Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,337 members, 7,808,186 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 08:17 AM

Nigeria Has The Highest Number Of People Living With Diabetes In Africa. - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Nigeria Has The Highest Number Of People Living With Diabetes In Africa. (15306 Views)

USA Reduces Aid To 1.9m Nigerians Living With HIV Over Gay Support / Misconceptions About People Living With Sickle Cell Disease / Inspirational Tweets Of People Living With Sickle-Cell Disease. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigeria Has The Highest Number Of People Living With Diabetes In Africa. by kenlincagro: 3:28pm On Nov 13, 2014
This is BAD News undecided but Read on for some GOOD News cheesy

Close to 26 million people in the United States -- or 8.3 percent of the population -- have diabetes, according to the American Diabetes Association. Various prescription medications and lifestyle modifications have been investigated to treat the condition and prevent complications like heart disease, strokes, blindness and organ failure. In traditional Polynesian medicine, noni fruit has been used to treat diabetes, and research on lab animals is verifying noni’s potential to help diabetics.

http://www.punchng.com/health/more-nigerians-die-of-diabetes-than-hivaids-experts/

Identification
Noni (Morinda citrifolia) is an evergreen shrub native to tropical regions in the Pacific Ocean. The leaves and fruit of the noni have been used for medicinal purposes, although the juice from the fruit may be the most popular form. In laboratory research, noni is being studied for its properties as an antioxidant and an immune system booster, as well as for its ability to fight tumors and treat diabetes.

Blood Sugar
A study published in the “Nigerian Quarterly Journal of Hospital Medicine” in 2008 found that noni juice added to insulin treatments was more effective in controlling blood sugar in laboratory rats than either component alone. A team at the University of the West Indies studied fermented noni juice in diabetes-induced rats that were given 2 ml/kg per body weight of the juice daily for 20 days. Both the noni-fed group and a group treated with the prescription hypoglycemic drug glibenclamide showed a significant reduction in blood sugar. The researchers concluded that the effects may be due to compounds in noni known as triterpenes and saponins. The results were published in “Evidence Based Complementary and Alternative Medicine” in October 2010.

Cataracts
High blood sugar levels caused by diabetes cause the lens of your eye to swell and may lead to vision problems that include cataracts, a clouding of the lens. A study from India published in May 2011 in the journal “Food and Chemical Toxicology” studied eight different plants including noni on a sugar-induced lens opacity model in the lab. The noni extract showed the most potential of all the plants to keep the eye lens clear, and it even demonstrated a moderate toxicity to cancer cells.

Liver Damage
Diabetes can increase your risk of certain types of liver conditions, such as fatty liver disease, which causes scarring. In addition to looking at noni’s effects on blood sugar levels, the University of the West Indies study published in 2010 also examined noni’s effects on the livers of diabetic rats. The researchers discovered that diabetic rats treated with noni juice had reduced fatty degeneration in liver cells, with smaller and less numerous fatty globules, than in the diabetic untreated animals.

Wound Healing
Uncontrolled diabetes can lead to wounds that heal poorly. A study published in the “Journal of Wound Care” in February 2007 conducted research to see if noni had any effects on wound healing in diabetic rats. In addition to controls, a group of animals was given 100 ml/kg body weight of noni juice in their drinking water for 10 days. The diabetic rats given noni juice had a 73 percent reduction in the wound area compared to controls, and fasting blood glucose in the rats was reduced by 29 percent.

2 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Nigeria Has The Highest Number Of People Living With Diabetes In Africa. by Princecalm(m): 3:37pm On Nov 13, 2014
Effect of shortage of insulin.

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria Has The Highest Number Of People Living With Diabetes In Africa. by paul288yahoo(m): 3:43pm On Nov 13, 2014
not surprised .....Nigeria is the highest consumers of alcohol in africa

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Nigeria Has The Highest Number Of People Living With Diabetes In Africa. by kenlincagro: 10:23am On Nov 14, 2014
Really ??
paul288yahoo:
not surprised .....Nigeria is the highest consumers of alcohol in africa
Re: Nigeria Has The Highest Number Of People Living With Diabetes In Africa. by paul288yahoo(m): 3:05am On Nov 15, 2014
kenlincagro:
Really ??
yup

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria Has The Highest Number Of People Living With Diabetes In Africa. by babygirlfl: 6:21pm On Nov 15, 2014
Nigeria has a very high prevalence of diabetes. Unfortunately, it is still not well managed in Nigeria. When properly managed, the effect of complication is reduced.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Has The Highest Number Of People Living With Diabetes In Africa. by chelseabmw(m): 8:18am On Nov 16, 2014
I'm not sure of this.... personally I think it's south africa... Hospitals in Sa are filled with people with diabetes

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria Has The Highest Number Of People Living With Diabetes In Africa. by iceberylin(m): 8:19am On Nov 16, 2014
We got the highest population, what did you expect undecided

25 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Nigeria Has The Highest Number Of People Living With Diabetes In Africa. by Beehshorp(m): 8:19am On Nov 16, 2014
of course am not surprised... i been dey expect world sef
the kain sugar wey we dey take for dis nation no be ere ooo.. u no see say yoyo bitters and iguedo cleanser no dey go market again..
who like bitter thing sef@op
Re: Nigeria Has The Highest Number Of People Living With Diabetes In Africa. by Bantino(m): 8:19am On Nov 16, 2014
Ur current location on Facebook is Europe, Ur School is Uniben, Ur tweet is from Malaysia, Ur NL location is Canada,Ur BBM status is Dubia, and u want God to locate you? Where do u want Him to start from?

