Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,288 members, 7,807,979 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 12:59 AM

Does The Kind Of Hairstyle You Keep Define Who You Are? - Fashion (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Fashion / Does The Kind Of Hairstyle You Keep Define Who You Are? (37226 Views)

Ladies Checkout This Latest Cute And Sexy Hairstyle / Can Someone Explain This Hairstyle To Me (photo) / Would You Rock This Snake Type Of Hairstyle? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Does The Kind Of Hairstyle You Keep Define Who You Are? by ladycomfort(f): 7:29pm On Nov 12, 2014
I so much love the galax style guys now rock. I would love to see my man rockin dat style
Re: Does The Kind Of Hairstyle You Keep Define Who You Are? by touchmeder: 7:44pm On Nov 12, 2014
In school I had little or no money to spend on hair so I started keeping locs and I fell in love with it. After school I decided to keep it cos I was already too attached. I still have people who give me dt look until I open my mouth and start talking. Some try to preach afterwards while others mistake it for weavon. I still have my trusted wigs tho. I cant go to some places with d neatest locs ever! Na so.
Re: Does The Kind Of Hairstyle You Keep Define Who You Are? by JohnQueen(m): 7:57pm On Nov 12, 2014
Mehn me is suffering from same shii..
used to keep punk then Mohawk now Afro....family and some peeps be disturbing me about cutting it...some peeps like it though...me I no send Cos that's the style I like and suits me.
Re: Does The Kind Of Hairstyle You Keep Define Who You Are? by dhamstar(m): 8:13pm On Nov 12, 2014
Exactly Jor...

naijaboiy:
Thanks marieolae...

@Op...I would say you are not the only person experiencing this.

I like keeping my hair full and this started when I left secondary school because we were not allowed to grow our hair to any length. So I decided to keep it full and I like it.

Although most people say I look finer on low-cut but I tell them it's not because of being fine,,i'm just so attached to my hair. tongue

This could affect your studies or career in a way though. In my department,,i was fined for my full hair and I was told to reduce it,,although I didn't.

Apart from school,,my siblings and parents are cool with it.

Your hairstyle does not define your character,,but it can prevent you from many things. You can't carry dreadlocks to go for a job interview.

So you grow your hair according to the situation you find yourself in life tongue

1 Like

Re: Does The Kind Of Hairstyle You Keep Define Who You Are? by vanhelsing(m): 8:26pm On Nov 12, 2014
It's too much stress keeping an afro, maintenance and all. But hairstyles shouldn't define people, I let my hair grow once a while, hell I can spot any hairstyle and still look really good.
Re: Does The Kind Of Hairstyle You Keep Define Who You Are? by Graviton2(m): 9:11pm On Nov 12, 2014
Of course not, I had a full afro flat top ( A little like Korede Bello's) but I was forced by my mother to cut it - she said it made me look rugged.

I'm growing my hair again though, it is 4months long now and trust me, I won't cut it for a long time. Feel free to grow your hair how you want to, it is your hair anyway.

In other news, did you know that the Mr. Nairaland contest is ongoing and two promising contestants need your help to make it through to the next level. Vote Amefrica and Chrisviral! Your votes count!!

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Does The Kind Of Hairstyle You Keep Define Who You Are? by Nobody: 9:20pm On Nov 12, 2014
just imagine me an accountant carrying a mowhawk or galxy or afro to work in d banking sector...or even punk hair...my broda...na sack letter go hang for ur desk d next morning...barb ur hair accordibg to ur profession in life ..a doctor...lawyer...accountant...lecturer..etc..cant go with a mohawk hair or galaxy..etc...to and extent...ur style of hair defines who u are and ur profession in life...am an accountant and i go with low cut...not dreadlocks... thank you
Re: Does The Kind Of Hairstyle You Keep Define Who You Are? by mayim(m): 9:37pm On Nov 12, 2014
patrickdarlins:
just imagine me an accountant carrying a mowhawk or galxy or afro to work in d banking sector...or even punk hair...my broda...na sack letter go hang for ur desk d next morning...barb ur hair accordibg to ur profession in life ..a doctor...lawyer...accountant...lecturer..etc..cant go with a mohawk hair or galaxy..etc...to and extent...ur style of hair defines who u are and ur profession in life...am an accountant and i go with low cut...not dreadlocks... thank you
Well, I am a practicing accountant too in a multinational firm, I have always rocked afro since my university days, and I still do, in fact I wore afro to the interview that got me the job. So far it's clean and decent, many peeps won't have issues with it, at least the reasonable ones. I for one believe in modesty, keep your hair clean and tidy no matter the style ur wearing
Re: Does The Kind Of Hairstyle You Keep Define Who You Are? by mayor007(m): 9:46pm On Nov 12, 2014
I had to reduce my Mohawk recently 'cause of pressures from The Older Generation. My wife adores it but I don't understand why our parents seem to link one's physicality to sense of responsibility. Saying things like "You are now a father ooo".

