Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,927 members, 7,806,692 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 08:59 PM

Head Of The Family - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Head Of The Family (2786 Views)

Re : Man Is Not The Head Of The Family / Men Are NOT The HEAD Of The Family! Read My Reason! / Why Is The Man The Head Of The Family? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Head Of The Family by Nobody: 4:46pm On Nov 12, 2014
We have had many discussions on leadership in families and I am not yet tired of them. If you are not yet tired either, you are invited to contribute to this thread. Everybody is.

I don't want to discuss who the head of the family should be. Let each family decide for themselves.

I just want to know what it means to be the head of a family in your view.

- How would you explain to someone who comes from another planet what the head of the family is?

- Which responsibilities / duties and privileges does it entail in your opinion?

- What makes the person different from other family members?

- In which situations specifically would the head have to make the final decision?

Thanks for your contributions and please be friendly. Peace. wink
Re: Head Of The Family by askralph(m): 4:54pm On Nov 12, 2014
I feel it's the person that sacrifices the most but complains the least. the person that is selfless and does anything to make sure the rest of the family is ok. Of cos the financial supporter seeing that it is a crucial part of life. That person who is ready to starve for others to eat. It means a lot to be the head of the family. I can't finish talking about it right here.

visit my blog by clicking on my signature. It isn't about gossip and the rest. I have touched a couple of lives and helped people through that means. just look at it and you will get the gist. i promise you won't regret clicking the link. Thanks and tell friends if you find it helpful.

1 Like

Re: Head Of The Family by Ambrogio(m): 5:01pm On Nov 12, 2014
I shouldn't be doing this, but experience says it's better to book space grin
Re: Head Of The Family by Nobody: 5:18pm On Nov 12, 2014
Every family has the right to run their household how they deem fit.
For instance, My hubby and I have the same educational discipline, experience in same sector and basically know same thing. Plus or minus.

How ever, we run our home the best we can. Sometimes, If he was trying to fix an equipment and its taking a long time or he mistakenly skipped a step and during the trouble shoot, i found out the problem, i will be like ' whos the boss', 'whos your mama' cheesy

Same goes to him.

In terms of child care, i'm more experienced than him, thanks to large family i came from. So he most times abide to the rule because he knows and trust his wife in that department.

In terms of electrical installations, mechanical and manual engineering works, he is stronger in that area, so i listen and follow him. Also chip in my own experience.

We never for once start shouting, you are the neck, nor your are the head. We practically know where we fill in.

Its all about joint effort for better good of our home kiss

To me thats what marriage is all about. Collective effort to better your home.
There is a saying that two GOOD heads are better than one. Emphasis on good heads. (two coconut heads are not even close to one good head wink

However as a wife, if i had nothing to bring to the table, i can as well relax and follow all the instructions he had to give.

Very simple.

As per the bible said, forget it, I have decided to follow his path and keep my Christianity aside for logical reasoning.

My story.

9 Likes

Re: Head Of The Family by Nobody: 5:19pm On Nov 12, 2014
hello carefree smiley
Re: Head Of The Family by Nobody: 5:32pm On Nov 12, 2014
Chillisauce:
Every family has the right to run their household how they deem fit.
For instance, My hubby and I have the same educational discipline, experience in same sector and basically know same thing. Plus or minus.

How ever, we run our home the best we can. Sometimes, If he was trying to fix an equipment and its taking a long time or he mistakenly skipped a step and during the trouble shoot, i found out the problem, i will be like ' whos the boss', 'whos your mama' cheesy

Same goes to him.

In terms of child care, i'm more experienced than him, thanks to large family i came from. So he most times abide to the rule because he knows and trust his wife in that department.

In terms of electrical installations, mechanical and manual engineering works, he is stronger in that area, so i listen and follow him. Also chip in my own experience.

We never for once start shouting, you are the neck, nor your are the head. We practically know where we fill in.

