Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,199 members, 7,780,342 topics. Date: Thursday, 28 March 2024 at 12:51 PM

2015 Presidential Ticket: APC Govs Insist On VP Slot - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / 2015 Presidential Ticket: APC Govs Insist On VP Slot (2571 Views)

Muslim-muslim Ticket: APC Keeps Mum Over Saraki’s Claims / Buhari Shocks APC Govs, Rejects Ministerial List. / We Are Not Planning To Field A Muslim-muslim Ticket – APC (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

2015 Presidential Ticket: APC Govs Insist On VP Slot by Nobody: 7:15am On Nov 08, 2014
NOVEMBER 8, 2014 BY NIYI ODEBODE, JOHN ALECHENU AND CHUWUDI AKASIKE
71 Comments

Okorocha, Oshiomhole and Amaechi
There are strong indications that the All Progressives Congress governors may produce the party’s vice-presidential candidate for the 2015 election.

Saturday PUNCH’s investigations on Thursday in Abuja showed that the governors were demanding that one of them should be given the party’s vice-presidential slot.

It was reliably gathered that their demand was premised on the indication that a former Head of State, Gen. Muhammadu Buhari (retd.) or ex-Vice-President Atiku Abubakar might get the presidential ticket.

It was learnt that the governors were insisting on having one of them as vice- president, if they lost out in the quest to fly the party’s presidential flag.

The governors seeking the party’s presidential ticket are Rochas Okorocha (Imo State) and Rabiu Kwakwanso (Kano State) though Okorocha has not formally declared his intention to contest the Presidential ticket.

The Publisher of Leadership Newspaper, Mr. Sam Nda-Isaiah, is also seeking the APC presidential ticket.

It was gathered that the outcome of the presidential primary would determine the zoning of other elective offices.

At the outset of the merging of the legacy parties (the Action Congress of Nigeria, the All Nigeria Peoples Party and the Congress for Progressive Change), it was learnt that there was a tentative agreement that the North should produce the President, while the vice-president should come from the South-West.

Investigations, however, showed that the demand of the governors might lead to the adjustment of the party’s tentative agreement on zoning.

Currently, none of the party’s governors in the South-West is a Christian and with the nationwide resentment against Muslim-Muslim ticket, the APC is not ready to field a presidential candidate and a running mate of the same faith.

It was learnt that the party was currently exploring the possibility of picking the vice-presidential candidate from the South-East or the South-South.

The APC governors in the two zones include Okorocha, Adams Oshiomhole (Edo State) and Rotimi Amaechi (Rivers State).

A top official of the party, who confided in Saturday PUNCH, said, “We have not concluded discussions on the presidential ticket.

“All I can tell you for now is that either Buhari or Atiku may get the ticket. The governors are also demanding that an incumbent governor from the South should be picked as the vice-presidential candidate.

“We are looking towards the South-South and South-East to ensure that we field a Muslim-Christian ticket. We have assured Nigerians that we are not contemplating a Muslim-Muslim ticket and we will not disappoint them.”

The APC National Chairman, Chief John Odigie-Oyegun, had, last month said the party had never contemplated fielding a presidential and vice presidential candidates who belong to the same faith.

Besides governors’ demand for the vice-presidential slot, Saturday PUNCH learnt that various groups within the party had started lobbying.

It was gathered that those currently in contention include Oshiomhole, Amaechi, Babatunde Fashola (Lagos State) and a former Attorney-General and Commissioner for Justice in Lagos State, Prof. Yemi Osinbajo.

A highly placed party source said, “No firm decision has been taken with regard to the issue of who will become vice- president yet.

“The governors are insisting that if one of them cannot be number one, they should at least be allowed to produce number two.

“Initially, most of the governors insisted on the number one position but later agreed that if they are to concede, something must be given to them in return. If you remember, one of the aspirants, Kwankwaso, even gave indications that he would like to run with former Ekiti State Governor, Dr. Kayode Fayemi.

“For Fashola, those making a case for him point to his record of achievements in the last seven and half years in office
Re: 2015 Presidential Ticket: APC Govs Insist On VP Slot by Descartes: 7:17am On Nov 08, 2014
Are you sure these political "maradonas" are not gonna give Buhari the Jang treatment this one they are clamouring for VP slot? undecided

Buhari is politically naive-Sule Lamido tongue

1 Like

Re: 2015 Presidential Ticket: APC Govs Insist On VP Slot by Nobody: 7:17am On Nov 08, 2014
“All of these things will depend on how the presidential candidate emerges. If we go ahead to do the primary without consensus, a lot will depend on the disposition of the party’s national chieftain, Asiwaju Bola Tinubu.

