Stats: 3,143,187 members, 7,780,298 topics. Date: Thursday, 28 March 2024 at 11:53 AM

I'm Travelling By Air For The First Time Tomorrow, Pls Advice Me - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / I'm Travelling By Air For The First Time Tomorrow, Pls Advice Me (67017 Views)

Mistakes Made By First Timers Travelling By Air / Does Travelling Within Nigeria By Air Require Any Document / Describe Your First Trip By Air (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

I'm Travelling By Air For The First Time Tomorrow, Pls Advice Me by contactmorak: 2:53am On Nov 14, 2014
Please don't laugh at me, it's not like I can't afford it but I've just not been inside a plane before. I usually travel to other states in Nigeria by road. So this person has texted me tictet Ref Number for Arik Air to Abuja tomorrow, but I don't know what next to do. The time texted to me is 7:30am.
Pls if you have travelled by air, domestic flight before pls advise me. Didn't want to ask the person, so he doesn't feel embarrased. Pls this is urgent! When I get to the airport in the morning what shud I do? God bless.

19 Likes

Re: I'm Travelling By Air For The First Time Tomorrow, Pls Advice Me by Nobody: 3:18am On Nov 14, 2014
when u get in, don't just say a word and when asked why ur not talking, tell d person, this is ur first time to using a commercial flight. u got a private jet.

119 Likes 8 Shares

Re: I'm Travelling By Air For The First Time Tomorrow, Pls Advice Me by contactmorak: 3:31am On Nov 14, 2014
eminentme:
when u get in, don't just say a word and when asked why ur not talking, tell d person, this is ur first time to using a commercial flight. u got a private jet.
Lol, pls be serious.

UPDATE:I've shared my experience hereĀ»https://www.nairaland.com/1998245/finally-experience-flying-very-first

10 Likes 3 Shares

Re: I'm Travelling By Air For The First Time Tomorrow, Pls Advice Me by tolugar: 3:52am On Nov 14, 2014
Don't just eat anything till after the flight.

Don't look around "much"

There snacks sucks "and it's not free"

Do things slowly as in putting the belt, etc etc so that ppl will nt know
U as fresher

And pls don't snap pics.

Importantly ask any qus before u do anything.
So as nt to get the plane crashing on air.

41 Likes

Re: I'm Travelling By Air For The First Time Tomorrow, Pls Advice Me by ayukdaboss(m): 5:08am On Nov 14, 2014
tolugar:
Don't just eat anything till after the flight.

Don't look around "much"

There snacks sucks

Do things slowly as in putting the belt, etc etc so that ppl will nt know
U as fresher

And pls don't snap pics.

Importantly ask any qus before u do anything.
So as nt to get the plane crashing on air.

28 Likes

Re: I'm Travelling By Air For The First Time Tomorrow, Pls Advice Me by Udehpaschal1(m): 5:31am On Nov 14, 2014
Keep calm, there is no harm in asking questions... Whatsoever u dont understand, ask anybody around there

61 Likes 2 Shares

Re: I'm Travelling By Air For The First Time Tomorrow, Pls Advice Me by tolutweety(m): 5:54am On Nov 14, 2014
contactmorak:
Please don't laugh at me, it's not like I can't afford it but I've just not been inside a plane before. I usually travel to other states in Nigeria by road. So this person has texted me tictet Ref Number for Arik Air to Abuja tomorrow, but I don't know what next to do. The time texted to me is 7:30am.
Pls if you have travelled by air, domestic flight before pls advise me. Didn't want to ask the person, so he doesn't feel embarrased. Pls this is urgent! When I get to the airport in the morning what shud I do? God bless.

As a first timer, i ll advise you get to the airport on time...prolly 1hr before departure time.
After getting your boarding pass... stylishly ask the arik lady what next n where next to go.

When u eventually board the plane, snap jor....dont mind those that say u shldnt. Take one or two before u eventually put off your fone.
Ask anyone around you to help with the seat belt too...

Oga...no crime being a first timer, and no crime in asking .
Safe journey !

364 Likes 15 Shares

Re: I'm Travelling By Air For The First Time Tomorrow, Pls Advice Me by contactmorak: 5:55am On Nov 14, 2014
What I really want to know is that when I get to the airport tomorrow, what should I do with the ticket REF number the person texted to me

Re: I'm Travelling By Air For The First Time Tomorrow, Pls Advice Me by contactmorak: 5:57am On Nov 14, 2014
tolutweety:

As a first timer, i ll advise you get to the airport on time...prolly 1hr before departure time.
After getting your boarding pass... stylishly ask the arik lady what next n where next to go.

When u eventually board the plane, snap jor....dont mind those that say u shldnt. Take one or two before u eventually put off your fone.
Ask anyone around you to help with the seat belt too...