Its all about joint effort for better good of our home kiss

To me thats what marriage is all about. Collective effort to better your home.
There is a saying that two GOOD heads are better than one. Emphasis on good heads. (two coconut heads are not even close to one good head wink

However as a wife, if i had nothing to bring to the table, i can as well relax and follow all the instructions he had to give.

Very simple.

As per the bible said, forget it, I have decided to follow his path and keep my Christianity aside for logical reasoning.

My story.

I love this post.

You seem to be a lucky woman. smiley smiley smiley
Re: Head Of The Family by Nobody: 5:32pm On Nov 12, 2014
Chillisauce:
hello carefree smiley

Hello Chilli! smiley kiss kiss
Re: Head Of The Family by Nobody: 5:35pm On Nov 12, 2014
carefreewannabe:

I love this post.

My dear, Just taking life easy.
kiss

Thanks dear.
Re: Head Of The Family by Nobody: 5:42pm On Nov 12, 2014
Chillisauce:

My dear, Just taking life easy.
kiss

Thanks dear.

And with lots of humor. Pass these traits on to your children. smiley
This could be one of your greatest gifts to them. wink wink
Re: Head Of The Family by Arsenate(m): 6:08pm On Nov 12, 2014
carefreewannabe:

I love this post.

LUCKY...hmmm. but same can't be said of her hubbyy....hehehehe
na joke ooo...before y'all descent on little me

1 Like

Re: Head Of The Family by Nobody: 6:16pm On Nov 12, 2014
I completely agree with chillisauce.
Re: Head Of The Family by Nobody: 6:20pm On Nov 12, 2014
carefreewannabe:

My dear, that's how life should be.
Folks here r too serious. Always too serious.

1 Like

Re: Head Of The Family by Nobody: 6:25pm On Nov 12, 2014
carefreewannabe:

My dear, they are comedians already.

Dont mind my humor, my male Nigerian colleagues dey dodge me. I give them sh1t, but overall, they like working with me.

1 Like

Re: Head Of The Family by Nobody: 6:29pm On Nov 12, 2014
moca:
I completely agree with chillisauce.

Thanks dear, everyone has someone for them.
The ones that wants zombie wives can go for it.
The ones that wants donkey, find your level
while the ones that wants owl, know what they are getting.

If you find that one who treats people with respect regardless of status, gender, race etc. Dont hold back, go for it.

6 Likes

Re: Head Of The Family by Nobody: 6:31pm On Nov 12, 2014
Make i give way abeg!
More inputs welcomed, chillisauce is out. Thread continues.
Re: Head Of The Family by damiso(f): 7:07pm On Nov 12, 2014
I believe the head of our household is my husband because I am a Christian and that belief is an offshoot of my faith.

That said its not something that we constantly have to talk about or dwell on or that he has to keep shouting 'I am the head'.It also does not mean he gets to take all decisions unilaterally.We just get on with family life and work as a team to get stuff done.

We both have our strengths and weaknesses and we complement each other to work for the good of the family and home we are building.You will often hear him say 'I need to ask my wife as she is better than me when it comes to that' I think he even says it more than I do sef.He trusts my judgement (intially I used to say I told you so ALOT tongue but I think I have matured abit now) and even though sometimes he does not agree with my POV alot of times I find out we tend to do things by compromising.I will give an example I am the one who is more hung up on the kids doing certain activities and I tend to drive my daughter alot.He used to leave me to it as he feels I have a better grasp of the educational system but he had to step in tell me off about me constantly being on the poor girl's case.He was the one who cancelled out my 1hr compulsory school work everyday after school (after swimming, kumon, ballet and soon drama school) we are even still arguing on whether to cut back on extra curricular she is not enjoying e.g Kumon (trust her to not enjoy the educational one tongue).He did not decree No more kumon as the head we just talk about it and both marshall our points and even I realised I had to chill as I guess the kind of family I come from makes me kinda hung up on educational achievements.

