Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,492 members, 7,808,823 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 05:28 PM

Should We Tithe Before Or After Paying Tax? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Should We Tithe Before Or After Paying Tax? (6727 Views)

Eat Your Tithe Before The Lord / How Regular Should We Tithe? / Who Do We Give When We Tithe? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Should We Tithe Before Or After Paying Tax? by mantraa: 10:36am On Nov 23, 2008
A Friend of mine was in church last week and had an argument with the pastor because she asked if the monthly 10% tithe that she gives to the church should be 10% of her income before tax is deducted or after. She earns £2000 per month and takes home £1600 after income tax. She was giving £160 pm to the church, but the pastor says she should be giving £200 which made her feel very upset . She then challenged the pastor to justify this considering that the church does not have to pay taxes. He insisted that she should give the full £200 willingly and not question God's word.

Who is right in this matter and how much do you tithe?
Re: Should We Tithe Before Or After Paying Tax? by toozealous(m): 1:54pm On Nov 23, 2008
Well it depends what d pastor is seeing n maybe d lord is d one talking to her thru. D pastor. But d problem is we see them as mere human or except he's a fake. As 4 me tithe paying has paid off.Cos as long as giving 4 d work of God. He'll be working 4 u. Cheers
Re: Should We Tithe Before Or After Paying Tax? by AKO1(m): 2:44pm On Nov 23, 2008
Please let's endeavour to keep this discussion about your opinions on tithes before or after tax.

There are other threads that discuss whether or not we should tithe, extensively.

Thanks.
Re: Should We Tithe Before Or After Paying Tax? by dafidixone(m): 2:23pm On Nov 25, 2008
A Friend of mine was in church last week and had an argument with the pastor because she asked if the monthly 10% tithe that she gives to the church should be 10% of her income before tax is deducted or after. She earns £2000 per month and takes home £1600 after income tax. She was giving £160 pm to the church, but the pastor says she should be giving £200 which made her feel very upset . She then challenged the pastor to justify this considering that the church does not have to pay taxes. He insisted that she should give the full £200 willingly and not question God's word.

I think it is the duty of the pastor to preach and not to enforce. Your friend has done well by appreciating that tithe belong to God. You friend must not for whatever reason be upset with her pastor. God forgive her for that. God appreciate a cheerful giver. Tithe is 10% of earn income in whatever form it may be. If your friend bring in 1,600, ordinarily her tithe would be 10% of that amount. Tithe is a business between her and God. She should however look out if there is any traces of devourer on her finances after the payment, I think she should reconsider her pastor's view and make amend.
Re: Should We Tithe Before Or After Paying Tax? by KunleOshob(m): 2:37pm On Nov 25, 2008
dafidixone:

I think it is the duty of the pastor to preach and not to enforce. Your friend has done well by appreciating that tithe belong to God. You friend must not for whatever reason be upset with her pastor. God forgive her for that. God appreciate a cheerful giver. Tithe is 10% of earn income in whatever form it may be. If your friend bring in 1,600, ordinarily her tithe would be 10% of that amount. Tithe is a business between her and God. She should however look out if there is any traces of devourer on her finances after the payment, I think she should reconsider her pastor's view and make amend.
dafidixone long time grin, i see you are still spreading this false doctrine of tithes angry biblical tithes is 10% of the produce of the land which God gave the Israelites and not 10% of income that fraudulent pastors preach today.

@mantraa
Tithing as no place in christianity don't let any man or pastor deceive you.
Re: Should We Tithe Before Or After Paying Tax? by dafidixone(m): 2:49pm On Nov 25, 2008
dafidixone long time

You are blessed my brother. Could you please check your meaning of words for "income" "proceed" and other word commonly used when tithe is mentioned? or are you a farmer? smiley
Shalom.
Re: Should We Tithe Before Or After Paying Tax? by KunleOshob(m): 3:25pm On Nov 25, 2008
Well since i am not a farmer and i don't produce from the land, i have no business paying tithes which was meant for the levites who are no longer in existence today. When tithes was mentioned in the bible, "produce of the land" was the catch phrase there and not proceeds or income as some pastors would like us to believe. Bibical tithes never had anything to do with income or money. The people of Israel were already earning income as far back as Genesis and money was also being freelly used. Money or income was never a tithable item. it was strictly agricultural produce. That aside tithing was one of the 613 mosaic laws which were repealed by the death of Christ our saviour. Is it not obvious there is a fraudulent intention on the part of preachers to smuggle tithes into christianity even when christ or the apostles never directed christians to tithe in the new testament.
Re: Should We Tithe Before Or After Paying Tax? by pilgrim1(f): 5:12pm On Nov 25, 2008
KunleOshob:

That aside tithing was one of the 613 mosaic laws which were repealed by the death of Christ our saviour. Is it not obvious there is a fraudulent intention on the part of preachers to smuggle tithes into christianity even when christ or the apostles never directed christians to tithe in the new testament.

