Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,290 members, 7,807,982 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 01:18 AM

Lagosians Why Are You Silent In The Face Of Exploitation? - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Lagosians Why Are You Silent In The Face Of Exploitation? (898 Views)

(photos) Lagosians Wait Long Hours For BRT Bus / lagosians are extremely terrible drivers (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Lagosians Why Are You Silent In The Face Of Exploitation? by iamakbar(m): 1:32pm On Nov 11, 2014
I paid a brother a visit in lagos recently and it happened that I had to go to the filling station to get fuel for our generator. when I first got to the station, I was amazed and amused by what I thought was an hospitable service when the female attendant smilingly approached me and offered to carry my jerrican for me. she chatted amiably and asked me the amount of fuel I needed, I told her #1000 buh to my surprise she sold #950 worth. I asked why she stopped at 950 and she said #50 is for jerrican. I was like #50 for wetin na? No be me carry my keg com abi na wetin dz babe they follow me yarn sef. na so the babe sef chang am com dey ask if b JJC for lagos. I furiously stormed out of the petrol station and swore to always go to d petrol station with enuf change cos if had change dat day I would have given her #950 and see wat she wud have done. Fellow Nlanders, dz exploitation must stop!
When the aristocrats exploit the masses, we blame the class structure of the society.
what does one say when the exploit themselves? This must change and it starts with YOU and I[b]I paid a brother a visit in lagos recently and it happened that I had to go to the filling station to get fuel for our generator. when I first got to the station, I was amazed and amused by what I thought was an hospitable service when the female attendant smilingly approached me and offered to carry my jerrican for me. she chatted amiably and asked me the amount of fuel I needed, I told her #1000 buh to my surprise she sold #950 worth. I asked why she stopped at 950 and she said #50 is for jerrican. I was like #50 for wetin na? No be me carry my keg com abi na wetin dz babe they follow me yarn sef. na so the babe sef chang am com dey ask if b JJC for lagos. I furiously stormed out of the petrol station and swore to always go to d petrol station with enuf change cos if had change dat day I would have given her #950 and see wat she wud have done. Fellow Nlanders, dz exploitation must stop!
When the aristocrats exploit the masses, we blame the class structure of the society.
what does one say when the exploit themselves? This must change and it starts with YOU and I
Re: Lagosians Why Are You Silent In The Face Of Exploitation? by gede7744(f): 1:40pm On Nov 11, 2014
Welcome to Lagos. where anything goes!

1 Like

Re: Lagosians Why Are You Silent In The Face Of Exploitation? by lonelydora: 2:22pm On Nov 11, 2014
The origin of the N50 bribe was when the FG banned buying petrol in a keg, and asked people to come to filling stations with their generator. Being Nigerians we decided to bribe pump attendants to sell in a keg.

That was then when there was fire outbreak almost on daily basis in all parts of Nigeria. It shouldn't be applicable now because there's no law prohibiting it.
Re: Lagosians Why Are You Silent In The Face Of Exploitation? by mejai(m): 4:33pm On Nov 11, 2014
and I guess u spent more Dan #50 worth of energy to type dis.
Re: Lagosians Why Are You Silent In The Face Of Exploitation? by iamakbar(m): 6:53pm On Nov 11, 2014
lonelydora:
The origin of the N50 bribe was when the FG banned buying petrol in a keg, and asked people to come to filling stations with their generator. Being Nigerians we decided to bribe pump attendants to sell in a keg.

That was then when there was fire outbreak almost on daily basis in all parts of Nigeria. It shouldn't be applicable now because there's no law prohibiting it.

Abi now. our govt and masses unfriendly laws sha... anywayz thanks for the enlightenment buh since there isn't any prohibition of buying into keg, I guess this should stop ASAP. These attendants don turn d thing to something else.
Re: Lagosians Why Are You Silent In The Face Of Exploitation? by lonelydora: 9:12pm On Nov 11, 2014
iamakbar:

Abi now. our govt and masses unfriendly laws sha... anywayz thanks for the enlightenment buh since there isn't any prohibition of buying into keg, I guess this should stop ASAP. These attendants don turn d thing to something else.

It is individuals that will stop it. Buy petrol of 1000, attendant stops at 950, hand in 950 and leave or hand in 1000 demand for 50 naira. Simple.
Re: Lagosians Why Are You Silent In The Face Of Exploitation? by abatically(m): 1:22am On Nov 12, 2014
Actually there is still a ban on buying in jerry cans. But the problem with this country is making stewpid laws when not ready. This is why u can't go to NNPC mega station and buy In jerry can. In advanced countries u can't go to a gas station and buy fuel in jerry can. There are special cans that are used and they can be sold to u at the gas station.

But in a situation where there is no steady power supply and everybody has a generator set, how can this law uphold? Like I should bring my generator to the gas station every time I want to refuel? How logical. This is why even the lawmakers overlook this law and only try to enforce it whenever there is fuel scarcity. The gas stations then take the advantage to charge 50 naira whenever we buy in jerry can. Can we really blame them? Because to be sincere there's a law that prohibit buying in jerry cans.

If for example someone puts a 50 liter can of petrol in the booth of his car, and somehow he got involved in an accident and then BOOOM.. FIRE disaster. The lawmakers will come out and say they already banned buying of fuel in jerry cans even though they know it is impossible in this country (not until they provide constant power).

(1) (Reply)

Photo: 2015 Sienna VS 2015 Odyssey / Well Guarded Rolls-royce Phantom / Wobbly Toyota Corolla 03

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 23
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.