Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,946 members, 7,806,740 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 10:15 PM

This Begging Business! - Nairaland / General - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / This Begging Business! (17999 Views)

This Is What Someone Begging For Money In The Church Through Whatsapp got (pix) / Allen Iverson, Former NBA Wealthy Star, Now A Pauper Begging For $1 On The Stree (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

This Begging Business! by Smartiegurl(f): 6:35pm On Nov 11, 2014
Just recently, at one of the parks in Onitsha on my way to Aba. I watched with keen interest as three suit-wearing and bible-clutching men compete amongst one another the first to pray for the occupants of the buses b4 their departures. Then, one came to our bus and prayed for forgiveness of sins, for success in our various endeavours and also for journey mercies. "Amen!" we chorused at required intervals. Then he asked for money to finance his good works for God. He left for other buses to win more souls (for himself i guess) and then another came with an even more powerful lines of prayers. Again, we (they) made contributions for his services.

This style of money-making by such "prayer-peddlars" has worsened over the years. Their modus operandi vary, for eg, one may board the bus along other passengers. He preaches, prays and collects his revenue on transit and then alights at a given junction making way for another of his cronies to join the bus as the journey continues.

This "disguised" begging business must be very lucrative especially when one considers the risk involved and skills exhibited by such practioners. Some time ago, I equally saw some physically challenged (if truly they were) persons on their wheel-chairs lined up at the middle of the Niger-bridge express way chasing after motorists moving at top speeds for alms.

The list for such begging excesses abound!
Initially, i'm usually dumb-founded whenever i come across these brazen display. But on the realization that this is Nigeria where anything can happen, i now look at them in awe! Have u witnessed any other begging ploy? Pls share ur story.

6 Likes

Re: This Begging Business! by tunnyl(m): 6:56pm On Nov 11, 2014
Thats Nigerians for you. Everyone is using one means or the other to fend for themselves.

*modified* i have checked my bank account balance and no amount was added. So my question is "Whats special bout being on Nairaland's frontpage or FTC"? angry

13 Likes 1 Share

Re: This Begging Business! by Craigston: 9:03pm On Nov 11, 2014
Begging, or alms acquisition, is a lucrative business, especially in a religiously dense and tense society as the one we live in.
A friend once share his experience with me, and it goes thus:
On a cool morning on his way to work, he was approached by a man who requested for a favor or #50 to pay as bus fare to his destination. He was eager, maybe, to play the good samaritan, but what he had on him was #200 note. He explained that to the man but the reply he got opened his eyes: the man told him 'no worry, I get change'. He went ahead to give the man #200 and received #150 from the man. Business with no service.
Later that evening, we saw the man at the same junction waiting patiently for his next customer.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: This Begging Business! by Smartiegurl(f): 4:37am On Nov 12, 2014
Craigston:
Begging, or alms acquisition, is a lucrative business, especially in a religiously dense and tense society as the one we live in.
A friend once share his experience with me, and it goes thus:
On a cool morning on his way to work, he was approached by a man who requested for a favor or #50 to pay as bus fare to his destination. He was eager, maybe, to play the good samaritan, but what he had on him was #200 note. He explained that to the man but the reply he got opened his eyes: the man told him 'no worry, I get change'. He went ahead to give the man #200 and received #150 from the man. Business with no service.
Later that evening, we saw the man at the same junction waiting patiently for his next customer.
you can imagine what's happening in our society these days.......God save us
Re: This Begging Business! by Smartiegurl(f): 4:38am On Nov 12, 2014
tunnyl:
Thats Nigerians for you. Everyone is using one means or the other to fend for themselves.
exactly....

2 Likes

Re: This Begging Business! by Nobody: 7:51am On Nov 12, 2014
Once had a funny encounter with one. I'll be back
Re: This Begging Business! by Smartiegurl(f): 8:35am On Nov 12, 2014
rationalmind:
Once had a funny encounter with one. I'll be back
patiently waiting...

2 Likes

Re: This Begging Business! by hippyj(m): 9:50am On Nov 12, 2014
Smartiegurl:
patiently waiting...

hope you don't mind if i join the queue .

1 Like

Re: This Begging Business! by Smartiegurl(f): 11:58am On Nov 12, 2014
hippyj:

hope you don't mind if i join the queue .
is allowed dear

1 Like

Re: This Begging Business! by Craigston: 12:16pm On Nov 12, 2014
Smartiegurl:
It's really terrible.
A man was caught in an act more terrible than this. He had some fake #1000 notes and he used them to buy things from people. He would not buy much: just #100 recharge card. So he gives you a counterfeit #1000 note and you give him original notes. He would have made #900 free then.

