Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,920 members, 7,806,675 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 08:32 PM

Common Questions And Answers On Oil And Gas Careers - Career (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Common Questions And Answers On Oil And Gas Careers (20702 Views)

Global Experts In Oil & Gas Careers Upload Your CV & Apply Now! / Top 5 Careers That Can Make Your Spouse Cheat On You / Promising Careers And Professions Emerging In Africa (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Common Questions And Answers On Oil And Gas Careers by BMedia: 7:39am On May 28, 2015
Hello xfire, I must commend the valuable and selfless advice you provide to this forum. I've just completed and I'm awaiting the results of a BA Management course (on course for a first) at a UK University, and I'm considering doing an MSc. or MBA in Oil & Gas Management at Aberdeen/London in order to break into the industry.

What are my prospects please, especially if I can do an MBA in Oil & Gas Mgt (though I only have NYSC job experience at NAFDAC and I hold a Nigerian BSc. in Accounting in a weak classification). Thanks a million.
Re: Common Questions And Answers On Oil And Gas Careers by Nobody: 5:11pm On May 28, 2015
This is good for front page.
I think the mods should move this up to FP.
It is quite revealing and enlightening, especially the information on contract staffing in the oil and gas industry.

cc lalasticlala
Re: Common Questions And Answers On Oil And Gas Careers by toneawe(m): 5:59am On Jun 05, 2015
good day to everyone in the house. my name is Awe Taiwo a graduate of physics/electronics, SLT with a 2ยน Bsc Tech, DELSU. I also have an ND in computer engineering from Uniben. I am good in electronics design and construction like inverters, automatic water pumping machine, etc please if anyone can help me get an offshore job, I wud be grateful enough to make a deal with such person. like taking my first salary earned. please if such one is here, contact me via email t_oneawe@yahoo.com. tank u.
Re: Common Questions And Answers On Oil And Gas Careers by olabs201(m): 8:10am On Jun 08, 2015
Mr xfire pls I need your help on helping me review my cv .. I will glad if you can drop your mail so that I PM you sir. Thanks
Re: Common Questions And Answers On Oil And Gas Careers by Nobody: 5:48am On Jun 09, 2015
xfire:
This is going to be my last thread on oil and gas industry. This is because of my strong belief and knowledge that fulfillment in life and career can be achieved in any industry or field of our liking. Other areas of interests are careers in other industries, education, family and investment.
However, my mail box is still inundated with questions regarding the oil and gas industry. I wrote an article on basic answers to questions regarding the oil and gas industry on Jarusthhub.com a few months back. With the permission of the blog owner, I will repost it here. I sincerely hope other professionals in other industries (such as banking, construction, health, food and beverages, audit, etc) will do the same and share on Nairaland for benefit of all. Maybe I will do something similar for the FCMG industry. Here is the excerpt from the article:

http://www.jarushub.com/common-questions-and-answers-on-oil-and-gas-careers/
http://www.jarushub.com/common-questions-answers-on-oil-gas-careers-ii/
thanx for this bruh
Re: Common Questions And Answers On Oil And Gas Careers by Maghan37: 8:01am On Jun 11, 2015
Thank u sir 4 enlightening us more. I gained a lot of information 4rm ur article.
Re: Common Questions And Answers On Oil And Gas Careers by GodswillAJudins(m): 12:58pm On Jun 15, 2015
Nice.
Am studying metallurgy and material engineering in one of the University of technology Akure to be precise.
I want to know the prospect of the course in the oil and gas sector.
Re: Common Questions And Answers On Oil And Gas Careers by abdulrazat(m): 4:29am On Jun 21, 2015
stillchris:

you have a point. it's not that i've forgotten a lot. but engineering also requires you keep updating yourself. i've not been doing that a lot because my job takes a lot of my time.. so where i will struggle now will be in remembering formulars especially in reservoir engineering. theory no be problem because i read well in school so a lot of things still dey my head.

it's an exploration company.

it's basic test sha, so i'll just hope they keep the questions simple and basic. thanks

What happened with the test? We have been waiting for the good news.
Re: Common Questions And Answers On Oil And Gas Careers by AyomideS: 9:09pm On Jul 06, 2015
Hello everyone,

Please participate in my survey. Here is an anonymous link to the survey: https://warwickwmg.eu.qualtrics.com/SE/?SID=SV_8dIAkfJIh3M1QUt

I am an M.Sc. Programme and Project Management student at the University of Warwick. I am conducting research on the types, significance and impact of political behaviours in oil and gas projects in the UK and Nigeria.

