Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,581 members, 7,809,108 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 11:22 PM

Before,immediately Or After Faith? Wen Do U Receive The Gift Of The Holy Spirit? - Religion (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Before,immediately Or After Faith? Wen Do U Receive The Gift Of The Holy Spirit? (10207 Views)

Be Careful How U Receive Money / Healings And The Gift Of Healing In The Church / Have You Ever Witnessed The Gift Of Interpretation Of Tongues (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Before,immediately Or After Faith? Wen Do U Receive The Gift Of The Holy Spirit? by Nobody: 11:03am On Nov 16, 2014
YBNSCEO:
can't u say ur mind without insult?ode!!

That was a mild insult,the fool deserves more,and how could the rubbish topic of brainwash be on the front page.... It's shocking to see how Nigerians reason!

1 Like

Re: Before,immediately Or After Faith? Wen Do U Receive The Gift Of The Holy Spirit? by YBNSCEO(m): 11:08am On Nov 16, 2014
ifeness:

That was a mild insult,the fool deserves more,and how could the rubbish topic of brainwash be on the front page.... It's shocking to see how Nigerians reason!
it is you who is a fool everyone can't agree wit u if u don't like wats on the frontpage go and open ur own forum
Re: Before,immediately Or After Faith? Wen Do U Receive The Gift Of The Holy Spirit? by Nobody: 11:14am On Nov 16, 2014
YBNSCEO:
it is you who is a fool everyone can't agree wit u if u don't like wats on the frontpage go and open ur own forum

How does the thread educate you,tell me!

1 Like

Re: Before,immediately Or After Faith? Wen Do U Receive The Gift Of The Holy Spirit? by dein77(m): 11:16am On Nov 16, 2014
Answer is in Acts 2.38;

Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptised everyone of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost. KJV.

2 Likes

Re: Before,immediately Or After Faith? Wen Do U Receive The Gift Of The Holy Spirit? by NobleG1(m): 11:19am On Nov 16, 2014
starlingleanets:
It's been a long time off Nairaland but i guess its good to be back-transient though. Without much perambulating and gestromastroculating this thread is created to clear ageing confusion about the Topic as we comment comes in. smiley smiley

There's no f*ucking gift from your hoax "holy spirit". You were lied to in your f*ucking sunday school.
Religion is the biggest hoax in human history.

1 Like

Re: Before,immediately Or After Faith? Wen Do U Receive The Gift Of The Holy Spirit? by Matttthew(m): 11:21am On Nov 16, 2014
Any point of time..... I had mine b4 faith.....

'He is in Heaven, He had done whatsoever he wish'

He is Lord.....(Selah)
Re: Before,immediately Or After Faith? Wen Do U Receive The Gift Of The Holy Spirit? by Judas2013: 11:22am On Nov 16, 2014
starlingleanets:
It's been a long time off Nairaland but i guess its good to be back-transient though. Without much perambulating and gestromastroculating this thread is created to clear ageing confusion about the Topic as we comment comes in. smiley smiley

Greatest lies ever told to humans.

1 Like

Re: Before,immediately Or After Faith? Wen Do U Receive The Gift Of The Holy Spirit? by YBNSCEO(m): 11:24am On Nov 16, 2014
ifeness:

How does the thread educate you,tell me!
so u come here to b educatedwat happened to schools an colleges??this is a forum!!!not an eucational institute

1 Like

Re: Before,immediately Or After Faith? Wen Do U Receive The Gift Of The Holy Spirit? by Nobody: 11:26am On Nov 16, 2014
The Holy Spirit is not a bundle package that comes with inclusion into the body of Christ. He is an entity on his own and different from the other members of the Godhead in that He is emotional just like we are. You can accept or reject Him and He reacts just the way a human does. This is the reason we are warned not to grieve the Spirit because He can get emotional.

To your question, the Holy Spirit will only come to you when you genuinely ask for Him. If your mind is full of clutter you won't hear Him. He is always with us but will never start a relationship with us until we ask for it.

Conclusively, He's with you from the day you become a Christian but will not manifest directly to you until you ask for that relationship. It is the best relationship anyone can have.

