Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,046 members, 7,799,539 topics. Date: Wednesday, 17 April 2024 at 12:20 AM

Brand New Ford Focus 2014 Transmission Overheating - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Brand New Ford Focus 2014 Transmission Overheating (24225 Views)

Overheating – All You Need To Know / What Causes Overheating And How Can It Be Totally Prevented / "Brand New" Ford Escape 2012 From Coscharis here In Lagos.... (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Brand New Ford Focus 2014 Transmission Overheating by onyx79(m): 4:13pm On Nov 08, 2014
My 5 month old Ford Focus purchased from Coscharis shows "Transmission Overheating" while in traffic. This happened when the car was 2 months old and now in its 5th month, the same problem has crept up. After 2 visits to the Company workshop, the feedback I have is: " it is a function of how you drive...that's the way the car was made, you need to shift gears to Neutral each time you are in traffic beyond 5 minutes." Meanwhile the Ford Edge or Explorer don't have the same issues. I drive my Honda and other cars the same without these transmission issues. Why Ford Focus? Coscharis is not prepared to make any amends. So, have I made a grave mistake buying this car? Anyone out there with the same issues? How can I get compensated for this??
Re: Brand New Ford Focus 2014 Transmission Overheating by b2212(m): 5:17pm On Nov 08, 2014
onyx79:
My 5 month old Ford Focus purchased from Coscharis shows "Transmission Overheating" while in traffic. This happened when the car was 2 months old and now in its 5th month, the same problem has crept up. After 2 visits to the Company workshop, the feedback I have is: " it is a function of how you drive...that's the way the car was made, you need to shift gears to Neutral each time you are in traffic beyond 5 minutes." Meanwhile the Ford Edge or Explorer don't have the same issues. I drive my Honda and other cars the same without these transmission issues. Why Ford Focus? Coscharis is not prepared to make any amends. So, have I made a grave mistake buying this car? Anyone out there with the same issues? How can I get compensated for this??
My bro don't let them pull wool over ur eyes. Go online do some research and threaten to sue. If they knew it shouldn't be driven in traffic y was it sold in naija. Me thinks coscharis knws more than they r letting on. Besides there should be some form of warranty.
My 2 kobo

3 Likes

Re: Brand New Ford Focus 2014 Transmission Overheating by Denn(m): 5:31pm On Nov 08, 2014
b2212:

My bro don't let them pull wool over ur eyes. Go online do some research and threaten to sue. If they knew it shouldn't be driven in traffic y was it sold in naija. Me thinks coscharis knws more than they r letting on. Besides there should be some form of warranty.
My 2 kobo

It is unfortunate they gave you that kind of response.

A car should be able to survive 10 hours of continuous traffic anywhere in the world.... Artic or Sahara.

The car has a defect and should be rectified.

Send your complaints to them via email and ensure you document all discussions.

1 Like

Re: Brand New Ford Focus 2014 Transmission Overheating by onyx79(m): 7:15pm On Nov 08, 2014
Denn:

It is unfortunate they gave you that kind of response.

A car should be able to survive 10 hours of continuous traffic anywhere in the world.... Artic or Sahara.

The car has a defect and should be rectified.

Send your complaints to them via email and ensure you document all discussions.

Thanks Guys! Will certainly engage them through legal means and the Consumer Complaints Commission. They can't just get away with such explanations. Why sell such a car in Africa if it's not suitable?
Re: Brand New Ford Focus 2014 Transmission Overheating by BE811APP: 10:03pm On Nov 08, 2014
I truly Sympathise with ur situation...
But its Sad for someone to go for a brand new car and still face challenges..
When someone who is lucky to get a good Tokunbo car and won't give head aches in 5years...

I truly don't like seeing or hearing cars giving problems...
Its well with you brother...

1 Like

Re: Brand New Ford Focus 2014 Transmission Overheating by nissparts(m): 11:02pm On Nov 08, 2014
It's a STUPID design from Ford.
You are one of several other Focus owners around the world with this problem.

3 Likes

Re: Brand New Ford Focus 2014 Transmission Overheating by Ikenna351(m): 11:36pm On Nov 08, 2014
Onyx79,

No matter how you don't want to hear it, the dealership is not far from the truth. You are using the transmission wrongly.

Our problem is we always think we know how to drive this things and use them, hence, no one bothers to get or read their owners Owners manual after acquisition. Its likely it was stated clearly in that manual what the dealership told you.

