Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,483 members, 7,808,756 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 04:26 PM

Electronics Circuit Design From Concept To Implementation - Science/Technology (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Electronics Circuit Design From Concept To Implementation (59684 Views)

Printed Circuit Board For Your Electronics Project. / Nepa Alarm: Circuit To Power Small Speaker / Circuit Diagram Of A Pure Sine Wave Inverter Needed (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (13) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Electronics Circuit Design From Concept To Implementation by thecommunist(m): 4:50pm On Dec 11, 2014
I have really lost touch.this used to be my passion but as the years dragged by, and as i seem like a lone ranger in that field , i lost touch and interest. Its nice to come across this thread. Maybe it will reignite the fire in me. Meanwhile...OP, infusing control and automation will be great, i have some great ideas tho.

2 Likes

Re: Electronics Circuit Design From Concept To Implementation by soleexx(m): 4:52pm On Dec 11, 2014
Bros I wana sabi programming like you
Re: Electronics Circuit Design From Concept To Implementation by mezielo: 5:01pm On Dec 11, 2014
Gud 1
Re: Electronics Circuit Design From Concept To Implementation by ThundrCork(m): 5:06pm On Dec 11, 2014
Following
Re: Electronics Circuit Design From Concept To Implementation by realK: 5:22pm On Dec 11, 2014
Zet72:
Op thanks for such educative thread, my question is this, I see 1 transistor & 1 ic in that PCB, did u program the ic & how did u get the perfect transistor for the board?

2) The equipment u earlier mentioned, how much will it cost to get them?

3) Is PCB available in the market?

4) The remote sensor is it available in the market?

Thanks in advance for ur reply

I will like to know where to get these components too
Re: Electronics Circuit Design From Concept To Implementation by acorntree(m): 6:16pm On Dec 11, 2014
sukkot:
now can you create solar energy for the whole nigeria ? o r of what use is all this ? cheesy
I created this thread because of the deficiency in our educational system. Most Nigerian electronics engineering, physics students do not have access to good instructors and technologists who can put them through practical aspect of what they learn in class. So for your information I'm a electronics technologist in a polytechnic with over ten years of experience in electronics. So if the thread is not for you kindly leave.

1 Like

Re: Electronics Circuit Design From Concept To Implementation by acorntree(m): 6:17pm On Dec 11, 2014
clemzo101:
I am in.........OP God bless u for dis.
Thanks
Re: Electronics Circuit Design From Concept To Implementation by acorntree(m): 6:20pm On Dec 11, 2014
9free:
I don't why I always run away from PIC Micro-controller families.
AVR all the way!!!!
I picked pic microcontroller because its easy to get in the market. AVR is also a good microcontroller
Re: Electronics Circuit Design From Concept To Implementation by acorntree(m): 6:23pm On Dec 11, 2014
musicwriter:
@acorntree.
This's how Africans must start thinking for us to flee from technological slavery and poverty cause only science can solve the poverty problem of a nation. Until African children can be able to conceptualize science, we are going no way. Imagine having your entire community learn how to build circuits and they learn it using your native language. That would be the beginning of prosperity for that community. Unfortunately, only very few hold this knowledge.

Keep it up!. Be patient, I'll be able to help people like you source research funds in future. Believe me.
Thanks
Re: Electronics Circuit Design From Concept To Implementation by sukkot: 6:26pm On Dec 11, 2014
acorntree:

I created this thread because of the deficiency in our educational system. Most Nigerian electronics engineering, physics students do not have access to good instructors and technologists who can put them through practical aspect of what they learn in class. So for your information I'm a electronics technologist in a polytechnic with over ten years of experience in electronics. So if the thread is not for you kindly leave.
nigga nobody ask you all that one. the question is when are you going to build enough solar material so we can power nigeria seeing as we got all this sun ? angry
Re: Electronics Circuit Design From Concept To Implementation by acorntree(m): 6:29pm On Dec 11, 2014
[quote author=Neytron4U post=28786685][/quote]
Describe how it will work and we will profer solution
Re: Electronics Circuit Design From Concept To Implementation by Nobody: 6:33pm On Dec 11, 2014
sukkot:
nigga nobody ask you all that one. the question is when are you going to build enough solar material so we can power nigeria seeing as we got all this sun ? angry
grin
If I may, the only 'solar material' I think we need is MONEY.
We have guys that build everything needed for a complete solar power system except the panel here in Nigeria. We just need to tweak the system configuration to give us the power requirement we need.

