Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,532 members, 7,808,957 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 08:01 PM

'idu Ulo' Or Ikwa Ngwa Ulo Among Ndigbo - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / 'idu Ulo' Or Ikwa Ngwa Ulo Among Ndigbo (2446 Views)

Olubadan-In-Council Declares Eze Ndigbo Illegal / NGWA PEOPLE: Are They Really Cannibals? / Edo/Idu People And The Colour Red (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

'idu Ulo' Or Ikwa Ngwa Ulo Among Ndigbo by Abiagirl777(f): 8:14am On Nov 13, 2014
Among the igbo and perhaps other ethnic groups,there is the culture where the parents of the bride buys household items for their daughter .
According to my grandmother,In pre colonial times,these items ranged from the nkpo(a metallic fish basket),the wooden stool,the mortar n pestle etc.From ,Neo colonial times,the singer sewing machines,stainless plates,cups n spoons began to replace them.
Nowadays,it has become a competition where parents wants to outgive others with gifts like cars,fridge n freezers,washing machines etc.
Most important where i come from is a low stool even though i'm yet to use it since,but grandma says its symbolical.the stool is a kind of prayer dat i will stay permanent there.
So i ask u guys,what importance do your people attach to settling a bride leaving your family and what were/are the gifts?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 'idu Ulo' Or Ikwa Ngwa Ulo Among Ndigbo by GboyegaD(m): 8:17am On Nov 13, 2014
Abiagirl777:
Among the igbo and perhaps other ethnic groups,there is the culture where the parents of the bride buys household items for their daughter .
According to my grandmother,In pre colonial times,these items ranged from the nkpo(a metallic fish basket),the wooden stool,the mortar n pestle etc.From ,Neo colonial times,the singer sewing machines,stainless plates,cups n spoons began to replace them.
Nowadays,it has become a competition where parents wants to outgive others with gifts like cars,fridge n freezers,washing machines etc.
Most important where i come from is a low stool even though i wouldnt be needing it,but grandma says its symbolical.the stool is a kind of prayer dat i will stay permanent there.
So i ask u guys,what importance do your people attach to settling a bride leaving your family and what were/are the gifts?

I am learning about such for the 1st time. Perhaps, it is meant to help her remember the teachings she learnt from her parents since most of the things you listed are used for day to day activities.
Re: 'idu Ulo' Or Ikwa Ngwa Ulo Among Ndigbo by Abiagirl777(f): 8:20am On Nov 13, 2014
GboyegaD:

I am learning about such for the 1st time.

Are you serious?.what tribe are you
Re: 'idu Ulo' Or Ikwa Ngwa Ulo Among Ndigbo by GboyegaD(m): 8:33am On Nov 13, 2014
Abiagirl777:

Are you serious?.what tribe are you

I see myself as a normal human more as I don't believe too much in culture. More so, my dad is Yoruba (mixed) and my mum Benin and so, I have never really associated myself with any tribe per se. I seem to like the good side of every tribe.
Re: 'idu Ulo' Or Ikwa Ngwa Ulo Among Ndigbo by soonest(f): 8:19pm On Oct 23, 2015
This is an old thread but i can't help commenting. Idu ulo is very important in all igbo settings. I have never heard of a bride that they didn't do it for. My aunty that stood as my granny gave me the usual low stool, Odo and aka Odo, osi ite(tripod stand), ngiga(metallic basket for fish), broom and wrappers. I think these are the traditional things. My parents of course gave me the modern things.
The importance of this age long tradition can't be overemphasised and it also gives the woman respect in her husband's house.
Re: 'idu Ulo' Or Ikwa Ngwa Ulo Among Ndigbo by Nobody: 12:10pm On Oct 06, 2016
This act is symbolic as well as it is important as a reminder for the woman that she has been sent out on a voyage of no return. She is expected to use those items; stool to sit tight in her new home, mortar & pestle to prepare food in her new home as taught, fireplace basket as a symbol of preservation of food and not be wasteful and so on.

The igbo people have a very rich culture .

2 Likes

(1) (Reply)

Does First Son Inherit All The Property Among The Igbos / Igbo -ukwu: Home Of The Roped Pots - Anambra State / Why Is It That Most Guyz Dont Appreciate Virginity ?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 18
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.