Sometimes, I think they prefer you to be on lowcut but to be a very bad person. I am now on Punk and they dare not even say a word. Na so we just dey eye one another.

Re: Does The Kind Of Hairstyle You Keep Define Who You Are? by Nobody: 10:09pm On Nov 12, 2014
One's. Hairstyle does give a glimpse of his contents, it's just like telling a lady that her dressing has nothing to do with her mindset....I cut my hair low, when am feeling adventurous, I might keep a rough afro, but to braid, or keep. Mohawk is definitely not gonna happen....you might not be bad though, but you are most probably more adventurous.
Re: Does The Kind Of Hairstyle You Keep Define Who You Are? by spanzed(m): 10:43pm On Nov 12, 2014
Your hairstyle doesn't define who you are as for me I barb fade out not b'cos I wanna ''show'' but b'cos its fits Me....
Re: Does The Kind Of Hairstyle You Keep Define Who You Are? by jimohibrahim(m): 10:54pm On Nov 12, 2014
Diffdeef:
the thing is I'm even scared to have a lowcut I sure know I will get annoying comments from people like...omo guy u don change oo...*damn u looked more handsome wif grown hairs* u look like a joke now* *who did this to you?* etc lol I no barb again. cheesy

You took. The word right outta my mind...I look more cute and hans whenever my hair is fully grown(gallas or tall afro punk) but the day I lowered too much, you need to see complains like: o boy you no fine at all, why you low your hair na?, guy it doesn't look like you, you look better before..
I am not barbing my hair again, just full executive maintenance and trimming then I'm Good 2 Go.
Re: Does The Kind Of Hairstyle You Keep Define Who You Are? by Nobody: 11:28pm On Nov 12, 2014
The real question should be 'who cares'??
Re: Does The Kind Of Hairstyle You Keep Define Who You Are? by darne(m): 1:50am On Nov 13, 2014
LowCut G, anyday anytime,.....I used to rock some hairstyles before i changed back to lowcut again,,....

LowCut & I Might just change the looks wink wink wink

Soon cool
Re: Does The Kind Of Hairstyle You Keep Define Who You Are? by Nobody: 2:54am On Nov 13, 2014
Wavy and creamy...

Re: Does The Kind Of Hairstyle You Keep Define Who You Are? by InvertedHammer: 3:03am On Nov 13, 2014
/
You can wear any hairstyle u want if
a). You are wealthy
b). You work in an environment with minimal exposure to the public.
c). Your papa and mama still dey feed you.

Otherwise, like they say, first impression matters.

Your appearance can open doors or shut you out.

\
Re: Does The Kind Of Hairstyle You Keep Define Who You Are? by Nobody: 7:53am On Nov 13, 2014
coolvitus:
I think so becoz is how u ar insid dt u will like to look lik

hello
Re: Does The Kind Of Hairstyle You Keep Define Who You Are? by Nobody: 7:54am On Nov 13, 2014
ok
Re: Does The Kind Of Hairstyle You Keep Define Who You Are? by Nobody: 8:55am On Nov 13, 2014
I think i have succumbed to the pressure already. I remember when i grew my hair for close to two years, after adding relaxer, it grew even more. People started complaining and started reporting to my parents but i had already threatened my parents that the day that i am made to cut this hair against my will, will make me leave d house and wont be coming back. My bro, the day that i cut this hair, people started asking if i was suffering from AIDS. I looked so skinny and dry. After one week of shame and embarrassment, i had to go buy an head warmer. But after a while, i got used to low cut(doesnt mean i wont go back to my GALLAS if i have d chance) grin
Re: Does The Kind Of Hairstyle You Keep Define Who You Are? by kelvindim(m): 9:17am On Nov 13, 2014
BukkyDan:

You're kinda cute

#modified#
Wow! Just saw ur profile pic, u r really cute.

(Those were innocent compliments tho)
Awww, thanks dear. embarassedsmiley
Re: Does The Kind Of Hairstyle You Keep Define Who You Are? by smaddly(m): 9:52am On Nov 13, 2014
am still workin on makin my hair look morε счτε..i ιυν iτ ωεη fυιι....ενεη if υ doητ ιik me its ur problem>>As i fεει lik its a part of mε.
Re: Does The Kind Of Hairstyle You Keep Define Who You Are? by Nobody: 2:54pm On Nov 13, 2014
Onyiibazz:
I dont even know what to call my hairstyle, maybe some1 shud look it up on my profile and name it! I dont know weda it's afro or punk

A little bit of both grin cool

1 Like

Re: Does The Kind Of Hairstyle You Keep Define Who You Are? by Nobody: 2:55pm On Nov 13, 2014
AfricanApple:
lots of unnecessary things our society frowns at.

