Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,735 members, 7,806,011 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 10:11 AM

Why I'll Never Buy A Tokunbo Car Again - Car Talk (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Why I'll Never Buy A Tokunbo Car Again (45277 Views)

Why You Should Never Buy Your Car Secretly / The Reason Why That Your Tokunbo Car Keeps Overheating Here In Nigeria / Changing The Radiator Of Your Tokunbo Car From Single Cell To Double Cell (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why I'll Never Buy A Tokunbo Car Again by acorntree(m): 2:08pm On Nov 07, 2014
What the op have changed is part of what are change when doing basic service on a car. You're still inexperience with cars , even with new car you still need to change some of these things after many years of use. So be patient to learn

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why I'll Never Buy A Tokunbo Car Again by heatmeup(f): 2:15pm On Nov 07, 2014
mjbaba:
See, everyone knows that buying a brand new car is always better but if you consider the price difference, buying a tokunbo car may be very well worth it. I know people who also bought brand new cars and had issues in less than 2 years just as I know people who bought tokunbo and used it for 4 years without issues. When you're buying a tokunbo car, buy one in very good condition and with low mileage and have it at the back of your Mind that you may have to replace one or two things usually battery, tyres, and a few other things.
low mileage like?
Re: Why I'll Never Buy A Tokunbo Car Again by heatmeup(f): 2:26pm On Nov 07, 2014
rolled:
Ur pocket size makes you see him as forming

I LOVE THIS
Re: Why I'll Never Buy A Tokunbo Car Again by mecussey(m): 2:43pm On Nov 07, 2014
when you buy a sophisticated vehicle then expect a sophisticated problem. I bought an Niger used simple car, changed the engine after 6 months...since then I never had any major problem and this is the 3rd yr
Re: Why I'll Never Buy A Tokunbo Car Again by imperiouxx(m): 3:13pm On Nov 07, 2014
DidiLove1:
What exactly is the point of this post? You changed basic replaceable items in a car that cost next to nothing and that's a reason not to buy tokunbo cars?

I was thinking he would say the engine knocked and the whole car fell apart after just 2 days but instead his cousin is still driving the regrettable car as we speak.

Pointless/useless thread.

4 Likes

Re: Why I'll Never Buy A Tokunbo Car Again by prophetfire: 3:14pm On Nov 07, 2014
My dear I got a toyota corolla tokunbo car,nd am enjoying it real good.been using it for seven months now,only change oil@n put fuel. U were scamed by sharp guys.next time ask for help if u be mugu.

2 Likes

Re: Why I'll Never Buy A Tokunbo Car Again by fyneboi79(m): 3:18pm On Nov 07, 2014
kullozone:

oga relax jare
ur just all ova d place...see as u dey para anyhow.Abi na u sell the ride to am?
y I no go para when he wan use him stupiidity spoil some people source of livelihoodAnd ‎u sef come carry ur mumuness dey encourage am undecided
Re: Why I'll Never Buy A Tokunbo Car Again by fyneboi79(m): 3:27pm On Nov 07, 2014
TheRainmaker1:
Lolz

Guy, Why're you hating now?

Even if I bought the car for #120k, it's still my money; I no steal am.

I deserve value for my money.

Don't worry, God that did mine, will do yours in time. wink

Hating ke For what na,I just have very low tolerance for attention seekers with little or no brains undecided

1 Like

Re: Why I'll Never Buy A Tokunbo Car Again by kullozone(m): 3:28pm On Nov 07, 2014
fyneboi79:
y I no go para when he wan use him stupiidity spoil some people source of livelihoodAnd ‎u sef come carry ur mumuness dey encourage am undecided

Boss,no vex.
you'll sell in Jesus name (amen)
Re: Why I'll Never Buy A Tokunbo Car Again by Nobody: 3:55pm On Nov 07, 2014
DMerciful:
Bought a brand new Hyundai accent 2012 model and I have never done anything other than service for over 2 yrs . I have never topped d radiator and everything is functional. New car is d best....strive for it

On point!

