Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,185 members, 7,780,273 topics. Date: Thursday, 28 March 2024 at 11:40 AM

Your Questions And Challenges About Farmlands - Agriculture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / Your Questions And Challenges About Farmlands (6321 Views)

Buy Very Fertile Farmlands From Us And Enjoy These Amazing Benefits / The Cheapest And Reliable Farmlands On Nairaland / Acres Of Virgin Farmlands In Ibadan (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Your Questions And Challenges About Farmlands by bamiwale: 1:05am On Nov 11, 2014
In my discussions with some Nairalanders who are interested in buying or leasing farmlands, several issues have come up that I hope may be helpful to a larger audience. I hope to bring some of them to the fore through this thread and sincerely hope we can address these issues together.

So this thread is created to raise questions, concerns, challenges and issues that pertain to getting of land for agricultural purposes.

As much as I will try to address issues here, it will be highly appreciated if the experienced farmers on this forum lend us their experience.

Let all benefit from your wealth of experience.
Re: Your Questions And Challenges About Farmlands by bamiwale: 1:12am On Nov 11, 2014
Question: How big is an acre of land?

This is a very common question I get asked, especially by aspiring and new farmers. I'm asked this almost everyday.

Now, the answer: An acre is an area of land that is 4046m2 or 43560ft2.
This means that if you multiply the length of the land with its breadth in meters, you get 4046; if you multiply using feet as your unit, you get 43560(assuming your land is perfectly rectangular).
If the land is not perfectly rectangular, as it normally happens, leave the calculations to the experts. But I'm sure you have an idea of what to expect.

Another way to grasp this is to know that an acre is about the same size as a standard football field (actually about 91% of the field).
Re: Your Questions And Challenges About Farmlands by RealChris(m): 5:39am On Nov 11, 2014
I used to hv issues with the community youths that sit at home doing nothing than to smoke, drink n wait for farmers they can oppress for settlement. I have paid like 10k for an acre of land which is not even up to d normal measurement cos they used eye gauge to measure it for me, they refused using a tape to measure it. And 2ndly cow disturbs a lot in d place I'm farming, they eat up pple cassava farm n also eat pple water melon. I planted fluted pumpkin leaf n i'm planning to relocate by next year to any other place around Benin that is good for vegetable farming n other crops with accurate measurement on lands without community boys or youths n cows disturbing. Anyone with good place should let me know, advice n suggestions also needed. thanks.
Re: Your Questions And Challenges About Farmlands by LONGFELLOW02(m): 8:18am On Nov 11, 2014
bamiwale:
Question: How big is an acre of land?

This is a very common question I get asked, especially by aspiring and new farmers. I'm asked this almost everyday.

Now, the answer: An acre is an area of land that is 4046m2 or 43560ft2.
This means that if you multiply the length of the land with its breadth in meters, you get 4046; if you multiply using feet as your unit, you get 43560(assuming your land is perfectly rectangular).
If the land is not perfectly rectangular, as it normally happens, leave the calculations to the experts. But I'm sure you have an idea of what to expect.

Another way to grasp this is to know that an acre is about the same size as a standard football field (actually about 91% of the field).

can you gv example of one hectac
Re: Your Questions And Challenges About Farmlands by LONGFELLOW02(m): 8:29am On Nov 11, 2014
RealChris:
I used to hv issues with the community youths that sit at home doing nothing than to smoke, drink n wait for farmers they can oppress for settlement. I have paid like 10k for an acre of land which is not even up to d normal measurement cos they used eye gauge to measure it for me, they refused using a tape to measure it. And 2ndly cow disturbs a lot in d place I'm farming, they eat up pple cassava farm n also eat pple water melon. I planted fluted pumpkin leaf n i'm planning to relocate by next year to any other place around Benin that is good for vegetable farming n other crops with accurate measurement on lands without community boys or youths n cows disturbing. Anyone with good place should let me know, advice n suggestions also needed. thanks.

Which community is that?
Re: Your Questions And Challenges About Farmlands by bamiwale: 8:37am On Nov 11, 2014
RealChris:

I deduce you have raised 3 important issues here. One, the issue of proper and accurate measurement. Two, "community boys" issue in Benin area. Three, finding another farmland.