I kindly request that anyone and everyone who has worked on any oil and gas project in the UK or Nigeria (in any capacity) participates in this research. All data will be treated anonymously and confidentially, and will be used for the sole purpose of this research. It will only take 4 minutes of your time.

If you don't want to be a part of the research but want to discuss it, please feel free to comment below.
I would like to say a big thank you for participating or for sharing it with others. For more information, contributions, or if you would like a copy of the results, please contact me on a.o.shodipo@warwick.ac.uk.

Kind Regards,
Ayomide
Re: Common Questions And Answers On Oil And Gas Careers by karleone(m): 1:00pm On Aug 10, 2015
Hello Mr Xfire,

I have been able to read through all your threads, and I most commend, it's helpful and educating, especially with the poise with which you treat every issue.

Just as most graduates have asked about the relevance of their field of study in the Oil and Gas sector, I wish to inquire the relevance of a Civil (Structural) Engineer in the Industry, as most of the platforms are designed for before being built?

Also, as a Civil/Structural graduate, is it advisable to hold a Masters degree, or say, run a masters program in Subsea engineering, knowing fully well that both don't much of have a relation?

Thanks

Chisom

You can email me or run a career advice with
Re: Common Questions And Answers On Oil And Gas Careers by xfire: 5:33pm On Aug 14, 2015
karleone:
Hello Mr Xfire,

I have been able to read through all your threads, and I most commend, it's helpful and educating, especially with the poise with which you treat every issue.

Just as most graduates have asked about the relevance of their field of study in the Oil and Gas sector, I wish to inquire the relevance of a Civil (Structural) Engineer in the Industry, as most of the platforms are designed for before being built?

Also, as a Civil/Structural graduate, is it advisable to hold a Masters degree, or say, run a masters program in Subsea engineering, knowing fully well that both don't much of have a relation?

Thanks

Chisom

You can email me or run a career advice with iwuagwuchisom@gmail.com

In the oil and gas industry, the most important thing is to have an engineering degree. Once you have that, you can work in virtually any engineering function. As a matter of fact, let me give you an illustration. In my department/unit, we have civil, chemical, mechanical and electrical engineers. My manager is a civil engineer by course of study; his supervisor is an electrical engineer while some of my colleagues are mechanical, civil, chemical engineers.

Having said that, civil/structural engineering is very relevant in the oil industry - there are lots of construction work/activitiess that take place in oil fields (both onshore and offshore) and they require structural designs and analysis. An oil/gas facility will most likely undergo several changes in its lifecycle, as it may require repairs, replacement of structural parts (mostly caused by corrosion or degradation), upgrade, enhancement or expansion to continue production. Besides, the structures need to be regularly inspected and maintained. You need civil/structural engineers to oversee all the work.

With your basic engineering degree, you can run a masters degree in subsea engineering. I have seen even electrical engineers run masters degree programmes in petroleum engineering and are gainfully employed. Like I mentioned, most of the disciplines in petroleum engineering (subsea, drilling, reservoir, facilities, etc) are usually open to all engineers.

Lastly, I will advise that you don't focus only on the oil and gas industry. However, that's your decision to make.