This is the sole purpose of this thread!
Re: Why I'll Never Buy A Tokunbo Car Again by Nobody: 3:56pm On Nov 07, 2014
Pictures of the cars stering wheel or its just an imaginary lie!
Re: Why I'll Never Buy A Tokunbo Car Again by Nobody: 3:56pm On Nov 07, 2014
ollyruffy:
Used vehicles are sold, bought and re-used all over the world. The major problems with most Nigerian buyers of used vehicles are

1. We buy a vehicle that we know nothing about his past record of usage and maintenance from previous owner/s.
2. We do not carry out proper technical inspection of the vehicles before purchasing
3. Using the vehicle, we expect this vehicle to still perform perform like a new vehicle bought from a dealer with a waranty

True talk!

Oya make una enlighten us cheesy
Re: Why I'll Never Buy A Tokunbo Car Again by Nobody: 3:59pm On Nov 07, 2014
mecussey:
when you buy a sophisticated vehicle then expect a sophisticated problem. I bought an Niger used simple car, changed the engine after 6 months...since then I never had any major problem and this is the 3rd yr

You changed the engine? shocked

Isn't that supposed to be like buying a new car? cheesy
Re: Why I'll Never Buy A Tokunbo Car Again by Nobody: 4:03pm On Nov 07, 2014
grayht:
Pictures of the cars stering wheel or its just an imaginary lie!

Hehehehehe

Thumbs up bro.
How come you're the first person to think about that?

All the others just dey look exactly where I want them to look, and see what I want them to see.

What if there's actually NO car?
...except in my imagination angry grin

1 Like

Re: Why I'll Never Buy A Tokunbo Car Again by tranxo(m): 4:24pm On Nov 07, 2014
TheRainmaker1:
So I decided to buy a car...finally!!! (did somebody say congratulations? Thank you)

I'd been saving towards that end, ever since I moved to Lagos started working, and experienced the horrible conditions of Lagos public transport system.

I couldn't decide whether to go for a 'small' brand new car, or a 'bigger', fairly used (Tokunbo) car. Based on popular advice, I opted for a 'clean' (at least it looked clean to me) Tokunbo Honda Accord "Discussion Continues" from Nigeria Ports Authority (Tin Can Island), Apapa.

However, I've spent a whole lot more than I bargained in fixing one stupid thing or the other in the car; from buying a new battery to replacing one of the fans, filter, wheel balancing & alignment, etc.

The worst part is that I have not even driven my car; haven't even as much as touched the steering wheel of the car; I've been too busy lately, preparing for a professional exam. Only my cousin has been driving it for the past two weeks.

I dont think I'll ever buy a fairly used car again, whether na Naija used, or UK used...if e like, make e be for moon wey dem use am.

Next time, even if na Golf or Picanto my money reach, I'm buying brand new.

Na God go judge all these oyibo people wey go buy brand new car, come use am for several years, then send am come Africa.

Shey we dey forbid brand new cars for Naija?

Lol....d guy don chop you well well. This post shows you are not street-smart (book worm?). Your cousin knows this and exploited you successfully.... lol.

4 Likes

Re: Why I'll Never Buy A Tokunbo Car Again by christopher123(m): 4:59pm On Nov 07, 2014
erico2k2:

They don't offer same level of safety as regards the so called TOKS

OH WHAT SAFETY LEVEL ARE WE TALKING ABOUT BRO...INNOSSON HAS AIR BAGS AND SEAT BELT WHICH EVERY OTHER MODERN CAR HAVE...THERE ARE CALLED PRIMARY SAFETY AND SECONDARY SAFETY.....

SO LET US ASSUME THAT INNOSSON DONT OFFER SAFETY SO MUST WE BE CONSUMERS OF WESTERN PRODUCTS INSTEAD OF PRODUCING....

THIS IS WHY THEY LAUGH AT US BLACKS......PLS CHANGE THIS ORIENTATION
Re: Why I'll Never Buy A Tokunbo Car Again by InvertedHammer: 5:02pm On Nov 07, 2014
/
It is obvious that the OP has no experience about cars.

Brand new cars have recalls, etc.

Most importantly, won't he be driving the car on Nigeria roads?

Good luck!

\

2 Likes

Re: Why I'll Never Buy A Tokunbo Car Again by mecussey(m): 5:09pm On Nov 07, 2014
TheRainmaker1:

You changed the engine? shocked

Isn't that supposed to be like buying a new car? cheesy

Engine is cheap...i didnt regret it

2 Likes

Re: Why I'll Never Buy A Tokunbo Car Again by erico2k2(m): 5:12pm On Nov 07, 2014
christopher123:

OH WHAT SAFETY LEVEL ARE WE TALKING ABOUT BRO...INNOSSON HAS AIR BAGS AND SEAT BELT WHICH EVERY OTHER MODERN CAR HAVE...THERE ARE CALLED PRIMARY SAFETY AND SECONDARY SAFETY.....

