Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,398 members, 7,808,430 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 11:51 AM

Tattoo And Their Meanings. - Fashion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Fashion / Tattoo And Their Meanings. (13910 Views)

A Thread For Tattoo Appreciation (Crazy Pictures) / Show Of Your Tattoo Tattoo And What Does It Mean To You / Would You Get A Tattoo? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Tattoo And Their Meanings. by Nobody: 10:44am On Nov 10, 2014
Lately i've been seeing people getting Tattooed up without really knowing the significance of the symbols. So i like to share some popular Tattoo symbols and their meanings so next time you're getting inked, you know the real deal.
Spiderwebs: Spiders spin webs to trap and imprison prey, Spiderwebs are now commonly used to symbolize the amount of time spent in jail by ex-convicts.

1 Like

Re: Tattoo And Their Meanings. by Nobody: 10:45am On Nov 10, 2014
Wings Tattoo Designs:

In tattoo designing the wings designs are often infused with spiritual or inspirational significance. For instance, an angel motif along with wings is a symbol of guidance and protection.

1 Like

Re: Tattoo And Their Meanings. by Nobody: 10:45am On Nov 10, 2014
Upside down cross/St. Peter’s cross: Representative of the crucifixion of St. Peter on an upside down cross. The image is often used as a symbol in Satanism.

Re: Tattoo And Their Meanings. by Nobody: 10:46am On Nov 10, 2014
[b]Christian Cross: [/b]A symbol of Christianity representing the crucifixion of Jesus.

1 Like

Re: Tattoo And Their Meanings. by Nobody: 10:47am On Nov 10, 2014
Dragon tattoos are classic designs which show the influence of Japanese and Chinese culture in western tattooing art culture.

1 Like

Re: Tattoo And Their Meanings. by Nobody: 10:48am On Nov 10, 2014
Teardrop
One of the most common criminal tattoos is the teardrop underneath the eye. The most widely accepted meaning of the teardrop is the wearer has killed someone — this is reported to have originated among the Chicano gangs of California. The teardrop can also mean that the wearer has served a long prison sentence, or is mourning the loss of a family member. A clear teardrop, like the one pictured, can mean that the wearer has committed an attempted murder, or alternatively, that a close friend was killed and the wearer is seeking revenge.

1 Like

Re: Tattoo And Their Meanings. by Nobody: 10:49am On Nov 10, 2014
[b]The clock with no hands [/b]symbolizes "doing time" and is representative of the meaninglessness of time to an inmate serving a lengthy, or lifelong, prison sentence.

1 Like

Re: Tattoo And Their Meanings. by Nobody: 10:57am On Nov 10, 2014
I hate tattoos

1 Like

Re: Tattoo And Their Meanings. by Nobody: 11:00am On Nov 10, 2014
Yungwizzzy:
I hate tattoos
I'm not saying you should get one...Just letting people know that some symbols have meanings so they should try to find out the meanings before getting them.
For example, i see a lot of guys getting the tear drops while they have never served a prison sentence or murdered someone. So why would they get that out of ignorance.

Star of David: A six-point star referred to as the Shield of David is representative of the Jewish faith.

Re: Tattoo And Their Meanings. by Nobody: 11:02am On Nov 10, 2014
Okay. They are all good.

1 Like

Re: Tattoo And Their Meanings. by Nobody: 11:13am On Nov 10, 2014
Musical notes tattoo symbolize the love for music and are the perfect design to express love, thrill, passion and fun. A good number of music lovers and music professional’s like to get their body inked with various kinds of melodies designs to show their love for music. Women have always felt a very strong attraction towards music and make a profound and bold statement with it. The most common designs for musical notes tattoo designs are music bars, notes or treble clefs combined with elements like hearts, stars, and other girlish designs.