Hallo again, KunleOshob.

I am often amazed at how you are at liberty to castigate others and yet are so unable to see your own mishaps. That is not the way to discuss a matter at all. For one, if others are preaching a matter and they did not dip their hands into your pocket to pay tithes, why not offer your own views without being so accusative?

Second, KunleOshob, you often carry this flawed mentality of 613 Mosaic laws as being repealed by the death of Christ. Mr Kunle, if that is so, please throw the Decalogue once and for all and stop being selective. It's either you mean what you are saying or you are not a serious fellow at all. Are loving God and loving neighbour not part of those 613 Laws you decry? Were they also repealed by Christ death as you claim for all those 613 Mosaic laws? How come you keep schlepping this same mentality that is so flawed and selective, and yet you are always at liberty to castigate others?
Re: Should We Tithe Before Or After Paying Tax? by pilgrim1(f): 5:12pm On Nov 25, 2008
dafidixone:

You are blessed my brother. Could you please check your meaning of words for "income" "proceed" and other word commonly used when tithe is mentioned? or are you a farmer? smiley
Shalom.

Long time, dafidixone. How are you doing? I trust all is well. Bless you. wink
Re: Should We Tithe Before Or After Paying Tax? by otokx(m): 7:19pm On Nov 25, 2008
Its 10% after tax has been paid to ceaser.
Re: Should We Tithe Before Or After Paying Tax? by mazaje(m): 7:46pm On Nov 25, 2008
Pilgrim 1
pls do you speak in tongues?. . . . .
Re: Should We Tithe Before Or After Paying Tax? by KunleOshob(m): 11:05am On Nov 26, 2008
@pilgrim.1
Where have you been?? Missed ya kiss
I think you and i have heard enough dialogue on this false doctrine already so i would avoid responding to your posts. However if any brethren out there should require clarification on why tithes is not meant for christians i would be more than willing to share with them my extensive knowledge of this topic using several biblical references.
Re: Should We Tithe Before Or After Paying Tax? by pilgrim1(f): 11:27am On Nov 26, 2008
KunleOshob:

@pilgrim.1
Where have you been?? Missed ya kiss
I think you and i have heard enough dialogue on this false doctrine already so i would avoid responding to your posts. However if any brethren out there should require clarification on why tithes is not meant for christians i would be more than willing to share with them my extensive knowledge of this topic using several biblical references.

@KunleOshob,

I'm doing okay, thanks. And you?

Be encouraged to share your views, be that whatever they may be. The one thing you could do to really help anyone is share those views simply without trying to castigate anyone. Not everything you hold on this matter is Biblically sound, so what is this idea of your "extensive knowledge"? A case in point is the 613 laws you often go about asserting were repealed by Jesus' death. Even though that is not true (and there are over 213 examples I could readily point out in a few minutes), would it be nice of anyone to castigate you the way you readily castigate others for what you don't understand? Would it be nice of them to also claim they have "extensive knowledge" and use your own language on you for the false assertions you often make? It is easy to malign others, especially when what you assert is equally false; but I'm sure that if anyone was to point out your own position with the same language you use on others, you would not be happy at all.

Please learn to address issues and save the distractions. Leave others to make up their minds when you state your premise simply. You don't have to embellish your posts with such pride and false assertions. You never know how many people will see through your position and waste them the way you hope to denigrate others.

Shalom.
Re: Should We Tithe Before Or After Paying Tax? by dafidixone(m): 11:34am On Nov 26, 2008
Long time, dafidixone. How are you doing? I trust all is well. Bless you.

I am good my sister. It's been long. I got your mail sometimes. It is well. I pray that all your hope and expectation for God's kingdom will not be cut short in Jesus name. Bless you.

As per Kunle osobu, I think the guy is a philosopher. I met so many of them during my studies on Philosophy of education. What I realise about many of them was that they did not even know what philosophy is all about. cheesy

I pray kunle will know the truth one day.