“If he is convinced that the party’s interest will be better served by promoting someone outside the South-West, then Oshiomole or Ameachi is likely to be favoured.”

The source added, “If, however, he believes that it would be better served with a VP from the South-West, then you can be sure he will settle for a core loyalist and Oshibajo may be favoured because of his loyalty and background as a Christian.

“However, there is this school of thought that some powers that be would rather have Fashola out in the political wilderness for the next four years to neutralise him.”

When asked to comment on the governors’ alleged insistence on the VP slot, the National Publicity Secretary of the APC, Alhaji Lai Mohammed, in a brief telephone interview with Saturday PUNCH, said the party would cross the bridge when it got there.

Mohammed said, “Right now, we are busy preparing for our presidential primary. It is when we conclude that process that we can talk of other issues. Be patient.”

Speaking in a similar vein, a leading member of the Buhari campaign, Osita Okechuckwu, said it was too early to talk about the VP slot.

He argued that all members of the party were eager to see who emerges as the party’s flag bearer. This, he said, would go a long way in paving the way for a running mate.

Okechukwu said, “You cannot be talking about the VP slot now because the issue of who gets the ticket has yet to be decided.

“I am sure as soon as the flag bearer emerges, other things such as who becomes his running mate will follow.”

A close aide to Okorocha, who pleaded anonymity because he was not permitted to speak on the issue, said the governor was still consulting, adding that he had not officially declared his intention to contest the APC presidential ticket.

“But because of his achievements, people of his state have asked him to continue in office,” he said.

The aide described Okorocha, who is also the Chairman of the APC Governors’ Forum, as the best among the party’s presidential aspirants.

He said, “Northern students union invited him to a function in Kaduna recently where they urged him to run for the presidential election, while students in Imo State are urging him not to run for the presidential election but rather to continue his good work in Imo State. Very soon, he will address the press.”

The Rivers State Governor, Mr. Rotimi Amaechi, has said that he is ready to serve in any capacity for the development of Nigeria.

He dismissed claims that he would be working against the interest of the South-South geo-political zone should he be chosen to be the running mate to Buhari.

Amaechi, who described the South-South as a zone comprising different people with diverse culture and beliefs, said every politically conscious person was free to associate and express his political interest.

The governor, who spoke through the Chief of Staff, Government House, Port Harcourt, Chief Tony Okocha, explained that there was nothing wrong in serving in any other capacity after handing over in 2015.

Stressing that power comes from God, Amaechi said since he was still a young man, he could serve Nigerians in any capacity, including being a running mate to Buhari if the ex-Head of State emerged as the APC presidential flag bearer.

Okocha said, “Governor Amaechi is a young man. We do believe that power comes from God. Amaechi is young and two days to his handing over, he will be 50 years. The governor will be 50 years on May 27, 2015 and he is going to hand over on May 29, 2015. So, we will await what providence has for him.”

http://www.punchng.com/news/2015-presidential-ticket-apc-govs-insist-on-vp-slot/
Re: 2015 Presidential Ticket: APC Govs Insist On VP Slot by mikeywise(m): 7:18am On Nov 08, 2014
Ok
Re: 2015 Presidential Ticket: APC Govs Insist On VP Slot by Descartes: 7:20am On Nov 08, 2014
Hmmm
Re: 2015 Presidential Ticket: APC Govs Insist On VP Slot by Extom(m): 7:25am On Nov 08, 2014
I foresee I great battle.
Re: 2015 Presidential Ticket: APC Govs Insist On VP Slot by ichidodo: 7:26am On Nov 08, 2014
There is no need beating about the bush just field a moslem-moslem ticket and save us including GEJ the trouble.... bloody Janjweeds.

13 Likes

Re: 2015 Presidential Ticket: APC Govs Insist On VP Slot by Nobody: 7:51am On Nov 08, 2014
So Tinubu the renowned thief and former governor of Lagos state, who had nothing to show for his 8 year uneventful reign in Lagos, is now the leader of APC? And this same APC talk of change?
Who's deceiving who?
Change my foot

18 Likes 3 Shares

Re: 2015 Presidential Ticket: APC Govs Insist On VP Slot by mrvitalis(m): 7:57am On Nov 08, 2014
pls APC just face it present us with .....

buhari/ fashola ....as an igbo man i will still vote this

but if i have the power i will go for fashola/utomi
or fashola/ameachi
Re: 2015 Presidential Ticket: APC Govs Insist On VP Slot by NgeneUkwenu(f): 8:00am On Nov 08, 2014
Sincere9gerian:
[s]So Tinubu the renowned thief and former governor of Lagos state, who had nothing to show for his 8 year uneventful reign in Lagos, is now the leader of APC? And this same APC talk of change?
Who's deceiving who?[/s]

I thought you supposed to be inside the toilet washing Shepopo's undies at this hour? Who let you out? Abi you dey on break?

