Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,298 members, 7,808,012 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 03:14 AM

Why Are "Most" Ladies Used To Waving With Their Left Hands? - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Why Are "Most" Ladies Used To Waving With Their Left Hands? (1843 Views)

Why It Is Offensive To Give/Receive With Your Left Hand? / Giving And Recieving With The Left Hand. / What Is So Wrong With Being Left Handed (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Are "Most" Ladies Used To Waving With Their Left Hands? by Nobody: 2:02pm On Nov 11, 2014
I'm trying to come to grips with the rationale behind "some" ladies preferring to wave at persons with their left hands. Is the act borne out of ignorance or pride? I'm no "culture police." I'm just a keen observer of the happenings around me. This is not meant to accuse anyone but to sample the opinions and views of everyone on Nairaland. To be frank, the act doesn't go down well with me. I tend to see it as a cultural faux pas. So, do kindly share your opinions about your take on this issue. Thanks.
Re: Why Are "Most" Ladies Used To Waving With Their Left Hands? by Bunchersstab(m): 2:50pm On Nov 11, 2014
i neva liked it or will eva cheesy

i tot am d only person who noticed it lipsrsealed

1 Like

Re: Why Are "Most" Ladies Used To Waving With Their Left Hands? by TeamSimple(m): 2:57pm On Nov 11, 2014
Sense dey refuse to get..those are the daughters of EVE.

1 Like

Re: Why Are "Most" Ladies Used To Waving With Their Left Hands? by Elcemento(m): 5:54pm On Nov 11, 2014
I guess it's because they have their handbag on the right one. undecided undecided

CHECK OUT MY SIGNATURE!!

1 Like

Re: Why Are "Most" Ladies Used To Waving With Their Left Hands? by Nobody: 7:33pm On Nov 11, 2014
BraveHrtVeteran:
I'm trying to come to grips with the rationale behind "some" ladies preferring to wave at persons with their left hands. Is the act borne out of ignorance or pride? I'm no "culture police." I'm just a keen observer of the happenings around me. This is not meant to accuse anyone but to sample the opinions and views of everyone on Nairaland. To be frank, the act doesn't go down well with me. I tend to see it as a cultural faux pas. So, do kindly share your opinions about your take on this issue. Thanks.
Whats wrong with that? Details please.
Re: Why Are "Most" Ladies Used To Waving With Their Left Hands? by Nobody: 8:54pm On Nov 11, 2014
Bunchersstab:

And what if the person is left-handed?
Re: Why Are "Most" Ladies Used To Waving With Their Left Hands? by Bunchersstab(m): 1:01am On Nov 12, 2014
tongue
Tashamania:

dats an assumtion, most women dat does dat do it 4 effizzy & it seems disrespectful tongue
Re: Why Are "Most" Ladies Used To Waving With Their Left Hands? by Truckpusher(m): 1:04am On Nov 12, 2014
Tashamania:

I knew that left handed folks won't take this thread lightly. grin

Your left hand sha - Thank God say you no be boxer. cheesy
Re: Why Are "Most" Ladies Used To Waving With Their Left Hands? by Nobody: 2:15am On Nov 12, 2014
Bunchersstab:
tongue dats an assumtion, most women dat does dat do it 4 effizzy & it seems disrespectful tongue

Okay..assumption, right?
But there are actually people that are lefthanded.
I guess those kinda people are excluded in this case wink
Re: Why Are "Most" Ladies Used To Waving With Their Left Hands? by Nobody: 2:16am On Nov 12, 2014
Truckpusher:
I knew that left handed folks won't take this thread lightly. grin

Your left hand sha - Thank God say you no be boxer. cheesy

grin grin angry
Re: Why Are "Most" Ladies Used To Waving With Their Left Hands? by Bunchersstab(m): 6:33am On Nov 12, 2014
Tashamania:

Okay..assumption, right?
But there are actually people that are lefthanded.
I guess those kinda people are excluded in this case wink
I can manage to understand with dos 1s.
Re: Why Are "Most" Ladies Used To Waving With Their Left Hands? by Nobody: 9:33am On Nov 12, 2014
Bunchersstab:
I can manage to understand with dos 1s.

