Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,909 members, 7,802,958 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 05:18 AM

Cockerel Vs. Broiler - Agriculture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / Cockerel Vs. Broiler (50321 Views)

Xmas Broiler Broading In Pictures / Day Old Chick's ( Broiler's,layer's N Cockerel's) Affordable. 08160403222 / Why Don't People Like To Rear Cockerel Birds? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Cockerel Vs. Broiler by kay29000(m): 3:41pm On Nov 13, 2014
I want to know which chicken breed is more profitable for meat production poultry business between the broiler and cockerel. I just started poultry business and I just want to know more about this business from people that are already in it.

People are always saying broilers pays off cos you can sell a mature broiler chicken for N2,500, but you have to buy 3-4weeks broilers for N500, and you spend a lot in feeding them. But Cockerel of 4 weeks sells for N150, and you can sell the matured one for N1,500. So, which one really pays?

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Cockerel Vs. Broiler by kay29000(m): 6:47pm On Nov 13, 2014
Pls someone should contribute something.
Re: Cockerel Vs. Broiler by FarmTech(m): 7:12pm On Nov 13, 2014
Cockerel takes time to mature (I think up to 6 months). Their feed is also cheaper. Broilers mature faster, about 2-3 months and they eat a lot. Their feed is expensive. Which one to embark on boils down to whether u have the market and startup capital. Starting broiler is more capital intensive. When it comes to mortality, broilers die easily while cockerel are as hardened as indigeneous fowls.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Cockerel Vs. Broiler by kay29000(m): 7:45pm On Nov 13, 2014
FarmTech:
Cockerel takes time to mature (I think up to 6 months). Their feed is also cheaper. Broilers mature faster, about 2-3 months and they eat a lot. Their feed is expensive. Which one to embark on boils down to whether u have the market and startup capital. Starting broiler is more capital intensive. When it comes to mortality, broilers die easily while cockerel are as hardened as indigeneous fowls.

Yea, cockerels are far stronger, that's why I am considering going full Cockerel from next year. I currently have 25 broilers, and 10 cockreles...The cockerels are stronger, and whiter, and look neater...it is just that the broilers are growing super faster...that's all.

To the experts in the house, please how much do you sell mature cockerels, and how much do you sell mature broilers.

Thanks in anticipation.
Re: Cockerel Vs. Broiler by apexquest(m): 9:08pm On Nov 13, 2014
i am into broiler production full time, for me business is about turnovers i.e how fast u get ur return o9n investment.... if u know what u are doing, broiler is better, its capital intensive though but u can get over 50% of your capital as profit in 2 to 3 months.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Cockerel Vs. Broiler by modela88(m): 11:30pm On Nov 13, 2014
Broiler is ok if you have your capital because you see ur turnover in 2 to 3 month if the market is there.
Re: Cockerel Vs. Broiler by kay29000(m): 7:50am On Nov 14, 2014
Pls, are there people that are actually into the business in here? I mean people are currently into the business, not people just making guesses.
Re: Cockerel Vs. Broiler by modela88(m): 12:08pm On Nov 14, 2014
kay29000:
Pls, are there people that are actually into the business in here? I mean people are currently into the business, not people just making guesses.

What do u want to know about the business. I can put you through I am FARMER
Re: Cockerel Vs. Broiler by kay29000(m): 1:30pm On Nov 14, 2014
modela88:

What do u want to know about the business. I can put you through I am FARMER

Okay. Thanks for the comment. First, how much is a mature cockerel sell for? And how much does a mature broiler sell for?
Re: Cockerel Vs. Broiler by modela88(m): 10:17pm On Nov 14, 2014
kay29000:

Okay. Thanks for the comment. First, how much is a mature cockerel sell for? And how much does a mature broiler sell for?
A mature cockreal can be sold for 1800 while broiler. Depend on the size u have
Re: Cockerel Vs. Broiler by kay29000(m): 10:16am On Nov 15, 2014
modela88:

A mature cockreal can be sold for 1800 while broiler. Depend on the size u have

Okay. Thanks. How long does it take both cockerel and broiler to grow to full maturity from day old? Thanks in advance.
Re: Cockerel Vs. Broiler by yemmit90: 11:14am On Nov 15, 2014
kay29000:
I want to know which chicken breed is more profitable for meat production poultry business between the broiler and cockerel. I just started poultry business and I just want to know more about this business from people that are already in it.

