Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,560 members, 7,801,578 topics. Date: Thursday, 18 April 2024 at 05:26 PM

Five Steps To Be A Good Mathematician - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Five Steps To Be A Good Mathematician (5668 Views)

Jamb Secrets: Five Steps To Preparing Adequately And Excel In Jamb / Photo: See How A Mathematician Proved 0 Divided By 0 Equals 2 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Five Steps To Be A Good Mathematician by Sheenor: 10:10pm On Nov 08, 2014
Here are some ways u can become better at mathematics.

1. Realize there’s nothing magic or special about mathematics.

Mathematics has a lot in common with cooking: applying “recipes” (algorithms) to cook up desired results. Math has a lot in common with sports and games: doing as much as you can while still following certain (sometimes arbitrary) “rules” to try and accomplish a goal. Math has a lot in common with exploring: discovering new things, even things you could never have imagined you’d find.

2. Stop associating mathematics with math teachers.

Many people are “traumatized” by poor math
teachers in the early grades of school. Actually, to be honest, it has to be tough for even a great math teacher to breath life into early grade school math. When the curriculum calls for learning how to do arithmetic by hand, that’s pretty lame. People don’t usually do arithmetic by hand in the real world, certainly not long division.

If you’re really interested in getting good with math, i suggest maybe starting with a secondary level pre-calculus book and teaching yourself. Try to find a book where the author treats you as the intelligent, independent person you are, not as someone who
has to take a course for a degree requirement. As a
general rule of thumb, any texts sold at an actual
university bookstore, at dis level, will be trash. Go to
the library and try some older pre-calculus textbooks. If the library is doing its job, trash textbooks won’t be kept for so many years. If all else fails, go to some math forums (like Math Overflow) and ask for book recommendations, telling them you want to become good at math and not just pass a required course; give them specific details and they can help find a book perfect for you.
Contrary to public belief, math textbooks aren’t written in some dialect of Ancient Latin which can only be read by the priestly class of mathematicians. At least, not until grad school A common mistake is to start with “History of Mathematics” books, allegedly aimed for d layman. If u do have some math background, these might be good, but if you’re starting frm absolute scratch, you’ll need at least some good pre-calculus to really get much out of a Math History book.

3. Mental shift: From “Problems” to “Exercises” Unfortunately, most people, including mathematicians, have a bad habit of calling things “problems” when they’re not really problems at all. Most people have to study math for a long time before they can tackle actual mathematical “problems”. The word “problem” implies that no one actually knows the solution. If the solution is known, as is always the case in the exercises in lower level math texts, then it’s not a “problem”, it’s an “exercise”. Calling it a “problem” is like a weightlifter calling a dumbbell a “problem”. Ridiculous. The exercises are there for you to get stronger. Anyway, it’s a lot sexier and more motivating to think about doing exercises, than to think about doing problems.

4. Know That Math Is Cool: It may seem surprising, but who do u tink is mst sensitive 2 social stigmas against science and mathematics? The answer is, scientists and mathematicians. For many years, I was actually “ashamed” of studying math. When someone asked what I did, I’d try to change the subject as soon as possible. I realized it’s better to be unapologetic about •̸ϞƔ interests. I stopped being ashamed of math and decided to be proud of it, and it turns out, once I made that mental shift, it became pure bling.

I think a lot of people are hindered from ever getting good at math because they think math is uncool. Reject that idea, and become better at math.

5. Believe You’re Good At Math: Whether or not the arbiters of society declare you Good At Math, hold the belief in your heart. Catholics believe that their priest can literally feed them the physical blood and flesh of Jesus Christ, so by comparison, it should be pretty easy to believe in something as mundane as being good at math. The thing is, belief becomes reality. I experienced this in my own life, because until SS2, I did terrible in math classes, hated math (or at least, what I knew of math, which was just mind-numbing arithmetic), and generally believed I was terrible at math. The way I got into math was actually pretty silly. I was going through a phase where I was interested in psychic power development. Of course I never developed psychic powers, but I got seduced by the D&grin-ish stereotype of psionicists being extremely smart, Ά̲̣̥πϑ so that led me to start looking at the pictures in Euclid’s Elements. Mostly I didn’t understand them, but I struck out to do geometry on my own, kind of copying the general idea of following axioms Ά̲̣̥πϑ drawing lots of neat pictures with compass and ruler. Dat made me believe I was a mathematical genius, and by ninth grade everyone was pretty much going along with the “fantasy”

