Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,728 members, 7,805,986 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 09:44 AM

The Bastardization Of Nursing Ethics In OYO State (S.O.N.E) - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / The Bastardization Of Nursing Ethics In OYO State (S.O.N.E) (811 Views)

The Bastardization Of Nursing Ethics In OYO State (S.O.N.E) / New Outbreak Of Lassa Fever In Oyo State / *********ladies Should Encourage Their Guys To Use C.o.n.d.o.m********* (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

The Bastardization Of Nursing Ethics In OYO State (S.O.N.E) by annonymida: 6:37pm On Nov 14, 2014
My experience:
I have grown to watch several intermittent cases pertaining to religious differences over the years. Unfortunately, they all have a thing or two in common: bigotry, intolerance, politicization and suppression. I am not a writer, so I’ll admonish you to please bear with my monologue.
The country comprises several institutions. Each of her institutions’ got different types of codes and ethics guiding its modus operandi. All things are permissible but not all things are beneficial, so why do we aggravate petty issues. I am not an anti-islamist or islamophobic, so I’ll advise all silly bigotic chalatans who always go hay-wire at the tune of religion, to be introspective before starting an e-war on this thread.
I went to the school of nursing Eleyele, Ibadan some weeks ago and was privileged to witness some of the gross misconduct and sheer indiscipline excruciated by some of the students. While waiting for a member of staff to arrive, I decided to saunter past the lecture rooms. I got close to a lecture room and watched the hall from a safe distance for a while; everything was going on smoothly until about 1:00 pm when some students raised up their hands, then one of the students stood up, almost genuflecting with her hands up in the air pointing towards the direction of the mosque, then she curtly said; to the mosque ma (this was her way of saying “we are going for prayers”). In a single row, without waiting for the lecturer’s approval, they all filed out towards the mosque. I saw the lecturer’s face and what I could see was the lecturer futilely trying to conceal her anguish at the way the chauvinistic students disrupted the high spirits of the class.(if you’re wondering how I got to know (omo oju ni mi, I don’t expect y’all to get that)).
I was also privileged to go round some of the classes in the school and was flabberwhelmed at the diversity in the dress codes of the students. Some students were capped, niquabed, scarfed (some Christians I guess) and even hijabbed (forgive my use of English). The Muslim students were seated separately from the Christian students (in a secular institution **WTH**).
I headed back to my rendezvous point, pondering on my experience; I thought I was the only one with a different view of things, only to eavesdrop on the conversation of a few lecturers in the office next to my colleague’s as I waited for him to arrive. They were not pleased with the system as well, especially with the student’s constant disturbance of classes in the name of prayers. I got to know that a lecturer almost got herself lynched by some jihadist Imams a day after she stopped the students from leaving her class; telling them to wait for some 20-30 minutes for her to round off her class(actually the Imams came for her head the same day but unfortunately she had left the school loll..). I got to know similar cases have occurred several time over and this has led the lecturers to keep mum in order to avoid being lynched by some catatonic Imams with myopic understandings (not all imams are catatonic).
I learnt the issue of prayers during classes had been in existence since eons dating back to the time of Gov. Lamidi Adesina and the bastardization of the standard nursing dress code with scarves, hijab etc was introduced during the Alao-Akala regime. I got to know all efforts aimed at curbing these faults have always been thwarted by the leadership (government) as it had always been headed by a Muslim leader except for the Alao-Akala led regime which was totally less concerned about the decadence encroaching into the nursing profession.

My opinion:
The Oyo State government and the Managerial board of the School of Nursing Eleyele should learn from Fashola (Lagos State), the UCH (Ibadan) and other standard health institutions that have zero-tolerance for such misconducts and have prevented the decadence of nursing and health standards. I know the Catholic Church have their own time of prayers as well (12:00&600 Angelus, 3:00 divine mercy prayers etc), other Christian churches may have; but these Christian students have not lost their sense of reasoning for religious purposes. They do not disrupt the school activities in the name of religion. Let’s not forget the mayhem caused as a result of the intolerance of some public Christian missionary schools towards Hijab in Osun state at the onset of Aregbesola’s unification agenda which led to some Christian students wearing their Baptist robes to school and some Muslim students wearing their hijab to school and some violent fracas between both sides. The saga raised concerns on the main reason why uniforms were introduced; “UNIFORMITY”
This is an appalling status quo which should not be permitted especially in a secular country like Nigeria. I appreciate the UCH’s (Ibadan) stand in confronting such indiscipline. The use of uniforms at various educational levels was aimed at encouraging a sense of uniformity, discipline, organization and orderliness among students. It’s a pity some sectors of the health institutions have been beclouded and bastardized by religion, exchanging normal standards for sub standards infringed by religious slavery. Florence Nightingale will roll in her grave at the sight of the shambolic nursing professionalism in Nigeria.
If you want to be observing your Muslim prayers (Solat) ad-libitum (even if possible, taking a break from your exam halls to go and pray), attend a private Muslim health institution.
If you want to be observing your Christian prayers (12:00&600 Angelus, 3:00 divine mercy prayers etc) ad-libitum (even if possible, taking a break from your exam halls to go and pray) attend a private Christian health institution,
Else,
Leave and let be, stop forcing your various hypocritical religious repertoires on the public health institutions. If you can’t fit in, GET OUT!!!!!!!!!!!
I HOPE GOVERNOR AJIMOBI GETS TO SEE THIS AND MAKE NECESSARY AMENDMENTS!!!!!!!!!!!!
Need I say more
Bless Y’all…
Ciao.
Re: The Bastardization Of Nursing Ethics In OYO State (S.O.N.E) by thegoodone2(m): 6:44pm On Nov 14, 2014
we misuse Religion in Nigeria.
Re: The Bastardization Of Nursing Ethics In OYO State (S.O.N.E) by annonymida: 6:45pm On Nov 14, 2014
yeah,,
quite unfortunate tho..

(1) (Reply)

6 Reasons Why Your Skin Is Becoming Oily / Doctors Announce World's First Successful Penis Transplant / Whether You're Thinking About Whitening Your Teeth

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 17
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.