5 Likes

Re: Head Of The Family by bennyrazz: 7:29pm On Nov 12, 2014
space booked till further notice. Warning : Military Zone keep off. Further warning: Do not urinate here. Additional warning: This space is not for sale beware of 419'ers
Re: Head Of The Family by Nobody: 7:50pm On Nov 12, 2014
^^guy u dey vex o!
All these warnings just for space?
Okpari o cheesy
Re: Head Of The Family by edwife(f): 7:53pm On Nov 12, 2014
@Chillisauce and Damiso kiss kiss kiss

Nothing to add,you ladies have said it all...

1 Like

Re: Head Of The Family by Rhukie(f): 8:07pm On Nov 12, 2014
bennyrazz:
space booked till further notice. Warning : Military Zone keep off. Further warning: Do not urinate here. Additional warning: This space is not for sale beware of 419'ers
oga, dis piece of land must be really special ooooo. I hope you have C of O before Omo onile come and bamboozle you tongue
Re: Head Of The Family by lilmax(m): 8:15pm On Nov 12, 2014
Only here for the comments
Re: Head Of The Family by Nobody: 8:18pm On Nov 12, 2014
carefreewannabe:

I don't want to discuss who the head of the family should be. Let each family decide for themselves.
i agree with this. People have been living their lives according to what society considers to be morally correct, instead of living their lives according to what suits them best.

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Head Of The Family by bennyrazz: 8:25pm On Nov 12, 2014
Rhukie:
oga, dis piece of land must be really special ooooo. I hope you have C of O before Omo onile come and bamboozle you tongue
Deed of assignment, R of O, C of O very intact grin I recently purchased that gun they call pump action & a very sharp cutlass cuz of omoniles. Any encroachment by them will result to their heads falling off from their necks grin moca, na so we see am o. For naija, if you no sabi wear pant, na pant go dey wear you o grin
Re: Head Of The Family by Nobody: 8:50pm On Nov 12, 2014
bennyrazz:
Deed of assignment, R of O, C of O very intact grin I recently purchased that gun they call pump action & a very sharp cutlass cuz of omoniles. Any encroachment by them will result to their heads falling off from their necks grin moca, na so we see am o. For naija, if you no sabi wear pant, na pant go dey wear you o grin
Chei! Guy u made my day cheesy
What a sweet tonic cheesy
Abeg, we want more of this ur wonderful side. D best! kiss

Carefree, ur thread has gone to d wind tongue

Eehe, why did u change back to carefreewanabee?
D other one brings the humurous side of u more than this one. This one na so so argument and lecture everytime tongue
Abeg,I want carefreesmile back.
Re: Head Of The Family by bennyrazz: 9:19pm On Nov 12, 2014
moca:

this side of me have retired, it is now collecting pension cheesy
Re: Head Of The Family by Nobody: 9:31pm On Nov 12, 2014
Mondisweets:
i agree with this. People have been living their lives according to what society considers to be morally correct, instead of living their lives according to what suits them best.

True. wink
Re: Head Of The Family by Nobody: 9:34pm On Nov 12, 2014
damiso:
I believe the head of our household is my husband because I am a Christian and that belief is an offshoot of my faith.

That said its not something that we constantly have to talk about or dwell on or that he has to keep shouting 'I am the head'.It also does not mean he gets to take all decisions unilaterally.We just get on with family life and work as a team to get stuff done.