8 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Nigeria Has The Highest Number Of People Living With Diabetes In Africa. by sammieguze(m): 8:19am On Nov 16, 2014
Effect of ogogoro
Re: Nigeria Has The Highest Number Of People Living With Diabetes In Africa. by LogoDWhiz(m): 8:20am On Nov 16, 2014
All iz well!
Re: Nigeria Has The Highest Number Of People Living With Diabetes In Africa. by Nobody: 8:20am On Nov 16, 2014
We have a high population ,was the survey done in population ratio format? BTW there's no place in the post that says Nigeria has the highest population of diabetes patients in Africa except maybe its in the link provided

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Has The Highest Number Of People Living With Diabetes In Africa. by kamez(m): 8:21am On Nov 16, 2014
I wouldn't doubt the autenticity of this report.. The number of diabetic people that I know is quite alarming..

Poor eating habits and the hereditary part makes the situation worse

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria Has The Highest Number Of People Living With Diabetes In Africa. by Nobody: 8:21am On Nov 16, 2014
I'm scared of this diabetes thing...there's a history of it in my fam..Grandpa had it...Great grannnies had it...still watching my parents though..I don't wanna have it biko..
Re: Nigeria Has The Highest Number Of People Living With Diabetes In Africa. by Lastdon02(m): 8:21am On Nov 16, 2014
na so
Re: Nigeria Has The Highest Number Of People Living With Diabetes In Africa. by mcdokwe(m): 8:21am On Nov 16, 2014
op where is the solution na?
Re: Nigeria Has The Highest Number Of People Living With Diabetes In Africa. by natureblack(m): 8:22am On Nov 16, 2014
What a misleading headline angry angry angry

Effect of Noni Juice in treating diabetes would have served.

Simpletons always trying to churn out fictional stat from God-knows-where just to vituperate the image of Nigeria.

Mr kenlincagro(OP),kindly direct your dopey self to something lucrative,or you can as well come paint my fart angry angry angry

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Has The Highest Number Of People Living With Diabetes In Africa. by LordMecuzy(m): 8:22am On Nov 16, 2014
I was here.
Re: Nigeria Has The Highest Number Of People Living With Diabetes In Africa. by stanisbaratheon: 8:22am On Nov 16, 2014
ofcourse the population is much. You don't expect ghana to have more than Nigeria naw. The population is proportional to it.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Has The Highest Number Of People Living With Diabetes In Africa. by john403: 8:23am On Nov 16, 2014
IT'S BAD HABITS THAT PUT US AT RISK FOR DIABETES. TOO MUCH COKE, TOO MUCH LACASERA, grin. But I can't help it grin

Alleged Jonathan’s Election Killer Squad: Al-Mustapha replies Obasanjo
Source: http://.com.ng/index.php/national-news/item/1361-alleged-jonathan-s-election-killer-squad-al-mustapha-replies-obasanjo

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Has The Highest Number Of People Living With Diabetes In Africa. by Dannyset(m): 8:23am On Nov 16, 2014
I am covered by His Blood.
Re: Nigeria Has The Highest Number Of People Living With Diabetes In Africa. by adexsimply(m): 8:26am On Nov 16, 2014
Nigeria has the highest population in Africa undecided undecided

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Has The Highest Number Of People Living With Diabetes In Africa. by adexsimply(m): 8:26am On Nov 16, 2014
Dannyset:
I am covered by His Blood.
Are you a murderer

5 Likes

Re: Nigeria Has The Highest Number Of People Living With Diabetes In Africa. by creamylicious(f): 8:27am On Nov 16, 2014
White rice white bread garri white yam amala plantain. White spaghetti,white semo, fry fry..... These are d major foods sold in iya risi's restaurant. Stop and fill ur belle with loads of carbohydrate plus a bottle of soft drink to step down. Overload d body with loads of sugar...... The resultant effect is DIABETES

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigeria Has The Highest Number Of People Living With Diabetes In Africa. by QMark: 8:27am On Nov 16, 2014
Nigeria the highest growing beer market
Re: Nigeria Has The Highest Number Of People Living With Diabetes In Africa. by karidad(f): 8:27am On Nov 16, 2014
God have mercy on us

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Orthopaedic Hospital Performs First Hip Replacement Surgery In Sokoto / World Pharmacy Day : Things You May Not Know About Pharmacists / Breaking News! Nafdac Staff Begins Nationwide Strike

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 25
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.