Most owners manual I have come across will tell you not to leave Auto tranny in Drive in traffic jam for certain amount of time. But we don't do adhere to all these instructions because we sabi everything. Heat is a main killer of Auto transmission, ford or Honda, it leaves no mercy.

The early EFI systems would not protect the engine or the system when something big fails, hence, people continue to drive such cars in those conditions until it kills the engine, transmissions or cause major breakdown or repair. But on recent EFI vehicles, they have been programmed to go into limp home mode to protect the vehicle when certain sensitive EFI or transmission systems fail and force you to fix the issue. Likewise, early EFI had no system check on catalytic converters, hence, people continue to pollute the environment even when their catalytic converters fail. But with Euro IV & V emission systems on Peugeots, once the monitoring sensor of the caty fails, the car will automatically becomes sluggish on acceleration. To force you to replace the failed downstream sensor that monitors the caty, so that it continue to monitor and warn you when the caty is in bad shape, to prevent polluting the environment. If I would understand what you said, Ford introduced a system to protect the Ford Auto tranny from breaking down, when owners refuse to drive their cars properly. "Transmission overheating" could simply means a warning to reduce stress on transmission when not in use. Do you actually know what goes on in transmission when you leave it on drive and hold the car with brake? Why do you think peoples Auto trannys fail even when they religiously renew their transmissions ATF with recommended fluid?

Open, read and study the owners manual the car came with a,d understand how to operate the car, if you wish long lifespan for the car.

You could be right, but the dealership was not wrong either, as far reason they gave you was concerned.

Ikenna

7 Likes

Re: Brand New Ford Focus 2014 Transmission Overheating by sultaan(m): 5:29pm On Nov 09, 2014
I can't apologize for Coscharis that is one of the benefits of monopoly

It is time for you to join a Ford forum and read your owners manual

Go through this forum maybe you will understand what was going on with your car.

http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=301115

That was put in place to let you know you were riding your clutch and that is how you destroy your trans, if that warning is not there you won't know.

1 Like

Re: Brand New Ford Focus 2014 Transmission Overheating by CosFordService: 9:14am On Nov 11, 2014
The Ford PowerShift is a six-speed dual clutch semi-automatic gearbox produced by the Ford Motor Company The Ford PowerShift gearboxes are built by Getrag Ford Transmissions, a joint-venture with Getrag PowerShift improves fuel efficiency by as much as 10 percent when compared to a conventional automatic transmission.

The operation of a dual clutch transmission is analogous to two traditional manual transmissions, each with its own clutch, operating in parallel and alternating shifts. The Ford unit is a six-speed with one clutch acting on first, third and fifth gear, and the other used for second, fourth and sixth gear. As first gear is engaged, the 2-4-6 clutch is disengaged and the second gear cogs are engaged. At the appropriate time, the 1-3-5 clutch is disengaged and the 2-4-6 clutch is engaged. While in second gear, the other side shifts from first to third. The process is repeated with quick smooth shifts and none of the efficiency loss normally associated with torque converters.

The PowerShift gearbox is a joint development between Ford, Getrag and Luk and was first introduced in Europe. Both Volvo and Ford use wet clutches and hydraulic actuation. However, the new PowerShift gearbox used in the Ford Fiesta and Ford Focus uses dry clutches and electric motor/solenoid actuation.

The Ford Powershift automatic transmission uses two 3-speed gearboxes connected via a pair of clutches. When drive is selected, transmission #1 engages 1st gear and transmission #2 selects 2nd. Clutch #1 engages and the car pulls away in first. When it’s time to change gear, it uses clutch #2 to swap transmission, with #1 immediately pre-selecting 3rd etc

The display observed by the customer is likely in line with the built-in strategy on the vehicle ECU and therefore should be normal based on the design of the transmission and the operating condition of the vehicle(heavy traffic situation) during the display.

For avoidance of doubt please see an excerpt of the transmission strategy below. We further need to educate our customers using vehicles with this transmission assembly(Focus). I believe this will improve their knowledge and understanding of the vehicle and reduce their fears.

Hot mode

The temperature of the clutch is calculated via a model in the TCM.

The following variables are incorporated in the calculation:

Engine torque
Rotational speed signals from the ISS A, ISS B, OSS and the engine speed
Calculated torque transfer of the clutch

The Hot Mode function is used to prevent the clutch from being damaged as a result of excessively high temperatures. When hot mode is active, the clutch is engaged more quickly and the engine torque is reduced.

At a calculated clutch temperature at which the clutch lining would suffer heat damage, the following message is displayed on the message center:

Transmission hot - stop the vehicle or accelerate
Transmission hot - wait
Transmission hot - wait 10 minutes.

