the consent of your partner. That has to be his decision. An overdose of burantashi can kill if not administered properly.
Lol. Then we will just have to learn how to properly administer it, wouldn't we, because I don't understand how konji will be giving someone uppercut inside marriage. grin
Re: What Happens When A Woman Wants More Sex Than Her Husband? Or Vice Versa! by bennyrazz: 7:37am On Nov 07, 2014
Ishilove:

Lol. Then we will just have to learn how to properly administer it, wouldn't we, because I don't understand how konji will be giving someone uppercut inside marriage. grin
and I was beginning to think konji don't affect women, only men cheesy

1 Like

Re: What Happens When A Woman Wants More Sex Than Her Husband? Or Vice Versa! by Ishilove: 8:05am On Nov 07, 2014
bennyrazz:
and I was beginning to think konji don't affect women, only men cheesy
If you think that then you must be a learner. Pray never to be handled by a konji afflicted woman. grin tongue
Re: What Happens When A Woman Wants More Sex Than Her Husband? Or Vice Versa! by Nobody: 8:10am On Nov 07, 2014
I fear you oh! sad
Ishilove:
Eyah. How unfortunate.

angry

1 Like

Re: What Happens When A Woman Wants More Sex Than Her Husband? Or Vice Versa! by bennyrazz: 8:19am On Nov 07, 2014
Ishilove:

If you think that then you must be a learner. Pray never to be handled by a konji afflicted woman. grin tongue
are you serious tell me more jare cheesy how can you know/spot a konji afflicted woman grin grin after all, we are all learners in this world. We learn new things everyday. No matter how small or little, no knowledge is lost grin

1 Like

Re: What Happens When A Woman Wants More Sex Than Her Husband? Or Vice Versa! by Nobody: 8:25am On Nov 07, 2014
Ishilove:

Aphrodisiacs. Burantashi, especially, is very deadly. An overdose can see you having an erection for hours grin

Attention directed towards who?
Re: What Happens When A Woman Wants More Sex Than Her Husband? Or Vice Versa! by Nobody: 8:25am On Nov 07, 2014
blessedqueen:

U don't wanna know

grhhh
Re: What Happens When A Woman Wants More Sex Than Her Husband? Or Vice Versa! by blessedqueen(f): 8:29am On Nov 07, 2014
Ishilove:

Lol r u serious?
Re: What Happens When A Woman Wants More Sex Than Her Husband? Or Vice Versa! by blessedqueen(f): 8:31am On Nov 07, 2014
ledafaze:

Attention directed towards who?

R u still asking?
Re: What Happens When A Woman Wants More Sex Than Her Husband? Or Vice Versa! by Adesiji77: 8:32am On Nov 07, 2014
tooltip:
I fear you oh! sad

Be afraid...be very afraid! cheesy
Re: What Happens When A Woman Wants More Sex Than Her Husband? Or Vice Versa! by Ishilove: 9:51am On Nov 07, 2014
bennyrazz:
are you serious tell me more jare cheesy how can you know/spot a konji afflicted woman grin grin after all, we are all learners in this world. We learn new things everyday. No matter how small or little, no knowledge is lost grin
The thing is this: you cannot know a konji afflicted woman until you roll in the sheets with her. By the time she forces you to pull an all-nighter to cure that agro, you will know that zipping up is the best. You will use hot water to massage your jabulani, then repent and run to the monastery. grin

1 Like 1 Share

Re: What Happens When A Woman Wants More Sex Than Her Husband? Or Vice Versa! by Eyop: 9:59am On Nov 07, 2014
Ishilove:

The thing is this: you cannot know a konji afflicted woman until you roll in the sheets with her. By the time she forces you to pull an all-nighter to cure that agro, you will know that zipping up is the best. You will use hot water to massage your jabulani, then repent and run to the monastery. grin

Chaiii!!! Ishi.....na wa oooooh. Abeg make i start now dey run cheesy

1 Like

Re: What Happens When A Woman Wants More Sex Than Her Husband? Or Vice Versa! by bennyrazz: 10:20am On Nov 07, 2014
Ishilove:

really true cheesy
Re: What Happens When A Woman Wants More Sex Than Her Husband? Or Vice Versa! by Ishilove: 10:27am On Nov 07, 2014
tooltip:
I fear you oh! sad
Why? undecided
Re: What Happens When A Woman Wants More Sex Than Her Husband? Or Vice Versa! by Ishilove: 10:28am On Nov 07, 2014
Eyop:

Chaiii!!! Ishi.....na wa oooooh. Abeg make i start now dey run cheesy
Lol. Abeg o, I'm celibate grin
Re: What Happens When A Woman Wants More Sex Than Her Husband? Or Vice Versa! by Ishilove: 10:29am On Nov 07, 2014
Adesiji77:

Be afraid...be very afraid! cheesy
Rotfl! cheesy cheesy

(1) (2) (Reply)

How Relevant Is Bearing A Male Child In Today's World? / Religious Couples: Sex Before Or After Prayer? / What Would You Do If Someone Called Your Kid Ugly?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 82
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.