Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,437 members, 7,808,561 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 01:29 PM

Does Undergraduate Course Of Study Really Matter? - Education (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Does Undergraduate Course Of Study Really Matter? (21654 Views)

Lecturer Collects Undergraduate's Slippers In UNILORIN (image) / What Was Your Reason For Choosing Your Course Of Study In The University / Rep Your School Here And Your Course Of Study (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Does Undergraduate Course Of Study Really Matter? by alexis007(m): 11:26am On Nov 07, 2014
:oseriously?are you all kidding me?wait till MOUAU would offer you one of their new courses in hotel management....Make i hang if you don't end up in a restaurant as a plate washer angry shocked
Re: Does Undergraduate Course Of Study Really Matter? by Odunharry(m): 11:27am On Nov 07, 2014
killercute16:
Your wish is granted
it always come to pass

1 Like

Re: Does Undergraduate Course Of Study Really Matter? by tunexkiboy: 11:28am On Nov 07, 2014
fp
Re: Does Undergraduate Course Of Study Really Matter? by Jerry24kay(m): 11:29am On Nov 07, 2014
I always like seeing this .
IMO I think there sud be Technical college where Practical things can be done.
For instance Some university will only give out theories and not show d student what It entails ..I studied Comp.sci but all I knw abt computer I didn't learn it from my sch ..dts hw bad it is .
If there were Technical colleges like before the issue of Entrepreneurship would be more easier ..
Re: Does Undergraduate Course Of Study Really Matter? by alexis007(m): 11:33am On Nov 07, 2014
Coolboyz:
Pls fellow nairalanders, how marketable is the course NUTRITION AND DIETICS?
very marketable,oga.In fact,There's a eatery near my street whose owner wants a helping hand.....she specifically needs someone who would select the beans and sift chaff from the rice...Salary so very attractive! lipsrsealed

2 Likes

Re: Does Undergraduate Course Of Study Really Matter? by itsIYKE(m): 11:38am On Nov 07, 2014
Kachisbarbie:
I don't think it does
My husband studied PHYSICS
__ he has 3 Central Bank Awards to his accolade- yes he is banker.
Though he underwent various business and financial, training/courses.

I studied Banking (because I thought it would guarantee me a fast spot in the banking industry) but this awesome man teaches me things I don't even know... embarassed

I think it's just striving to be the best, wherever you find yourself. No matter the course - make good grades - know your worth -be able to market yourself as @ when due.
I can cee the handiwork of Allah in ur life,..but I tot holdin ur hair while flashing teeth is haram?
Re: Does Undergraduate Course Of Study Really Matter? by Capableben(m): 11:41am On Nov 07, 2014
Abuklaw:
You've spoken well bro suraj. I at times enlighten people on how they can build career that is clearly distinct from what they have in their first degree. ICT has made everything easy, it is not a must to be computer science graduate before venturing into any area of it. likewise do one need not to study business administration or related courses before bagging MBA after first degree. We are in the informational age not the industrial age. so wise up dudes.

pick CCNA,ORACLE,COMPTIA and others and stand a chance of working with multinational companies irrespective of what you studied in your first degree.

Pls wat is CCNA ORACLE COMPTIA??
Re: Does Undergraduate Course Of Study Really Matter? by ALKARULEZ615(m): 11:42am On Nov 07, 2014
HOMO_ECONOMICUS

#team_Economics
Re: Does Undergraduate Course Of Study Really Matter? by manutdadex(m): 11:44am On Nov 07, 2014
Lero15:
simple, because you don't really need a first class/2-1 grade to qualify. Another thing is, most banks pay well.
i think its because u can teach a sec skool student aw to work as cahiers in banks! And d banks are lookin for cheap labour!
Re: Does Undergraduate Course Of Study Really Matter? by xfire: 11:53am On Nov 07, 2014
Course of study matters but its influence can be withered down with good grades, professional certifications or work experience.
It matters most when dealing with professional courses like engineering, medicine, architecture, law, etc. Some courses are still more marketable than others, even in Nigeria. But its influence gradually diminishes for non-professional courses.
It also depends one's priority. Some people just want to earn a decent living and make good money without any preference for a particular profession. For such category of people, there is no need to attach too much importance to course of study.
I quite agree that students should make optimum use of whatever opportunities they have at present.