Once the clutch has cooled down, the message "Transmission ready for operation" is displayed on the multi-function display of the instrument cluster.

At a calculated clutch temperature of more than 300 °C (572 °F) the clutches are disengaged.

To summarize all transmissions with torque convertors do get hot and can cause the fluid in them to blacken (burn) and it is only a few that will give you a protection warning usually switching off the drive. These Ford dry dual clutches are similar to the normal manual transmissions and it is a known fact that the clutch will be affected if any manual transmission is held in gear for too long. The Edge and the Explorer gearboxes have a normal fluid torque convertor.

Page 93 of the Ford Focus Owners Manual gives a clear indication of care to be taken. Picture attached.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Brand New Ford Focus 2014 Transmission Overheating by Kashif(m): 9:45am On Nov 11, 2014
Case closed.
Re: Brand New Ford Focus 2014 Transmission Overheating by aieromon(m): 9:47am On Nov 11, 2014
We get to learn something new everyday.
Re: Brand New Ford Focus 2014 Transmission Overheating by sultaan(m): 6:23pm On Nov 11, 2014
Imagine if he had taken it to undertree mechanic before coming here he will say ford is bad the fact I'd all these new cars are electronics now
Re: Brand New Ford Focus 2014 Transmission Overheating by VolvoS60(m): 2:56am On Nov 12, 2014
OP,

From the snapshot of the owners manual posted earlier by another poster (assuming here that it is the relevant manual for your car), it seems you don't have a problem.

On the other hand for your sake, I hope your transmission is not one of those referred to in this old thread which you may or may not find useful: https://www.nairaland.com/818945/automatic-transmission-benefits-outweigh-issues
Re: Brand New Ford Focus 2014 Transmission Overheating by lonelydora: 6:12am On Nov 12, 2014
Calling my friend that just bought Ford Focus asap.

Since I started driving I always shift into neutral at any available holdup, because I get tired of holding the brake, little did I know I was doing all the cars i have used good out of ignorance.

Little wonder most of friends complain about their Honda tranny when mine is still in a good shape.

We learn everyday shaa.

Dialing Iyke........

4 Likes

Re: Brand New Ford Focus 2014 Transmission Overheating by nissparts(m): 9:05am On Nov 12, 2014
lonelydora:
Calling my friend that just bought Ford Focus asap.

Since I started driving I always shift into neutral at any available holdup, because I get tired of holding the brake, little did I know I was doing all the cars i have used good out of ignorance.

Little wonder most of friends complain about their Honda tranny when mine is still in a good shape.

We learn everyday shaa.

Dialing Iyke........

Those Hondas do not have double clutches in their transmissions nor do they have Ford focus transmissions in them.
Billions of drivers around the world have driven their cars in traffic without putting it in neutral and it did not end up catastrophic for their transmissions.
If you really think about it, IT IS a poor design from Ford as well as a dangerous one.
Do you realize at a point with this system, your drive and brake will be disabled and your vehicle will roll either back or forward to wherever?
We are even talking about 5 min hold ups here in some cases. Look up cases on google and you will get an idea of how dangerous it will be to lose complete control of your car while driving, till you park for 10 minutes.

I'm an advocate of reading manuals of every appliance purchased but I would readily absolve anyone buying a vehicle in 2014 and not expecting it to overheat and disable if not placed in neutral or park while in a few mins of traffic. Anyhow................

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Brand New Ford Focus 2014 Transmission Overheating by sultaan(m): 9:31pm On Nov 12, 2014
nissparts:

Those Hondas do not have double clutches in their transmissions nor do they have Ford focus transmissions in them.
Billions of drivers around the world have driven their cars in traffic without putting it in neutral and it did not end up catastrophic for their transmissions.
If you really think about it, IT IS a poor design from Ford as well as a dangerous one.
Do you realize at a point with this system, your drive and brake will be disabled and your vehicle will roll either back or forward to wherever?
We are even talking about 5 min hold ups here in some cases. Look up cases on google and you will get an idea of how dangerous it will be to lose complete control of your car while driving, till you park for 10 minutes.
I'm an advocate of reading manuals of every appliance purchased but I would readily absolve anyone buying a vehicle in 2014 and not expecting it to overheat and disable if not placed in neutral or park while in a few mins of traffic. Anyhow................

