Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,976 members, 7,806,853 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 04:20 AM

FG Yet To Honour Agreement With Lecturers –ASUU - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / FG Yet To Honour Agreement With Lecturers –ASUU (810 Views)

Unpaid Salaries: FG Yet To Receive Fresh Bailout Request From States-the Punch / Why I Refused To Honour Efcc’s Invitation – Tompolo / Six Weeks To Election:fg Yet To Approve #75bn INEC Budget (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

FG Yet To Honour Agreement With Lecturers –ASUU by fkaz(m): 8:35am On Nov 13, 2014
FROM GEOFFREY ANYANWU, AWKA
One year after university lectur­ers under the umbrella of Aca­demic Staff Union of Universi­ties (ASUU) returned to classes after a protracted strike, the Federal Government has been accused of reneg­ing on the agreement she reached with the lecturers before calling off of the strike.

Speaking during a press briefing yesterday for one-year remembrance of the killing of former ASUU leader, Professor Festus Iyayi by the convoy of Kogi State Governor, Captain Idris Wada (retd), ASUU noted that one year after the agreement with the Federal Government, no government-owned university had received a dime from the N200 billion government said it had set aside for the revitalization of university education in the current year.

Chairman, Nnamdi Azikiwe University branch of ASUU, Comrade Dennis Aribidor, who briefed journalists alongside members of his executive and some senior members of the chapter lamented that the issues that prompted the strike were yet to be addressed in the universities and government had as usual, kept mum.

He said, “It seems Iyayi’s death opened the pandora box that suggests that ASUU’s relationship with government might seem irreconcilably hostile. While he fought for a just cause, ASUU is presently skeptical that he died in vain especially since the conten­tion over honouring the ASUU-FG 2009 agreement, which cut his life short, is still far-fetched. This position is based on some hard truths,” he noted. “No government-owned university (federal or state) has received funding to improve the teaching and learning conditions from the N200 billion earmarked for revitalizing of university education in 2014. No university (federal or state) has received money to pay arrears of earned allowances owed staff from 2009 – 2013 as agreed with government, apart from the 30 per cent released during the strike.”

Aribodor spoke further, “the most funda­mental problem bedeviling the educational system in Nigeria is that it is located within a philosophical and political economic system which emphasizes personal self-enrichment and individual aggrandizement instead of emphasizing knowledge acquisition geared towards public good and national develop­ment.”

“Nigerian educational system is character­ized by chronic underfunding, bad leader­ship, infrastructural decay, poor conditions of learning and service, promotion of mediocrity, shortage of personnel and entrenchment of orthodoxy, parochialism and chauvinism,” he stressed.

The ASUU boss insisted that ASUU would continue to reject “the ongoing systematic privatisation of education and selling off of public educational institutions. Education is a public good and should not be left in the hands of private individuals who are driven solely by profit motives.”

Also speaking, the Coordinator of the Ow­erri Zone of ASUU, Professor Ike Odumegwu accused government of frustrating efforts by ASUU to ensure that the killers of Iyayi were brought to book, saying, “The Federal Road Safety Commission, FRSC, took note of how Iyayi was killed, but nothing has been done. Our lawyers took the matter to court and it has been one adjournment after another.”.

http://sunnewsonline.com/new/?p=90681
Re: FG Yet To Honour Agreement With Lecturers –ASUU by Ambrogio(m): 8:38am On Nov 13, 2014
Re: FG Yet To Honour Agreement With Lecturers –ASUU by Nobody: 12:11pm On Nov 13, 2014
And by next year January ASUU will start another strike...while some ignorant will say that they are working for opposition. One thing I know Jonathan for is that he is a serial liar and a man who don't honour agreement and his words. I pity his party and supporters because if (which I dont pray for) Jonathan win 2015 election, these groups of people and individual will be the first ppl to be disappointed.

1 Like

Re: FG Yet To Honour Agreement With Lecturers –ASUU by Omen100(m): 1:17pm On Nov 13, 2014
thegreatman4ww:
And by next year January ASUU will start another strike...while some ignorant will say that they are working for opposition. One thing I know Jonathan for is that he is a serial liar and a man who don't honour agreement and his words. I pity his party and supporters because if (which I dont pray for) Jonathan win 2015 election, these groups of people and individual will be the first ppl to be disappointed.

I agreed with what you just said about jonathan & his style of leadership.

1 Like

Re: FG Yet To Honour Agreement With Lecturers –ASUU by nuclearboy(m): 1:32pm On Nov 13, 2014
Just seems so .... ... past understanding

You didn't honor party agreement
You didn't honor Campaign promises
You didn't honor oath you swore to protect all
You didn't honor fuel subsidy promises
You didn't honor ASUU agreement

All that concerns you is the Otedolas and Dangotes and sitting still even if everyone else will die!

Yet you keep promising and say people don't like you ONLY because you are from a minority group! Who gives a flying fvck if you are "osu" or whatever? Why not just show that your words mean something and that you have a character people can trust?

Just sad that if ASUU starts again, its innocent youngsters (many of whom are behind him, that will suffer, while ASUU would be the scapegoat called an opposition tool!

I just pray we won't soon be told the Army too doesn't like him!

1 Like

Re: FG Yet To Honour Agreement With Lecturers –ASUU by Olaolufred(m): 1:37pm On Nov 13, 2014
nuclearboy:
Just seems so .... ... past understanding

You didn't honor party agreement
You didn't honor Campaign promises
You didn't honor oath you swore to protect all
You didn't honor fuel subsidy promises
You didn't honor ASUU agreement

All that concerns you is the Otedolas and Dangotes and sitting still even if everyone else will die!

Yet you keep promising and say people don't like you ONLY because you are from a minority group! Who gives a flying fvck if you are "osu" or whatever? Why not just show that your words mean something and that you have a character people can trust?

Just sad that if ASUU starts again, its innocent youngsters (many of whom are behind him, that will suffer, while ASUU would be the scapegoat called an opposition tool!

I just pray we won't soon be told the Army too doesn't like him!

THANK YOU.
Re: FG Yet To Honour Agreement With Lecturers –ASUU by focus7: 3:54pm On Nov 13, 2014
Jonathan is never known to keep his promises.
Re: FG Yet To Honour Agreement With Lecturers –ASUU by emmaboy33(m): 4:02pm On Nov 13, 2014
I just pray ASUU does not go on strike again. Oga Jonathan, pls honour d agreement cos I dnt wanna stay at home for months again
Re: FG Yet To Honour Agreement With Lecturers –ASUU by Olaolufred(m): 4:25pm On Nov 13, 2014
emmaboy33:
I just pray ASUU does not go on strike again. Oga Jonathan, pls honour d agreement cos I dnt wanna stay at home for months again

[size=14pt] IF YOU ARE 18 YEARS AND ABOVE,

YOU KNOW WHAT TO DO.

IF YOU DON'T DO YOUR PART, BE SURE WHAT YOU ARE AFRAID OF WILL HAPPEN.

EBELLEI IS NOT KNOWN FOR KEEPING PROMISE.[/size]

(1) (Reply)

Sen. Mark Explains Why He Visited Green Chamber Of House Of Reps / DSS Operatives, Soldiers Storms Lagos APC Office!!! / Okupe, More ‘jonathan’ Than Jonathan By Duro Onabule

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 25
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.