4 Likes

Re: Does Undergraduate Course Of Study Really Matter? by ichidodo: 12:12pm On Nov 07, 2014
Doesn't matter but your technical ability does..
Re: Does Undergraduate Course Of Study Really Matter? by Limibanti(m): 12:14pm On Nov 07, 2014
From my experience, after University, you are graduating into the school of reality, the job you fall in love with will shape where you will further. In a country like Nigeria, where graduates don't have much option of choosing a job they desire, everyone just holds onto what come his/her way. Passion is not even the issue anymore. Guys, I follow the lead of my career.. I don't knw where the wheel of fortune is spinning me too. I graduated as an Animal scientist but lately I want a career switch because the profession is not so marketable unless you have the capital to run your own business. Any where I find myself, I adapt. Am thinking of being a Business Analyst or an Human Resource Manager now
Re: Does Undergraduate Course Of Study Really Matter? by tobietticom(m): 12:20pm On Nov 07, 2014
alexis007:
:oseriously?are you all kidding me?wait till MOUAU would offer you one of their new courses in hotel management....Make i hang if you don't end up in a restaurant as a plate washer angry shocked
Seriously, I'm disappointed at the ways Nigerians think nowadays. If you read hotel management and you are serious with it and you also know your way around. Wallahi you will make it.
Go to 4pointsl Hotel,Orientals etc most of their Senior hotel managers are white people they pay thousands of $$$ monthly. Seems you don't know how much Hotels make.
That's why America is the greatest country... Someone is a professional chef (watch food channel on dstv).. Some nutritionist.
School can teach yu book but mehn they can't teach you how to be smart..
Wake up
Re: Does Undergraduate Course Of Study Really Matter? by Nobody: 12:27pm On Nov 07, 2014
God bless you for this
Richiy:
It still shouldn't stop you from striving to study what you want to study because the most frustrated man is the one in the wrong profession.

If you want fulfilment, strive to study what you like and watch your job become easier for you.
Re: Does Undergraduate Course Of Study Really Matter? by Lero15(m): 12:28pm On Nov 07, 2014
manutdadex:
i think its because u can teach a sec skool student aw to work as cahiers in banks! And d banks are lookin for cheap labour!
Banks pay degree holders well, and they train them well too. As per cashier, OND/HND holders mostly.
Re: Does Undergraduate Course Of Study Really Matter? by Nobody: 12:59pm On Nov 07, 2014
crowniran:

oga jarus are u on whatsapp.?....drop ur number if yes

Just like that?

3 Likes

Re: Does Undergraduate Course Of Study Really Matter? by manutdadex(m): 1:02pm On Nov 07, 2014
Lero15:
Banks pay degree holders well, and they train them well too. As per cashier, OND/HND holders mostly.
they can pay beta...Nigerian banks are very rich in terms of post tax gains! They shud b payin their staffs more but due to d high rate of unemployment dey dictate d salaries and terms of employment

1 Like

Re: Does Undergraduate Course Of Study Really Matter? by Brunel(m): 1:05pm On Nov 07, 2014
Jarus:

Just like that?

now this is very hilarious.......... bwahaha
Re: Does Undergraduate Course Of Study Really Matter? by jaybee3(m): 1:10pm On Nov 07, 2014
What matters most in this neck of the woods is the university attended. As a graduate from one of the Tier 1 universities, there is a an assumption that you must have gone through rigorous training to not only graduate but also come out with required minimum grade needed for employment.

Most graduates usually undergo tailored specific training programmes and the only prerequisite knowledge needed most times are the ability to :
Work in teams,
Logical reasoning
Flexibility
Analytical
A bit of technical skills

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Does Undergraduate Course Of Study Really Matter? by Supernov1(m): 1:18pm On Nov 07, 2014
------
Re: Does Undergraduate Course Of Study Really Matter? by iamtheprincipal: 1:21pm On Nov 07, 2014
Jamzig1:
@Sir Jarus_i have always wanted to study an engineering course, preferably civil,elect/elect,chemical engineering but unfortunately my dreams was diminished when i was offered PHYSICS in lieu of civil engineering i applied for in FUNAAB, i would appreciate your advice/mentoring
I would be very honest with you here, Physics is one of the few courses with fantastic opportunities. Physicists could function as Geoscientists, Physicists or Engineers. So many testimonies of this abound. Put in yout in your study & see yourself breaking records
Re: Does Undergraduate Course Of Study Really Matter? by Nobody: 1:28pm On Nov 07, 2014
phinerd:
God bless you for this

Did you understand my point of quoting you?
Re: Does Undergraduate Course Of Study Really Matter? by Nobody: 1:30pm On Nov 07, 2014
Jarus:

Just like that?