2 Likes

Re: This Begging Business! by Smartiegurl(f): 3:09pm On Nov 12, 2014
Craigston:

It's really terrible.
A man was caught in an act more terrible than this. He had some fake #1000 notes and he used them to buy things from people. He would not buy much: just #100 recharge card. So he gives you a counterfeit #1000 note and you give him original notes. He would have made #900 free then.
woa! And that's ridiculous.....unfair to whoever would fall for that trap.

stil gon continue praying that God should help us all...
Re: This Begging Business! by sinequanon: 3:20pm On Nov 12, 2014
In Europe, you have gypsies who sell "good luck charms".

Some people buy because the fear that not doing so would bring bad luck.

Also India, Jainism is an ancient religion in which monks survive entirely on "donations" from followers of the faith.

I am sure that there are other examples worldwide.

I think it is a matter between the suppliers and consumers among those who engage in such spiritual contracts.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: This Begging Business! by AlfaSeltzer(m): 4:00pm On Nov 12, 2014
Some Nigerian beggars resort to fear mongering and threats. Once, one entered our bus, told us a story of how he used to be an armed robber but Jesus saved him and he repented. Then he asked for money. When people were reluctant to give him money, he said that if he were still an armed robber and carrying a gun, all of us would be giving him thousands but now that he is asking gently no one wants to give. He said it in a very menacing tone and people started giving him money.
Another time, I was at a motor park and one came and told me that he is a local dibia and that he has just seen the evil that my enemies have planned for me in the village. He said I should give him 5000 naira there and then so he can buy things to undo the village juju. He said if I didn't undo the juju, very bad things will happen to me that month.

31 Likes 1 Share

Re: This Begging Business! by engrtee(f): 4:36pm On Nov 12, 2014
blessed aare those who beg

1 Like 1 Share

Re: This Begging Business! by Craigston: 4:41pm On Nov 12, 2014
Smartiegurl:
woa! And that's ridiculous.....unfair to whoever would fall for that trap.

stil gon continue praying that God should help us all...
And let all say 'Amen'. Too many of them happening. In a school, an english teacher extorted N200 from each of the students in a class of about 60 students, promising them the school will give them a new english textbook. After days of waiting for the surprise textbook, a parent decided to ask the school authorities why the delay. Then, the man was summoned. You know what happened. He was fired.
Lately, I saw a poster with his photo on it, inviting yet another set of unsuspecting children to a motivational talk or something like that.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: This Begging Business! by Smartiegurl(f): 1:54am On Nov 13, 2014
Craigston:

And let all say 'Amen'. Too many of them happening. In a school, an english teacher extorted N200 from each of the students in a class of about 60 students, promising them the school will give them a new english textbook. After days of waiting for the surprise textbook, a parent decided to ask the school authorities why the delay. Then, the man was summoned. You know what happened. He was fired.
Lately, I saw a poster with his photo on it, inviting yet another set of unsuspecting children to a motivational talk or something like that.
now this is called duping.....I hope he get caught again nd this time without much mercy....
Re: This Begging Business! by Smartiegurl(f): 1:56am On Nov 13, 2014
AlfaSeltzer:
Some Nigerian beggars resort to fear mongering and threats. Once, one entered our bus, told us a story of how he used to be an armed robber but Jesus saved him and he repented. Then he asked for money. When people were reluctant to give him money, he said that if he were still an armed robber and carrying a gun, all of us would be giving him thousands but now that he is asking gently no one wants to give. He said it in a very menacing tone and people started giving him money.
Another time, I was at a motor park and one came and told me that he is a local dibia and that he has just seen the evil that my enemies have planned for me in the village. He said I should give him 5000 naira there and then so he can buy things to undo the village juju. He said if I didn't undo the juju, very bad things will happen to me that month.
lolzzz....permit me to laugh cuz this is laughable. Someone telling me some spiritual blah blah......before I start. Tell us, did you succumb to his trick?

1 Like

Re: This Begging Business! by Nobody: 9:01am On Nov 13, 2014
Ok, I'm back.

There's this friend of mine who studied philosophy and religion back then in school. He was the one who introduced me to arguments against the existence of God.

On this day, we both went to the market to get some stuffs. While coming back, a man started preaching in the bus. He had barely finished preaching when he started asking for money.

