Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,846 members, 7,802,707 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 07:33 PM

UNIMAID Student: Spent 3 Horrible Years In Military Detention As A BH Suspect - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / UNIMAID Student: Spent 3 Horrible Years In Military Detention As A BH Suspect (24568 Views)

Dokpesi Returns To Detention As Court Defers Bail Ruling / Tension In Military As Buhari Demands Records Of Weapons Procurement / [picture] Buhari And GEJ Dress Up In Military Attire To Salute Nigerians (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: UNIMAID Student: Spent 3 Horrible Years In Military Detention As A BH Suspect by IAMGEJ(m): 1:28pm On Nov 16, 2014
If you are talking about Afghanistan, we know the US don't like those people, but here in Nigeria, we are talking about our own citizen, Have you ever ask yourself, how can you have 150 suspect on a single crime? All they can do, is torture hell out of those innocent people, Should I call that as un-professionalism or what, Brother, boko guys are more organize and brilliant than our low I.Q force men. I think that is why they are winning.
venivedivici:

Dude, na US soldiers wey no dey violate human rights? Forget all this Western propaganda. The US army did worse things in Afghanistan. They did worse to Guantanamo detainees too.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: UNIMAID Student: Spent 3 Horrible Years In Military Detention As A BH Suspect by Yinkagbo(m): 1:28pm On Nov 16, 2014
MacluvPH:
Youngman,forget this horrible excuses if you don't have questionable character they wouldn't ve picked you up.why out of many thousand students in that school its only you that they picked.please is there something you aren't telling us?Anyway sorry though.trying to prove a point.

in this crazy world wi live,many tins are happening that are unbelievable.....
Re: UNIMAID Student: Spent 3 Horrible Years In Military Detention As A BH Suspect by LordMecuzy(m): 1:29pm On Nov 16, 2014
Olaskybab:
Eeeeh..... Tank God I see land 4 here sha.....tank God oooo

Now 2 d topic........

Pls bear wit me

Brb

Are u Okay?

2 Likes

Re: UNIMAID Student: Spent 3 Horrible Years In Military Detention As A BH Suspect by obiak4(m): 1:32pm On Nov 16, 2014
koikoi2:
Is he a Christian or a Moslem? If a Christian then God will fight for him but if a Moslem, then he's a potential terrorist.
u talk like a kid IF HE IS A MOSLEM HE IS A POTENTIAL TERRORIST, pls dude u hv to change ur mind set ooo my 2kobo advice to you,not all muslims are terrorist emancipate urself frm hate

2 Likes

Re: UNIMAID Student: Spent 3 Horrible Years In Military Detention As A BH Suspect by venivedivici(m): 1:32pm On Nov 16, 2014
Frankenstein:
Not necessarily true. He might have been spotted at the wrong place at the wrong time.

Same thing happened after 9/11 in the US. Many innocent people were detained.

Our military cannot be without flaws but they really need to step up their game and employ modern techniques of combating terrorism. The detain and torture procedure is so 2001.

What's your definition of 'spotted at the wrong place at the wrong time'? The closest one can get to that is probably being at the scene of a bomb blast. Yes, innocents have been arrested this way, but if you followed the thread you'd have read that he was arrested in his house, and it sure as hell wasn't a wrong place to be. The most plausible reason (if so) is that he was set up by an informant.
I agree that our intelligence and investigative operations are backwards, but what happens in the meantime? Wait till we shore things up in that aspect? Why our friends take over the country?

1 Like

Re: UNIMAID Student: Spent 3 Horrible Years In Military Detention As A BH Suspect by henry102: 1:33pm On Nov 16, 2014
he he
ashson:
UNIMAID Student Narrate How He Spent Three Horrible Years in Military Detention as a Boko Haram Suspect.

Alisu Adamu, a 3rd year chemistry student at the
University of Maiduguri, has described himself as
among thousands of innocent Nigerians illegally
arrested, detained and tortured for more than
three years by Nigeria’s military as part of the
countermeasures against Islamist Boko Haram
militants who have waged a five-year war in
Nigeria’s northeast zone.