CONCLUSION

One thing i never mentioned in dis article: doing lots of hard studying. Follow the five steps I gave, and the studying should become a joy, something you actually like doing, so it doesn’t seem hard at all. In any case, math is something u should do at уσυя own pace, and this is partly why self-taught math is so much more powerful than school-taught math. If you ever find yourself fed up with doing math exercises, you’re not studying math right. Like anything else, you’ll learn best when you’re having fun. Take your time, skip around to whatever extent the textbook allows, and have some fun.

4 Likes

Re: Five Steps To Be A Good Mathematician by philtrum(m): 10:32pm On Nov 08, 2014
Its actually a good topic op.....And these are the main issues with people who do not like maths
Re: Five Steps To Be A Good Mathematician by Sheenor: 10:53pm On Nov 08, 2014
philtrum:
Its actually a good topic op.....And these are the main issues with people who do not like maths

If only they can believe they are good at maths and
focus properly...it won't be hard ƒoŗ them as dey all thought.
Re: Five Steps To Be A Good Mathematician by JigsawKillah(m): 12:11am On Nov 09, 2014
me and maths no dey rapport at all at all.
but I was see am from your point of view now sha
although I done try am before but jus that no pre-calculus textbook to back am up
Re: Five Steps To Be A Good Mathematician by fr3do(m): 5:01am On Nov 09, 2014
Op, what is the integral of (sinX)^2
Re: Five Steps To Be A Good Mathematician by fr3do(m): 5:04am On Nov 09, 2014
X + X^3/3! + X^5/5! + X^7/7! + ...

Op, what function is this?
Re: Five Steps To Be A Good Mathematician by Sheenor: 6:05am On Nov 09, 2014
^
The next qųęşţįoŋ will b find d equation of d line tangent to the ellipse b^2*x^2 + a^2*y^2 = a^2*b^2 in the first quadrant that forms wit the coordinate axes the triangle of smallest possible area (a & b are positive constants). abi nairaland maths teacher ni
Re: Five Steps To Be A Good Mathematician by Skykid1208(m): 6:56am On Nov 09, 2014
Thanks OP
In sec school i use to hate maths like Poooo!
Loved biology like life itself.
I wrote my SSCE exams in 2013, late last year i fell in love with Software programing and to study software programing or Comp science you need the knowledge of maths,
i wrote jamb this year, although i wanted to study com.sci, my dad wants me to study MED, so i opted for med (partly because my dad wanted me to and parly because i am good in biology) after jamb i got 206 then i wrote post-UME but my mark was a litle bit lower than the cut-off mark for MED but higher than the cut-off for COMP.SCI. So am in the process of changing my course to computer science now, (although my dad was upset at first,so i explained to him that i love programing or anything that is related to Comp Sci. And that it's my life and that's what i want to study, he later gave in to my plea) And in the school am aplying for Com. Sci you must sudy Mathematics for two years before Going to com.sci. In Year 3.
Am in the process of falling in love with maths and this your wite-up realy gave it a BOOST. (sometimes when i sit down and think of my sec.school. days wouldn't belive am the one chosing to study maths, i realy don't belive it cos i hated maths like backluck then)

Thanks OP once again.

Mods,FP pls
this was quite helpful to me and am sure alot of people out there are like me who neededs the info.

