Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,902 members, 7,802,924 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 03:32 AM

We Won’t Sell Fighter Helicopters To Nigeria, US Insists - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / We Won’t Sell Fighter Helicopters To Nigeria, US Insists (3225 Views)

Iyabo Anisulowo: Police Deploy Helicopters To Search For Kidnapped Senator / Buhari Lied, Boko Haram Still Holds Territory In Nigeria - US Commander / Why We Refused To Sell Cobra Helicopters To Nigeria - US (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: We Won’t Sell Fighter Helicopters To Nigeria, US Insists by Bobandgreat: 12:38pm On Nov 14, 2014
[color=#000099][/color]
lokito:
US sees Nigerians as corrupt people so it can only be assumed by them that Fighter jets would eventually cause more harm than good to the country's citizenry. One shot from Super cobra could destroy an entire community if not handled meticulously.
We are talking about a country where the death of any civilian doesn't diminish the government, rather the government sees it as a normal thing unlike the US.
We're talking about a country where Militants (let me not mention names before they find me through my email) have artilleries bigger than that of an entire country - I went to supply goods to one of them recently and I wept for my country.
A country where the security level is so low that these jets could be hijacked by these Militants any time any day and used to haunt even the Original sellers. Leave o, US always have reasons for every action.

Are u not brainwashed. So your country (i doubt u are a Nigerian) requests for equipment from a so called friendly country and they have the guts to refuse and insult your country's army, knowing fully well that your country is fighting a war that is killing its citizens on a daily basis, and all you can do is post this in support of them.

Do u think we are talking about your useless arms company requesting for equipment? We are talking about your country here and we are willing to pay for it. We are not asking for aid. You lack ability to reason. Please, next time don't comment if you don't have sense.

Nigeria should buy from another country. We should also begin to manufacture these arms to avoid this kind of insult. South Africa manufactures arms.
Re: We Won’t Sell Fighter Helicopters To Nigeria, US Insists by nduchucks: 12:40pm On Nov 14, 2014
Ngwakwe:

You should know by now that this is an unconventional warfare and again that the Insurgents know the terrains more than our military hence the primary effective combat strategy is a capable backup combat helicopters with 99% precision on targets.

There will be this sense of apprehension that will be registered in Bokoharam fighters subconsciousness if they know there are sufficient backups for our infantry in any attempt on ambush.

There is no excuse whatsoever for any terrorist group to succeed in capturing any territory in Nigeria whether by conventional means or not.

Remember that BH has been on the offensive for the most part, and their success is quite alarming.. They capture towns, Army barracks and seize tanks and other weapons from the barracks. These barracks and towns are not located in the mountains.

There is no excuse for this. It's another failure of the commander - in-chief of the armed forces, Ebele Jonathan.
Re: We Won’t Sell Fighter Helicopters To Nigeria, US Insists by Bobandgreat: 12:44pm On Nov 14, 2014
[color=#000099][/color]
texazzpete:

I should think that the person who expresses confidence that a Nigerian can wake up and design and build a better attack helicopter than the state of the art models being built for the USAF - just because he's given a contract - is the actual olodo grin

These things take time. Investment in education, training, manufacturing...state of the art testing facilities.
We're talking YEARS or work here. Many, many years.

I notice you haven't volunteered to build or design or engineer anything. Color me surprised tongue

Sorry texazpit, u are the olodo here. Believe in yourself and you can achieve anything. We can manufacture these things here. Our problem is our leaders don't care about this country. We have no sense patriotism. Tell me why we can't manufacture these things if we want to.
Re: We Won’t Sell Fighter Helicopters To Nigeria, US Insists by texazzpete(m): 1:00pm On Nov 14, 2014
Bobandgreat:
[color=#000099][/color]

Sorry texazpit, u are the olodo here. Believe in yourself and you can achieve anything. We can manufacture these things here. Our problem is our leaders don't care about this country. We have no sense patriotism. Tell me why we can't manufacture these things if we want to.

Even if you want to, even if all our leaders get on board, it will be many many years before you can build a state of the art, combat ready assault helicopter from scratch.

No amount of faux 'patriotism' can change that. This is not about 'self belief'. It's about reality and common sense.

I have no idea why you cannot see this.

2 Likes

Re: We Won’t Sell Fighter Helicopters To Nigeria, US Insists by BlackTechnology: 2:02pm On Nov 14, 2014
texazzpete:

I should think that the person who expresses confidence that a Nigerian can wake up and design and build a better attack helicopter than the state of the art models being built for the USAF - just because he's given a contract - is the actual olodo grin

These things take time. Investment in education, training, manufacturing...state of the art testing facilities.
We're talking YEARS or work here. Many, many years.