2 Likes

Re: Before,immediately Or After Faith? Wen Do U Receive The Gift Of The Holy Spirit? by Nobody: 11:27am On Nov 16, 2014
YBNSCEO:
so u come here to b educatedwat happened to schools an colleges??this is a forum!!!not an eucational institute

Have you heard about Peer and Group Education? Forums like this shows what you have learned so far?
Re: Before,immediately Or After Faith? Wen Do U Receive The Gift Of The Holy Spirit? by dammywapes(m): 11:33am On Nov 16, 2014
Skynetlodgetk:
May God Have Mercy On All Of Us.
you have just commented well. Amen.
Re: Before,immediately Or After Faith? Wen Do U Receive The Gift Of The Holy Spirit? by pjosh1(m): 11:35am On Nov 16, 2014
Make
Re: Before,immediately Or After Faith? Wen Do U Receive The Gift Of The Holy Spirit? by cold(m): 11:37am On Nov 16, 2014
I sip on the Holy Spirit whenever i want to confer with the Most High. That way,we operate on the same level and communicate in the same language

1 Like

Re: Before,immediately Or After Faith? Wen Do U Receive The Gift Of The Holy Spirit? by lumides(m): 11:38am On Nov 16, 2014
believe and receive
Re: Before,immediately Or After Faith? Wen Do U Receive The Gift Of The Holy Spirit? by gbaskiboy: 11:40am On Nov 16, 2014
KidProgrammer:
kiddish behavioural is in you
Re: Before,immediately Or After Faith? Wen Do U Receive The Gift Of The Holy Spirit? by Samunique(m): 11:43am On Nov 16, 2014
I received the Gift of Holy Spirit my second time of attending church as a newly born again young Christian, ( though i was a Muslim from strong muslim's background) i started going to church on Sunday and the following Thursday i received the Gift of HOLY SPIRIT even when i never knew how to pray in Christian way.

So it depends on the genuineity of one's conversion, openness of heart, and God's plan for individual. If someone like me who didn't even know who Holy Spirit was and how to pray in Christan way could receive him then anybody body can receive the Gift anytime any day provided he's genuinely repented and converted.

Hmm! GOD IS FAITHFUL AND TRUE!!!!

6 Likes

Re: Before,immediately Or After Faith? Wen Do U Receive The Gift Of The Holy Spirit? by Ryskey: 11:45am On Nov 16, 2014
[it's only when we repent and be baptize in the name of jesus christ for the remission of our sin, them we shall recieve the gift of the holy spirit. Act 2: 38
Re: Before,immediately Or After Faith? Wen Do U Receive The Gift Of The Holy Spirit? by mikeblazin(m): 11:45am On Nov 16, 2014
My self as a case study.
I received the gift of the Holy Ghost for free, I didn't wait or left Kaduna to abuja before I got d Gift of the Holy Ghost. On a Sunday morning, I went to church(then, I was a Sunday tonic xtian)..! When the Man Of God came on stage, while preaching, I felt this burning sensation inside of me & itwas so hot that I lookd for water tu drink, but instead, it was doubled. The man of God sensed it(through the HolyGhost) & he said d HolyGhost is working inside of me. Lo & behold, that very moment, I spoke in tongues..asin ehhh,,itwas so true tht even my frnds & family repented tht vry day... U see this HolyGhost moves according to your hunger in Christ. A drunkard always want beer, a smoker always want cigarette & a xtian shld alwys long for d HolyGhost.. U don't need any impaction or research for the HolyGhost to fill you. What u need is just a broken & contrite hrt... No particular formular for d HG. Ma dealing can b far different from ur dealings. Lastly, the Word Of God should be your pillar & meditate on it day & night...!!!!!

3 Likes

Re: Before,immediately Or After Faith? Wen Do U Receive The Gift Of The Holy Spirit? by femolevsky(m): 12:02pm On Nov 16, 2014
A new believer receives the Holy Spirit for two functions primarily.

1) Holy Spirit within (Fruit): this is responsible for the internal guidance required by every believer to be able to enjoy the fullness of everything given to us by Our Father through Jesus. Through this in-infilling, we also receive the Fruit of the Spirit which essentially nourishes us spiritually to have the right attitudes in life's circumstances and in our relationships with people, as well as the right way to behave as an Ambassador of God's Kingdom on the earth. We should here that the Holy Spirit is received within at the point when we accept Jesus as our personal Lord(Owner) and Saviour(Deliverer/Grace supplier)

2) Holy Spirit Upon (Gifts): this is synonymous with the event on the day of pentecost, where the disciples received Him. However the dramatic way it occurred may not necessarily occur today when you receive the Holy Spirit upon you, sometimes, most often than not, it will be a quiet event only accompanied by speaking in "other tongues". Other signifying apart from your mother tongue. This "Upon" occurs for the purpose of your part to be fulfilled within the Church. Just like you go to school to receive skills which will be benefit the larger society and which helps you play your role in society, so does the Holy Spirit upon help you fulfil your Work in the Church, for the equipping of the Saints, including the unsaved ones.