People are always saying broilers pays off cos you can sell a mature broiler chicken for N2,500, but you have to buy 3-4weeks broilers for N500, and you spend a lot in feeding them. But Cockerel ig 4 weeks sells for N150, and you can sell the matured one for N1,500. So, which one really pays?

Broilers is far better than cockerel. Even if you're selling it to the processor, you get back your investment capital and profits within 7 weeks.

Though most processor buy it 380/kg but you can still make a profit of noting less #120/bird if your birds can attain 2kg within this period.
Re: Cockerel Vs. Broiler by kay29000(m): 11:49am On Nov 15, 2014
yemmit90:

Broilers is far better than cockerel. Even if you're selling it to the processor, you get back your investment capital and profits within 7 weeks.

Though most processor buy it 380/kg but you can still make a profit of noting less #120/bird if your birds can attain 2kg within this period.

N380/KG? How can that be profitable when a day old Broiler sells for N250, and it takes like 10-12 weeks of feeding to get the birds to 2 kg? Please, break it down in simple terms, not technically poultry farmer terms. I am new to this business. Tell me exactly WHY Broiler is FAR BETTER than Cockerel. And please make your explanation a realistic one.
Re: Cockerel Vs. Broiler by yemmit90: 12:54pm On Nov 15, 2014
kay29000:

N380/KG? How can that be profitable when a day old Broiler sells for N250, and it takes like 10-12 weeks of feeding to get the birds to 2 kg? Please, break it down in simple terms, not technically poultry farmer terms. I am new to this business. Tell me exactly WHY Broiler is FAR BETTER than Cockerel. And please make your explanation a realistic one.

Broiler DOC prize is varies and not stable. It also depends on nearest to festive period. I don't know about others but the highest we ever paid for broiler DOC is 200/bird.

A well feed Broiler can reach an average life body weight of 2kg between 6-7 weeks of age especially if your feed is very reach in nutrients.

You can get a 25kg bag of broiler's feed(starter, grower or finisher) from local feed mills for as low as 2000 - 2300. And a broiler requires about 3.5 -4kg of feed to reach the said weight(2kg or above). Now let assume you get your own 25kg bag of feed at 2500, that means a bird will eat #400 worth of feed within this period.

Feed #400+DOC #200+ drugs and others #40. TOTAL #640. You sell it #760 (2kg). 760-640=120. You make more profit if you can get cheaper DOC between #90- 170 and if you're able to formulate your feed with less than the prize stated above.

Broiler is 200 percent better because, before a cockerel reach a market weight probably by 5months - 1year, you would've make a several turnover in broiler business.

also, in terms of diseases outbreak, you can't compare the birds you keeps for just few weeks with the one you keeps for months. The risk is quite higher in the later.

12 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Cockerel Vs. Broiler by kay29000(m): 2:30pm On Nov 15, 2014
yemmit90:

Broiler DOC prize is varies and not stable. It also depends on nearest to festive period. I don't know about others but the highest we ever paid for broiler DOC is 200/bird.

A well feed Broiler can reach an average life body weight of 2kg between 6-7 weeks of age especially if your feed is very reach in nutrients.

You can get a 25kg bag of broiler's feed(starter, grower or finisher) from local feed mills for as low as 2000 - 2300. And a broiler requires about 3.5 -4kg of feed to reach the said weight(2kg or above). Now let assume you get your own 25kg bag of feed at 2500, that means a bird will eat #400 worth of feed within this period.

Feed #400+DOC #200+ drugs and others #40. TOTAL #640. You sell it #760 (2kg). 760-640=120. You make more profit if you can get cheaper DOC between #90- 170 and if you're able to formulate your feed with less than the prize stated above.

Broiler is 200 percent better because, before a cockerel reach a market weight probably by 5months - 1year, you would've make a several turnover in broiler business.

also, in terms of diseases outbreak, you can't compare the birds you keeps for just few weeks with the one you keeps for months. The risk is quite higher in the later.

Thanks but no Thanks. This is all on paper, there are a lot of other risks involved. I can't imagine going through all that stress for N100 gain on a bird. The N100 is not even sure...I have gone all over lagos and Day Old Chics (DOC) sell for N250, Not N200.

Anyway, Thanks for your comment.

2 Likes

Re: Cockerel Vs. Broiler by yemmit90: 6:13am On Nov 16, 2014
kay29000:

Thanks but no Thanks. This is all on paper, there are a lot of other risks involved. I can't imagine going through all that stress for N100 gain on a bird. The N100 is not even sure...I have gone all over lagos and Day Old Chics (DOC) sell for N250, Not N200.

