Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,318 members, 7,808,071 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 06:41 AM

Age Falsification: What Is Your Opinion? - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Age Falsification: What Is Your Opinion? (1511 Views)

I Need Your Opinion On This. / Pagan9ja What Is Your Opinion Of These Sahelian songs / Age Falsification. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Age Falsification: What Is Your Opinion? by ShaddyTerese(m): 8:41am On Nov 11, 2014
Hello everyone, I have been thinking a lot about this lately from an angle of intergrity and not righteousness. To me falsifying your age is the worst lie anyone should be telling about him or herself. Yet it is a common trend that people falsely "swear" to a false age for employments, to be able to serve on graduation, to stay longer in civil service and so on. To me I am never ashamed of my age and as a personal policy, if my age is above a particular previledge, I let it pass. So I want your public opinion on this matter, is it alright to falsify your age or you also share my view? Please let all comments be void of careless talk. Thanks.
Cc: is it possible to make this topic to feature on the front page? Will really appreciate it.
Re: Age Falsification: What Is Your Opinion? by GboyegaD(m): 8:50am On Nov 11, 2014
I don't believe nor support falsifying one's age however, some people do for reasons best known to them and I am sure many of them will tell you agree is just a number.
Re: Age Falsification: What Is Your Opinion? by Nobody: 11:24am On Nov 11, 2014
When one misses several job opportunities due to moral standards, they start questioning if those moral standards are worth upholding.

1 Like

Re: Age Falsification: What Is Your Opinion? by ShaddyTerese(m): 11:39am On Nov 11, 2014
charix:
When one misses several job opportunities due to moral standards, they start questioning if those moral standards are worth upholding.
your point is very valid. i have heard alot of people say age is just a number but like i earlier on said, it is a matter of personal opinion. but more than that, i think there is a legal consequence for age falsification.
Re: Age Falsification: What Is Your Opinion? by ShaddyTerese(m): 11:43am On Nov 11, 2014
GboyegaD:
I don't believe nor support falsifying one's age however, some people do for reasons best known to them and I am sure many of them will tell you agree is just a number.
it more than just a number to me. its about telling yourself a lie and living a lie completely.
Re: Age Falsification: What Is Your Opinion? by Nobody: 11:49am On Nov 11, 2014
ShaddyTerese:

your point is very valid. i have heard alot of people say age is just a number but like i earlier on said, it is a matter of personal opinion. but more than that, i think there is a legal consequence for age falsification.

You think but I've never seen. Your question reminds me of the man who chooses to remain honest in a corrupt working environment. He remains unpromoted while his colleagues soar to top positions and laugh behind his back just because although he knows backdoor methods, refuses to engage them. My school lecturers warned us not to be that man.
Re: Age Falsification: What Is Your Opinion? by ShaddyTerese(m): 2:52pm On Nov 11, 2014
charix:

You think but I've never seen. Your question reminds me of the man who chooses to remain honest in a corrupt working environment. He remains unpromoted while his colleagues soar to top positions and laugh behind his back just because although he knows backdoor methods, refuses to engage them. My school lecturers warned us not to be that man.
Its actualy a difficult world to live in when you are the only one seeing the wrong in what people do shaa.

2 Likes

Re: Age Falsification: What Is Your Opinion? by tpia6: 2:56pm On Nov 11, 2014
charix:

Should have changed jobs, hindsight is always 100%
Re: Age Falsification: What Is Your Opinion? by tpia6: 2:57pm On Nov 11, 2014
Topic

Does it really concern me per se.

If it does, then I'll have an opinion.

1 Like

Re: Age Falsification: What Is Your Opinion? by Karleb(m): 3:09pm On Nov 11, 2014
Atimes I even think maybe it's the norm over here in Nigeria, because almost everyone is falsifying his/her age.

Although I do it in the reverse when officiallity is not involved, but officially I use my real age! angry
Re: Age Falsification: What Is Your Opinion? by Nobody: 3:26pm On Nov 11, 2014
tpia6:

Should have changed jobs, hindsight is always 100%

A good option but in today's workplace you've to soil your hands one way or the other to rise above the rest.
Re: Age Falsification: What Is Your Opinion? by ShaddyTerese(m): 8:14pm On Nov 11, 2014
charix:

A good option but in today's workplace you've to soil your hands one way or the other to rise above the rest.
No doubt about that but integrity still pays though.
Re: Age Falsification: What Is Your Opinion? by ShaddyTerese(m): 8:15pm On Nov 11, 2014
charix:

Re: Age Falsification: What Is Your Opinion? by Nobody: 9:16pm On Nov 11, 2014
ShaddyTerese:

No doubt about that but integrity still pays though.

"Humility is over-rated" - Charix

[EDIT]

cc: Jarus, since he always has a reliable solution to questions pertaining employment.
Re: Age Falsification: What Is Your Opinion? by tpia6: 9:23pm On Nov 11, 2014
Nothing wrong with changing jobs if you are the only one who is not in the loop.

could be a sign you are not supposed to be there.

1 Like

Re: Age Falsification: What Is Your Opinion? by Nobody: 11:31pm On Nov 14, 2014
Age falsification is the new cool in Nigeria
Though it's a shameful thing to do, I really can't blame those who falsify their age
It's usually as a result of circumstances beyond them

There are jobs you can't apply for once you're over 30. Employers feel you are over-aged.
Have you seen adverts in national dailies with caption that only people under the age of 29 are eligible to apply?
Now tell me, why won't people "reduce their age"?

I know of someone who is in his early forties
After so many years of roaming the streets of Lagos, luck smiled on him and he got employed.
He had to obtain an affidavit because age wasn't on his side- he's a public servant
He falsified his age to avoid early retirement

1 Like

Re: Age Falsification: What Is Your Opinion? by Nobody: 5:22pm On Nov 20, 2014
Zeemoor:

Age falsification is the new cool in Nigeria.

It's usually as a result of circumstances beyond them.

There are jobs you can't apply for once you're over 30.

Have you seen adverts in national dailies with caption that only people under the age of 29 are eligible to apply?

The worst are jobs that specify "only four/ six years working experience needed". These employers're evil-minded and only want extremely qualified hands for the business. Ask me how fresh graduates're supposed to get jobs with requirements like that set in place?

Nigeria has an estimate of 1,000 unemployed graduates to every available job slot #fact so people with jobs're more than happy to serve.

(1) (Reply)

Yorubas In The House Please Tell Me The Meaning Of This Please / Some Chronicles About The Fulani-yoruba Tussle For Ilorin / Ijebu Ladies Are The Best!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 26
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.