You can receive the Holy Spirit upon when you pray and ask God directly or by another Spirit filled believer laying his/her hands upon your head and praying over you. Note, this believer has to have the Holy Spirit upon, as you can't give what you don't have.

Essentially, the Holy Spirit is your companion for your work on the earth towards God and your fellow man. He is an an all round Help in any and every way.

If you haven't received him, now is a good time. Join me, say this prayer:
Lord Jesus, I believe you came, I believe you died and I believe you were raised on the third day and you are seated at the right hand of the father almighty, I confess you as my Lord and saviour and I receive you into my life. Holy Spirit come into my heart and live within me. Thank you Jesus, I am saved.

For those who need the Holy Spirit upon, with evidence of speaking in tongues, say this:

Holy Spirit, I believe that you have been given to me to help me, I hereby ask for your help, come upon me, give me the gift I require to fulfil my part in your Kingdom, evidenced by the speaking of other tongues. Thank you sir, I receive it, in Jesus name. Amen.

Enjoy your life.

1 Like

Re: Before,immediately Or After Faith? Wen Do U Receive The Gift Of The Holy Spirit? by simplisity(m): 12:04pm On Nov 16, 2014
When u make urself available and free ur spirit jst like d way som birds spread their wings wen they r in a top level, the gift will be all urs
Re: Before,immediately Or After Faith? Wen Do U Receive The Gift Of The Holy Spirit? by Pennyways: 12:06pm On Nov 16, 2014
I received the gift of the holy spirit right from when I was in my mother's womb
Re: Before,immediately Or After Faith? Wen Do U Receive The Gift Of The Holy Spirit? by MEILYN(m): 12:23pm On Nov 16, 2014
Hiswordxray:

I received the gift of the Spirit without waiting or going to Jerusalem.
I didn't even ask directly.
I was young and I didn't know anything about baptismal of the Holy Spirit. I only ask God to strengthen my spirit and before I know it I was speaking in tongues and having a word of knowledge.
And you believe speaking in tongues (Gibberish) is an assurance that you have gotten the Holy Spirit?
Re: Before,immediately Or After Faith? Wen Do U Receive The Gift Of The Holy Spirit? by MEILYN(m): 12:34pm On Nov 16, 2014
John 14:23
Jesus answered and said unto him, If a man love me, he will keep my words: and my Father will love him, and we will come unto him, and make our abode with him.

There must be a zeal of repentance. You must be ready to listen, you must be ready to learn, you must believe in the Lord before the Holy Spirit will come your way .

The Holy Spirit opens your eyes, It teaches you what is written in the bible, it leads you to the path of righteousness.......
Re: Before,immediately Or After Faith? Wen Do U Receive The Gift Of The Holy Spirit? by oncheckent: 12:46pm On Nov 16, 2014
datguru:
STEPS TO RECIEVE THE HOLY SPIRIT

1. Salvation: At this stage, a sinner is convicted of his sins and ungodly life by the power of the holy spirit, then he or she repent of his sin and comes to Christ.

2. Sanctification: After salvation, there is still a tendency to sin, because the desire is still there. That is why you find out that some people will be touched by a particular sermon and you see them crying and running to the altar but immediately after that, step on their shoes and the next thing that comes out of their mouth is "id*iot". The person inwardly will be sober and be like " why did I say this ? , oh God forgive me". The reason for this is because the root of sin is still in that person because at salvation, God forgave him of the sins he committed but the sin of adam was still in him, its is called the adam nic nature, the inbred sin. The person needs to pray very well to be sanctified, it is at this stage after the person is sanctified that he will be able to live a holy life, if you knew the person before, without been told you will see that something has happened to him and the seed of God is now in him, that is why the bible said that he that is born of God can not sin because the seed of God is in him. Hallelujah! This experience of sanctification prepares one to receive the holy spirit, it is after you are sanctified that you can be filled with the spirit of God.

3. Holy spirit baptism: Being sanctified is not a guaranty that the Holy spirit is coming, you have to make an extra move by praying for it, you desire it like food and pray earnestly for it, when at last you are filled, signs will follow. You will speak in a new tongue, you see yourself praying longer than you do, you get committed in the things of God. Occasionally you hear God speak to you, there are many gifts that comes to a person after he is filled with the spirit, the gift of healing, vision, teaching and lots more. The spirit of God in the heart of man is something more than gold, its something un merited
As sound as what you have just said now is, it does not change the fact that it is not true. Tell me where sanctification was talked about outside salvation in the epistles. Upon believing in the heart and confessing with the mouth one is saved and all that the spirit has to offer is present in that believer. You should know that the reason God decided to send jesus to the world was to put an end to our adamic past and become born again, born as if we just began existence and that nature that was of adam is no more. You don't pray for the gift of the spirit, you don't attend bible classes to receive it, its in you, let go of what you were taught in the past and search the scriptures yourself.