The first issue you raised is part of land management practices that still bedevil our land system. This kind of thing depends on the area where your land is located. Harmful practices like these vary from place to place and are more prominent in certain places. The disturbing thing is that reporting to the police may not achieve anything positively. Anyone with experience of dealing with "community boys", Benin branch should please share with us. The solution is usually area specific and sometimes depend on understanding the local culture.

To the second issue. I will advise that you tailor your use of the land to animal husbandry as it seems animal rearing is more prominent in the area. It is easier to deal with the problem of animals eating your crops when there are more crop farmers than animal farmers. These issues are better resolved jointly.

About the land purchase, there are places I can suggest to you in Oyo and Osun states but for the distance from your location. Coming to farm in Oyo or Osun state is complete relocation and demands a lot from someone that is a bit far like you. I hope people that are closer to you who know places that does not have the issues you have raised above would kindly suggest such to you on this thread.
All the best.
Re: Your Questions And Challenges About Farmlands by LONGFELLOW02(m): 9:41am On Nov 11, 2014
LONGFELLOW02:

^^Bamiwale
Re: Your Questions And Challenges About Farmlands by bamiwale: 9:55am On Nov 11, 2014
LONGFELLOW02:

One hectare is an area of land covering 10000m2 or about 107640ft2

It's about two and half(2.5) acres.

1 Like

Re: Your Questions And Challenges About Farmlands by Pappyshoes(m): 10:58am On Nov 11, 2014
bamiwale:

About the land purchase, there are places I can suggest to you in Oyo and Osun states but for the distance from your location. Coming to farm in Oyo or Osun state is complete relocation and demands a lot from someone that is a bit far like you. I hope people that are closer to you who know places that does not have the issues you have raised above would kindly suggest such to you on this thread.
All the best.
Like where in Oyo or Osun? Thanks.
Re: Your Questions And Challenges About Farmlands by bamiwale: 11:46am On Nov 11, 2014
Pappyshoes:

Like where in Oyo or Osun? Thanks.

Akinyele and Egbeda local governments in Oyo; Ayedaade, Irewole and Isokan in Osun.
Re: Your Questions And Challenges About Farmlands by Pappyshoes(m): 3:38pm On Nov 11, 2014
bamiwale:

Akinyele and Egbeda local governments in Oyo; Ayedaade, Irewole and Isokan in Osun.

Thanks bro.
An issue I will like you to address is the issue of someone demanding huge amount of money from you before you can check the location of the land to rent/lease(as much as #10,000). I'm not advocating for charity but won't that be a discouraging factor for pursuance of a dream considering the fact that many people are still finding it hard to save money to buy land permanently?
Re: Your Questions And Challenges About Farmlands by bamiwale: 4:47pm On Nov 11, 2014
Pappyshoes:

Thanks bro.
An issue I will like you to address is the issue of someone demanding huge amount of money from you before you can check the location of the land to rent/lease(as much as #10,000). I'm not advocating for charity but won't that be a discouraging factor for pursuance of a dream considering the fact that many people are still finding it hard to save money to buy land permanently?

The issue of collecting money before taking people to inspect land is a way of mitigating cost of transportation on the part of the land sellers.
Some of the land sellers take tens of people for inspection every week. Imagine the accumulated cost of taking even 10 people to inspect land every week. However some sellers are more farmer friendly and charge for nothing more than the transportation cost of going for the inspection.

It takes understanding on the part of land sellers to minimize the burden on farmers. But I advise that prospective land buyers should be careful before giving out ones hard earned money to anyone in the name of land agent.
Re: Your Questions And Challenges About Farmlands by RealChris(m): 6:18pm On Nov 11, 2014
LONGFELLOW02:

Which community is that?

Its Obagie community. Where Presco is located
Re: Your Questions And Challenges About Farmlands by RealChris(m): 6:38pm On Nov 11, 2014
bamiwale:

I deduce you have raised 3 important issues here. One, the issue of proper and accurate measurement. Two, "community boys" issue in Benin area. Three, finding another farmland.

The first issue you raised is part of land management practices that still bedevil our land system. This kind of thing depends on the area where your land is located. Harmful practices like these vary from place to place and are more prominent in certain places. The disturbing thing is that reporting to the police may not achieve anything positively. Anyone with experience of dealing with "community boys", Benin branch should please share with us. The solution is usually area specific and sometimes depend on understanding the local culture.