#TEAMLOVEMATHS

1 Like

Re: Five Steps To Be A Good Mathematician by PROCTOR: 8:02am On Nov 09, 2014
Me when i've got no idea about how to solve a question during test

Re: Five Steps To Be A Good Mathematician by kbshow100(m): 9:42am On Nov 09, 2014
@op. There is nothing you will tell me to change my mind to the fact that I hate maths. I hate maths,, I hate those who love mathematics,, till Adam vomit the forbidden fruit before I will consider loving mathematics,,may god punish maths departmanet staffs from H.O.D down to cleaners.
But I like your write up,, I mean no offence.
Re: Five Steps To Be A Good Mathematician by major466(m): 9:58am On Nov 09, 2014
Maths is very interesting Subject. It develops the human brain and helps you become a good thinker. Problem is Math Teachers with Bony Face makes it look harder than it really is.

1 Like

Re: Five Steps To Be A Good Mathematician by Sheenor: 10:53am On Nov 09, 2014
Skykid1208:
Thanks OP
In sec school i use to hate maths like Poooo!
Loved biology like life itself.
I wrote my SSCE exams in 2013, late last year i fell in love with Software programing and to study software programing or Comp science you need the knowledge of maths,
i wrote jamb this year, although i wanted to study com.sci, my dad wants me to study MED, so i opted for med (partly because my dad wanted me to and parly because i am good in biology) after jamb i got 206 then i wrote post-UME but my mark was a litle bit lower than the cut-off mark for MED but higher than the cut-off for COMP.SCI. So am in the process of changing my course to computer science now, (although my dad was upset at first,so i explained to him that i love programing or anything that is related to Comp Sci. And that it's my life and that's what i want to study, he later gave in to my plea) And in the school am aplying for Com. Sci you must sudy Mathematics for two years before Going to com.sci. In Year 3.
Am in the process of falling in love with maths and this your wite-up realy gave it a BOOST. (sometimes when i sit down and think of my sec.school. days wouldn't belive am the one chosing to study maths, i realy don't belive it cos i hated maths like backluck then)

Thanks OP once again.

Mods,FP pls
this was quite helpful to me and am sure alot of people out there are like me who neededs the info.

#TEAMLOVEMATHS

ℓ☺ℓ, nice one bro.......all the best ahead...Ά̲̣̥πϑ ⌣̊┈̥-̶̯͡»̶̥♡thanks ⌣̊┈̥-̶̯͡»̶̥  a bunch.
Re: Five Steps To Be A Good Mathematician by Sheenor: 10:56am On Nov 09, 2014
kbshow100:
@op. There is nothing you will tell me to change my mind to the fact that I hate maths. I hate maths,, I hate those who love mathematics,, till Adam vomit the forbidden fruit before I will consider loving mathematics,,may god punish maths departmanet staffs from H.O.D down to cleaners.
funny post of the day ~.•°``°☺нєнєнєнє☺°``°•.~
Re: Five Steps To Be A Good Mathematician by Extom(m): 11:05am On Nov 09, 2014
Na lie!!!
There's nothing you can say to make me love mathematics. In school, I was asked to do magic when I wasn't a magician, only for me to discover that you don't need these numerous formulas and equations in the labour market.
For me, it's farewell to mathematics, for good.

Re: Five Steps To Be A Good Mathematician by Smartsyn(m): 11:28am On Nov 09, 2014
It's easier said than done...

Never learn simple arithemetic finish and you're talking about pre-calculus..

I ve other cross to carry, don't want to add more, am not Jesus Christ..
Re: Five Steps To Be A Good Mathematician by Nobody: 11:40am On Nov 09, 2014
Maths is my best subject. Because I was homeschooled,I found it hard to believe when a friend told me he hated maths. He said it with so much pride. I thought he should have been ashamed for not being good in maths. Getting to know more people I have now seen that 1 in about every 50 or more people has maths as their best subject. Its so shameful.
Ayamlaykorn
Re: Five Steps To Be A Good Mathematician by JigsawKillah(m): 12:02pm On Nov 09, 2014
laykorn:
Maths is my best subject. Because I was homeschooled,I found it hard to believe when a friend told me he hated maths. He said it with so much pride. I thought he should have been ashamed for not being good in maths. Getting to know more people I have now seen that 1 in about every 50 or more people has maths as their best subject. Its so shameful.
Ayamlaykorn

no b person fault biko
na only for maths dem dey tell u say make u go find wetin u nor keep
Re: Five Steps To Be A Good Mathematician by StealthyMe(m): 12:07pm On Nov 09, 2014
JigsawKillah:

no b person fault biko

#Gbam! lol... grin

I just tire,nor be yesterday ah find x finish...today again e don disappear undecided
Re: Five Steps To Be A Good Mathematician by JigsawKillah(m): 12:15pm On Nov 09, 2014
StealthyMe:

#Gbam! lol... grin

I just tire,nor be yesterday ah find x finish...today again e don disappear undecided

x na wakajugbe
na so so lost e dey lost
I dey find am like 10 times I every day
I weak once
Re: Five Steps To Be A Good Mathematician by StealthyMe(m): 12:23pm On Nov 09, 2014
JigsawKillah:

x na wakajugbe
na so so lost e dey lost
I dey find am like 10 times I every day
I weak once

lwkmd...na to find strong men make dem lock x up ooo cheesy
Re: Five Steps To Be A Good Mathematician by Nobody: 12:27pm On Nov 09, 2014
JigsawKillah:

no b person fault biko
Lol you don see scores?
Ayamlaykorn
Re: Five Steps To Be A Good Mathematician by JigsawKillah(m): 12:32pm On Nov 09, 2014
laykorn:

Lol you don see scores?
Ayamlaykorn

yes o
I dey fear o
Re: Five Steps To Be A Good Mathematician by JigsawKillah(m): 12:34pm On Nov 09, 2014
StealthyMe:

lwkmd...na to find strong men make dem lock x up ooo cheesy

that one sef dey
Mark Henry and Big Show go siddon on top Am

1 Like

Re: Five Steps To Be A Good Mathematician by Nobody: 12:38pm On Nov 09, 2014
JigsawKillah:

yes o
I dey fear o
Na me suppose fear oo. Your own na GANGSTA!
Ayamlaykorn
Re: Five Steps To Be A Good Mathematician by agentofchange1(m): 12:40pm On Nov 09, 2014
fr3do:
X + X^3/3! + X^5/5! + X^7/7! + ...

Op, what function is this?
the nth term = x^(2n-1) /(2n-1) !

you what function is this ?

1-x-x^2 -x^3 - . . .
Re: Five Steps To Be A Good Mathematician by JigsawKillah(m): 12:57pm On Nov 09, 2014
laykorn:

Na me suppose fear oo. Your own na GANGSTA!
Ayamlaykorn

which kind gangsta?

abeg o
nothing gangsterish there
Re: Five Steps To Be A Good Mathematician by Nobody: 12:59pm On Nov 09, 2014
JigsawKillah:

which kind gangsta?

abeg o
nothing gangsterish there
Literary gangsta na
Re: Five Steps To Be A Good Mathematician by JigsawKillah(m): 1:08pm On Nov 09, 2014
laykorn:

Literary gangsta na

who dey tell u that one sef?
Re: Five Steps To Be A Good Mathematician by Nobody: 1:19pm On Nov 09, 2014
JigsawKillah:

who dey tell u that one sef?
Congrats brother.
Ayamlaykorn
Re: Five Steps To Be A Good Mathematician by PROCTOR: 1:20pm On Nov 09, 2014
kbshow100:

please don't hate ANYTHING based on your inability to have it.And don't have any resentment towards those who do
i also don't know it but i LOVE it and i respect those with the knowledge
Re: Five Steps To Be A Good Mathematician by fr3do(m): 1:53pm On Nov 09, 2014
Sheenor:
^
The next qųęşţįoŋ will b find d equation of d line tangent to the ellipse b^2*x^2 + a^2*y^2 = a^2*b^2 in the first quadrant that forms wit the coordinate axes the triangle of smallest possible area (a & b are positive constants). abi nairaland maths teacher ni

U dey fear to fail am?

(1) (2) (Reply)

Court Orders LASPOTECH To Reopen / Photo Of The Day: Give This Pics A Title / Whatsapp User Murder And Sends English To Its Early Grave (photo)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.