11 Likes

Re: 2015 Presidential Ticket: APC Govs Insist On VP Slot by ahaika23: 8:04am On Nov 08, 2014
NgeneUkwenu:

I thought you supposed to be inside the toilet washing Shepop's undies at this hour? Who let you out?
grin grin grin. You be mumu o

13 Likes

Re: 2015 Presidential Ticket: APC Govs Insist On VP Slot by Amanwulu1(m): 8:04am On Nov 08, 2014
there is war ahead.
Re: 2015 Presidential Ticket: APC Govs Insist On VP Slot by dridowu: 8:07am On Nov 08, 2014
@topic , It is either Ameachi or Oshiomole because Okorocha will want to run 4 2nd term before he think of presidency again.
Sincere9gerian:
So Tinubu the renowned thief and former governor of Lagos state, who had nothing to show for his 8 year uneventful reign in Lagos, is now the leader of APC? And this same APC talk of change?
Who's deceiving who?
@bolded, ds got me laughing out loud ,hmmmmmmmmmmmm, Tinubu a renowned thief ? Tinubu has always been an opposition man since 1999 till date, he left the position as Governor in 2007, from 2007 till date he does not enjoy immunity any more. PDP (FG) has been in government from May 29 1999 till date. PDP (FG) hand pick the CJN, EFCC, ICPC, IGP, CNS, CDS e.t.c yet they find it difficult to arrest, prosecute talkless of jailing him. So how did Tinubu now become a thief ?
People like Bode George, Tafa Balogun, Alamesigha , Ibori e.t.c are the main thieves, they have been arrested, prosecuted and jailed though the boss has forgiven some base on reason best known to him. So my brother stop defamation.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: 2015 Presidential Ticket: APC Govs Insist On VP Slot by pentagonal: 8:10am On Nov 08, 2014
Sincere9gerian:
Who's deceiving who?

it's either your brain cell have trip off or you mortgage it for two morsel of akpu. so if tinubu is corrupt, the onus is on your otueke lord to try him. and I don't get the obsession with a man that have left office for eons. plus the fact that the man ran a state without the monthly fg handouts and credited for the ingenious way he boosted the igr of Lagos state. makes you not only a joke but a worthless, slimy and brainless nematode conceive by polyandrous millipedes.

14 Likes 2 Shares

Re: 2015 Presidential Ticket: APC Govs Insist On VP Slot by karlmax2: 8:13am On Nov 08, 2014
NgeneUkwenu:

I thought you supposed to be inside the toilet washing Shepop's undies at this hour? Who let you out?
E DEY PAIN YOU GO DRINK POISON IF YOU NO LIKE EM COMMENT

4 Likes

Re: 2015 Presidential Ticket: APC Govs Insist On VP Slot by teemy(m): 8:18am On Nov 08, 2014
considering that amaechi carries a lot of controversies, oshiomole would be more beneficial to the apc with his vast labour support and affiliation to the south; west, east and south. i do not know much on okorocha

1 Like

Re: 2015 Presidential Ticket: APC Govs Insist On VP Slot by karlmax2: 8:18am On Nov 08, 2014
pentagonal:

it's either your brain cell have trip off or you mortgage it for two morsel of akpu. so if tinubu is corrupt, the onus is on your otueke lord to try him. and I don't get the obsession with a man that have left office for eons. plus the fact that the man ran a state without the monthly fg handouts and credited for the ingenious way he boosted the igr of Lagos state. makes you not only a joke but a worthless, slimy and brainless nematode conceive by polyandrous millipedes.
their is nothing to prove we already know he is corrupt that is why 10 percent of lagosian tax payers money go to him. he is corrupt that is why his wife, daughter, inlaw , brother inlaw are all in either state house of assemble or the senate. he is corrupt the toll we pay go to his pocket and he has claimed half of the properties and land belonging to lagos state to his own private property any example is the formal eti osa local government office in Victoria island where he is building a shopping mall. these are all facts but he would meet his waterloo in the next election. I know you would come out swinging with insults that's what cowards are known for.cowards who hate to face facts and cant live with it so they resort to insult . and I know you one

