Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,395 members, 7,808,390 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 11:23 AM

Have You Ever Driven With Google Maps In Nigeria? - Car Talk (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Have You Ever Driven With Google Maps In Nigeria? (28122 Views)

Has Anyone Driven An Innoson??? / Whats D Longest time U ve Driven Ur Car Without A Trip To Mechanic / Fastest Speed You Have Ever Driven: Car, Place, Time? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Have You Ever Driven With Google Maps In Nigeria? by Nobody: 10:02pm On Dec 04, 2014
Yes.

In July, I and my teammates from Calabar arrived Lagos for a competition by 4am, and we couldn't locate our hotel. No, we couldn't locate the way to Lekki where our hotel was. Thanks to Google maps, we actually found our way there, although we still couldn't locate the hotel sha.

We had to ask some security guys around.
Re: Have You Ever Driven With Google Maps In Nigeria? by erico2k2(m): 10:03pm On Dec 04, 2014
Does anybody Know if it works in PHC?
Re: Have You Ever Driven With Google Maps In Nigeria? by tartar9(m): 10:29pm On Dec 04, 2014
well,thank God for google maps,if not i would always have been lost driving around in the inside of my palatial mansion,especially when locating the grand bedroom.

1 Like

Re: Have You Ever Driven With Google Maps In Nigeria? by Nobody: 10:32pm On Dec 04, 2014
drumma:
Hi Guys.... this might not be news but I just tried something today and I was stunned to my bones... I was on the island running some errands and I had no idea how to locate my destinations given that most addresses there are kinda scattered so I brought out my iPhone, launched my google maps and once I clicked on start navigation....... it took me directly to my destination with voice prompt, actual amount of time it will take me to drive there and accurate turning points..... this is so amazing, ya'll should try it and share your views.....

I have no problem going to look for people again henceforth

does it store that current destination offline incase Etisalat and Co take what is theirs
Re: Have You Ever Driven With Google Maps In Nigeria? by Nobody: 10:35pm On Dec 04, 2014
abatically:

Nigeria offline map for sygic is not up to 100mb. Bros u dey fear? The whole map data is not up to 300mbbut it is a one time download and it works offline. I have a wireless internet I use at home, but when I want to download large files, I use my etisalat line for that. I can download 5gb worth of file with just N500

Etisalat has one of the fastest internet in Lagos (up to 5mb/s speed). So just subscribe to PAYG plan which is time based, u wl be charged N15 for every 5 minutes. Last time i did this with N500 i downloaded the latest ROM for my phone which is 1.1gb, and then 5 movies ,(each movie is about 800mb). All these were downloaded within 1hr which cost just N180. Imagine almost 6gb worth of download for just N180.

Note: u must have H+ or at least 3g on ur phone for u to enjoy this. If u are seeing EDGE then u are on ur own

Bro I have been hearing good things about etisalat network. One question: Did you do all this download in the day time or at night?
Re: Have You Ever Driven With Google Maps In Nigeria? by heatmeup(f): 10:50pm On Dec 04, 2014
hehehehehehe i remember using this app some months ago i had an accident with my car courtesy Google map, cos i was looking at it not knowing am already approaching a Julius Berger curvet. see air bags all over me. thank god for that day sha

2 Likes

Re: Have You Ever Driven With Google Maps In Nigeria? by Nobody: 10:50pm On Dec 04, 2014
ehizo25:

Bro I have been hearing good things about etisalat network. One question: Did you do all this download in the day time or at night?

You can only achieve at 2mb per second upwards at night. If what you plan to download isn't too large, you can download during the day.

I once download more than 5gb data at night, with just N200+ my download speed hit 3mb/s that night but during the day it was about 500kb-1mb/s on H+ enabled smartphones though
Re: Have You Ever Driven With Google Maps In Nigeria? by Nobody: 10:59pm On Dec 04, 2014
Have been using Google maps since 2010 both on a Nokia phone and a blackberry. It really is a very good app. Last January, I got a Nokia Lumia phone and so I discovered Nokia Here Maps. To say the least, it's the best map I ever used.