Mr. Adamu, who hails from Biu local government
area of Borno state, said he and other detainees
were seized by the military from the Borno State
capital of Maiduguri as well as surrounding towns
plagued by Islamist insurgency. Boko Haram,
which has declared western education as
abominable, has waged a bloody fight in the
northeast in a bid to establish an Islamic state in
Nigeria.

Apart spending more than three years in
detention, Mr. Adamu became one of 39 indigenes
of Borno State and three foreigners who were
handed over to the Borno State government last
Thursday after thorough investigation by the
military revealed that they had no links to Boko
Haram.

In an exclusive interview with Sahara Reporters just after his release, Mr.
Adamu narrated his experiences. Excerpts below:
I was arrested in my house in Wulari Street in
Maiduguri. I can still remember vividly that it was
16th April 2011. I had come back from school and
had my dinner. I was sleeping when I heard a
knock on my door around 9 p.m. I asked who was
at the door. Some people said, “Open the door!”
When I opened it, I saw them [the military]. I
wondered what had happened. Then they said I
should not worry, I should come with them, that it
was just questions and answers. I said ok, no
problem! They took me to 21 Armored Brigade
(Giwa Barracks). So I was there for more than
three years.

While I was in detention there, I saw many people
pass away. For me, it sometimes seemed that it
was the end of my life but I kept praying for God’s
mercy to fall upon me.

I never knew that there would be a day like this
where I would be free. I saw hell.
I feel so happy and excited. Today is the happiest
day in my life. After such a long period of time in
military detention, you should know what one
would have undergone. I saw hell, but to be
candid I also consider myself the luckiest person
because many died.

I recall March 14th of March this year when Boko
Haram attacked Giwa Barracks. It was around 6:45
a.m. We went out to bathe and started hearing
gunshots. After our baths, we returned to the cell.
We felt it was the kind of normal testing that the
military usually does, but the gunshots became
unbearable. So I heard loud deadly weapons. We
didn’t know what to do and to say, but we started
praying that God should save us. However, the
next thing we heard was “Allahu Akbar!” meaning,
“God is Great!” So they [Boko Haram] came and
opened the cells and freed everyone, but about
eight of us managed to hide ourselves in the
kitchen. That was how we could escape Boko
Haram.

Looking back to my experiences in detention for
three-and-and-a-half years, I lack words to
describe what happened. My eyes saw things and I
went through an unbearable situation, but I thank
God that I am finally free.

The next step for me is how to go back to the
University and finish my education because I was
in 300 levels when this happened.

Source: www.alariwo.net/?p=7061
Re: UNIMAID Student: Spent 3 Horrible Years In Military Detention As A BH Suspect by tolustx(m): 1:38pm On Nov 16, 2014
It's a very pathetic story really but that's how it's gonna be because compensation is not realistic. We're talking abt 39 ppl here and probly more are still lyk dat.
What I believe however, is dat dr mst be a kinda link to dos who NA official arrested or are arresting. This is calling on everyone, youths especially to be moderate in our looks. I'm not accusing d guy for this, but jst a general advice. We shud not appear in a way dat suggests dat we are criminals or suspects. Whichever. Many ve in d name of 'big boy and peer pressure, landed demselves in police custody or prison. Who can we blame?
I rest my case.
Congratulations to dis guy once more and I wish him luck in lyf.
Re: UNIMAID Student: Spent 3 Horrible Years In Military Detention As A BH Suspect by venivedivici(m): 1:38pm On Nov 16, 2014
IAMGEJ:
If you are talking about Afghanistan, we know the US don't like those people, but here in Nigeria, we are talking about our own citizen, Have you ever ask yourself, how can you have 150 suspect on a single crime? All they can do, is torture hell out of those innocent people, Should I call that as un-professionalism or what, Brother, boko guys are more organize and brilliant than our low I.Q force men. I think that is why they are winning.

True talk man, but my emphasis was on the fact that the US have no right to say that our soldiers are involved in human rights violations because they are guilty of having done same.
Again, I concede that our intelligence gathering level is pitiable, but what do we do in the meantime? In the theatre of war, everyone is guilty until proven innocent.
Re: UNIMAID Student: Spent 3 Horrible Years In Military Detention As A BH Suspect by Abba999(f): 1:39pm On Nov 16, 2014
MacluvPH:
Youngman,forget this horrible excuses if you don't have questionable character they wouldn't ve picked you up.why out of many thousand students in that school its only you that they picked.please is there something you aren't telling us?Anyway sorry though.trying to prove a point.