We both have our strengths and weaknesses and we complement each other to work for the good of the family and home we are building.You will often hear him say 'I need to ask my wife as she is better than me when it comes to that' I think he even says it more than I do sef.He trusts my judgement (intially I used to say I told you so ALOT tongue but I think I have matured abit now) and even though sometimes he does not agree with my POV alot of times I find out we tend to do things by compromising.I will give an example I am the one who is more hung up on the kids doing certain activities and I tend to drive my daughter alot.He used to leave me to it as he feels I have a better grasp of the educational system but he had to step in tell me off about me constantly being on the poor girl's case.He was the one who cancelled out my 1hr compulsory school work everyday after school (after swimming, kumon, ballet and soon drama school) we are even still arguing on whether to cut back on extra curricular she is not enjoying e.g Kumon (trust her to not enjoy the educational one tongue).He did not decree No more kumon as the head we just talk about it and both marshall our points and even I realised I had to chill as I guess the kind of family I come from makes me kinda hung up on educational achievements.

It would be interesting if you answered my questions. smiley
Re: Head Of The Family by Nobody: 9:34pm On Nov 12, 2014
carefreewannabe:

True. wink
learning from u ma'am
Re: Head Of The Family by Nobody: 9:35pm On Nov 12, 2014
moca:

Carefree, ur thread has gone to d wind tongue

Eehe, why did u change back to carefreewanabee?
D other one brings the humurous side of u more than this one. This one na so so argument and lecture everytime tongue
Abeg,I want carefreesmile back.

Carefreesmile was the good twin, I am the bad one and I am telling you, she ain't coming back. cool
Re: Head Of The Family by Nobody: 9:36pm On Nov 12, 2014
Mondisweets:
learning from u ma'am

From each other. wink
Re: Head Of The Family by damiso(f): 10:21pm On Nov 12, 2014
carefreewannabe:

It would be interesting if you answered my questions. smiley

1 .the head of the family is the one who charts the course and vision for the family.i see it more as s duty and responsiblity rather than an automatic lordship title. I choose it see again from the Christian view as a sacrificial giving role and not necessary a 'lord of the manor' thing.Christ was a servant leader and that what is the head of the home should be.again I acknowledge not everyone is going to tow that school of thought so each to his own

2. I don't get the context of different in this question. Function? Again its fluid and varies from person to person or family to family.

3.Situations again depends on parties involved and the issues being discussed. If we have differing opinions on an issue sometimes I just go with his view and sometimes he says let's do it your way.e.g I used to go for midweek services with the kids on weeknights and he never liked the idea.He has now decided that I should stop taking the kids with me as he does not like the idea of my daughter going to bed late on a schoolnight.I was initially miffed but thinking about it i realised that this was not to spite my Bible study cell group but really a practical decision based on our daughters wellbeing.On days he gets home early I leave him to sort bedtime and go for my bible study . Unfortunately on days he gets back late it means I don't go. My pastor is always on my case that I don't come for bible study every week but I don't mind anymore as I am ready to stand by His decision on not compromising his child's sleep.

But mine and chilli's esponses were similar naa tongue i.e drawn from personal experiences how come you asked me to answer another set of question naa cheesy
Re: Head Of The Family by Stillfire: 10:46pm On Nov 12, 2014
1 .the head of the family is the one who charts the course and vision for the family.i see it more as s duty and responsiblity rather than an automatic lordship title. I choose it see again from the Christian view as a sacrificial giving role and not necessary a 'lord of the manor' thing.Christ was a servant leader and that what is the head of the home should be.again I acknowledge not everyone is going to tow that school of thought so each to his own

But Damiso do African men practice the attributes of Jesus Christ? grin That is the koko. grin
Was Jesus a walking bag of ego? Or a symbol of humility and grace?
Let's be honest, is the African man a symbol of humility and grace? grin
Was Jesus going about seeking for whom to kiss his black yansh and ego? cheesy
Omotola Jalade Ekeinde's husband cannot say sorry to her, is that Christ-like? She cited ego as the problem, lol.
At this rate, African men will not make heaven, lol.

6 Likes

(1) (2) (Reply)

I Have The Worst Mother In The World ,I Need Help / Would U Enjoy Being An Only Child, Only Male Or Female In Your Family / Help :The Women My Dad Is Sleeping With Have Started To Threaten My Mum

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.