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: 2015 Presidential Ticket: APC Govs Insist On VP Slot by Nobody: 8:19am On Nov 08, 2014
Sincere9gerian:
Who's deceiving who?
Change my foot
crying more than the bereaved.
Why not concentrate on the problems and divisions in PDP happening in virtually all states controlled by the useless party instead of always finding faults in APC?
What is wrong in APC governors demanding for the VP slot? That is the beauty of democracy you know! All the APC governors are performing well in their various states so they have every right to demand for the slot.

3 Likes

Re: 2015 Presidential Ticket: APC Govs Insist On VP Slot by Davvymavvy(f): 8:21am On Nov 08, 2014
President.......Buhari

Vice President.......Westerner

Any arrangement different from the above is a suicide mission for apc in SW.

A word is enough for the wise
Re: 2015 Presidential Ticket: APC Govs Insist On VP Slot by anonimi: 8:23am On Nov 08, 2014
Sincere9gerian:
Who's deceiving who?
Change my foot

Seems you are not aware of the latest equation/formula, so make I yarn you:

Arewa People's Congress = HYPOCRISY = APC

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: 2015 Presidential Ticket: APC Govs Insist On VP Slot by Lordlexyy: 8:24am On Nov 08, 2014
ichidodo:
There is no need beating about the bush just field a moslem-moslem ticket and save us including GEJ the trouble.... bloody Janjweeds.
Says the tribalist blinded by hate and prejudice rather than canvassing for quality leadership. By this action, Apc has shown a level playing field for all contenders and also demonstrated what internal democracy entails, away from a party where the presidential primary was sold to the highest bidder against the will of other eligible contenders.

3 Likes

Re: 2015 Presidential Ticket: APC Govs Insist On VP Slot by pentagonal: 8:24am On Nov 08, 2014
karlmax2:
their is nothing to prove we already know he is corrupt that is why 10 percent of lagosian tax payers money go to him. he is corrupt that is why his wife, daughter, inlaw , brother inlaw are all in either state house of assemble or the senate. he is corrupt the toll we pay go to his pocket and he has claimed half of the properties and land belonging to lagos state to his own. these are all facts but he would meet his waterloo in the nest election

you are m0ron general in the UN... pray, tell us how tinubu and son single handedly elected those peeps to those position?? y'all saTAN's are cursed little wonder you throw around rubbish,pull him down allegation. laughable how do state run institutions turn to a single man allocation. may amadioha plague you with lunacy and bubonic plague, your tax goes to him yet the Lagos state government igr keep sky rocketing year in and year out. all I can see is a brain dead andriod showing advance signs of the same mental illness plaguing pej from excessive sucking of gej salty balls. get well soon.

2 Likes

Re: 2015 Presidential Ticket: APC Govs Insist On VP Slot by ichidodo: 8:41am On Nov 08, 2014
Lordlexyy:
[s] Says the tribalist blinded by hate and prejudice rather than canvassing for quality leadership. By this action, Apc has shown a level playing field for all contenders and also demonstrated what internal democracy entails, away from a party where the presidential primary was sold to the highest bidder against the will of other eligible contenders.[/s]
This was your tribalistic comment " i suddenly
realise that these people are some Igbo
sales boy managing kiosks while
taken up time posting rhetoric craps. Cos,
no intelligent being no matter how
tribalistic could be this blind to make such
suggestations posted by op. It's too damn
local and unrefined. It gives an image of
poorly breed people void of touch with
the real world."Now you can quit being sanctimonious and hypocritic cuz it takes a bigotic mindset to come up with that septic crap,my dear janjweed.