Oga...no crime being a first timer, and no crime in asking .
Safe journey !
I really appreciate. You guys are far too kind. And sorry to bother u this early morning but ur words have been helpful. I'm going to take my bath nowso to get to the airport 1hr earlier like u suggest. God bless!

12 Likes 2 Shares

Re: I'm Travelling By Air For The First Time Tomorrow, Pls Advice Me by tolutweety(m): 6:04am On Nov 14, 2014
contactmorak:
I really appreciate. You guys are far too kind. And sorry to bother this early morning. I'm going to take my bath now. God bless!
contactmorak:
What I really want to know is that when I get to the airport tomorrow, what should I do with the ticket REF number the person texted to me

When you get to the domestic airport , ask of where arik is....then ask where the line to abuja is (u will see pple on different queue). join the one to abuja. when its your turn to be attended to, give the arik lady the ticket REF no with you...and she ll give you a boarding pass.
NOTE : she ll ask you of your ID CARD.

Try get there on time and ask questions from anybody .that will help out a whole lot.

Safe flight .

118 Likes 4 Shares

Re: I'm Travelling By Air For The First Time Tomorrow, Pls Advice Me by gulfer: 6:51am On Nov 14, 2014
You should be at the airport by this time, if there's no delay 'technical issues' grin; you should be boarding now. I can still see you on Nairaland or are you travelling on Saturday?

Re: I'm Travelling By Air For The First Time Tomorrow, Pls Advice Me by contactmorak: 6:51am On Nov 14, 2014
tolutweety:

When you get to the domestic airport , ask of where arik is....then ask where the line to abuja is (u will see pple on different queue). join the one to abuja. when its your turn to be attended to, give the arik lady the ticket REF no with you...and she ll give you a boarding pass.
NOTE : she ll ask you of your ID CARD.

Try get there on time and ask questions from anybody .that will help out a whole lot.

Safe flight .
highly appreciated

Re: I'm Travelling By Air For The First Time Tomorrow, Pls Advice Me by contactmorak: 6:53am On Nov 14, 2014
gulfer:
You should be at the airport by this time, if there's no delay 'technical issues' grin; you should be boarding now. I can still see you on Nairaland or are you travelling on Saturday?
not there yet but I'm rushing there already. Shud av woken up earlier, but I slept late
Re: I'm Travelling By Air For The First Time Tomorrow, Pls Advice Me by contactmorak: 7:06am On Nov 14, 2014
I'm in traffic, hope I won't miSs the flight!!!
Re: I'm Travelling By Air For The First Time Tomorrow, Pls Advice Me by tolutweety(m): 7:07am On Nov 14, 2014
contactmorak:
not there yet but I'm rushing there already. Shud av woken up earlier, but I slept late

cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy

Dont come telling me you missed the flight o. sad sad

*modified * @ 07:09 14-11-14

Where are you at the moment?
Do you think you can get there bfor 7:30?
Re: I'm Travelling By Air For The First Time Tomorrow, Pls Advice Me by contactmorak: 7:09am On Nov 14, 2014
tolutweety:

what can I do if I miss it?
Re: I'm Travelling By Air For The First Time Tomorrow, Pls Advice Me by jeffizy(m): 7:14am On Nov 14, 2014
contactmorak:
I'm in traffic, hope I won't miSs the flight!!!
shocked I pray you don't. You should know your Lagos better by now. sad
Re: I'm Travelling By Air For The First Time Tomorrow, Pls Advice Me by contactmorak: 7:16am On Nov 14, 2014
tolutweety:

*modified * @ 07:09 14-11-14

Where are you at the moment?
Do you think you can get there bfor 7:30?

I'm at Maryland, Lagos. I honestly do not think that's possible but I keep going
Re: I'm Travelling By Air For The First Time Tomorrow, Pls Advice Me by tolutweety(m): 7:17am On Nov 14, 2014
contactmorak:
what can I do if I miss it?

you might be fortunate there ll be a delay ...

IF NOT ... i dunno oo. Neva missed a flight before. But i guess if you beg them, they might fix you on another flight but with an additional payment tho'. Be ready to pay some extra bucks if you miss .

Re: I'm Travelling By Air For The First Time Tomorrow, Pls Advice Me by contactmorak: 7:19am On Nov 14, 2014
tolutweety:

you might be fortunate there ll be a delay ...

IF NOT ... i dunno oo. Neva missed a flight before. But i guess if you beg them, they might fix you on another flight but with an additional payment tho'. Be ready to pay some extra bucks if you miss .
ok, that's still a bit of relief!
Re: I'm Travelling By Air For The First Time Tomorrow, Pls Advice Me by tolutweety(m): 7:22am On Nov 14, 2014
contactmorak:
ok, that's still a bit of relief!