If you read the link I posted the transmission in the Focus was noted as not having a temp sensor but just using an algorithm to warn that the clutch will overheat when you are riding it so you will then stop wait till is is cool. I believe a system that warns and help modify driving habits is better than a system than allows for failure without warning.according to that manual page after the light comes on it will shudder to give further warning then if necessary it will temporarily disengage to allow for system to cool down.I don't believe that is a wrong thing. For might just be ahead of the pack.Any new cat can malfunction if misused
Re: Brand New Ford Focus 2014 Transmission Overheating by Nobody: 6:08am On Nov 13, 2014
nissparts:

I'm with you and I'll go further.

It is criminal to have to read your manual to operate a 2014 vehicle. IMHO.

When I advice people not to buy Ford and but NissanHondaMazdaToyota they'll say I don wake come with my bandwagonism.
Re: Brand New Ford Focus 2014 Transmission Overheating by Kashif(m): 9:05am On Nov 13, 2014
CityNG:

When I advice people not to buy Ford and but NissanHondaMazdaToyota they'll say I don wake come with my bandwagonism.

Ha! Abeg, people should always read their manuals o. Given that it is their most recent model is the main reason the user should digest the user manual. You see, from torgue converter to twin dry clutch! undecided
Re: Brand New Ford Focus 2014 Transmission Overheating by Nobody: 4:27pm On Nov 13, 2014
Kashif:

Ha! Abeg, people should always read their manuals o. Given that it is their most recent model is the main reason the user should digest the user manual. You see, from torgue converter to twin dry clutch! undecided

You can beg all you want but I stand with my original comment.
Re: Brand New Ford Focus 2014 Transmission Overheating by sultaan(m): 4:35pm On Nov 13, 2014
CityNG:

CityNG don wake come with his bandwagonism

They say if you now want black people to know things just write it somewhere.

Since Nigerians now can leave their Raleigh bicycle and buy tokunbo car, they can say that the people who created the auto industry don't know how to make cars.

Can you tell our people where Toyota founder learnt the manufacturing principle to build the automobile.
Re: Brand New Ford Focus 2014 Transmission Overheating by nissparts(m): 5:31pm On Nov 13, 2014
http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=322030

http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=300884&highlight=overheating

Those threads above, for example, were not posted by Nigerians.....I dare say they were not even posted by black men.

See this facebook page dedicated to Ford Focus problems https://www.facebook.com/fordfocuslemonowners and read the posts to page comments on the left.

It's ABOUT page reads
"This site is a community for 2012, 2013, or 2014 Ford Focus owners, who, upon purchasing, have discovered a multitude of problems with their car including MyFordTouch, DCT transmission issues, suspension problems, etc."

How often do you see a Facebook page dedicated to the shittiness of a particular car?

I feel sorry for anyone driving a car allergic to traffic in this Lagos

2 Likes

Re: Brand New Ford Focus 2014 Transmission Overheating by Nobody: 6:29pm On Nov 13, 2014
sultaan:

CityNG don wake come with his bandwagonism

They say if you now want black people to know things just write it somewhere.

Since Nigerians now can leave their Raleigh bicycle and buy tokunbo car, they can say that the people who created the auto industry don't know how to make cars.

Can you tell our people where Toyota founder learnt the manufacturing principle to build the automobile.

It's ridiculous that you'll have to read a manual to drive a car.

What oil weight at what interval? Sure, but not how to drive a modern car.

Has nothing to do with a race and research.
Re: Brand New Ford Focus 2014 Transmission Overheating by sultaan(m): 10:01pm On Nov 13, 2014
CityNG:

It's ridiculous that you'll have to read a manual to drive a car.

What oil weight at what interval? Sure, but not how to drive a modern car.

Has nothing to do with a race and research.

Y'all know know now that when you still see a car as a moving piece of metal you getting old grin

It can now be defined as a mobility technology so it comes with a hundred page manual.

Sync and mft have inherent problem being a pilot technology bit everyone is doing it now.
Get rid of that Mitsubishi there is a new Mustang with your name one it
Re: Brand New Ford Focus 2014 Transmission Overheating by Nobody: 11:42pm On Nov 13, 2014
sultaan:

Y'all know know now that when you still see a car as a moving piece of metal you getting old grin

It can now be defined as a mobility technology so it comes with a hundred page manual.

Sync and mft have inherent problem being a pilot technology bit everyone is doing it now.
Get rid of that Mitsubishi there is a new Mustang with your name one it

I have nothing against Ford. In fact I wish I had disposable income for this.

Re: Brand New Ford Focus 2014 Transmission Overheating by Kashif(m): 9:48am On Nov 14, 2014
CityNG:

You can beg all you want but I stand with my original comment.