1 Like

Re: Tattoo And Their Meanings. by Nobody: 11:14am On Nov 10, 2014
Feather tattoos carry a deep meaning and are worn by people for their aesthetic beauty. The light and flight nature of feather symbolizes freedom and enlightenment. It is also a simile of love, happiness and dreams. The colours used for feather tattoos are mostly done in black and white. But colourful ones look equally beautiful. Feather tattoos can be carved at any place but are most popular on upper back, forearm, shoulders and feet. The designs include peacock feather, turkey tuft or swallowing plumage feather.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Tattoo And Their Meanings. by Nobody: 11:15am On Nov 10, 2014
ROSE: Women have always loved rose tattoos. Rose is a symbol of love, affection and express peace and purity. White rose denotes peace, red signifies love, black rose symbolizes death and orange rose signifies the need for love. You can choose from an array of colours like red, pink, black or even the unusual colour blue.

1 Like

Re: Tattoo And Their Meanings. by Nobody: 11:16am On Nov 10, 2014
Dragonfly is meant to represent a woman’s freed soul or spirit and symbolizes compassion, wisdom, luck, prosperity and courage. This is also a popular choice for women because of dragonfly’s calm demeanour and beautiful configuration. Dragon fly tattoo comes in a variety of designs with their beautiful long wings and large multifaceted eyes. The designs include simple elegant patterns to complex and colourful combinations. The look is equally good on almost every part of the body be it nape, ribcage, shoulder, legs or as wrist tattoos.

1 Like

Re: Tattoo And Their Meanings. by Nobody: 11:17am On Nov 10, 2014
BUTTERFLY: The timeless image of the Butterfly has been around for centuries and is universally popular across the world. Butterfly tattoos are the most popular tattoo designs for women and girls. Besides, butterfly tattoos also represent the eternal desire of mankind to take flight on outspread wings. Butterfly is a symbol of femininity and elegance and represents freedom, peace, and high spirit. There are number of designs to choose from and their bright colours adorn any canvas beautifully. These tattoos can be made anywhere be it back, neck, and ear and even as an arm band.

2 Likes

Re: Tattoo And Their Meanings. by Nobody: 11:18am On Nov 10, 2014
[b]Fingers [/b]are always on display that makes it desirable to have a visible and impressive design on them. It has been a long standing tradition in some places for a woman to get the name of her husband inked on her finger. Finger tattoo is fun & flirty and a style statement in itself. It is rapidly thumbing its way onto girls everywhere and shows itself in a big way. The designs could range from simplest ones like a text or a band to the most intricate and outlandish designs like that of a skull or a mini portrait.

2 Likes

Re: Tattoo And Their Meanings. by Nobody: 11:19am On Nov 10, 2014

Zodiac signs
are a representation of ourselves and our personality. Our zodiac signs can tell us a lot about ourselves and, if you believe in that sort of thing, our destiny too. For thousands or years people have believed in the zodiac meanings with various cultures having their own interpretation too. A lot of people wish to have their star sign tattooed on them because it has meaning in their life and they think it holds clues to who they are and who they will one day be.

1 Like

Re: Tattoo And Their Meanings. by lepasharon(f): 12:24am On Nov 11, 2014
Ooohhh I like the last one its cuttee
Re: Tattoo And Their Meanings. by Nadia6161(f): 9:25am On Nov 12, 2014
Love the rose tatoo.
Re: Tattoo And Their Meanings. by Built2last: 9:29am On Nov 12, 2014
Why cut my body in the name of tattoo.

Tattoo ko dasun ni
Re: Tattoo And Their Meanings. by Nobody: 2:16pm On Nov 17, 2014
Built2last:
Why cut my body in the name of tattoo.