1 Like

Re: Common Questions And Answers On Oil And Gas Careers by LILBIMS: 12:16pm On Aug 24, 2015
@xfire, Well done sir and keep on doing the good work, more grease to your elbow, pls sir im just a recent university graduate i studied Electrical electronics engineering,Well just of recent i was told to come and partake in the interview process in an oil and gas firm, well have passed two stages already and now im the 3rd stage which is the [b][/b]TECHNICAL INTERVIEW ASPECT, pls as an EEE graduate please what are the things i might be asked, Please the interview is this friday, pls reply asap, and anybody with any suggestion should please help out
Re: Common Questions And Answers On Oil And Gas Careers by Mixty: 6:30pm On Aug 24, 2015
LILBIMS:
@xfire, Well done sir and keep on doing the good work, more grease to your elbow, pls sir im just a recent university graduate i studied Electrical electronics engineering,Well just of recent i was told to come and partake in the interview process in an oil and gas firm, well have passed two stages already and now im the 3rd stage which is the [b][/b]TECHNICAL INTERVIEW ASPECT, pls as an EEE graduate please what are the things i might be asked, Please the interview is this friday, pls reply asap, and anybody with any suggestion should please help out
cc dustydee
Re: Common Questions And Answers On Oil And Gas Careers by phrezzz: 1:57pm On Sep 28, 2015
Hello Xfire, pls my bro got admission to study comp sci in unn. what advice would u have for him if he wants to work in the oil and gas his 19yrs.
Re: Common Questions And Answers On Oil And Gas Careers by petengine(m): 4:14pm On Sep 28, 2015
phrezzz:
Hello Xfire, pls my bro got admission to study comp sci in unn. what advice would u have for him if he wants to work in the oil and gas his 19yrs.
at this point he should study hard and come out with good grade. one step at a time
Re: Common Questions And Answers On Oil And Gas Careers by mcdonald247(m): 5:28am On Sep 29, 2015
Please help me by sending any of the company's web site so that I can submitte my resume thanks,or flash me so that we can talk thanks +2348066670717
Re: Common Questions And Answers On Oil And Gas Careers by Kaycee625(m): 9:36am On Aug 08, 2016
May God continue to bless you xfire.
If everyother professional who is gainfully employed, is giving insight to whats happening in the corporate world like this, most job seekers would be well informed and have better knowledge on how to pursue their dreams and career path.
Re: Common Questions And Answers On Oil And Gas Careers by TheExclusive: 2:48pm On Sep 26, 2016
Hello everyone and thanks for making this thread great. Special thanks to sir xfire for the wonderful contributions.

My question is, how is job security in the oil and gas industry now particularly in oil servicing companies esp schlumberger for permanent staff. Is is advisable to pursue a career there given the oil price crisis.
Re: Common Questions And Answers On Oil And Gas Careers by omonighoblessing(f): 2:51pm On Sep 26, 2016
xfire:
This is going to be my last thread on oil and gas industry. This is because of my strong belief and knowledge that fulfillment in life and career can be achieved in any industry or field of our liking. Other areas of interests are careers in other industries, education, family and investment.
However, my mail box is still inundated with questions regarding the oil and gas industry. I wrote an article on basic answers to questions regarding the oil and gas industry on Jarushub.com a few months back. With the permission of the blog owner, I will repost it here. I sincerely hope other professionals in other industries (such as banking, construction, health, food and beverages, audit, etc) will do the same and share on Nairaland for benefit of all. Maybe I will do something similar for the FCMG industry. Here is the excerpt from the article:

http://www.jarushub.com/common-questions-and-answers-on-oil-and-gas-careers/
http://www.jarushub.com/common-questions-answers-on-oil-gas-careers-ii/
thank you alot this helpfull
Re: Common Questions And Answers On Oil And Gas Careers by Donpoker9(m): 7:21pm On Sep 26, 2016
very insightfull thread
Re: Common Questions And Answers On Oil And Gas Careers by Nobody: 9:44am On Oct 17, 2016
TheExclusive:
Hello everyone and thanks for making this thread great. Special thanks to sir xfire for the wonderful contributions.

My question is, how is job security in the oil and gas industry now particularly in oil servicing companies esp schlumberger for permanent staff. Is is advisable to pursue a career there given the oil price crisis.
Re: Common Questions And Answers On Oil And Gas Careers by 3mmyz(m): 9:41am On Jan 11, 2017
Xfire thanks for making this thread, its enlightening and well structured.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Need Advice On Salary At My New Job / What Do You Do For A Living. / What Successful Entrepreneurs Do Before 7 A.m

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.