Peace! smiley
Re: Should We Tithe Before Or After Paying Tax? by KunleOshob(m): 11:48am On Nov 26, 2008
dafidixone:

As per Kunle osobu, I think the guy is a philosopher. I met so many of them during my studies on Philosophy of education. What I realise about many of them was that they did not even know what philosophy is all about. cheesy

I pray kunle will know the truth one day.

Peace! smiley
Wrong again my dear brother, i am not a philosopher in fact i am far from it. What i am is a simple christian who truly desires the life of Christ and as discovered that is a big difference between the true Gospel of ur Lord Jesus Christ and doctrine that is commonly being preached in most of our churches and labelled as the word of God. I have realized the truth and the truth as set me free cheesy

@Pilgrim.1
wink
Re: Should We Tithe Before Or After Paying Tax? by dafidixone(m): 1:09pm On Nov 26, 2008
Wrong again my dear brother, i am not a philosopher in fact i am far from it. What i am is a simple christian who truly desires the life of Christ and as discovered that is a big difference between the true Gospel of ur Lord Jesus Christ and doctrine that is commonly being preached in most of our churches and labelled as the word of God. I have realized the truth and the truth as set me free
cheesy
My dear bros. we are still saying the samething, Philosophers are full of ideaology. But Christianity is away of life. cheesy Kunle you must move your beleive in our Lord Jesus to the next level. Bible cannot be read for understanding without Holy Spirit helping us.
Re: Should We Tithe Before Or After Paying Tax? by JJYOU: 1:20pm On Nov 26, 2008
NAWAO TITHE IS TAKING ANOTHER LIFE
Re: Should We Tithe Before Or After Paying Tax? by KunleOshob(m): 1:57pm On Nov 26, 2008
dafidixone:

cheesy
My dear bros. we are still saying the samething, Philosophers are full of ideaology. But Christianity is away of life. cheesy Kunle you must move your beleive in our Lord Jesus to the next level. Bible cannot be read for understanding without Holy Spirit helping us.
The bible and the Holy spirit in me make it crystal clear to me that compulsory tithing being preached in today's churches is not meant for christians. And that is why Jesus Christ and the apostles NEVER taught or preached about it. The apostles started christianity and they wrote several letters on christian living, giving, faith, love and several other things concerning how we are expected to live as christians. Tithing was conspiciously absent. Are you telling me these preachers of today (whom we were warned about) know better than the apostles who walked with christ physically??
Re: Should We Tithe Before Or After Paying Tax? by anonimi: 2:21pm On Nov 26, 2008
@ poster,

ask your friend to read her Bible up on this matter as she is supposed to on ANY matter, irrespective of what her pastor says.
Specific to this is Matt. 22v21

"Then saith he (Jesus) unto them, Render therefore unto Caesar the things which are Caesar's; and (then/thereafter) unto God the things that are God's."
Shalom
Re: Should We Tithe Before Or After Paying Tax? by pilgrim1(f): 2:31pm On Nov 26, 2008
KunleOshob:

The bible and the Holy spirit in me make it crystal clear to me that compulsory tithing being preached in today's churches is not meant for christians.

Which "bible"? How can you be talking about "Bible" here when you know you have questioned is veracity? When it is convenient for you to haggle, you scream about the "bible" making something clear to you. I hear.
Re: Should We Tithe Before Or After Paying Tax? by pilgrim1(f): 2:36pm On Nov 26, 2008
anonimi:

@ poster,

ask your friend to read her Bible up on this matter as she is supposed to on ANY matter, irrespective of what her pastor says.
Specific to this is Matt. 22v21

I enjoyed that, thanks. Just to add this from 2 Cor. 9:7 - "Each one must give as he has decided in his heart, not reluctantly or under compulsion, for God loves a cheerful giver."
Re: Should We Tithe Before Or After Paying Tax? by mantraa: 2:46pm On Nov 26, 2008
Thanks for your replies to my post and all your various suggestions. I have learnt a lot that i didnt know before and will discuss them with my friend and our pastor when i see him on sunday. I consider myself an openminded christian and am willing to learn new things and interpretations of the bible. I have decided to use my own judgement in Gods eyes and go against my pastor's demands. I have been reading in other topics about pastors owning private jets and stuff, but my pastor is not like that. I will be giving as much as i feel i can but as i am also helping my sick mother back home, i will ask the pastor if i can reduce my monthly tithe to £100 per month, which is less than 10%, and send my mother an extra £100 pm instead. I hope he is understanding enough to accept my proposal, and will advise my friend to do the same.
I will also put to him the suggestion that christians shouldnt be giving compulsory tithes at all as it is not part of Christ's teachings,