1 Like

Re: Before,immediately Or After Faith? Wen Do U Receive The Gift Of The Holy Spirit? by oncheckent: 12:51pm On Nov 16, 2014
ifeness:

Do you still believe in this "white trash" religion that has you put in shackles of life? Do you still preach this to kids? DAMN BLACK FOOL!!!
You must be feeling elated with yourself right? When a man sees that which has not been seen before, he runs to anyone who can offer an explanation and then realizes that not all things appeal to reason and logic. May you not see that which will bring you to your knees and keep you there!
Re: Before,immediately Or After Faith? Wen Do U Receive The Gift Of The Holy Spirit? by wuffdedonji: 1:01pm On Nov 16, 2014
starlingleanets:
it was after my life in the spirit seminar @ the catholic charistimatic renewal 1996 hands was laid on me before arrival of the holy sprit .
Re: Before,immediately Or After Faith? Wen Do U Receive The Gift Of The Holy Spirit? by haibe(m): 1:04pm On Nov 16, 2014
datguru:
STEPS TO RECIEVE THE HOLY SPIRIT

1. Salvation: At this stage, a sinner is convicted of his sins and ungodly life by the power of the holy spirit, then he or she repent of his sin and comes to Christ.

2. Sanctification: After salvation, there is still a tendency to sin, because the desire is still there. That is why you find out that some people will be touched by a particular sermon and you see them crying and running to the altar but immediately after that, step on their shoes and the next thing that comes out of their mouth is "id*iot". The person inwardly will be sober and be like " why did I say this ? , oh God forgive me". The reason for this is because the root of sin is still in that person because at salvation, God forgave him of the sins he committed but the sin of adam was still in him, its is called the adam nic nature, the inbred sin. The person needs to pray very well to be sanctified, it is at this stage after the person is sanctified that he will be able to live a holy life, if you knew the person before, without been told you will see that something has happened to him and the seed of God is now in him, that is why the bible said that he that is born of God can not sin because the seed of God is in him. Hallelujah! This experience of sanctification prepares one to receive the holy spirit, it is after you are sanctified that you can be filled with the spirit of God.

What of those that received the baptism immediately after salvation nko? You think you be saved without the Holy Spirit sanctifying you initially?
Re: Before,immediately Or After Faith? Wen Do U Receive The Gift Of The Holy Spirit? by 3pleo: 1:16pm On Nov 16, 2014
I think you guys are mixing things up here o. There's a clear difference between the indwelling presence of the Holy Spirit, the baptism of the Holy Spirit and the gift of the Holy Spirit. The indwelling presence is during salvation, the baptism is when the person thirst for it and the gift is at the discretion of the Holy Spirit all the believer as to do is desire it. Hope this helps
Re: Before,immediately Or After Faith? Wen Do U Receive The Gift Of The Holy Spirit? by Folksyharry(m): 1:24pm On Nov 16, 2014
dein77:
Answer is in Acts 2.38;

Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptised everyone of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost. KJV.

this is the simple answer 2 d question.
read dis 2 learn more about what d Holy Spirit does 4 us as Christians