3 Likes

Re: 2015 Presidential Ticket: APC Govs Insist On VP Slot by Lordlexyy: 8:43am On Nov 08, 2014
karlmax2:
their is nothing to prove we already know he is corrupt that is why 10 percent of lagosian tax payers money go to him. he is corrupt that is why his wife, daughter, inlaw , brother inlaw are all in either state house of assemble or the senate. he is corrupt the toll we pay go to his pocket and he has claimed half of the properties and land belonging to lagos state to his own private property any example is the formal eti osa local government office in Victoria island where he is building a shopping mall. these are all facts but he would meet his waterloo in the next election. I know you would come out swinging with insults that's what cowards are known for.cowards who hate to face facts and cant live with it so they resort to insult . and I know you one
Very obvious what your brain cells comprises of. You mean to say we have such a high prize 'criminal' tormenting fg, patrolling over the place, championing the greatest opposition party in the history of this country and yet the federal gov't is still helpless to nail him? Common man, you must be a joke. You show me a criminal walking around freely and untouch and i will show you a clueless, confused, incompetent, inconsequential, unfit, ill prepared, dis - jointed and very corrupt central government. God for bid that i hold brief for Tinubu. He may be all and even more that you have said, but the duty to bundle him with concrete evidence rest with the fg other wise your allegation is tantamount to assumption or beer parlour speculation. I have zero tolerance for corruption hence the above chosen words to describe the negligence of the gov't.

1 Like

Re: 2015 Presidential Ticket: APC Govs Insist On VP Slot by Bobbystanley(m): 8:55am On Nov 08, 2014
Pls How many position does Rochas want in 2015?

He is campaigning for second term as Governor and also Campaigning for Presidency at the same time.
Now he wants to be VP.

2 Likes

Re: 2015 Presidential Ticket: APC Govs Insist On VP Slot by Lordlexyy: 8:58am On Nov 08, 2014
ichidodo:
This was your tribalistic comment " i suddenly
realise that these people are some Igbo
sales boy managing kiosks while
taken up time posting rhetoric craps. Cos,
no intelligent being no matter how
tribalistic could be this blind to make such
suggestations posted by op. It's too damn
local and unrefined. It gives an image of
poorly breed people void of touch with
the real world."Now you can quit being sanctimonious and hypocritic,my dear janjweed.
I will advise you to go back and read the post properly, you will find my DAD some where in the equation. No pretense about it. My ascertion wasn't in the spirit to condemn any particular tribe, except you choose to see it so from your myopic view. I said what i did base on the percentage of those i perceived had sold sound reasoning on the alter of pettiness and partisanship. To me, there is nothing tribal about. Beside, i still give credit to those from that side who dare to stand out, and I didn't generalise in any way.

1 Like

Re: 2015 Presidential Ticket: APC Govs Insist On VP Slot by gists: 8:59am On Nov 08, 2014
PDP saTANists getting jittery ahead of what promises to be their last reign come 2014 grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: 2015 Presidential Ticket: APC Govs Insist On VP Slot by doctokwus: 9:12am On Nov 08, 2014
D other gud thing about d speculations in d report is dat it may b d first time in a longwhile nig wud b having 2strong personalities at d helm of affairs if Buhari succeeds wt either Oshiomole or Amaechi as vp.These are strong,opinionated men in their own right,unlike d mess we av bn havin since yar adua took over.
I like d idea of amaechi bcoming vp.Eventhough,he mayb on a vendetta against his sworn enemies(particularly d present 1st family who I tink amaechi detests bc he feels dey are both beneath him intellectually and morally) if he becomes vp,we must all gv it to him because he is dogged,blives in his ideals,fights his fights,most times alone, and he wud b a strong,persuasive voice in pushing govt policies thru and reining in d many corrupt dat parade d corridors of power just as buhari as d president wud.
Oshiomole is also ok,but amaechi I feel wud b a strong and better campaigner using all apparati available to him to sway a lot of ss votes and moderates in other regions who mistakenly c buhari as a religious/ethnic bigot.
Re: 2015 Presidential Ticket: APC Govs Insist On VP Slot by ichidodo: 9:18am On Nov 08, 2014
Lordlexyy:
I will advise you to go back and read the post properly, you will find my DAD some where in the equation. No pretense about it. My ascertion wasn't in the spirit to condemn any particular tribe, except you choose to see it so from your myopic view. I said what i did base on the percentage of those i perceived had sold sound reasoning on the alter of pettiness and partisanship. To me, there is nothing tribal about. Beside, i still give credit to those from that side who dare to stand out, and I didn't generalise in any way.
We believe you....#sarcasm...

1 Like

Re: 2015 Presidential Ticket: APC Govs Insist On VP Slot by jmaine: 9:23am On Nov 08, 2014
anonimi:

Seems you are not aware of the latest equation/formula, so make I yarn you:

Arewa People's Congress = HYPOCRISY = APC

Succinctly put.

4 Likes

(1) (2) (Reply)

Main Lesson From Jonathan's Plight / WHY ARE THE IGBOS THE ONLY TRIBE SUPPORTING SARAKI??? / Nigeria Produces Its First Ford Car(photo)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 71
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.