Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,257 members, 7,807,887 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 09:45 PM

After-school Home Tutoring? Isn't This Too Early? - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / After-school Home Tutoring? Isn't This Too Early? (1857 Views)

Is The Craving Not Too Early? / At The Age Of 27,is It Too Early To get Married? / Why Do Nigerian Married Women Discard Their Wedding Rings Too Early? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

After-school Home Tutoring? Isn't This Too Early? by slimyem: 6:38pm On Nov 12, 2014
I was shocked this last weekend while visiting a friend with a 3 year old son and she was telling how she's employed a private tutor for her child.
He comes around 4 times a week to tutor him.That's after this poor child must have been in school for more than 7 hours of the same day.

Shouldn't what a child this age learns from 8a.m-2p.m for 5days a week be just enough?
When I asked what her reasons were,she says unlike her neighbours child who attends the same school with him and is same age as him, he hasn't been winning prizes .shocked
Well,I did tell her how totally unnecessary I thought it was and how unreasonable too. Why the rush?...I asked. Isn't that pushing the child too hard?After school,isn't the child just supposed to eat,sleep,watch cartoons/ educational videos and play!
I got another mother's opinion and she says she used to think it unnecessary too until she found out her child at the same age was lagging behind his mates.Turns out his mates had home tutors too and she just had to get one for him so he can keep up.Aha!

Does dexterity and cognition not have something to do with maturity?
Maybe I've been thinking wrong......
Re: After-school Home Tutoring? Isn't This Too Early? by Nobody: 7:00pm On Nov 12, 2014
Tell her she's the cause of her son's dullness. The boy needs to explore and understand his environment to be intelligent, she's killing his brain by restriction and overload.

2 Likes

Re: After-school Home Tutoring? Isn't This Too Early? by Nobody: 7:09pm On Nov 12, 2014
No wonder rich people children nor dey get sense grin grin

He mate don dey hawk P water for Benin
Re: After-school Home Tutoring? Isn't This Too Early? by Nobody: 7:10pm On Nov 12, 2014
Thats how they compete and produce cram reproduce children. The kids are pawn the parents are doing ego trips. My child is better than yours

2 Likes

Re: After-school Home Tutoring? Isn't This Too Early? by tpia6: 7:16pm On Nov 12, 2014
Not all kids learn at the same pace.

If she noticed her child needs extra help in some areas, what's wrong with her getting him that.

Should she wait until much later instead of doing something now?
Re: After-school Home Tutoring? Isn't This Too Early? by Kimmo(f): 7:40pm On Nov 12, 2014
freshdude2:
Tell her she's the cause of her son's dullness. The boy needs to explore and understand his environment to be intelligent, she's killing his brain by restriction and overload.
Exactly.

NO, you haven't been reasoning this the wrong way. This is so unfair to children and I equate it with having little girls fix weavons or braids. Not every child will win prizes, and certainly not every child will blaze trails that early in life.
slimyem:
I was shocked this last weekend while visiting a friend with a 3 year old son and she was telling how she's employed a private tutor for her child.
He comes around 4 times a week to tutor him.That's after this poor child must have been in school for more than 7 hours of the same day.
Shouldn't what a child this age learns from 8a.m-2p.m for 5days a week be just enough? . . . Maybe I've been thinking wrong.
Re: After-school Home Tutoring? Isn't This Too Early? by dahmie2013: 7:44pm On Nov 12, 2014
Some parents want deir children 2 be Albert Einstein over nite! SMH!
Re: After-school Home Tutoring? Isn't This Too Early? by Nobody: 9:44pm On Nov 12, 2014
tpia6:
Not all kids learn at the same pace.

If she noticed her child needs extra help in some areas, what's wrong with her getting him that.

Should she wait until much later instead of doing something now?

I agree with tpia! smiley
There's nothing wrong with wanting your child to be the best.
The competition out there (especially in Naija) scratch that, everywhere now is super fierce, the foundation must be set right! cool
Re: After-school Home Tutoring? Isn't This Too Early? by Nobody: 9:50pm On Nov 12, 2014
Too much and too early.

Madness.

1 Like

Re: After-school Home Tutoring? Isn't This Too Early? by Nobody: 9:52pm On Nov 12, 2014
alutacontinua:

I agree with tpia! smiley
There's nothing wrong with wanting your child to be the best.
The competition out there (especially in Naija) scratch that, everywhere now is super fierce, the foundation must be set right! cool
The foundation needs to be set right and what these women are doing is building a good-looking foundation lacking in substance. If a child is not environment-smart that can be a bigger handicap than sub-par grades. What she needs to improve his intellect is more intimacy, communication and stimulation which will build his confidence. Success in the competition in life is not based on how much you can quote or recall but in a strong sense of self. These kids will most likely have a deficient personality growing up. Schooling isn't about good grades, it's about learning and application.

Extra tutoring for a three year old is an abuse of their mind.

3 Likes

Re: After-school Home Tutoring? Isn't This Too Early? by Nobody: 9:58pm On Nov 12, 2014
freshdude2:
The foundation needs to be set right and what these women are doing is building a good-looking foundation lacking in substance. If a child is not environment-smart thatcan be a bigger handicap than sub-par grades. What she needs to improve his intellect is more intimacy, communication and stimulation which will build his confidence. Success in the competition in life is not based on how much you can quote or recall but in a strong sense of self. These kids will mostly have a deficient personality growing up. Schooling isn't about good grades it's about learning and application.