Works offline, voice navigation is superb, gives location info of nearby places like hospitals, schools, businesses, etc. The maps are constantly being updated. You can download voice navigation in many languages and male or female voice. Used with Nokia Here Drive, you can locate your car in case you forgot where you parked it.

The Lagos map on Nokia maps is very advanced. It has been correct 99% of the time.

Have not used sygic but if you use Nokia Here Maps on a high end Lumia phone, you can never get lost even in sambisa forest.

1 Like

Re: Have You Ever Driven With Google Maps In Nigeria? by oseiwe(m): 10:59pm On Dec 04, 2014
Generalkorex:
Yeah it rocks. Though i never use for driving but use it to locate places in ikorodu times without number.

FTC wow
to our mod na wa o dis post jus dey fp since .
bros, stop that! ikorodu no dey map.
Re: Have You Ever Driven With Google Maps In Nigeria? by Whizkel(m): 11:01pm On Dec 04, 2014
ehizo25:

to me etisalat is fast if not the fastest. Both day and night . It also depends on the area. But the 3G/h++ is the surest.
Re: Have You Ever Driven With Google Maps In Nigeria? by Generalkorex(m): 11:04pm On Dec 04, 2014
oseiwe:

bros, stop that! ikorodu no dey map.
hahaha.maybe u schooled in france dats y u no sabi lagos map wella
Re: Have You Ever Driven With Google Maps In Nigeria? by Nobody: 11:05pm On Dec 04, 2014
Promhize:

You can only achieve at 2mb per second upwards at night. If what you plan to download isn't too large, you can download during the day.

I once download more than 5gb data at night, with just N200+ my download speed hit 3mb/s that night but during the day it was about 500kb-1mb/s on H+ enabled smartphones though
Thanks bro. That means your download of about 6GB in about one hour was done at night. I'll try etisalat some time and will give my feedback. I know location matters though.
Re: Have You Ever Driven With Google Maps In Nigeria? by Hysmady(m): 11:19pm On Dec 04, 2014
I tried google maps for first time today and it worked quite ok...It rocks...
Re: Have You Ever Driven With Google Maps In Nigeria? by Nobody: 11:37pm On Dec 04, 2014
To Those who are claiming to have used or are using this Sygic GPS navigation, abeg after the 7days trial. Will that be the end of usage me no get moni to upgrade to premium.. Or is there a way around it?
Re: Have You Ever Driven With Google Maps In Nigeria? by ibiso1986: 11:48pm On Dec 04, 2014
abatically:
@op, have u tried sygic GPS navigation? Then u will know google map is still learning. I have both but never use Google map, sygic beats its a$$ arms down. Google map is good but sygic rocks. Google maps need internet connection to work, sygic is completely offline and u will be surprised at the nooks and crannies this app knows, even gives u alternative routes allover the country, the ui is better and it even has HUD mode and the voice is better.
this sygic map is similar to nokia maps.. Nokia map works offline on my nokia C5(symbian). It shows u the name of the local government u are and even shows u the boundary.. That's why I still respect symbian phones
Re: Have You Ever Driven With Google Maps In Nigeria? by ibiso1986: 11:52pm On Dec 04, 2014
nurey:
I have used maps before when I was using Nokia N97, the map was superb and something else infact it worked offline and always provide direction from one place to another until we were forced to adopt Android OS, I used the maps on BB Q5 recently it was ok but the Nokia lumia maps are slow and not as efficient as when Nokia still had all the stake in symbian.

If you want the best offline map its Sygic I have heard its the best and works like maggic in all african countries except that. Need to download african map sizes of 5xxmb or more you know naija nah, to download that no be beans.