Where you stand is up to you. There are modern manual trans cars that you can only start their engines at full clutch. Why is that? Manual transmissins are known to select in different ways. Where will you find these info if not from your manual or someone tells you?

Do you go flying a Boeing 777 because you have a million miles under your belt flying 737, claiming that 777 is modern? No!

Not holding brief for Ford but, read your manual, you will always learn something new. They may have come up with a crappy transmission, but they have instructed you on how to use it. But no, 'they must be traditional or no deal'. Good luck!
Re: Brand New Ford Focus 2014 Transmission Overheating by Nobody: 11:49am On Nov 14, 2014
Kashif:

Where you stand is up to you. There are modern manual trans cars that you can only start their engines at full clutch. Why is that? Manual transmissins are known to select in different ways. Where will you find these info if not from your manual or someone tells you?

Do you go flying a Boeing 777 because you have a million miles under your belt flying 737, claiming that 777 is modern? No!

Not holding brief for Ford but, read your manual, you will always learn something new. They may have come up with a crappy transmission, but they have instructed you on how to use it. But no, 'they must be traditional or no deal'. Good luck!

Hogwash.

Your comparison of a modern car to a complex airliner is unsound.

Depressing your clutch in a manual is a safety feature and very common.

Having to learn how to drive a car in a particular is just another failure from Ford. This has nothing to do with reading a manual.

You should never have to read a manual for something as mundane as this.
Re: Brand New Ford Focus 2014 Transmission Overheating by Kashif(m): 4:16pm On Nov 14, 2014
CityNG:

Hogwash.
Your comparison of a modern car to a complex airliner is unsound.
Depressing your clutch in a manual is a safety feature and very common.
Having to learn how to drive a car in a particular is just another failure from Ford. This has nothing to do with reading a manual.
You should never have to read a manual for something as mundane as this.

Go tell it to the marines, Mr sound!
Re: Brand New Ford Focus 2014 Transmission Overheating by Nobody: 4:18pm On Nov 14, 2014
Kashif:

Go tell it to the marines, Mr sound!

Another ridiculous analogy Ms. Deaf.

What do the marines have to do with a subpar design from a manufacturer?
Re: Brand New Ford Focus 2014 Transmission Overheating by Kashif(m): 4:49pm On Nov 14, 2014
CityNG:

Another ridiculous analogy Ms. Deaf.

What do the marines have to do with a subpar design from a manufacturer?

Why would you resort to insult? If you cant connect my expression, it means your idiomatic grasp needs help. Again, go tell your idea of not reading manuals before operating 'familiar' machinery to the marines!

Dude, am done with you.
Re: Brand New Ford Focus 2014 Transmission Overheating by Export1: 6:11pm On Nov 14, 2014
Guys! It might be interetsteing!

Some Causes of Transmission Overheating

Heavy towing - Lots of heavy towing causes your transmission to overheat more easily, which is why maintenance is required sooner. The extra weight that the loads add to your car means your transmission has to work harder than normal just to get going.

Lots of stop and go traffic – Living in the city means there’s a lot of traffic, and constantly stepping on the brakes and accelerator causes your transmission to work harder than normal.

Hot climate - A hot climate contributes to an overheating transmission by raising the fluid temperature. This causes the ATF to wear out more quickly.
Re: Brand New Ford Focus 2014 Transmission Overheating by domack99(m): 6:49pm On Nov 14, 2014
There is no way I will be buying this, it's simply a poor design, just 5 minutes in traffic and you experience overheating. Putting a car in neutral in traffic should be a best practice, shouldn't be a sequence that if not follow would lead to failure.

1 Like

Re: Brand New Ford Focus 2014 Transmission Overheating by Nobody: 7:47pm On Nov 14, 2014
Kashif:

Why would you resort to insult? If you cant connect my expression, it means your idiomatic grasp needs help. Again, go tell your idea of not reading manuals before operating 'familiar' machinery to the marines!

Dude, am done with you.

Ah I see when the shoe turns on the other foot you cry fowl, you're a juvenile You called me Mr. Sound and I returned the favor.

I debate based on facts and I don't do emotions.

No need for any obtuse idiomatics, just simply state facts.

What do marines have to do with this debate I ask again?

(1) (2) (Reply)

Byton's M-byte Is The 1st Production Car To Have A Touchscreen On Steering Wheel / Camry Engine For My Freelander 1999 Model / Permit For Factory Tinted Glass?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 78
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.