1 Like

Re: Electronics Circuit Design From Concept To Implementation by sukkot: 6:37pm On Dec 11, 2014
0rex:
grin
If I may, the only 'solar material' I think need is MONEY.
We have guys that build everything needed for a complete solar power system except the panel here in Nigeria. We just need to tweak the system configuration to give us the power requirement we will need.
correct person. i troway salute sir. now thats good news and the type of news we like to hear. so now we just need the right govt to provide the funds if the manpower is ready. SAI BUHARI 2015 grin grin grin

3 Likes

Re: Electronics Circuit Design From Concept To Implementation by DONOCHAS(m): 7:03pm On Dec 11, 2014
I wan learn programming, any help from u guys
Re: Electronics Circuit Design From Concept To Implementation by nexstorm(m): 7:16pm On Dec 11, 2014
Joins classroom quietly.....Brings out biro and paper, and gala....
Re: Electronics Circuit Design From Concept To Implementation by 9free(m): 7:58pm On Dec 11, 2014
acorntree:

I picked pic microcontroller because its easy to get in the market. AVR is also a good microcontroller
AVR Microcontrollers are also available in the market. Maybe I prefer it because of the ease of programming in C language and also availability of cross platform interpreters.
Re: Electronics Circuit Design From Concept To Implementation by Nobody: 8:17pm On Dec 11, 2014
sukkot:
... so now we just need the right govt to provide the funds if the manpower is ready. SAI BUHARI 2015 grin grin grin
cool
Re: Electronics Circuit Design From Concept To Implementation by israelpalatoe(m): 9:15pm On Dec 11, 2014
hi Op. great job
Re: Electronics Circuit Design From Concept To Implementation by usisky(m): 9:27pm On Dec 11, 2014
@OP, nice work...

I will offer some tips based on my experience with these little but useful devices.

Hardware Tips:

Range: From the the datasheet of these devices, the power input to the transmitter can be as low as 3v while the the upper limit
is set at 12v-of course with litlte tolerances. The higher the voltage used, the farther the the signal travels. For me, I
power them from 12v-14v source and use a series 2.7v zener diode to reduce voltage to about 10v-12v. This helps guard
against slight voltage overshoots that might drive the transmitter above its limits. It's equally important to use
about 17cm(quarter wave)single core wire as the atenna as this will equally boost the signal range.

Power Management: Because the transmitter data input is active high(the devices use ASK carrier on/off signaling, with carrier on being a 'high' on the
data input), for those who employ serial port for interfacing with the transmitter(others use manchester encoding or dedicated encoder/decoder chips),
it's important to invert the data from the microcontroller using common-collect NPN transistor and feed the output to the transmitter input.
Rememeber that in the R232 signaling, the standby voltage is a high. Feeding this directly to the transmitter means a constant 433mhz/315mhz(depending on which used)
carrier will be continuosly transmitted. This will significantly drain power if the unit is battery operated. Of course, the output from the receiver end is equally
inverted before being fed to the microcontroller.

Also, if one is using a high-end microcontroller, some power management techniques can be employed if the application is especially battery operated.
Put the controller into the sleep mode available. The controller can then 'wake' either by an external interrupt or setup the watchdog timer
to wake it up at intervals before doing the task(s) intended and return to sleep mode afterwards. In that way, you'll only be wasting microamps of
current during sleep intervals.

Sofware Tips:

Range: The range the transmitter can travel can also be enhanced by using lower baudrates for your transmission/reception. Remember from your
wave theory, lower frequencies travel farther than high frequencies because they have longer wavelenghts. Although we are not really talking
about frequecy as such when we talk about baudrate, but yet the principle remains the same. The device is guaranteed to work upto 2400 baudrate.
But during my experimentation with the devices, I have come to settle for 1200 baudrate.

Data Integrity: Because these devices are largely carrier on/off based, it's important to encode the data sent over the transmitter
to ensure a good reception at the receiver. Some people use dedicated encoder/decoder ICs(like Haltek HT12D & HT12E). But why add to the
cost of our design when infact we're using a microcontroller? Heck, let the little machine do the encoding and decoding.

To cut the story short, the receiver at standby has a high input gain and therefore constantly receives 'garbage'(the gazillion and one wireless data flying around)
over the airwaves. It's required to send a consistent(preamble) data pattern to the receiver which now sychronizes it to the transmitter before actual data is sent.
In this wise, data packetization comes in handy. So, the packetization goes thus:

1)preamble(sync byte)
2)address byte(in case of multi-channel communication)
3)actual data
4)checksum(data integrity assurance).