To the second issue. I will advise that you tailor your use of the land to animal husbandry as it seems animal rearing is more prominent in the area. It is easier to deal with the problem of animals eating your crops when there are more crop farmers than animal farmers. These issues are better resolved jointly.

All the best.

I'm managing d size as it is for now and as for d youths, I hv settled their bush inspector n i'm now working without disturbance for now. I only hope that they shouldn't come again with another story cos i'm only into vegetable(fluted pumpkin) farming for now which I hv started harvesting with hope to expand to other crops and animals as time goes on.

For me, relocating is not an issue cos farming is what I want to do for a living provided the place is conducive for living with any form of disturbance.
How much is an acre or hectare of land in Oyo or Osun n what village is that? Are there cows in the bush that eat up crops? Are d lands there suitable for vegetable farming? will there b good source of water in the farm or close to the farm? what about quick access to market? thanks for your assistance Oga Bamiwale

I will b glad if I get a good place in Edo state though.
Re: Your Questions And Challenges About Farmlands by Pappyshoes(m): 8:04pm On Nov 11, 2014
bamiwale:

The issue of collecting money before taking people to inspect land is a way of mitigating cost of transportation on the part of the land sellers.
Some of the land sellers take tens of people for inspection every week. Imagine the accumulated cost of taking even 10 people to inspect land every week. However some sellers are more farmer friendly and charge for nothing more than the transportation cost of going for the inspection.

It takes understanding on the part of land sellers to minimize the burden on farmers. But I advise that prospective land buyers should be careful before giving out ones hard earned money to anyone in the name of land agent.
Thanks for your response. Regards.
Re: Your Questions And Challenges About Farmlands by bamiwale: 10:50pm On Nov 11, 2014
Pappyshoes:

Thanks for your response. Regards.
You are welcome.
Re: Your Questions And Challenges About Farmlands by bamiwale: 11:04pm On Nov 11, 2014
RealChris:

I'm managing d size as it is for now and as for d youths, I hv settled their bush inspector n i'm now working without disturbance for now. I only hope that they shouldn't come again with another story cos i'm only into vegetable(fluted pumpkin) farming for now which I hv started harvesting with hope to expand to other crops and animals as time goes on.

For me, relocating is not an issue cos farming is what I want to do for a living provided the place is conducive for living with any form of disturbance.
How much is an acre or hectare of land in Oyo or Osun n what village is that? Are there cows in the bush that eat up crops? Are d lands there suitable for vegetable farming? will there b good source of water in the farm or close to the farm? what about quick access to market? thanks for your assistance Oga Bamiwale

I will b glad if I get a good place in Edo state though.

Thank God you have devised a way of dealing with the boys. As per the price of an acre around here it varies depending on proximity to a major road, market, city, etc. Around Ibadan villages, the price can be as low as 120k or less in some places for an acre. However, some areas are more expensive in the range of 200k, or even 250k.
Re: Your Questions And Challenges About Farmlands by RealChris(m): 6:09am On Nov 12, 2014
bamiwale:

Thank God you have devised a way of dealing with the boys. As per the price of an acre around here it varies depending on proximity to a major road, market, city, etc. Around Ibadan villages, the price can be as low as 120k or less in some places for an acre. However, some areas are more expensive in the range of 200k, or even 250k.

Thanks Bamiwale. is tht amount for rent per year or for outright purchase?
Re: Your Questions And Challenges About Farmlands by bamiwale: 7:02am On Nov 12, 2014
RealChris:

Thanks Bamiwale. is tht amount for rent per year or for outright purchase?

Outright purchase.
Re: Your Questions And Challenges About Farmlands by Ademat7(m): 2:19pm On Nov 14, 2014
This discussion is making sense!
Re: Your Questions And Challenges About Farmlands by FarmTech(m): 5:00pm On Nov 14, 2014
So you guys means that there is no better way of dealing with these bush boys? In Anambra state, Peter Obi passes a law that states that anyonee caught harrassing land developer will pay N500,000 or be jailed for 5 years or both.

1 Like

Re: Your Questions And Challenges About Farmlands by bamiwale: 4:00pm On Nov 16, 2014
FarmTech:
So you guys means that there is no better way of dealing with these bush boys? In Anambra state, Peter Obi passes a law that states that anyonee caught harrassing land developer will pay N500,000 or be jailed for 5 years or both.