No! Please my beloved don't you ever judge to say such!!

Beware of what you wish nor say against others... for it may befall you in return.

Fate is real - or haven't you heard of mistaken identity. If you had not heard that, go to kirikiri prison and ask the prisoners in there.

Nigeria is a zoo located in a jungle wilderness where anything can happen cry

3 Likes

Re: UNIMAID Student: Spent 3 Horrible Years In Military Detention As A BH Suspect by MadCow1: 1:41pm On Nov 16, 2014
It took the military 3 years to investigate suspects?

Wow...

1 Like

Re: UNIMAID Student: Spent 3 Horrible Years In Military Detention As A BH Suspect by caniva(m): 1:42pm On Nov 16, 2014
Eeyah! Pls go back to school, but dis time, don't read Chemistry. just go for GEOGRAPHY, now that u've seen many places. goodluck
Re: UNIMAID Student: Spent 3 Horrible Years In Military Detention As A BH Suspect by mccash(m): 1:44pm On Nov 16, 2014
Am speechless but God knows why he allow it to happen may u might have been killed by now so he use that way to save u more thanks to God for u are a living testimony if u investigate well u will found that so many people u know as been killed welcome back
Re: UNIMAID Student: Spent 3 Horrible Years In Military Detention As A BH Suspect by poseidon12: 1:45pm On Nov 16, 2014
venivedivici:

Dude, na US soldiers wey no dey violate human rights? Forget all this Western propaganda. The US army did worse things in Afghanistan. They did worse to Guantanamo detainees too.

Hold on there! What the Americans did in Afghanistan was not against American citizens. The US military does not mistreat American citizens. But the Nigerian military brutalizes Nigerian citizens with impunity. We need a president that would put the military in its place in Nigeria. We do not have a professional army.

4 Likes

Re: UNIMAID Student: Spent 3 Horrible Years In Military Detention As A BH Suspect by Abba999(f): 1:45pm On Nov 16, 2014
amaechionuh:
Fake news, BH came and open ur cell and freed people but u and 8 others hide in the kitchen... Who is deceiving who here?

My beloved, the young man is telling the truth.

Long before now, I read this story on news... even here in Nairaland it was discussed, how Boko haram invaded the barracks and flee detainees, but some refused to escape. cry

1 Like

Re: UNIMAID Student: Spent 3 Horrible Years In Military Detention As A BH Suspect by eleko1: 1:45pm On Nov 16, 2014
There's reason for ur predicament,I believe GOD miaculously use dat cell to save U from untimely death.Forget the past and move on.Above all,I say,THANK U JESUS for U safety/divine protection.
Re: UNIMAID Student: Spent 3 Horrible Years In Military Detention As A BH Suspect by texazzpete(m): 1:49pm On Nov 16, 2014
venivedivici:

Neega, this sheet ain't Hollywood. This is real life.

if the person testifying up there was your brother, and not a random UNIMAID student...would you have the same reaction?

1 Like

Re: UNIMAID Student: Spent 3 Horrible Years In Military Detention As A BH Suspect by holatin(m): 1:49pm On Nov 16, 2014
na civilian dey fit act on, if na boko haram na relay race. smh
Re: UNIMAID Student: Spent 3 Horrible Years In Military Detention As A BH Suspect by Nobody: 1:51pm On Nov 16, 2014
Nigerian Military or Police intelligence are awful and unprofessional.

I had similar ordeal while in my 200 level in uniport.

After several heated lectures on that cracked ground at the popular convocation arena. I had to go home to cool off for my test which was scheduled to hold 4pm.

As a usual hunter, I came back home with a chic who had been on my neck for several weeks lol. I stayed at the famous Aluu. I entered the bathroom to shower, so I can cool off for the usual "knacking". Just about to rest my head, I heard a knock on my door. I went to the gate only to find my neighbor on handcuff with 8 armed police men. I was shocked and suprised at their behaviour pointing the rifle at me that I should walk to my room for a search which I obliged without question.