Lmao. Oga Jarus, you must be a very funny dude.
Re: Does Undergraduate Course Of Study Really Matter? by Richiy(f): 1:37pm On Nov 07, 2014
phinerd:
God bless you for this

Bless you too Dearie.
Re: Does Undergraduate Course Of Study Really Matter? by Nobody: 2:06pm On Nov 07, 2014
RedBenson:

Lmao. Oga Jarus, you must be a very funny dude.

Serious, some requests lack courtesy, basic etiquettes.

Email is a better thing to request. Even when you want to request for phone number, not asking it to be dropped on public forum, and most ridiculously to be chatting on whatsapp.

Sounded like high school kids exchanging number on those JAMB threads.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Does Undergraduate Course Of Study Really Matter? by Nobody: 2:08pm On Nov 07, 2014
dream was to study any medical course... ended up in psychology.... things happen for a reason sha
Re: Does Undergraduate Course Of Study Really Matter? by alexis007(m): 2:53pm On Nov 07, 2014
tobietticom:

Seriously, I'm disappointed at the ways Nigerians think nowadays. If you read hotel management and you are serious with it and you also know your way around. Wallahi you will make it.
Go to 4pointsl Hotel,Orientals etc most of their Senior hotel managers are white people they pay thousands of $$$ monthly. Seems you don't know how much Hotels make.
That's why America is the greatest country... Someone is a professional chef (watch food channel on dstv).. Some nutritionist.
School can teach yu book but mehn they can't teach you how to be smart..
Wake up
like say dis one just read napeoleon Hill's 'think and grow rich' finish.....you dey mention America for me as if to say i no know where im dey for world map....meanwhile,you forget say you still dey 9ja.....brother,don't get it twisted....if you studied dentistry.....you are the one who's going to take care of Asiwaju tinubu's yellow dentures....same with someone who studied hotel management......how you wan take be bank CEO after studying that discipline?.....if you'd ever work in a bank,it'd be as someone who picks the plates after the cashiers are done with the meals on them during lunch
Re: Does Undergraduate Course Of Study Really Matter? by Jamzig1(m): 3:25pm On Nov 07, 2014
iamtheprincipal:

I would be very honest with you here, Physics is one of the few courses with fantastic opportunities. Physicists could function as Geoscientists, Physicists or Engineers. So many testimonies of this abound. Put in yout in your study & see yourself breaking records
Thanks a lot for that, by the way do u know any succesful physics graduate u can refer me to for mentorship?
Re: Does Undergraduate Course Of Study Really Matter? by GboyegaD(m): 3:40pm On Nov 07, 2014
It depends on your long term goals. While sometimes it is easy to divert into a new field however, it isn't possible in all cases.
Re: Does Undergraduate Course Of Study Really Matter? by crowniran(m): 3:48pm On Nov 07, 2014
Jarus:

Just like that?
oh!..oga Jarus seems am rude...sorry then
Re: Does Undergraduate Course Of Study Really Matter? by crowniran(m): 3:52pm On Nov 07, 2014
[quote
author=Jarus post=27805699]

Serious, some requests lack courtesy, basic etiquettes.

Email is a better thing to request. Even when you want to request for
phone number, not asking it to be dropped on public forum, and most
ridiculously to be chatting on whatsapp.

Sounded like high school kids exchanging number on those JAMB threads.
[/quote]

anyways ve apologised,we learn evriday...so dis thread is for which people...meanwhile aint a jambite

2 Likes

Re: Does Undergraduate Course Of Study Really Matter? by Nobody: 4:01pm On Nov 07, 2014
crowniran:

oh!..oga Jarus seems am rude...sorry then

No problem my brother. We learn everyday.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Ways To Keep The Peace With Roommates / 2017 JAMB Mock Examination Date & Registration Details / Crazy Photos From NAITS Week In FUTO

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 42
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.