I use a NOTE 10.1 and it aint easy using the maps on it in Lagos because u have to concentrate on driving, watching out for lastma, careful of okada and maruwa and also danfo drivers.
my nokia c5 symbian phone was one of the best wen it comes to offline maps.. U don't need credit for it to work.. Team symbian
Re: Have You Ever Driven With Google Maps In Nigeria? by ibiso1986: 11:58pm On Dec 04, 2014
nurey:

I have not used sygic before so I won't defend it but comments I have heard about it is WOW, I have known about it for more than 2yrs but didn't sway to it since I don't drive then.

But the best map I have used so far is Nokia maps beta than Google rubbish map by centuries and you say google map has offline mode, u must be a joker my note 10.1 has free gps and still the map won't even find ur location free but the Nokia N97, E72 and E71 I have used all have free gps once you download Nigerian map worth of just 7mb u can do an offline route from lagos to zamfara with detailed step by step explanation this is not hear say its what I have done and used.
u forgot to mention Nokia C5 and E5 brother
Re: Have You Ever Driven With Google Maps In Nigeria? by onyeguy: 12:09am On Dec 05, 2014
I have try navigation since I return back
Re: Have You Ever Driven With Google Maps In Nigeria? by ibiso1986: 12:11am On Dec 05, 2014
adanny01:
Constantly!

I traveled from Kaduna to Uyo for the very 1st time via Ogoja without asking for directions.

In Abj, i seek for directions and navigate to any office i am not familiar with its location. Two days ago, i searched for the First bank holdings office in Abj online and used goole maps to get there without asking anyone for directions or even telling my office colleagues where i was going until i came back.

Its a never get lost app. I use it to plan my trips and calculate how much fuel i will use for the trip.

I almost got in trouble one time when i used it to navigate a short cut from eket to Ikot ekpene via a road bypassing but coming out after etinan while driving my white bosses. The road was there on the map and i was familiar with both ends of the map but didnt know the bridge linking both was not there. I got to the missing bridge location but there was a path off road and my overzealous boss encouraged me to follow and see if it takes us to the other side. It did and that was my narrow escape from disappointment of google maps. My friend is supervising the construction of the missing bridge right now.

Yesterday while driving on airport rd in Abj it insistedi drive on the service lane when my exit was very far away after the national stadium. It was constantly asking me to take the next exit ramp to service lane but i cant figure why.
lucky u. Once, wen heading to calabar, nokia map directed me to a short cut from Uyo, never knew the road was closed cos of a bridge they were constructing to tinapa road at Adiabor
Re: Have You Ever Driven With Google Maps In Nigeria? by elume2020(m): 12:13am On Dec 05, 2014
abatically:
@op, have u tried sygic GPS navigation? Then u will know google map is still learning. I have both but never use Google map, sygic beats its a$$ arms down. Google map is good but sygic rocks. Google maps need internet connection to work, sygic is completely offline and u will be surprised at the nooks and crannies this app knows, even gives u alternative routes allover the country, the ui is better and it even has HUD mode and the voice is better.
You did not mention that it is not free. First few days are free thereafter you pay some Euro
Re: Have You Ever Driven With Google Maps In Nigeria? by ibiso1986: 12:26am On Dec 05, 2014
erico2k2:
yes. since its inception.. There's a setting that even shows the aerial view of ur location or the colour of ur zinc.. It also shows trees, and other physical features around u.. Ping me 4 details 7e176c69
Re: Have You Ever Driven With Google Maps In Nigeria? by ibiso1986: 12:32am On Dec 05, 2014
ehizo25:
Have been using Google maps since 2010 both on a Nokia phone and a blackberry. It really is a very good app. Last January, I got a Nokia Lumia phone and so I discovered Nokia Here Maps. To say the least, it's the best map I ever used.

Works offline, voice navigation is superb, gives location info of nearby places like hospitals, schools, businesses, etc. The maps are constantly being updated. You can download voice navigation in many languages and male or female voice. Used with Nokia Here Drive, you can locate your car in case you forgot where you parked it.