After much experimentation and visualizing the receiver data output on my oscilloscope, I will say, it works perfect when one uses two strings of preamble data.
I prefer using either an "0xAA" or "0x55" becaused of the even distribution of 'ones' and 'zeros' in those two hexadecimal numbers.

I will share my 'C code' with the house. I mostly work with 'AVR' microcontrollers, but in this case, the project I used it for was not too demanding so I used an
8051 microcontroller................
Re: Electronics Circuit Design From Concept To Implementation by usisky(m): 9:34pm On Dec 11, 2014
This is the Receiver Section's Code. I termed it 'Base Station'. I used this in a Wireless Sensor Network Arrangement. I will subsequently give out the schematic and explain the code.

#include<reg52.h>

#define SYNC_BYTE 0xAA //preamble byte for syncing the tx and rx
#define REMOTE_ADDR 0xA0
#define ALARM1_ADDR 0xA1
#define ALARM2_ADDR 0xA2
#define SMOKE_SENSOR1_ADDR 0xA3
#define SMOKE_SENSOR2_ADDR 0xA4
#define TRIGGER 0x01
#define Alarm_Off 0x02
#define Engage 0x03
#define BASE_ADDR 0xA5

sbit LED = P2^1;
sbit Alarm = P2^0;
sbit AlarmKey = P2^2;
sbit RX_PIN = P3^0;

void Sys_BaudRate(unsigned int);
void Delay(unsigned int);
void Delay_Ms(unsigned char);
void Get_Msg(void);
void Send_Msg(unsigned char,unsigned char);
unsigned char Get_Byte(void);
void Sound_Alarm(void);
void Delay_Sec(unsigned char);

volatile bit SenseFlag;

//*****************************
void SERIAL_ISR(void) interrupt 4
{
ES = 0;
Get_Msg();
ES=1;
}
//****************
void Get_Msg(void)
{
unsigned char addr,dat,chk;

RI = 0;
addr = Get_Byte();
dat = Get_Byte();
chk = Get_Byte();

if((addr==ALARM1_ADDR)||(addr==ALARM2_ADDR))
{
if(((dat+addr)==chk)&&(SenseFlag==1))Sound_Alarm();
else if(SenseFlag==0)(Alarm=0);
}
else if(addr==REMOTE_ADDR)
{
if((dat+addr)==chk)
{
if(dat==Engage)
{
SenseFlag=~SenseFlag;
if(SenseFlag==1)
{
Alarm=1;
Delay_Sec(1);
Alarm=0;
Delay_Sec(1);
Alarm=1;
Delay_Sec(1);
Alarm=0;
}
else {Alarm=1;Delay_Sec(1);}
}
else if(dat==Alarm_Off){Alarm=0;Delay_Sec(1);}
}

}
else if((addr==SMOKE_SENSOR1_ADDR)||(addr==SMOKE_SENSOR2_ADDR)){;}
}
//**********************
unsigned char Get_Byte(void)
{
while(!RI);
RI= 0;
return(SBUF);
}
//*********************
/*void Send_Msg(unsigned char DAT,unsigned char ADD)
{
;//Reserved for future sending of SMS to owner.
}*/
//******************
void Sound_Alarm(void)
{
Alarm=1;
}
//******************
void Serial_Init(void)
{
TMOD = 0x20;
SCON = 0x50;
PCON |= 0x80;
Sys_BaudRate(1200);
ES = 1;
TI = 0;
RI = 0;
TR1 = 1;
}
//****************************
void Sys_BaudRate(unsigned int baud)
{
switch (baud)
{
case 300:{TH1 = 0x40;TL1 = 0x40;break;}
case 600:{TH1 = 0xA0;TL1 = 0xA0;break;}
case 1200:{TH1 = 0xD0;TL1 = 0xD0;break;}
case 2400:{TH1 = 0xE8;TL1 = 0xE8;break;}
default:{TH1 = 0xD0;TL1 = 0xD0;break;}
}
}
//***********************
void Delay(unsigned int x) //general purpose delay fucntion
{
unsigned int z;
while(x)
{
for(z=0;z<112;z++);
x--;
}
}
void Delay_Ms(unsigned char t)
{
while(t--)Delay(1);
}
//******************
void Delay_Sec(unsigned char t)
{
unsigned int T=1000;

while(t--)
{
while(T--)
{
Delay_Ms(1);
}
T=1000;
}
}
//*********************
void Sys_Init(void)
{
Alarm=0;
EA = 0;
SenseFlag=1;
AlarmKey = 1;
Serial_Init();
LED = 1;
EA = 1;
}
//*******************
void main(void)
{
Sys_Init();
while(1)
{
LED=~LED;
Delay_Sec(1);
}
}

