Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,589 members, 7,809,133 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 12:41 AM

Nigerians And Jollof Rice - Food - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / Nigerians And Jollof Rice (1712 Views)

How Jollof Rice Was Served In A Party (pics) / Picture Of Jollof Rice Been Cooked By A Nairalander / Best Way To Prepare A Jollof Rice: How? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigerians And Jollof Rice by ebbymayox(m): 1:05am On Nov 14, 2014
Hot dogs is to Americans as Jollof rice is to West Africans.I find it annoying typing and seeing my spell check recognizing hot dog and not Jollof rice .Jollof rice is very peculiar to we West Africans, The recipe is quite simple,Rice+Orange paint=Jollof Rice (Just a joke lol).

Nigerians, Ghanaians and Senegalese,Liberians,Cameroonian all have this food in common. The method of cooking might be slightly different but the outcome always look the same

I read on BBC how Africans reacted to Jamie Oliver’s “jollof rice”, the dude tried to reinvent the recipe of our dear Jollof rice and trust we Africans we didn’t take it lightly,a lot of angry comments. This is Jollof rice don’t mess around Bro!

There is no Nigerian ceremony or party without Jollof rice, that’s what makes a true item 7. I won’t even like to attend a wedding or an occasion of that kind.Infact the reason you’ve still not found that African Mr Right,is ‘cos you can’t cook Jollof rice lol.

So how did Jollof rice became so popular among West Africans.As diverse as Nigeria might look, Jollof rice bounds us together, Hausa, Igbo, Yoruba, we all love to eat and cook Jollof .The motto is:

United we are,Jollof rice we eat!
The very interesting thing about Jollof is, each of this countries I mentioned earlier all claim to have invented this food,the Ghanaians will say charley we originated Jollof, Nigerians are like Tah na we get am!.So who invented this food? Sir Martin Luther Jollof?? Hehehe!

The first time I tasted the Senegalese Jollof rice,it was made by a friend of mine from Dakar ,it was a bit different from what we Nigerians called Jollof rice, though the look was just the same, and I was like nah Mustapha this isn’t Jollof, come learn from we Nigerians, we make the best Jollof (though sincerely that was the best Jolof I have ever eaten) and he laughed replying, we Wolofs invented Jollof don’t you see they sound alike ,WOLOF,JOLLOF.And in my mind I thought that was a point he just made but in my defence I told him that’s just a coincidence, it’s a Nigerian food, period!

In case you wondering or didn’t know what Wolof is ,Wolof (also spelt Wollof) is major tribe in Senegal.So I got home and made little research and yes according to Wikipedia they truly did invented my dear Jollof rice. The food was probably named after the Wolof’s kingdom, The Jollof Empire.They also call Jollof rice, Benachin, meaning “one pot” in the Wolof language.

So ladies don’t let your boo treat you like a white rice, you’re tasty looking Jollof rice and don’t forget to spell Jollof rice with J,’cos it’s not just a food it’s a feeling and a concept(just kidding)

If you like this article,you can also read similiar articles from same author at www.tlkdrum.com

3 Likes

Re: Nigerians And Jollof Rice by kilokeys(m): 3:42am On Nov 14, 2014
whether na adolf, smirnoff or gandalf invent jollof

e no matter at all.. just gimme one plate with fried goat meat and one bottle of chilled coke. and ehn i go pray for u

2 Likes

Re: Nigerians And Jollof Rice by Whizzdom(m): 8:11pm On Nov 14, 2014
OP All na Jollof Rice ooo ... even concussion is Jollof Rice nowadays ...

If your rice don yellow or red ... he don turn to Jollof Rice be dah .... wink

Jollof Rice as no version ... grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: Nigerians And Jollof Rice by Pavore9: 5:13am On Nov 15, 2014
kilokeys:
whether na adolf, smirnoff or gandalf invent jollof
e no matter at all.. just gimme one plate with fried goat meat and one bottle of chilled coke. and ehn i go pray for u
lol! will rather pray 4 myself!
Re: Nigerians And Jollof Rice by Isiterere(m): 7:29am On Nov 15, 2014
whether na jollof, concussion or anointed rice; all na JOLLOF... Wedding jollof rice dey hungry me sef(owambe tn)

ALL IZZ WELL

(1) (Reply)

How Do I Prepare A Very Delicious Jollof Rice These Easter / Food: What Tribe Is Capable Of This In Nigeria? / Goldenmorn

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 12
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.