As always, people were reluctant to give him money. So he started seeing visions grin. In his own words, "I see lawyers in this bus, I see doctors in this bus, I see Engineers in this bus"

My friend retorted, oga, so you no dey see farmer for here, you no see bricklayer for here. Bricklayer no be person? grin

Everyone in the bus started laughing, I can't begin to imagine the embarrassment he suffered.

24 Likes

Re: This Begging Business! by Smartiegurl(f): 12:35am On Nov 14, 2014
rationalmind:
Ok, I'm back.

There's this friend of mine who studied philosophy and religion back then in school. He was the one who introduced me to arguments against the existence of God.

On this day, we both went to the market to get some stuffs. While coming back, a man started preaching in the bus. He had barely finished preaching when he started asking for money.

As always, people were reluctant to give him money. So he started seeing visions grin. In his own words, "I see lawyers in this bus, I see doctors in this bus, I see Engineers in this bus"

My friend retorted, oga, so you no dey see farmer for here, you no see bricklayer for here. Bricklayer no be person? grin

Everyone in the bus started laughing, I can't begin to imagine the embarrassment he suffered.
smiles.....hilarious really. I think that's what most of them deserve.

I hav also met some who use prison as an excuse. The beg for alms saying they just got out of prison nd needs help.
On a very gud day....during one of their usual parole, a customer raised his voice on the man asking him if he gets out of prison every year....in annoyance saying he has seen him a number of times claiming he just got out of prison. You can imagine the scenario that day. He left embarrassed.
I mean most of them just deserve a little ill treatment like this...cuz we are being taken as fools.

13 Likes

Re: This Begging Business! by Alexk2(m): 7:01am On Nov 14, 2014
i'll brb to share my experience.
Re: This Begging Business! by Smartiegurl(f): 12:43am On Nov 15, 2014
Alexk2:
i'll brb to share my experience.
waiting patiently

1 Like

Re: This Begging Business! by Nobody: 7:17am On Nov 15, 2014
Smartiegurl:
It's so bad, some people especially women disguise as orphanage workers to beg money and at the end of the day, the money won't get to the orphanage.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: This Begging Business! by Lordseyad(m): 2:01pm On Nov 15, 2014
k bro
Re: This Begging Business! by Librate(m): 2:02pm On Nov 15, 2014
Booked
Re: This Begging Business! by okpismart: 2:05pm On Nov 15, 2014
These days the very smart beggars just go and sit near ATM machines, so as you are collecting, you are dropping for them grin grin

JUST SAW THIS NEWS AGAIN ABOUT ASUU OOO

ASUU Warming up For Another Indefinite Strike Action
Source: http://.com.ng/index.php/more-news/education-news/item/1344-ASUU-warming-up-for-another-indefinite-strike-action

1 Like 1 Share

Re: This Begging Business! by Nobody: 2:05pm On Nov 15, 2014
Hmmm
If you have kwanu you give them. Abi do people who beg have money and still beg? Will you die if you give them 100 or 200 naira which is even not enough to continue these life? Give them biko...we have no reason whatsoever no to give to them.... Our concern should n't be if it is a business or not but that they asked and we did give.
I am only against those once that use force or the name of God to say God said you will this or that if you don't give me or i had a vision... You go see vision well well but my sheshe no go reach your hand....
THANK YOU.

2 Likes

Re: This Begging Business! by Godisnear(m): 2:05pm On Nov 15, 2014
Gfsyu

1 Like

Re: This Begging Business! by skubido(m): 2:06pm On Nov 15, 2014
Ok boss
Re: This Begging Business! by dedons: 2:06pm On Nov 15, 2014
Story time...

Before you post anything here...

Do not fail to remember that all liars will find themselves in the lake of fire...

I dey VIP seat waiting for the next story cool
Re: This Begging Business! by ichommy(m): 2:06pm On Nov 15, 2014
I saw One guy @ Sango Otta one day, he said he came to see someone but d person is not around, his from Egbeda, his sweating seriously. He said he needs 100 naira for T fare balance. I gave i also bought a bottle of Lacasera for him. When am heading back dis same guy stop me again with anoda story. I shake my haed and ask him i tot i just game u 100 naira with drink now? Shame catch him and he walk away. Naija eh cheesy

6 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Pictures Of Lawrence Anini And Osunbor: Anyone? / Very Short Funny Comedy By A Nairalander / Who Is This Mc Oluomo In Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.