After the search all they could find is my usual pack of Durex latex and some pack of cigarette. I summed up courage and asked the men what's really happening, their response wasn't satisfactory that I would know my offense when I get to the station.

Getting out of the main gate, to my amazement four of my neighbors are already doing frog jump on handcuffs (what the hell). Later found out they were on codeine and Indian hemp ish.

We moved with them in their usual pick up van and when we got to the divisional headquarters rumuokoro station, they ordered we UnCloth and remain on boxers and submit all our materials. The corporal matched us to the cell where the cell mate were all rugged and criminal looking monster.

The cell mates slapped the hell out of me and was asked to pull my boxers in exchanged for theirs (the most disgusting experience of my life). I pulled mine and never collected his, I was naked throughout my stay.

Shortly after the person in charge of our case came came in, we were taken out of the cell to write statement and when I checked "Murder of Chike Orji". I called the coporal and asked him to explain the heading. He didn't even answer me. Long and short I didn't write anything. I was taken back to the cell.

I was dehumanized by my cell mates. They asked I scoop the long over due urine and excreta ( I almost died doing this).

The next day, the news already spread round the school and got to the ears of my very good friends and they came with the then SUG president Barinem and we were all released.

We got out and found out the reason for the irresponsible arrest was cos a messin was killed at a closeby uncompleted building.

If the irresponsible police had given us hint, we would have been of great help rather than label us killer.

The guy would have been killed by the community boys as the owner of the building had refused paying the usual "matching ground" money.

4 Likes

Re: UNIMAID Student: Spent 3 Horrible Years In Military Detention As A BH Suspect by IAMGEJ(m): 1:51pm On Nov 16, 2014
We all know the US has been more concern in other countries than itself, I think it's because we consider them as the so called 'world power' Though they don't have the right, but I think something that is wrong is wrong, this force men need some training, more on 'respect for human right' Consider this, in the US, If a policeman caught someone in a robbery scene with a gun and shot at him, do you know that police will be going to jail? Think about that in the Nigeria scenario. LOL

Happy sunday jare, cheesy
venivedivici:

True talk man, but my emphasis was on the fact that the US have no right to say that our soldiers are involved in human rights violations because they are guilty of having done same.
Again, I concede that our intelligence gathering level is pitiable, but what do we do in the meantime? In the theatre of war, everyone is guilty until proven innocent.
Re: UNIMAID Student: Spent 3 Horrible Years In Military Detention As A BH Suspect by Icecomrade: 1:52pm On Nov 16, 2014
WELCOME BACK

THE GOOD NEWS IS THAT U ONLY LOST 2YEARS OR 1 and half . ASUU STRIKE AND BH UNREST STALLED ACADEMIC WORKS. ALMOST THE ENTIRE PERIOD @ UNI MAID

I WONT BE SUPRISED IF THE COURSEMATES U LEFT IN 300 LEVEL 3YEARS AGO JUST GRADUATED.
Re: UNIMAID Student: Spent 3 Horrible Years In Military Detention As A BH Suspect by Ybholy(m): 1:55pm On Nov 16, 2014
¤ [[emoji2a]] - [[emoji2m]] [[emoji2u]] [[emoji2s]] [[emoji2t]] - [[emoji2r]] [[emoji2e]] [[emoji2a]] [[emoji2d]] ¤
Glo 300GB Cheat For One Year is Out Now!

Glo Unlimited November Cheat is here again. Dont miss this one out if you are still in Nigeria.

● Think of browsing TDB (Till Day Break).

● Think of chatting with her till eternity .

● Think of sending her unlimited whatsapp messages all the year round.

● What else will you think of with it :- Streaming ? Uploading Youtube Videos ? Sending Images To her ? Posting on Your Website ?
Lols !