Promulgation and execution of laws like this will really go a long way in solving issues of "the boys" ( I think they are more or less the same with the omo-oniles) . I think states should make more efforts in making things comfortable for land users.

I seriously hope the example of Anambra state is adopted by others.
Re: Your Questions And Challenges About Farmlands by bamiwale: 1:05am On Nov 17, 2014
Question: How many plots of land are in an acre?

This depends on how the so called plot is measured in your area.

For a 50ft by 100ft plot, there are about 8.7 plots.
For a 50ft by 120ft plot, there are about 6 plots.
For a 100ft by 100ft plot, there are about 4.3 plots.

I hope this helps.

1 Like

Re: Your Questions And Challenges About Farmlands by Pappyshoes(m): 9:46am On Nov 17, 2014
bamiwale:
Question: How many plots of land are in an acre?

This depends on how the so called plot is measured in your area.

For a 50ft by 100ft plot, there are about 8.7 plots.
For a 50ft by 120ft plot, there are about 6 plots.
For a 100ft by 100ft plot, there are about 4.3 plots.

I hope this helps.
Thank you.

Pls, do you have land for rentage in Ogun? In case you don't, can you connect one to someone that has?
Re: Your Questions And Challenges About Farmlands by bamiwale: 10:34pm On Nov 17, 2014
Pappyshoes:

Thank you.

Pls, do you have land for rentage in Ogun? In case you don't, can you connect one to someone that has?

No I don't. Let's just throw it open to the house. Anyone that has a link to finding farmland for rental in Ogun state should kindly contribute.
Thanks.
Re: Your Questions And Challenges About Farmlands by bamiwale: 7:37pm On Nov 18, 2014
I have frequently told people that one of the best investments in the world will be farmland.- Jim Rogers.

Need farmland around Ibadan? Contact me on 07032179911.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Your Questions And Challenges About Farmlands by bamiwale: 8:27am On Nov 21, 2014
Buying Farmland: Things to Consider

Buying a farmland may seem like a commonplace decision to make, but I think it is important that we discuss some issues to consider before you make that decision. It's a decision that bears on your subsequent farming activities and must therefore be made carefully. Do not allow the emotional excitement of your interest in going into farming becloud your judgement on the realities that will impact on your future success. If you're planning on getting a farmland, let's roll.
Re: Your Questions And Challenges About Farmlands by world1(m): 8:35am On Nov 21, 2014
Pappyshoes:

Thanks bro.
Pappyshoes. Your signature had said it all. Dont ever pay anybody for such.
He/ she knows that the land you are about to visit will not be okay with you but he would have collected your 10k. How much is lease self? Nawa ooo
Re: Your Questions And Challenges About Farmlands by bamiwale: 8:59am On Nov 21, 2014
world1:

Pappyshoes. Your signature had said it all. Dont ever pay anybody for such.
He/ she knows that the land you are about to visit will not be okay with you but he would have collected your 10k. How much is lease self? Nawa ooo

Lol. Some people would have spent money that will even be enough to lease enough land on paying such agents. Prospective landowners really need to be careful.
Re: Your Questions And Challenges About Farmlands by bamiwale: 9:02am On Nov 21, 2014
Buying Farmland: Things to Consider

Ask Yourself a Question

You need to ask yourself a question. Why am I buying this land? Your answer to that question will help in deciding a lot about your purchase. If you are a start-up farmer, what type of farming are you planning to go into? For example, the kind of land required for poultry farming is different from that which is optimal for vegetable gardening. Things to look out for are different. We will consider some of these factors in subsequent posts.
Re: Your Questions And Challenges About Farmlands by hotmas911(m): 12:46pm On Nov 21, 2014
@OP thank you for doing this. May God bless your mind.
And anyone that needs large area for farmland as low as 60k per acre should contact 08060318769. Bb pin799F734A or mail dto911@gmail.com
Check my signature for more info

1 Like

Re: Your Questions And Challenges About Farmlands by bamiwale: 4:40pm On Nov 21, 2014
hotmas911:
@OP thank you for doing this. May God bless your mind.
And anyone that needs large area for farmland as low as 60k per acre should contact 08060318769. Bb pin799F734A or mail dto911@gmail.com
Check my signature for more info

Oga hotmas911, thanks.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Seed And Fertilizer Planter @reasonable Price / Poultry Farming / Grains Business And Profit Analysis

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 75
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.