http://www.simplybible.com.au/f863.htm

A lthough we have been saying, in our
previous lessons, that the baptism of the
Holy Spirit and the various miraculous
gifts are not for today, we certainly do not
mean to say that there is no gift of the
Holy Spirit today, or even that there is
only a lesser gift today. On the contrary,
the gift, renewing, outpouring, indwelling,
or seal of the Spirit which all Christians
are given in common, is concerned with
the greater purpose of imparting,
guaranteeing, and preserving
sanctification unto eternal life. It was
never intended that this gift should cease.
1 Does the Holy Spirit
Dwell in the Christian?
Yes, the Bible says, the Spirit of God
dwells in you" and we dare not unsay it.
This a blanket statement applicable to all
Christians, because the same verse goes
on to say, "if anyone does not have the
Spirit of Christ, he does not belong to
him" . (Rom 8:9)
The next two verses make it even clearer
that the indwelling is for all Christians.
The Christian's future resurrection unto
life is made dependent upon the
indwelling of the Holy Spirit, since it will
come about "through His Spirit who
indwells you" (Rom 8:10-11).
2 How Does the Holy Spirit
Dwell in the Christian?
There is a lot of debate about the nature
of the indwelling. Does the Spirit dwell in
us personally, directly, and bodily? Let's
look at these issues briefly.
A Direct and Personal Indwelling?
Some say that this indwelling is not
direct or personal, because the same
passage says, "...Christ is in you..."
(Rom 8:10) and since Christ is not in us
"personally" then neither is the Holy
Spirit. However this argument loses sight
of the Holy Spirit's role as Christ's
representative or deputy. When Paul says
"...Christ is in you..." he is saying no
more than that "the Spirit of God dwells
in you" or that you "have the Spirit of
Christ" (Rom 8:9). We note, too, that the
same argument against a personal
indwelling of the Christian would also
prove against a personal indwelling of,
and presence with, the apostles if it were
applied to John 14:17-18.
Another argument against the personal or
direct indwelling, is that the Holy Spirit
dwells in us through his word. This is
made to mean that he does not dwell in
us personally or directly, but rather his
word dwells or abides in us . However
this is a simple semantic error confusing
the indwelling with its instrument. For
example a Bill might dwell in a house
through a leasing agreement, that does
not mean that Bill does not dwell in the
house directly and personally, and that it
is only the lease that dwells in the house.
The lease is the instrument of Bill's
indwelling of the house. In the same
sense, the word of covenant of Christ is
the instrument by which the Spirit
dwells in us.
A Bodily Indwelling?
An argument against a "bodily" indwelling
is that "God has sent forth the Spirit of
his Son into our hearts crying, 'Abba
Father!'" (Gal 4:6). The argument seems
to be that since the Spirit dwells in our
hearts, he does not indwell our bodies.
No reason is given why the Spirit cannot
indwell our whole being, both body and
heart. The best reason I have ever heard
is that our bodies would burst into
flames if the Spirit tried to indwell them,
but that is an unsupported assertion.
The fact that I mention these arguments
and show the faults in them, does not
mean that I say the Spirit dwells in us
"personally" or "directly" or "bodily". Paul
thought it was sufficient to say, "the Spirit
of God dwells in you" (Rom 8:9). I really
don't see any need to tack adverbs on to
that. The Holy Spirit dwells in us. That is
a sufficient truth for me to accept and
believe in. Whether he does so
personally, directly, bodily, or some other
"ily" is a question I don't need to ask.
What concerns me is that the arguments I
have mentioned seem to be against not
so much a particular "ily" but against the
indwelling itself, and that's why I have
included them in this lesson.
3 Why Does the Holy Spirit
Dwell in the Christian?
Not that we might work miracles ,
because as we have seen in the lesson
on Various Miraculous Gifts the purpose
of miracles was to confirm the word with
signs following (Mrk 16:17-19)and that
work has long ago been well and
truly done.
Not to give us revelation, because that
work has also been well and truly done
and the scriptures provide us with all the
revelation we need (2Tm 3:16-17,
1Co 13:8-10).
The ā€œ3Sā€ Purpose of Indwelling
The purpose of the Holy Spirits indwelling
may be summarized in three reasons
each starting with S...
To Seal us. The purpose of the
indwelling of the Holy Spirit is summed
up in the words "seal" and "pledge" . The
scriptures clearly identify this purpose.
(Eph 1:11-14, Eph 4:30, 2Co 1:20-22,
2Co 5:5). You may wish also to read
The Unbreakable Seal and Seven
Wonders of the Holy Spirit.
To Strengthen us. The Spirit helps us
to be strong and fruitful (Eph 3:16-17,
Gal 5:22-23, 1Co 10:12-13, Rom 15:13,
2Tm 1:14 ) and this work may well be a
function and purpose of his indwelling us.
To Speak for us. The Spirit intercedes
for us when we pray (Rom 8:26-28,
Eph 2:18, Jde 1:20-21). This too may be
connected with his indwelling us,
because Paul's discussion of the
indwelling (which we have noticed above)
leads into the statement about the Spirit's
Intercession, with the phrase, "in the
same way the Spirit helps our
weaknesses..." (Rom 8:26). I think Paul
is indicating that the Spirit dwelling in us
is praying the prayers for us that we are
finding hard to put into words.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

If you love GOD, keep HIS Commandments (john 14:15) / Are There Similaries Between Christianity And Atheism? / Imagine A Worldwide Ban On Bibles

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 76
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.