SO LET US ASSUME THAT INNOSSON DONT OFFER SAFETY SO MUST WE BE CONSUMERS OF WESTERN PRODUCTS INSTEAD OF PRODUCING....

THIS IS WHY THEY LAUGH AT US BLACKS......PLS CHANGE THIS ORIENTATION
no need to type in upper case, let me ask you a question, do you drive one of these vehicles? Innosson or Kia?
Re: Why I'll Never Buy A Tokunbo Car Again by erico2k2(m): 5:16pm On Nov 07, 2014
Just to add to my argument, everyone shouting I bought brand new cars, I noticed its all Korean cars, I'm waiting to see who bought brand new Japanese ,European or American cars, I'm waiting,

1 Like

Re: Why I'll Never Buy A Tokunbo Car Again by rolled: 5:18pm On Nov 07, 2014
I got a brand new honda accord,American spec
If u need pix I can send them to you
And anything too special abt European or American cars

Everything just boils down to pocket size
Pple loving tok's cars,they know why dey love it

erico2k2:
Just to add to my argument, everyone shouting I bought brand new cars, I noticed its all Korean cars, I'm waiting to see who bought brand new Japanese ,European or American cars, I'm waiting,

1 Like

Re: Why I'll Never Buy A Tokunbo Car Again by erico2k2(m): 5:29pm On Nov 07, 2014
rolled:

You missed the point, they are expensive, twice the price of TOKS, if your Honda at toks is 2M new will be 4M, you confused me when you asked question about what's special about American and European cars, Answer, the are built to specifics according to motoring laws. Your car is an American car even though its Toyota.
Re: Why I'll Never Buy A Tokunbo Car Again by idu1(m): 5:34pm On Nov 07, 2014
erico2k2:
lol
Re: Why I'll Never Buy A Tokunbo Car Again by megastu(m): 5:39pm On Nov 07, 2014
You bought a Nigerian Used car branded as tokunbo. Its a very common thing in berger and even at the port where you claimed you bought the car.
Re: Why I'll Never Buy A Tokunbo Car Again by erico2k2(m): 5:39pm On Nov 07, 2014
idu1:
lol
why You dey laugh? na true nah lol
Re: Why I'll Never Buy A Tokunbo Car Again by erico2k2(m): 5:41pm On Nov 07, 2014
rolled:

I dey wait to see howmuch your car cost oh and what year since you say na brand new from America to 9ja cos that money fit buy highlander life.
Re: Why I'll Never Buy A Tokunbo Car Again by Galadimabawa: 5:42pm On Nov 07, 2014
God bless me with money to buy a tokumbo car

1 Like

Re: Why I'll Never Buy A Tokunbo Car Again by fyneboi79(m): 5:47pm On Nov 07, 2014
kullozone:

Boss,no vex.
‎u sef no vex for d para ,na wetin GEJ dey cos with him bad government grin dats y I want make we comot am make all dis para for stop.
Re: Why I'll Never Buy A Tokunbo Car Again by fyneboi79(m): 5:49pm On Nov 07, 2014
kullozone:

Boss,no vex.
‎u sef no vex for d para ,na wetin GEJ dey cos with him bad government grin dats y I want make we comot am make all dis para for stop. no vex my man
Re: Why I'll Never Buy A Tokunbo Car Again by erico2k2(m): 5:49pm On Nov 07, 2014
Galadimabawa:
God bless me with money to buy a tokumbo car
you are almost there, think Big

1 Like

Re: Why I'll Never Buy A Tokunbo Car Again by Galadimabawa: 5:59pm On Nov 07, 2014
erico2k2:

you are almost there, think Big
amin my brother
Re: Why I'll Never Buy A Tokunbo Car Again by idu1(m): 6:02pm On Nov 07, 2014
erico2k2:

why You dey laugh? na true nah lol
lol even if na indian TATA na new car......

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

PAN Nigeria Limited Begins The Production Of Higer Bus / How Does The Use Of Car AC Affect Fuel Consumption? / SUV Falls From Bridge In Abuja (Photo)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.