U shld knw lagos by now na .... Not even on a friday morning wld u xpect no traffic ,Haba ! sad sad
Re: I'm Travelling By Air For The First Time Tomorrow, Pls Advice Me by Nobody: 7:32am On Nov 14, 2014
One key thing you should know is dat during a flight you should always expect the plane descending or ascending suddenly due to change of altitude

Re: I'm Travelling By Air For The First Time Tomorrow, Pls Advice Me by contactmorak: 7:34am On Nov 14, 2014
tolutweety:

U shld knw lagos by now na .... Not even on a friday morning wld u xpect no traffic ,Haba ! sad sad

ok, it's 7:30 and I'm still not there yet. This will never happen again!
Re: I'm Travelling By Air For The First Time Tomorrow, Pls Advice Me by contactmorak: 7:36am On Nov 14, 2014
The ticket number was sent to me late, and that was immediately I got on NL. I tried sleeping a little bit cos I was working really late
Re: I'm Travelling By Air For The First Time Tomorrow, Pls Advice Me by tolutweety(m): 7:46am On Nov 14, 2014
contactmorak:
The ticket number was sent to me late, and that was immediately I got on NL. I tried sleeping a little bit cos I was working really late

Just get there ...
If the plane's gone, talk to whomever attends to you to fix you in in the next flight to abuja....

whr u @ now ?
Re: I'm Travelling By Air For The First Time Tomorrow, Pls Advice Me by CoCoLav(f): 7:58am On Nov 14, 2014
Hahahahaha. I was late for my first flight too but I was lucky there was a one hour delay although everyone had boarded. OP I just hope its not aero o or else...
Re: I'm Travelling By Air For The First Time Tomorrow, Pls Advice Me by contactmorak: 8:11am On Nov 14, 2014
Arik just left. Aero contractor too
Re: I'm Travelling By Air For The First Time Tomorrow, Pls Advice Me by Nobody: 8:12am On Nov 14, 2014
Just sit close to the pilot... He would tell u a story

23 Likes 1 Share

Re: I'm Travelling By Air For The First Time Tomorrow, Pls Advice Me by contactmorak: 8:14am On Nov 14, 2014
I'd have to miss the programme

Re: I'm Travelling By Air For The First Time Tomorrow, Pls Advice Me by fairygeh(f): 8:43am On Nov 14, 2014
contactmorak:
I'd have to miss the programme
shocked u are living in lagos and u didn't get to the airport before 6 grin undecided

Re: I'm Travelling By Air For The First Time Tomorrow, Pls Advice Me by Nobody: 8:49am On Nov 14, 2014
OP, I love planes. I am going to someday, somehow fly one as an hobby of course.

There is nothing special in flying in a plane, IDK. The only somewhat quirky part is the take-off and descent/landing.

This was how I felt when I flew for the first time.

The plane has to taxi a little bit on the taxiway, moving from the terminal to the runway. You know, making all those boring bends and just moving at a slow pace for a while. I am always bored by this part. No excitement whatsoever! Speed was about, say, 20km/h.

Then it gets to the runway, it stops, the engines fire! and it becomes louder. Damn it, I love this part!!! cheesy It begins to move at blinding speed greater than 200Km/h. A force opposite the direction of motion of the plane pushes your head backwards...Ahhh adrenaline!!! cheesy

Just when you are about to cuum, it lifts off on you-- climbing. The tires get off the ground. It is at this stage that some bush people fomit tongue There is this momentary weightlessness, elevation. The tires leave the ground and the plane achieves altitude. There is a point here during ascent when it feels like the plane is falling, it is not, it is simply not climbing as steeply as before and/as there is "cutback" to reduce the thrust used to take-off. This part is a little fun too.

Cruise is boring, except if it is Amelica you are travelling to grin The plane changes altitude from time to time, the pilot as well will at some times tell you the altitude, speed, location and condition of the flight.

Descent and landing is not as exciting as take-off from the point of view of the passenger (I love watching planes land and take-off). The plane loses altitude gradually, gets on the runway with a screeching sound. The speed here too is WOW. You'll almost feel as if the plane is not gonna stop. It does stop, all the times I have flown lipsrsealed grin

Due to the time of your flight, you may have experienced some of these already. I wish you safe flight back.

/*****************Edit*****************/
The OP didnt make the flight. I feel like deleting my comment, mschewww.

69 Likes 4 Shares

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Who Noticed This About Nigerians Who Have Family Members Abroad? / Lagos: Narrate Your Trekking Experience This Morning / Photos Of Ikeja Bus Terminal, Lagos That Will Be Commissioned By Buhari