Wish me luck :-)
Re: Should We Tithe Before Or After Paying Tax? by pilgrim1(f): 3:01pm On Nov 26, 2008
@mantraa,

mantraa:

Thanks for your replies to my post and all your various suggestions. I have learnt a lot that i didnt know before and will discuss them with my friend and our pastor when i see him on sunday. I consider myself an openminded christian and am willing to learn new things and interpretations of the bible. I have decided to use my own judgement in Gods eyes and go against my pastor's demands. I have been reading in other topics about pastors owning private jets and stuff, but my pastor is not like that. I will be giving as much as i feel i can but as i am also helping my sick mother back home, i will ask the pastor if i can reduce my monthly tithe to £100 per month, which is less than 10%, and send my mother an extra £100 pm instead. I hope he is understanding enough to accept my proposal, and will advise my friend to do the same.
I will also put to him the suggestion that christians shouldnt be giving compulsory tithes at all as it is not part of Christ's teachings,

Wish me luck :-)

Lol, let me wish you much more than luck. The highlighted part is what I would take if I were in your position - it is non-negotiable and you do not need to discuss it with any pastor (MHO). No pastor can take the place of God; and what He says is all there is to be concerned with. As you purpose in your heart (2 Cor. 9:7). QED. If what you give in church is cheerfully done and amounts to just £10 from your heart, then "it is accepted according to that a man hath, and not according to that he hath not. " (2 Cor. 8:12).

Blessings aplenty.
Re: Should We Tithe Before Or After Paying Tax? by dafidixone(m): 3:48pm On Nov 26, 2008

Your mother sickness could be devourer in operation. Watchout that you do not cross the path of God! Pay your tithe in the right propotion. 10% not negotiable. I am not your pastor I am only telling you the truth. Even if you think your pastor spend your money, I am not spending it.

I wish you mother quick recovery from her sickness. smiley
Re: Should We Tithe Before Or After Paying Tax? by KunleOshob(m): 5:08pm On Nov 26, 2008
dafidixone:

Your mother sickness could be devourer in operation. Watchout that you do not cross the path of God! Pay your tithe in the right propotion. 10% not negotiable. I am not your pastor I am only telling you the truth. Even if you think your pastor spend your money, I am not spending it.

I wish you mother quick recovery from her sickness. smiley
False doctrine lipsrsealed

This what the bible has to say about such money mongers who tell you all sorts of lies and distort the bible just to extort money from you.

2 Peter 2:3:
3 In their greed they will make up clever lies to get hold of your money. But God condemned them long ago, and their destruction will not be delayed.

Romans 16:17-18:
17 And now I make one more appeal, my dear brothers and sisters. Watch out for people who cause divisions and upset people’s faith by teaching things contrary to what you have been taught. Stay away from them. 18 Such people are not serving Christ our Lord; they are serving their own personal interests. By smooth talk and glowing words they deceive innocent people.
Re: Should We Tithe Before Or After Paying Tax? by pilgrim1(f): 5:21pm On Nov 26, 2008
KunleOshob:

This what the bible has to say about such money mongers who tell you all sorts of lies and distort the bible just to extort money from you.

It is easy to use verses to slur other people. . . way too easy. Take care of your own lies, then you can be in a better position to share truth.
Re: Should We Tithe Before Or After Paying Tax? by KunleOshob(m): 10:38am On Nov 27, 2008
pilgrim.1:

It is easy to use verses to slur other people. . . way too easy. Take care of your own lies, then you can be in a better position to share truth.
I have decided to refrain from responding to your posts on this topic of tithes since you have chosen to be unreasonable and somehow obssesed about it. However i consider being called a lier very insultive as i pride myself in always speaking the truth no matter whose ox is gored. The fact that you don't agree with my posts(even though they are backed with scripture) does not give you the liberty to attack my person.
Re: Should We Tithe Before Or After Paying Tax? by pilgrim1(f): 10:50am On Nov 27, 2008
KunleOshob:

I have decided to refrain from responding to your posts on this topic of tithes since you have chosen to be unreasonable and somehow obssesed about it. However i consider being called a lier very insultive as i pride myself in always speaking the truth no matter whose ox is gored. The fact that you don't agree with my posts(even though they are backed with scripture) does not give you the liberty to attack my person.