See man, I gave you an honest and practical analysis of what we normally spent on raising each broiler. I could also see that you're not a business minded person. How do you know it's on paper when you've not done it before? Tell me a business that is not involve risk? Besides, what do you mean by 'going through all that stress because of 100 gain'? I pity you! Guys are making millions through the so called #120 profit/bird, and you're here claiming big boy. Tell me the names of Hatcheries that currently sell 250/bird?

I do other businesses, and I can tell you there's no businesses on earth that's devoid of risks. And let me make a clear correction on the misconception about Broiler bird. Broilers are as strong as any other bird if you take proper care of them. Good hygiene and a well ventilation PEN is the main secret of this business.

20 Likes 1 Share

Re: Cockerel Vs. Broiler by kay29000(m): 7:16am On Nov 16, 2014
yemmit90:

See man, I gave you an honest and practical analysis of what we normally spent on raising each broiler.[b] I could also see that you're not a business minded person. [/b]How do you know it's on paper when you've not done it before? Tell me a business that is not involve risk? Besides, what do you mean by 'going through all that stress because of 100 gain'? I pity you! Guys are making millions through the so called #120 profit/bird, and you're here claiming big boy. Tell me the names of Hatcheries that currently sell 250/bird?

I do other businesses, and I can tell you there's no businesses on earth that's devoid of risks. And let me make a clear correction on the misconception about Broiler bird. Broilers are as strong as any other bird if you take proper care of them. Good hygiene and a well ventilation PEN is the main secret of this business.

I'm a business minded person, that is why I am saying it ain't worth it. And I am not forming any big boy, I am just trying to be be business savvy. And I am already in the business. I bought 30 broilers and 10 cockerels. I had to go somewhere for two days, and my brother didn't take care of them well...4 broilers eventually died, but no cockerel died. This is why I started this thread. About me naming the places where they sell Day Old Chicks (broilers) for N250, what will that achieve? Do you think I am lying? Anyway, I don't know the name of the establishments, but they are all around Ikotun, Idimu, and Egebeda area.

Once again, thanks for your contribution.
Re: Cockerel Vs. Broiler by deeptechcool(m): 9:33am On Nov 16, 2014
kay29000:

you are very right and wrong. The bane of business is getting wrong information at the right time. In our farm, we sell DOC broiler for 150. But presently, it goes for 100 due to the fact that people have already stocked for the coming festive season. You can contact me on 09094944019 for further enquiries. Farm is situated at Ota Ogun State.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Cockerel Vs. Broiler by kay29000(m): 10:00am On Nov 16, 2014
deeptechcool:

you are very right and wrong. The bane of business is getting wrong information at the right time. In our farm, we sell DOC broiler for 150. But presently, it goes for 100 due to the fact that people have already stocked for the coming festive season. You can contact me on 08 for further enquiries. Farm is situated at Ota Ogun State.

Hmm! Okay. I will contact you in a couple of weeks...What of Cockerels...Do you have day old of them?
Re: Cockerel Vs. Broiler by valarinz: 10:13am On Nov 16, 2014
kay29000:

My friend, you're just a lousy Ingrate. Someone took time out to enlighten you on how the business is 'REALLY' run, and in return you're busy calling him a liar and running your mouth. If you knew so much about the biz then why come here to ask all these questions, all because you bought 30 birds and 4 died. Like you were just told by a poster above, you're not ready for business because if you were, you'll understand that you have to take some loss along the way, its inevitable. You Dont want to suffer for #100 profit, why not go buy an oil well, this business is not for your type, this is what I do for a living and I'm happy doing it, common sense should tell you that just like every other biz, the major profit lies in bulk, you want to rear 30 birds and take home the same profit with someone who raised 1,000 birds, just wait till your 30 birds reach selling point then you'll understand how valuable that 100 is grin

18 Likes

Re: Cockerel Vs. Broiler by deeptechcool(m): 10:13am On Nov 16, 2014
kay29000:

Hmm! Okay. I will contact you in a couple of weeks...What of Cockerels...Do you have day old of them?

we have. We also sell layers of all ages in hundreds and thousands.
Re: Cockerel Vs. Broiler by yemmit90: 10:16am On Nov 16, 2014
kay29000:

I'm a business minded person, that is why I am saying it ain't worth it. And I am not forming any big boy, I am just trying to be be business savvy. And I am already in the business. I bought 30 broilers and 10 cockerels. I had to go somewhere for two days, and my brother didn't take care of them well...4 broilers eventually died, but no cockerel died. This is why I started this thread. About me naming the places where they sell Day Old Chicks (broilers) for N250, what will that achieve? Do you think I am lying? Anyway, I don't know the name of the establishments, but they are all around Ikotun, Idimu, and Egebeda area.