I notice you haven't volunteered to build or design or engineer anything. Color me surprised tongue

Olodo cube

I said

if we challenge our intellectuals in weapons development, any of them who successfully develops an advance weapon should be given a contract to

a) Teach our military intellectuals

b) Approach DICON to help him mass produced the weapons and if DICON can't do so, he can then approach any industry to him mass produced the weapons.
Re: We Won’t Sell Fighter Helicopters To Nigeria, US Insists by Candyrain(m): 2:21pm On Nov 14, 2014
lokito:
US sees Nigerians as corrupt people so it can only be assumed by them that Fighter jets would eventually cause more harm than good to the country's citizenry. One shot from Super cobra could destroy an entire community if not handled meticulously.
We are talking about a country where the death of any civilian doesn't diminish the government, rather the government sees it as a normal thing unlike the US.
We're talking about a country where Militants (let me not mention names before they find me through my email) have artilleries bigger than that of an entire country - I went to supply goods to one of them recently and I wept for my country.
A country where the security level is so low that these jets could be hijacked by these Militants any time any day and used to haunt even the Original sellers. Leave o, US always have reasons for every action.
I feel your point brother. Nigeria's weapons and ammunitions are constantly being hijacked and stolen by BH, what are the chances that this new ones won't go the same way? Very low. I understand the USA abeg. In as much as they want to help I'm also sure they are putting their welfare into consideration. It won't sound good to the hearing that they sold weapons and these same weapons were hijacked and used on American soil and citizens. SMH...
Re: We Won’t Sell Fighter Helicopters To Nigeria, US Insists by texazzpete(m): 3:15pm On Nov 14, 2014
BlackTechnology:

Olodo cube

I said

if we challenge our intellectuals in weapons development, any of them who successfully develops an advance weapon should be given a contract to

a) Teach our military intellectuals

b) Approach DICON to help him mass produced the weapons and if DICON can't do so, he can then approach any industry to him mass produced the weapons.

No. You didn't say 'advanced weapon'. You said 'better attack helicopter'

So you see a scenario where someone will wake up and make a superior attack helicopter than the Cobra that Bell Helicopter Coy built? And you forsee this happening in less than a decade?

LOL

Please keep posting. Every single post you make cements your reputation as a grade-A Olodo in everyone's eyes.
Re: We Won’t Sell Fighter Helicopters To Nigeria, US Insists by arresa: 3:33pm On Nov 14, 2014
What the US is basically saying is we the US don't want you to give our high tech weapons/Helicopters to Boko Haram.

Boko Haram storms military bases with ease and walk away with everything inside the bases unchallenged.

So what about Boko Storming and capturing a military base with American Apache Helicopters?

Americans are not stupid, they know your government arms Boko Haram directly and indirectly and they've made this known times uncountable..

1 Like

Re: We Won’t Sell Fighter Helicopters To Nigeria, US Insists by Wallie(m): 5:03pm On Nov 14, 2014
Bobandgreat:
[color=#000099][/color]

You are right that you can achieve anything with enough time and money but thinking that Nigerians can suddenly build a better weaponry or something that can withstand BH’s heat seeking weapons when we lack the knowledge, expertise, high tech factories to make super sensitive sensors, money needed for R&d to develop better materials, and skills needed to better use the stuff is simply illogical.

What do you think the difference is between a US, Chinese, Japanese or South African made aircraft? Most of those countries have access to the same raw materials or fundamental technology. Kinda akin to comparing Honda Accord, BMW M5, Benz E63, Ferrari 458, and Kia Sedona.

Also, would giving you the same pair of soccer boots worn by Messi make you just as good a player? Companies that hold these technologies spent billions of dollars to develop the skills and expertise needed, and they will not simply hand it over to ANYBODY.

Even DICON is only manufacturing weapons from WWI & WWII that are ineffective in the 21st century. Why do you think the military is having trouble keeping up with BH with their AK47 and SMGs? Here are the products made by DICON http://dicon.gov.ng/military.html

To develop anything decent, we need to nurture brilliant students from primary school by providing them scholarships, hire them when they graduate into a technology area bolstered by the government, encourage competition and collaboration between companies in that technology area and then award contracts to the companies that can deliver.

What we lack is skill (not intelligence) and with time we can develop the skills needed as long as someone is nurturing it. Extremely brilliant people should be doing r&d and not working in the banking sector or rotting away due to lack of opportunities.