I'm glad for your sake that you noticed and should take care of your own tent before you pelt others. Let me apologise for being that forward, I did not mean to come off the way you took it.

However, how do you think others would feel when you keep being so accusative every single time you display your obsession about this subject of tithes? How is it that you cannot share your own perspective without asserting that what others are saying differently from yours are tantamount to "all sorts of lies"? After having appealed to you to refrain from such attitudes, you felt quite at liberty to display your "love" in Christianity by constantly priding yourself with this same attitude. Kunle, truth was never given to believers to castigate or slur others, especially when you keep making the same assertions constantly and yet have never had the grace to understand that you might actually be mistaken in so many instances. If you're going to truly love and help others, you give yourself the grace to share your perspectives simply and without assertive accusations. It does not bless you or those you accuse when someone uses your own language on you, even if they say the same thing about speaking the "truth" regardless of whether your own ox is gored.

Cheers.
Re: Should We Tithe Before Or After Paying Tax? by dafidixone(m): 10:53am On Nov 27, 2008

Those who don't pay their tithes, as far as God is concern are robbers.  Do you want to make heaven and take as many as possible with you? Then do and preach the truth, robbers can not make heaven. cool
Re: Should We Tithe Before Or After Paying Tax? by KunleOshob(m): 11:00am On Nov 27, 2008
@Pilgrim.1
Even when i make accusations, the accusations are never personal, i don't direct it at anybody in particular i always try to generalize hence nobody can accuse me of insulting any body's person

dafidixone:

Those who don't pay their tithes, as far as God is concern are robbers. Do you want to make heaven and take as many as possible with you? Then do and preach the truth, robbers can not make heaven. cool
You can continue to spread this false hubris that only munguns would fall for. There is enough evidence from the bible that it is those that are deceiving God's children with false doctrine to make money that would not enter the kingdom of God. A word is enough for the wise. And if you are a tithe collecting/preaching Pastor i think the time is now to repent b4 it is too late.
Re: Should We Tithe Before Or After Paying Tax? by pilgrim1(f): 11:03am On Nov 27, 2008
KunleOshob:

@Pilgrim.1
Even when i make accusations, the accusations are never personal, i don't direct it at anybody in particular i always try to generalize hence nobody can accuse me of insulting any body's person.

@KunleOshob,

What justifies your accusations at anybody - whether generalised or personalised?
Re: Should We Tithe Before Or After Paying Tax? by KunleOshob(m): 11:11am On Nov 27, 2008
@mantraa
Here is a passage for you to help you understand the concept behind tithes better. The passage is the original instruction for tithes in the bible which defines it well unlike the malachi verse which does not define it and is open to manipulation and abuse. Pease read and digest it well. if you have any questions i would be glad to be of help cheesy

Deuteronomy 14:22-29:

The Giving of Tithes

22 “You must set aside a tithe of your crops—one-tenth of all the crops you harvest each year. 23 Bring this tithe to the designated place of worship—the place the Lord your God chooses for his name to be honored—and eat it there in his presence. This applies to your tithes of grain, new wine, olive oil, and the firstborn males of your flocks and herds. Doing this will teach you always to fear the Lord your God.

24 “Now when the Lord your God blesses you with a good harvest, the place of worship he chooses for his name to be honored might be too far for you to bring the tithe. 25 If so, you may sell the tithe portion of your crops and herds, put the money in a pouch, and go to the place the Lord your God has chosen. 26 When you arrive, you may use the money to buy any kind of food you want—cattle, sheep, goats, wine, or other alcoholic drink. Then feast there in the presence of the Lord your God and celebrate with your household. 27 And do not neglect the Levites in your town, for they will receive no allotment of land among you.

28 “At the end of every third year, bring the entire tithe of that year’s harvest and store it in the nearest town. 29 Give it to the Levites, who will receive no allotment of land among you, as well as to the foreigners living among you, the orphans, and the widows in your towns, so they can eat and be satisfied. Then the Lord your God will bless you in all your work

Most preachers would not refer to this passage which explains tithes well when teaching you about tithes. what do you think is the reason for this?

(1) (2) (Reply)

The True Power Of God - The Power Of Love / I Would Rather Marry An Atheist Than A Man From Another Faith / What Do You Believe?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 123
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.