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Electronics Circuit Design From Concept To Implementation by usisky(m): 9:41pm On Dec 11, 2014
Here's the transmitter node's code:

#include<reg52.h>

#define SYNC_BYTE 0xAA
#define ALARM1_ADDR 0xA1
#define TRIGGER 0x01
//XTAL Value = 11.0592mhz
sfr T2MOD = 0xC9;

//Input/Output pin definitions
sbit LED = P2^0;
sbit AlarmInput = P3^2;

void Send_Byte(unsigned char);
void Sys_BaudRate(unsigned int);
void Delay_Ms(unsigned char);
void Delay_Sec(unsigned char);

//Function prototypes
void Sound_Alarm(void);
void Delay(unsigned int);
//**********************************
void EXT0_ISR(void) interrupt 0 //Interrupt function for processing
{ //Intrusion detection
EA = 0;
LED = 0;
Delay(5);
while(!AlarmInput)Sound_Alarm(); //Confirm that the PIR has a valid
LED=1;
EA = 1; //detection; call the alarm function
}
//*********************
void Send_Msg(unsigned char d)
{
Send_Byte(SYNC_BYTE);
Send_Byte(SYNC_BYTE);
Delay(5);
Send_Byte(ALARM1_ADDR);
Delay(5);
Send_Byte(d);
Delay(5);
Send_Byte(d+ALARM1_ADDR);
Delay(5);
}
//*******************
void Send_Byte(unsigned char c)
{
ES = 0;
SBUF=c;
while(!TI);
TI=0;
ES = 1;
}
//******************
void Serial_Init(void)
{
TMOD = 0x20;
SCON = 0x50;
PCON |= 0x80;
Sys_BaudRate(1200);
ES = 0;
TI = 0;
RI = 0;
TR1 = 1;
}
//****************************
void Sys_BaudRate(unsigned int baud)
{
switch (baud)
{
case 300:{TH1 = 0x40;TL1 = 0x40;break;}
case 600:{TH1 = 0xA0;TL1 = 0xA0;break;}
case 1200:{TH1 = 0xD0;TL1 = 0xD0;break;}
case 2400:{TH1 = 0xE8;TL1 = 0xE8;break;}
default:{TH1 = 0xD0;TL1 = 0xD0;break;}
}
}
//***********************************
void Sound_Alarm(void)
{
unsigned char i;
for(i=0;i<50;i++){Send_Msg(TRIGGER);Delay_Ms(12);}
}
//***************************
void Delay(unsigned int x) //general purpose delay fucntion
{
unsigned int z;
while(x)
{
for(z=0;z<112;z++);
x--;
}
}
void Delay_Ms(unsigned char t)
{
while(t--)Delay(1);
}
//*********************
void Delay_Sec(unsigned char t)
{
unsigned int T=1000;

while(t--)
{
while(T--)
{
Delay_Ms(1);
}
T=1000;
}
}
//*******************************
void Init_Sys(void) //system initialization function. it
{ //all hardware units needed by our design
EA = 0;
Serial_Init();
AlarmInput = 1;
EX0 = 1;
IT0 = 1;
IE0 = 0;
EA = 1;
}
//**************************************
void main(void) //main funciton
{
Init_Sys();
while(1);//Sound_Alarm();
}

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Electronics Circuit Design From Concept To Implementation by usisky(m): 9:53pm On Dec 11, 2014
9free:
I don't why I always run away from PIC Micro-controller families.
AVR all the way!!!!

Hi there......From my experience, all microcontrollers are basically the same. When you gain mastery in one, the learning curve in mastering other
micrcontroller family or variants within the same family becomes narrow. I for the most part design with the AVR micros. But that is not to say
the PIC or any other platform is less powerful. Our choice of using any platform should largely center around:

1)intended task
2) cost
3) availability of design tools
4) manufacturer support etc
Re: Electronics Circuit Design From Concept To Implementation by Dekatron(m): 10:04pm On Dec 11, 2014
Since i was a kid,i've loved electronics. I once miraculously fixed our DVD when i was 15. I jst got admitted to study electrical/electronics at a federal uni. Now, mr acorntree,i researched on and found out that we'll learn how to programme using visual basic,bt me,i jst recently started learning c++,cos i see to like it(i can't get a compiler on the laptop,cos aint got mney 4 sub&modem z 4 my bro).my question is:can't u programme using c++? And also,why VB?
I am getting a note and naming it:'EAGLE EYE'. Lol. . .thanks for the thread,and also in anticipation for the answers to my questions.
Re: Electronics Circuit Design From Concept To Implementation by xprimate(m): 11:37pm On Dec 11, 2014
I am so glad u are doing this. Good job. I studied Electronics in the uni. I have strong entrepreneural inclination especially in science and engineering projects. Pls op I want to meet you. This is my email- ogbonnajay@gmail.com
Re: Electronics Circuit Design From Concept To Implementation by birdman(m): 2:07am On Dec 12, 2014
acorntree:

nice one. i am curious, maybe i missed it somewhere on this thread, but where/how are you buying the electronic parts for your project. Online, surplus store or what?
Re: Electronics Circuit Design From Concept To Implementation by pricelessmr: 3:24am On Dec 12, 2014
musicwriter:

Yes, conceptualizing not only Mathematics but also Physics, Chemisty, Biology is the key to science. And that's what I've been clamouring for ages. I've even made a song off it.
Please read the below link on my signature, I've explained everything Africa need to move forward in science and technology and it's perfectly in line with your suggestion. I can tell you're a true science guy.

I read your article. It crystalizes the reason why Africa is still in slavery. I will like to meet you in person someday. Your passion is luminous. When USA government fund researchers in STEM heavily and give grants to exceptional students, I wonder what African politicians are processing in their calvarium? Do our leaders want to wait until the westerners tell us to give up ownership of African communities if we must continue to enjoying electricity, cars, fly private jet, use computers etc?

I don't see any difference between the Slave trade era and now. While our leaders sold human beings to slavery for mirrors, umbrella etc, they are currently exchanging our naturally resources (humans not needed for present technological advancement but Energy and metals etc for machines / robot) for bloated cars, phones etc. Welcome to Technological slavery. A prominent Nigerian once cried out " Oil for Technology, not Oil for money ". We can talk on forever, but the time for change whether we like it or not is very near.

You are right. Science has been my life from early age. As a licenced Medical doctor, Electronics and embedded systems engineer, with flare for applied mathematical science , I see everything about nature from first principle. I didn't wait for anyone to fund me, I grind myself in complex research with limited tools, yet I come up with sound practical Solutions to real problems in our society. I must quickly say that at this stage, large scale production requires support.

The Chinese are not smarter than Nigerians but d drive to sustain STEM development make them look like "miracle workers". It would amaze u to know that I program chips that run smoothly on existing foreign circuit boards for commercial products like voltage stabilizer, inverter etc, which means not only knowing the smallest details of d circuits, but knowing as well the equations guiding collective design. I will post pics later. My dream is a true indigenous company/ industry producing power electronic products, biomedical equipment, agro-mechatronic devices... This is what I have lived for. Science is action not journalism.

1 Like

Re: Electronics Circuit Design From Concept To Implementation by connectikut89(m): 4:05am On Dec 12, 2014
Following
Re: Electronics Circuit Design From Concept To Implementation by usisky(m): 7:09am On Dec 12, 2014
TRANSMITTER CCT.

I will trim the code down and give a testing procedure using a PC terminal much later.....

Note: The power to the transmitter is design specific. As for my case I needed range and the device is stationed remotely hence my use
of 12v battery. You can make do with 3v or 5v depending on your intended usage. Also, the transmitter receiver pair used is the same one
as that the OP used..

Re: Electronics Circuit Design From Concept To Implementation by usisky(m): 7:14am On Dec 12, 2014
RECEIVER CCT.

Re: Electronics Circuit Design From Concept To Implementation by Liadi2(m): 5:59pm On Dec 12, 2014
pls I need a running message circuit using remote to input data
Re: Electronics Circuit Design From Concept To Implementation by pricelessmr: 6:26pm On Dec 12, 2014
Liadi2:
pls I need a running message circuit using remote to input data

You mean something like this: ? www.nairaland.com/1577737/want-program-pic-microcontroller-assembly#24685626

watch d youtube videos, we may deposit d files.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (13) (Reply)

Sea Turtle Caught Near Ibeno Island In Akwa Ibom (Photos) / See The Animal We Killed This Morning By Me And My Brother. / Solar Energy Installations In Nigeria - Welcome To 24 Hours Electricity

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 64
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.