The Lagos map on Nokia maps is very advanced. It has been correct 99% of the time.

Have not used sygic but if you use Nokia Here Maps on a high end Lumia phone, you can never get lost even in sambisa forest.
u think like me brother.. Its just funny that most people who own smart phones don't know how to use applications that have to do with maps

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Have You Ever Driven With Google Maps In Nigeria? by Nobody: 2:48am On Dec 05, 2014
Gliding:

Is sygic free? I was asked to pay for it when I tried downloading.
Sygic is not free. I think I paid $30 for it but it's worth every penny. Only thing I don't like about sygic is that it doesn't call out names of roads. Still beats google as sometimes google needs postcode for accurate navigation. Google also needs internet, if one drives to a town or on road with limited internet access, then one is fc.ukd. Google as no speed limit warning, no traffic camera warning, no rail crossing warning e.t.c unlike Sygic.

1 Like

Re: Have You Ever Driven With Google Maps In Nigeria? by KelvinGraphics(m): 3:20am On Dec 05, 2014
ibiso1986:
u forgot to mention Nokia C5 and E5 brother
Infact all Symbian Phone with maps.
Nokia 5230 does it too

1 Like

Re: Have You Ever Driven With Google Maps In Nigeria? by alabiyemmy(m): 5:49am On Dec 05, 2014
Try our Garmin navigator and you will dump Google for ever.

http://www.nigeriagpsnavigator.com
Re: Have You Ever Driven With Google Maps In Nigeria? by macdot(m): 6:33am On Dec 05, 2014
erico2k2:

Yes it does perfectly.
Re: Have You Ever Driven With Google Maps In Nigeria? by jameau(m): 6:41am On Dec 05, 2014
I recently used Google Maps in my vacation tour with wifey across the South West. We drove from lagos to ondo, Ekiti, ilorin, osun and oyo states. Summary, I give the app 90% accuracy. We depended so much on it to the point of stupidity . it works quite fine.
Re: Have You Ever Driven With Google Maps In Nigeria? by Nobody: 6:55am On Dec 05, 2014
Yes it's very nice, I have used it before when travelling from ondo state to edo state destination is sapele road. Since I don't want to follow ifo so as to avoid those oshomole boys,i use the Google map and avoided those boys but the bad side of it is when the network suddenly go bad. The voice prompt was telling me to turn left but there was no where to turn left it was later I realised the mumu glo have stated again
Re: Have You Ever Driven With Google Maps In Nigeria? by Jok3r(m): 7:31am On Dec 05, 2014
Yes ah av.. D best way to know ya compass dats y ah prefer usin samsung nd iphones cos dy re d best in map readn nd location detection.

drumma:
Hi Guys.... this might not be news but I just tried something today and I was stunned to my bones... I was on the island running some errands and I had no idea how to locate my destinations given that most addresses there are kinda scattered so I brought out my iPhone, launched my google maps and once I clicked on start navigation....... it took me directly to my destination with voice prompt, actual amount of time it will take me to drive there and accurate turning points..... this is so amazing, ya'll should try it and share your views.....

I have no problem going to look for people again henceforth

Re: Have You Ever Driven With Google Maps In Nigeria? by Galadimabawa: 7:57am On Dec 05, 2014
It's very helpfull but not accurated
Re: Have You Ever Driven With Google Maps In Nigeria? by dpresido(m): 8:33am On Dec 05, 2014
It is awesome! I experienced it in Abuja a month ago. I just could not believe my eyes with the level of its accuracy uding my android phone.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

How Do Thieves Open The Bonnet To Steal Battery? / BMW Does The Bottle Cap Challenge With A BMW M4 Coupé (Video) / Volvo Unveils A Self-driving Electric Truck With No Passenger Compartment

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 67
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.