you are too strict with understanding tongue
Re: Why Are "Most" Ladies Used To Waving With Their Left Hands? by Exjoker(m): 1:03pm On Nov 12, 2014
Bunchersstab:

Its a different story with me cause I never notice that...maybe its not a general thing yet
Re: Why Are "Most" Ladies Used To Waving With Their Left Hands? by destante(f): 12:22am On Nov 13, 2014
weird observation sha.
except the lady is left handed or she has too much stocks in her right hand and less in the left, why would she?
again, left hand or right hand, its not a handshake, its a wave. So why should it matter.
Re: Why Are "Most" Ladies Used To Waving With Their Left Hands? by Bunchersstab(m): 7:07am On Nov 13, 2014
Exjoker:
Its a different story with me cause I never notice that...maybe its not a general thing yet
Are u in naija
Infact, dey like shaking hands wit dat left hand as well.

1 Like

Re: Why Are "Most" Ladies Used To Waving With Their Left Hands? by Bunchersstab(m): 1:46pm On Nov 13, 2014
tongue tongue
Tashamania:

you are too strict with understanding tongue
grin grin grin tongue tongue
Re: Why Are "Most" Ladies Used To Waving With Their Left Hands? by Nobody: 10:07am On Nov 14, 2014
Because "most" of the time they're carrying their handbags with their RIGHT HAND!
Re: Why Are "Most" Ladies Used To Waving With Their Left Hands? by Nobody: 10:55pm On Nov 14, 2014
So some people consider waving of the left hand disrespectful?
Just so you know, some of us are left-handers and our condition is genetic, we can't help it
Re: Why Are "Most" Ladies Used To Waving With Their Left Hands? by Nobody: 5:37am On Dec 29, 2014
muafrika:
Whats wrong with that? Details please.

The left hand is usually considered unclean in Africa and some other parts of the world. It is so considered because it's often subjected to areas which in normal instances you wouldn't want to make use of the right hand (such as picking up litters from the ground, cleaning of the rear after visiting the gents/ladies and the like). This is why it is a huge sign of disrespect to greet or wave someone with the left hand especially when the right hand is fully in place. The only exception however, are people without the right hand or when the right hand side is extremely busy and the person you are waving knows.
Re: Why Are "Most" Ladies Used To Waving With Their Left Hands? by Nobody: 5:42am On Dec 29, 2014
Tashamania:

This is understandable. It's the genes at work here.
Re: Why Are "Most" Ladies Used To Waving With Their Left Hands? by Nobody: 5:56am On Dec 29, 2014
destante:
weird observation sha.
except the lady is left handed or she has too much stocks in her right hand and less in the left, why would she?
again, left hand or right hand, its not a handshake, its a wave. So why should it matter.

Weird observation indeed! Excluding the naturally left-handed and those with weighty stocks on their right hands, some still consciously/unconsciously prefer the use of the left hand in waving. I think it should matter because both (handshakes and waves) are considered as forms of greeting.
Re: Why Are "Most" Ladies Used To Waving With Their Left Hands? by Nobody: 6:46am On Dec 29, 2014
BraveHrtVeteran:

The left hand is usually considered unclean in Africa and some other parts of the world. It is so considered because it's often subjected to areas which in normal instances you wouldn't want to make use of the right hand (such as picking up litters from the ground, cleaning of the rear after visiting the gents/ladies and the like). This is why it is a huge sign of disrespect to greet or wave someone with the left hand especially when the right hand is fully in place. The only exception however, are people without the right hand or when the right hand side is extremely busy and the person you are waving knows.
Thanks,
Re: Why Are "Most" Ladies Used To Waving With Their Left Hands? by Nobody: 2:41am On Jan 03, 2015
muafrika:
Thanks,

You're welcome!

(1) (Reply)

Thrilling Facts You Don't Know About Africa. / Stormrex Featuring Olamide - Walk With Me / Photos From Welcome Party For The Olu Of Warri In London

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 23
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.