Get The Activation Code Now - http://.com/2014/11/16/glo-300gb-cheat-one-year-now-dont-miss/
Re: UNIMAID Student: Spent 3 Horrible Years In Military Detention As A BH Suspect by Afritop(m): 1:59pm On Nov 16, 2014
And someone in the nigerian government will be blaming the US govt for their refusal to sell cobra helecopters and weaponry to finish boko haram when it was made clear by the US govt that there are evidences of human right violations perpetrated by the military

1 Like

Re: UNIMAID Student: Spent 3 Horrible Years In Military Detention As A BH Suspect by venivedivici(m): 2:00pm On Nov 16, 2014
IAMGEJ:
We all know the US has been more concern in other countries than itself, I think it's because we consider them as the so called 'world power' Though they don't have the right, but I think something that is wrong is wrong, this force men need some training, more on 'respect for human right' Consider this, in the US, If a policeman caught someone in a robbery scene with a gun and shot at him, do you know that police will be going to jail? Think about that in the Nigeria scenario. LOL

Happy sunday jare, cheesy

Not all the time. A case might be made if the suspect was not in the act of firing the gun. America is where the law is really a donkey. And again, it still boils down to the suspect's colour or race.
Happy Sunday to thee too, man.
Re: UNIMAID Student: Spent 3 Horrible Years In Military Detention As A BH Suspect by lacasera14(m): 2:02pm On Nov 16, 2014
The guy looks Like a boko haram member. no wonder..
Re: UNIMAID Student: Spent 3 Horrible Years In Military Detention As A BH Suspect by venivedivici(m): 2:02pm On Nov 16, 2014
texazzpete:

if the person testifying up there was your brother, and not a random UNIMAID student...would you have the same reaction?

Guy, you just can't conjecture like that. Do you know if I'm speaking from personal experience, being once a 'random' Unimaidite myself?
Re: UNIMAID Student: Spent 3 Horrible Years In Military Detention As A BH Suspect by donmalcolm21(m): 2:02pm On Nov 16, 2014
I've read your interview with BH spokemen I.e SR, I need to hear from the army before I will comment but note that in every conflict there is collateral damage.
Re: UNIMAID Student: Spent 3 Horrible Years In Military Detention As A BH Suspect by venivedivici(m): 2:15pm On Nov 16, 2014
poseidon12:

Hold on there! What the Americans did in Afghanistan was not against American citizens. The US military does not mistreat American citizens. But the Nigerian military brutalizes Nigerian citizens with impunity. We need a president that would put the military in its place in Nigeria. We do not have a professional army.

Bro, aside from the fact that human rights violations is what it is irrespective of nationality or citizenry, do you think the US gives a flying fork whether these violations are done to Nigerian or Nigerien or Chadian citizens? The US police doesn't violate the rights of black and Arab suspects and detainees? What have you been watching, bro? The army isn't up to standard (far from it even), but they are making the most of what they have, or don't have as the case may be.
And no, we need a president who will undo what previous presidents have done, viz. not upgrading our weapons, and failing to pay attention to intelligence.
I should also add as an afterthought that any basis of comparison between the US and Nigeria, on whatsoever grounds, is inherently unjust.
Re: UNIMAID Student: Spent 3 Horrible Years In Military Detention As A BH Suspect by Ybholy(m): 2:16pm On Nov 16, 2014
Glo 300GB Cheat For One Year is Out Now!

Glo Unlimited November Cheat is here again. Dont miss this one out if you are still in Nigeria.

● Think of browsing TDB (Till Day Break).

● Think of chatting with her till eternity .

● Think of sending her unlimited whatsapp messages all the year round.

● What else will you think of with it :- Streaming ? Uploading Youtube Videos ? Sending Images To her ? Posting on Your Website ?
Lols !

Get The Activation Code Now - http://.com/2014/11/16/glo-300gb-cheat-one-year-now-dont-miss/
Re: UNIMAID Student: Spent 3 Horrible Years In Military Detention As A BH Suspect by Nobody: 2:17pm On Nov 16, 2014
please spare a minute and visit www.trendsnaija.com
=======================================

Re: UNIMAID Student: Spent 3 Horrible Years In Military Detention As A BH Suspect by Bagwellz(m): 2:19pm On Nov 16, 2014
Olaskybab:
Eeeeh..... Tank God I see land 4 here sha.....tank God oooo

Now 2 d topic........

Pls bear wit me

Brb
who is this

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

President Buhari Receives Nuhu Ribadu At The State House, Abuja / Buhari’s Ministerial List Colourless, Stagnant, Uninspiring — PDP / Reno Omokri: How Sowore Blackmailed Me And Almost Ruined The Life Of My Family

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 66
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.