Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,460 members, 7,808,641 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 02:39 PM

Do Teenagers Have Too Much Freedom This Days? - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Do Teenagers Have Too Much Freedom This Days? (893 Views)

I Am Not Igbo But Let Biafra Be Given There Freedom. / Why Do Many Married Men And Women Refuse Wearing Their Wedding Ring This Days. / Directed At Nigerian Teenagers In Diaspora (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Do Teenagers Have Too Much Freedom This Days? by convenantudoh(m): 7:21am On Nov 11, 2014
Do Teenagers have too much freedom?
Well I think no, I will discuss why people might take the responsibilities that restrict
teenager freedom, their expectations and
how it is just parent to afraid to let their
children go.
First of all teenagers have a lot to deal with and have a lot of responsibilities.
They have jobs, going through puberty.
And on top of that they are trying to
prove themselves responsible and grown
up to their parents. A lot more teenagers
are moving but younger and younger these days. And if parents would
understand them a bit more then it
wouldn't be so stressful for teenagers.
Secondly school takes away a lot of freedom. Freedom of time, originality,
choices, freedom of speech and even
freedom we have after school. "School
and homework take up most of the little
time I have. During work, school and
sleeping there's no time to do anything else. Not even in the holidays." Says Ryan
Yang, an average, normal 6th form, seventeen year old student from School of the Nations. This is important to know because most teenagers are
struggling with this "freedom." This
usually leading in poor school results, too
much pressure and teenagers dropping
out of school and society.
Parents hold back a lot of their children's
freedom. They like to make sure their
children do not make the mistakes they
made when they were younger, failing to
realize that they are holding their children
back from experience. Also parents have a lot of expectations for their children to
go to school, get good grades, not talk
back and to do what their told when their
told, so where is the freedom in that? I
think that parents are scared to let their
children into the world fearing that then will loose touch, or not surviving the
world. As Good Charlotte (the rock band) have quoted in one of their songs "The River" 'To the praying mother and the worried father let your children go if they come back, they'll come home stronger and if they don't you'll know.'
This is important because parents have to
know what their doing, or in some cases
what their not doing and that is not
giving insufficient amounts of liberty to
their young adults.
Some people say that too much freedom for a teenager will just give them room to cause trouble. I do not agree with this. Teenage freedom will
give them room and time to find who
they are, time to build an identity and to
leave the roost. To brake away from their
childish ways and become an adult. As my mother says, "You have to learn to fend for yourself sometimes, I don't want you to live with me until your thirty." Living with my mother until I am thirty could probably happen if I do not get enough freedom to learn the ropes of life.
So do teenagers have too much freedom?
Freedom to run loose, cause havoc, find
out who they are, and find their own
identity which is essential for becoming
an adult? No, they do not have too much
freedom; they have exactly the right amount they need in order to gain the
knowledge that will help them survive
when they have to fend for themselves.

(1) (Reply)

Viewpointnigeria Provides Pictures From Plateau Over 50 Years Ago / The Yoruba And Their Fungi / Zen Koan

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 14
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.