Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,589 members, 7,809,134 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 12:42 AM

A Touching Letter From Abraham Lincoln! - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / A Touching Letter From Abraham Lincoln! (1363 Views)

Photo: Touching Letter By An Abused Wife To Her Husband Before She Died / Touching Letter By An Abused Wife To Her Husband Before She Died / Why You Should CALL Your Parents Now. (A Touching Photo) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

A Touching Letter From Abraham Lincoln! by kristonium(m): 11:33pm On Nov 09, 2014
So i stumbled on this letter, which Former United states president Abraham Lincoln (R.I.P) wrote to his son’s teacher, and thought it nice to share. Hope it inspires you…….

My son is young, and he will have to learn i know. I know all men are not just, and all men are not true. But teach him also that for every scoundrel there is a hero; that for every selfish politician, there is a dedicated leader.

Teach him that a dollar earned has far more value than five dollars found. Teach him to learn to lose, And to also enjoy winning

Steer him away from envy if you can, and teach him the secret of quiet laughter. Teach him the wonder of books; but also give him the quiet time to ponder the eternal mystery of the birds in the sky, bees in the sun, and flowers on a green hillside.

In school, teach him that it is more valuable to fail than to cheat. Teach him to believe in his own ideas even if everyone says they are wrong. Teach him to be gentle with gentle people, and tough with tough people.

Try to give him the strength not to follow the crowd even when everyone is getting on the band wagon.

Teach him to listen to all men, but teach him to filter all he hears on a screen of truth and take only the good that comes through. Teach him how to laugh when he is sad, and teach him there is no shame in tears. Teach him to close his ears to a howling mob, and to stand and fight when he thinks he is right.

Teach him gently, but do not cuddle him because only the test of fire makes fine steel. Let him have the courage to be impatient, and let him have the patience to be brave. Teach him to have sublime faith in his creator, and to also have faith in himself because then, he will always have faith in mankind.

This is a big order, but see what you can do. He is such a fine young lad, my son.

-Abraham Lincoln

2 Likes

Re: A Touching Letter From Abraham Lincoln! by oluwadanie1(m): 11:39pm On Nov 09, 2014
Nice one.
Truly inspiring
Wish our teachers taught us in this way.

1 Like

Re: A Touching Letter From Abraham Lincoln! by Georgematics(m): 11:42pm On Nov 09, 2014
the teacher gats be Genius to teach the son all those tinz up there o

1 Like

Re: A Touching Letter From Abraham Lincoln! by kristonium(m): 7:25am On Nov 10, 2014
Georgematics:
Abraham Lincoln acknowledged that and he requested that the teacher try his best.
Re: A Touching Letter From Abraham Lincoln! by Nobody: 8:43am On Nov 10, 2014
Georgematics:
What's so difficult up there?? undecided

Those are just moral etiquette every child should be taught....
Re: A Touching Letter From Abraham Lincoln! by Fringes(m): 10:33am On Nov 10, 2014
Have you seen Abraham Lincoln's 'Letter to Mrs Bixby'?

It is another very inspiring letter from the American National Hero. It is sad that such a great man with such awesome history and brains was felled untimely by the assasin's gun.

Letter to Mrs Bixby inspired the movie 'Saving Private Ryan'.

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bixby_letter
Re: A Touching Letter From Abraham Lincoln! by kristonium(m): 7:09am On Nov 11, 2014
Fringes:
Have you seen Abraham Lincoln's 'Letter to Mrs Bixby'?
It is another very inspiring letter from the American National Hero. It is sad that such a great man with such awesome history and brains was felled untimely by the assasin's gun.
Letter to Mrs Bixby inspired the movie 'Saving Private Ryan'.
en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bixby_letter
just read that too!
the man is an epic leader!

(1) (Reply)

Help! He Is Blackmailing Me! Must Read / Narrow Escape And Scary Moments. / School Lunch Pack Promo!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 19
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.