Extra tutoring for a three year old is an abuse of their mind.

Exactly.
Re: After-school Home Tutoring? Isn't This Too Early? by Stillfire: 10:08pm On Nov 12, 2014
It's not too early to tutor your child. But not the way Nigerians do it with the cramming, memorization. The neighbours child could just be a better crammer.
The brain is highly plastic even more so at childhood.
Use this time to develop their brain, before it passes them by.

1 Like

Re: After-school Home Tutoring? Isn't This Too Early? by ichidodo: 10:26pm On Nov 12, 2014
Parents competing with each other....
Re: After-school Home Tutoring? Isn't This Too Early? by damiso(f): 10:37pm On Nov 12, 2014
Aluta nothing wrong with extra tutoring but a 3 year old

Freshdude nailed with his answers.
Re: After-school Home Tutoring? Isn't This Too Early? by tpia6: 11:44pm On Nov 12, 2014
The op either did not paint the complete picture, or is unaware of possible other reasons for the mother's actions.

Competitiveness is not necessarily one of them, possibly she noticed the child needs the extra help and attention.

I don't think I need to spell everything out here?
Re: After-school Home Tutoring? Isn't This Too Early? by Nobody: 12:44am On Nov 13, 2014
Well, I can say few things on this from my experience as a home teacher for about 4 years...
Just a MAJOR problem I see in this....and that is the MOTIVE of the parent. This MOTIVE will likely bring pressure on the home teacher, the child(ren) and even the parents.
A home tutor is only expected to work as a guide in solving (mostly) homework/assignment and not to burden the brain of children with another rigorous teaching after the long hours in school.
Lastly, I recommend 3 days in a week for kids in that age group.
Re: After-school Home Tutoring? Isn't This Too Early? by Nobody: 2:31am On Nov 13, 2014
damiso:
Aluta nothing wrong with extra tutoring but a 3 year old

Freshdude nailed with his answers.

E get as e be for a 3 year old though lipsrsealed
Re: After-school Home Tutoring? Isn't This Too Early? by tpia6: 3:32am On Nov 13, 2014
has anyone on the thread ever seen a three year old?

what type of learning is a three year old capable of, therein should lie your answer of what type of tutoring the child is receiving.

lord have mercy.
Re: After-school Home Tutoring? Isn't This Too Early? by slimyem: 7:21am On Nov 13, 2014
tpia6:
The op either did not paint the complete picture, or is unaware of possible other reasons for the mother's actions.

Competitiveness is not necessarily one of them, possibly she noticed the child needs the extra help and attention.

I don't think I need to spell everything out here?
believe what you want but that's all there is to the story and the only thing this mother's only concern for now is just what's been stated.
Re: After-school Home Tutoring? Isn't This Too Early? by EfemenaXY: 7:38am On Nov 13, 2014
slimyem:
Shouldn't what a child this age learns from 8a.m-2p.m for 5days a week be just enough?
When I asked what her reasons were,she says unlike her neighbours child who attends the same school with him and is same age as him, he hasn't been winning prizes .shocked
Well,I did tell her how totally unnecessary I thought it was and how unreasonable too. Why the rush?...I asked. Isn't that pushing the child too hard?After school,isn't the child just supposed to eat,sleep,watch cartoons/ educational videos and play!
I got another mother's opinion and she says she used to think it unnecessary too until she found out her child at the same age was lagging behind his mates.Turns out his mates had home tutors too and she just had to get one for him so he can keep up.Aha!
Does dexterity and cognition not have something to do with maturity?
Maybe I've been thinking wrong......

Completely unnecessary and the mother's response gives a good indication of her daft mentality.

Children learn through play. They absorb and retain information if learning is made a fun experience. There are a million ways to educate your child / provide them with extra lessons than the colonial method of just pen, paper, and repetition. Interactive toys are a good start.

That aside, I'd rather explore and expand on a three year old's extra-curricular activities:

~ Swimming classes
~ Ballet and or baby/toddler gym classes to find-tune their balance and coordination skills
~ Football, tag rugby, cricket
~ Tae kwon Do / Jujitsu / Judo
~ Keyboard / Piano classes

And lots more.

Give me an educationally rounded child any day, over an Einstein wannabe. I bet her kid can neither swim nor ride a bike.

2 Likes

Re: After-school Home Tutoring? Isn't This Too Early? by tpia6: 1:11pm On Nov 13, 2014
I don't know what kind of "friends" splash their "friends" business all over the internet anyway.
Re: After-school Home Tutoring? Isn't This Too Early? by Nobody: 6:32pm On Nov 13, 2014
its not necessary for a 3year old child
Re: After-school Home Tutoring? Isn't This Too Early? by Yanucar: 2:26am On Jan 22, 2022
Hello, my son will finish school soon and plans to go to law school. Can you tell me if there are special courses in legal sciences?

(1) (Reply)

Horrific Moment: New Born Baby Dies! Whose Fault... Mum Or Nurses? / Man Seeks Dissolution Of 19-yr Marriage Over Wife’s Laziness / Marriage Is Not A Poverty Alleviation Program

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.