Once again, thanks for your contribution.

Now i understand you, I'm actually talking on 1000-10000 birds perspective. Do the calculation yourself 120 multiply by 2000/5000, you will see it's a good profit for a business of seven weeks.

it's well my brother, have a nice day!

6 Likes

Re: Cockerel Vs. Broiler by valarinz: 10:20am On Nov 16, 2014
yemmit90:

Now i understand you, I'm actually talking on 1000-10000 birds perspective. Do the calculation yourself 120 multiply by 2000/5000, you will see it's a good profit for a business of seven weeks.

No mind the yeye guy grin

2 Likes

Re: Cockerel Vs. Broiler by Kimikazi2: 10:36am On Nov 16, 2014
Broiler is the best for commercial poultry production because it takes lesser time to mature ( 2.5 to 4 months) but cockerel would take at least six months.
Re: Cockerel Vs. Broiler by kay29000(m): 12:28pm On Nov 16, 2014
valarinz:

My friend, you're just a lousy Ingrate. Someone took time out to enlighten you on how the business is 'REALLY' run, and in return you're busy calling him a liar and running your mouth. If you knew so much about the biz then why come here to ask all these questions, all because you bought 30 birds and 4 died. Like you were just told by a poster above, you're not ready for business because if you were, you'll understand that you have to take some loss along the way, its inevitable. You Dont want to suffer for #100 profit, why not go buy an oil well, this business is not for your type, this is what I do for a living and I'm happy doing it, common sense should tell you that just like every other biz, the major profit lies in bulk, you want to rear 30 birds and take home the same profit with someone who raised 1,000 birds, just wait till your 30 birds reach selling point then you'll understand how valuable that 100 is grin

Now tell me who is lousy...I don't have any business with u, and the person you are talking about already understands where I was coming from, and didn't have to insult me.
Re: Cockerel Vs. Broiler by kay29000(m): 12:30pm On Nov 16, 2014
deeptechcool:

we have. We also sell layers of all ages in hundreds and thousands.

Thanks. I'll keep in touch.
Re: Cockerel Vs. Broiler by kay29000(m): 12:34pm On Nov 16, 2014
yemmit90:

Thanks a lot.
Re: Cockerel Vs. Broiler by FarmTech(m): 7:17pm On Nov 16, 2014
yemmit90:

See man, I gave you an honest and practical analysis of what we normally spent on raising each broiler. I could also see that you're not a business minded person. How do you know it's on paper when you've not done it before? Tell me a business that is not involve risk? Besides, what do you mean by 'going through all that stress because of 100 gain'? I pity you! Guys are making millions through the so called #120 profit/bird, and you're here claiming big boy. Tell me the names of Hatcheries that currently sell 250/bird?

Good hygiene and a well ventilated pen - I love that. Miss them in the name of reducing building cost and labor and you'll pay for it with mortalities.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Cockerel Vs. Broiler by Gadgetmobil(m): 7:39pm On Nov 16, 2014
OK
Re: Cockerel Vs. Broiler by yemmit90: 9:25pm On Nov 16, 2014
FarmTech:

Good hygiene and a well ventilated pen - I love that. Miss them in the name of reducing building cost and labor and you'll pay for it with mortalities.

I saw your Pen in one of your threads. You can easily break down/reduce the high of the fence at the back. Have you ever called the engineer to know if it's possible?

1 Like

Re: Cockerel Vs. Broiler by FarmTech(m): 7:16pm On Nov 17, 2014
yemmit90:

I saw your Pen in one of your threads. You can easily break down/reduce the high of the fence at the back. Have you ever called the engineer to know if it's possible?
I would have done that, but the fence demarcate our compound from another's compound, and they won't like it.

1 Like

Re: Cockerel Vs. Broiler by yemmit90: 7:56pm On Nov 17, 2014
FarmTech:

I would have done that, but the fence demarcate our compound from another's compound, and they won't like it.

Eeyah! Sorry about that!

May God provide you money to build a standard one.

2 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (Reply)

Agric Students At Nnamdi Azikiwe University Kill A Big Python During Farm Work / An 'ewedu' Plant That Is Almost Twice The Height Of An Average Female Being. / The Yams I Bought To Eat Have Started Growing In My Room

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 69
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.