Tattoo ko dasun ni
lol! I'm actually contemplating one on my belly....I like the sparrows maybe after spending some time on the ocean. grin

1 Like

Re: Tattoo And Their Meanings. by kessygirl(f): 11:38am On Nov 18, 2014
Please where can i get airbrush for tattoo. As in the complete kit and do you know how long a temporary tattoo stays on the body. Thanks.
Re: Tattoo And Their Meanings. by Nobody: 1:57pm On Nov 20, 2014
kessygirl:
Please where can i get airbrush for tattoo. As in the complete kit and do you know how long a temporary tattoo stays on the body. Thanks.
You will find that in most of the Tattoo studios in Ikeja or along Allen Avenue.

1 Like

Re: Tattoo And Their Meanings. by kessygirl(f): 5:07pm On Dec 08, 2014
Brandnew2:
You will find that in most of the Tattoo studios in Ikeja or along Allen Avenue.
Thanks @ brandnew2.
Re: Tattoo And Their Meanings. by Nobody: 1:08am On Jan 27, 2015
kessygirl:

Thanks @ brandnew2.

Don't forget to show us your temporary tattoo.
Re: Tattoo And Their Meanings. by hrechkina: 12:10pm On Mar 18, 2016
Amazing article! There are aa lot of tribal tatoo that even do not know which is yours favourite. I’d like to have all of them)) smiley
But I will choose from these http://tattoo-journal.com/traditional-tribal-tattoo-25-mysterious-patterns/
I hope my choice will be succesful. I want that my tatoo will take me a happiness. wink

Re: Tattoo And Their Meanings. by dissmaqq(f): 2:40am On Feb 21, 2017
about feather tattoos and their meanings http://flowertattooideas.com/feather-tattoo/
Re: Tattoo And Their Meanings. by tattoopainchart: 7:33am On Jun 11, 2019
Big names and influencers are a gigantic piece of the tattoo culture fans and adherents will tattoo pain chart attempt to complete something comparative just to demonstrate gratefulness for a particular VIP.
Re: Tattoo And Their Meanings. by izicooo(f): 9:32am On Aug 17, 2020
Nice post op. Please what is the meaning of a cross tattoo and three stars on top, can you help me find out? My husband has that on for three years now, I don't know the meaning, anytime I asked him, he will simply answer that it is meaningless but I think it is a cult sign because I saw somebody in an occasion I attended wearing the same tattoo (it is normally worn on the left shoulder), so I am curious and I want to know the meaning.
Re: Tattoo And Their Meanings. by scottmartin: 11:13pm On Jan 13
Hey guys! I've been thinking about getting a Star Wars themed tattoo for a long time now, but I can't decide on what I want. And before anyone asks, yes I've put some thought into this. I've been in love with Star Wars since long before my dad took me to see TPM (and I'm 22 now!). If people can get tattoos of butterflies or quotes from people they don't know, I think I can justify putting something I've loved forever on my body. Anyways, I've toyed with a few ideas. One was having one side of my upper body be related to the empire and the dark side, so i'd have characters like vader, palpy, maul, and maybe even dooku or malgus. The other half of my upper body would be dedicated to rebellion/republic and the light side, so it'd be luke, obi-wan, anakin (i like the idea of having him represented as himself and vader) and yoda Butterfly Tattoo Meaning. But I'm worried that the tattoo artist will have trouble capturing all of these characters to their fullest. The idea I'm currently leaning towards is having some version of the rebel insignia tattooed on the back of one of my shoulders and the empire/sith insignia on the back of the other shoulder. This is my current preference because it's simple and I feel like I should start small, but it feels like it's missing something. I'd have them be relatively big, maybe softball-ish sized? And they'd be colored, although how I'm not sure yet. I would love to hear your guys ideas! I'm not a very creative person, so any input is appreciated. The one qualification I have is that any tattoos be on my upper body and either on my back, torso, or upper arms. I'm all for tattoos anywhere, but unfortunately I'm a CPA and visible tattoos aren't allowed. Thanks in advance!

(1) (Reply)

Butt Craze :What's The Attraction To The Butt? / The Best Fashion School In Port Harcourt / Help Me I'm Young, Female And I Think I'm Going Bald!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.