The US is great because extremely brilliant people from around the world are courted. The government and companies are always willing to throw money at the next genius from anywhere just to get an edge over the competition. Even Ethopia spends more money on r&d than Nigeria because we did not even make the list!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_research_and_development_spending

1 Like

Re: We Won’t Sell Fighter Helicopters To Nigeria, US Insists by BlackTechnology: 5:51pm On Nov 14, 2014
texazzpete:

No. You didn't say 'advanced weapon'. You said 'better attack helicopter'

So you see a scenario where someone will wake up and make a superior attack helicopter than the Cobra that Bell Helicopter Coy built? And you forsee this happening in less than a decade?

LOL

Please keep posting. Every single post you make cements your reputation as a grade-A Olodo in everyone's eyes.

Someone called your attention to the fact that you don't know what you are talking about.

If a Nigerian intellectual develops a better attack helicopter compare to cobra is that not an advanced weapon.

Olodo raised to power 10 think well.
Re: We Won’t Sell Fighter Helicopters To Nigeria, US Insists by texazzpete(m): 6:04pm On Nov 14, 2014
BlackTechnology:

Someone called your attention to the fact that you don't know what you are talking about.

If a Nigerian intellectual develops a better attack helicopter compare to cobra is that not an advanced weapon.

Olodo raised to power 10 think well.

HAHAHAHAHAHA.

Kai, these your posts are cringe-worthy, i swear! Everyone is telling you that you're an Olodo and you still persist in shaming yourself. What sort of masochistic imbecility makes you persist with these inane replies?

Why stop at assault helos sef? Why not exhort 'Nigerian intellectuals' to develop aircraft carriers and nuclear submarines that surpass anything in the US Navy?

I pray that in a few years, when you would have had the opportunity to finish secondary school (i refuse to believe a graduate can be this brainless) and hopefully when your IQ improves, you will look back at these posts and cringe.

Now, betake thyself and thy addled brain out of my presence. I will jape no further with you, half-wit cheesy
Re: We Won’t Sell Fighter Helicopters To Nigeria, US Insists by BlackTechnology: 6:40pm On Nov 14, 2014
texazzpete:

HAHAHAHAHAHA.

Kai, these your posts are cringe-worthy, i swear! Everyone is telling you that you're an Olodo and you still persist in shaming yourself. What sort of masochistic imbecility makes you persist with these inane replies?

Why stop at assault helos sef? Why not exhort 'Nigerian intellectuals' to develop aircraft carriers and nuclear submarines that surpass anything in the US Navy?

I pray that in a few years, when you would have had the opportunity to finish secondary school (i refuse to believe a graduate can be this brainless) and hopefully when your IQ improves, you will look back at these posts and cringe.

Now, betake thyself and thy addled brain out of my presence. I will jape no further with you, half-wit cheesy

Olodo raised to power 20

India is 13yrs older than Nigeria but today produces advanced weapons

South and North started their true modern nation hood after the Korean war 1953(7yrs before Nigeria's independence) but today produce advanced weapons.

You sound like a primary school dropout
Re: We Won’t Sell Fighter Helicopters To Nigeria, US Insists by lokito: 9:27am On Nov 15, 2014
Bobandgreat:
[color=#000099][/color]

Are u not brainwashed. So your country (i doubt u are a Nigerian) requests for equipment from a so called friendly country and they have the guts to refuse and insult your country's army, knowing fully well that your country is fighting a war that is killing its citizens on a daily basis, and all you can do is post this in support of them.

Do u think we are talking about your useless arms company requesting for equipment? We are talking about your country here and we are willing to pay for it. We are not asking for aid. You lack ability to reason. Please, next time don't comment if you don't have sense.

Nigeria should buy from another country. We should also begin to manufacture these arms to avoid this kind of insult. South Africa manufactures arms.

You don't even seem to be able to hold a proper conversation or a riveting debate for me to consider arguing with. Keep gallivanting the Internet in search of whom to insult. Afterall it's a faceless forum
Re: We Won’t Sell Fighter Helicopters To Nigeria, US Insists by jamace(m): 2:37pm On Nov 15, 2014
Okimski:
what kind of statement is that, yes they are training our army, yet they don't want them to handle the best fighting equipments, something is fishing.
Yes. America's activities in the fight against Boko Haram is highly suspicious. It's like America is providing both information and weapon support to Boko Haram so that America prediction that Nigeria will disintegrate in 2015 will come to pass.
Warning: Nigeria know your friends.

(1) (2) (Reply)

King Abdullah, Who Nudged Saudi Arabia Forward, Dies At 90 / Mother Of All Trekkers Man 2 treks From China 2 Daura Nigeria For GMB (with Pix) / Photo: See How Maiduguri Residents Protested Buhari's 100 Days In Office

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.