I so much like it when a guy grows his hair, just make it neat and tidy all d time.

That's cool
Re: Does The Kind Of Hairstyle You Keep Define Who You Are? by Nobody: 6:55pm On Nov 13, 2014
mayim:

Well, I am a practicing accountant too in a multinational firm, I have always rocked afro since my university days, and I still do, in fact I wore afro to the interview that got me the job. So far it's clean and decent, many peeps won't have issues with it, at least the reasonable ones. I for one believe in modesty, keep your hair clean and tidy no matter the style ur wearing
you are practicing accounting u said...ok...continue..na only you waka come b dat..
Re: Does The Kind Of Hairstyle You Keep Define Who You Are? by JuicyGee(f): 10:10am On Nov 14, 2014
Would you vote for a person on dread running for public office, maybe presidency, senator.... undecided
Re: Does The Kind Of Hairstyle You Keep Define Who You Are? by Nobody: 6:26am On Nov 24, 2014
I'd love to say my hair doesn't define me, but then again I'm so dang scared of changing it up, I couldn't tell you. I've never done a full-head color treatment for the odd fear that something would go terribly wrong (hair falling out) - only conservative 'streaks' of color or 'ombré' type stuff, and even then it's never directly on my head (roots), but towards the ends. I keep it long, and black for the most part.

I've wanted to cut it shorter to try a new look for soooo long, but I've yet to do anything past the occasional maintenance trim. There's this salon that knows me by name, but has yet to see my face for the sheer number of appointments I've bailed on embarassed It's pathetic.

I'm too much of a wimp myself, but I def love seeing diverse hairstyles and the different trends out there. It doesn't have to "define" who you are, but there are people out there who use hair to express themselves.
Re: Does The Kind Of Hairstyle You Keep Define Who You Are? by Precieuxpearl(f): 12:09pm On Dec 11, 2017
It has always said 4rm d beginning 'dress how u want to be address' it starts 4rm the crown of ur head to d sole of ur feet, dat z what makes u different.
*anoda thing z dat, people will always talk, do gud, people go talk, do bad, people go talk. so d best z do what z good nd ryt, do what makes u happy irrespective of people but hmmmm, sometimes, u got to adjust nd change.
Re: Does The Kind Of Hairstyle You Keep Define Who You Are? by Peacefullove: 12:52pm On Mar 01, 2020
cupidora:
To your question,my opinion is yes and no.
-Yes,the kinda hair one keeps defines him to an extent,your preferences,your style,your looks all come together to make up who you are. Choosing a particular hairstyle may not just be because you like it on someone or you like how it looks on you,it may go a long way in saying how you want to be addressed and who you want to be seen as and as a matter of fact what you what to achieve with that particular look,it then goes to say the kinda person you are because all these elements add up to a bigger picture,your personality. It's influenced by choice and so largely goes to say who u want to be seen as.
-No,you may just settle for a particular look for some circumstances you inevitably can't control,perhaps you're too busy to go to a salon often or you dnt even have the cash to keep trimming as often as u shd(trust me ppl can be dat broke) then the hair just grows 'n u decide to leave it full. It could be you don't have the resources to maintain dreads but u can atleast keep a low-cut. These now become the circumstances behind one's look and not necessarily out of choice.
Thus,considering we live in a society where people are judged by their looks and trivial actions by the youth is very well blown out of proportion by a majority of the older generation,whatever kind of look you choose to wear that is contrary to ordinary,flat and well other synonyms of such,you 'd be considered irresponsible and a willing tool of the 'bad guy' satan. Take for example my boyfriend ,a very responsible promising young man,he's been keeping full hair for as long as 15years now... He studied in Ghana,he comes back and decides to join the church choir,and the lady in charge says he has to go cut his hair and come back to show his level of seriousness... Oh well,'he never got serious'. So you see. I love nice hair,any look dats good on someone rocks for me wink

Am interested in this story, sorry ... Are you married to him now ?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

What Hairstyle Wud You Recommend For My Face Shape? / "I Am Happier In Bikinis": Yvonne Nwosu Shares Photos / Social Media Slay Queen Shows Off Her Makeup, And It’s On “fleek”! (photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.