Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,363 members, 7,800,731 topics. Date: Thursday, 18 April 2024 at 04:16 AM

My Grouse With The Prosperity Gospel! - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / My Grouse With The Prosperity Gospel! (1706 Views)

My Grouse With Deeper Life- Pastor Tunde Bakare / The Bankruptcy Of The Prosperity Gospel: An Exercise In Biblical And Theological / The Vaticans Colossal Wealth - They Started The Prosperity Gospel (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

My Grouse With The Prosperity Gospel! by dein77(m): 9:31am On Nov 15, 2014
For all intent and purposes, I do not condemn the prosperity Gospel; prosperity is part of the salvation package given to us by Christ as we accept His gift of righteousness and eternal life. I agree we cannot really achieve much in life and ministry without money, but the undue emphasis on prosperity to the detriment of integrity, righteousness and purity of heart and life is really depressing me. Its being many months since I heard a message on the Second Advent of Christ. Its all money, money, and more money!

Wherever you turn, its all 'you shall make it', 'you shall prosper', 'if you can think it, you can make it etc'......In fact, our prosperity preachers are more or less, motivational speakers. This emphasis is wrong. I recently saw a thread here how Living Faith preached about salvation in one of its services. Really absurd!

Obviously, we are getting richer, but are becoming poorer in morals. Yes, we are getting fatter pockets, but we are getting leaner in integrity and uprightness. We need to start turning this tides. We must realize that righteousness, holiness and integrity must be a part of a life that desires prosperity truly given by God.

Don’t accept motivational messages that preach prosperity as a reward for giving without emphasizing holiness and righteousness. What is more, the message does not work. Look at the suffering and financial struggles of the average Nigerian Christian. The evidence is overwhelming. If anything, its the senior pastors that are getting ridiculously richer; the average church member is poor, miserable and angry.

We must insist that our pastors and elders preach a balanced prosperity gospel; a Gospel where righteousness and prosperity are mixed in the pulpit.

The prosperity Gospel doesn't bring prosperity to all. It only brings more money to the coffers of the founders of these ministries.......

5 Likes

Re: My Grouse With The Prosperity Gospel! by elspycey(m): 9:56am On Nov 15, 2014
All na scam

2 Likes

Re: My Grouse With The Prosperity Gospel! by PastorKun(m): 11:05am On Nov 15, 2014
@OP
Whilst there is nothing wrong with the material prosperity of a believer, make no mistake about it the doctrine that it is part of the salvation package is absolutely false. It is a man made concoction used to 'sweeten' the gospel to itchy ears. The gospel is strictly about the salvation of our souls and nothing to do what0 so ever with material prosperity.

3 Likes

Re: My Grouse With The Prosperity Gospel! by dein77(m): 11:12am On Nov 15, 2014
PastorKun:
@OP
Whilst there is nothing wrong with the material prosperity of a believer, make no mistake about it the doctrine that it is part of the salvation package is absolutely false. It is a man made concoction used to 'sweeten' the gospel to itchy ears. The gospel is strictly about the salvation of our souls and nothing to do what0 so ever with material prosperity.

@ bolded;

I politely disagree with you. Prosperity is part of the package of salvation, sire
Re: My Grouse With The Prosperity Gospel! by nora544: 11:29am On Nov 15, 2014
dein77:

@ bolded;

I politely disagree with you. Prosperity is part of the package of salvation, sire

Sorry the prosperity gospel is heresy please look if you could get the book Health, Wealth and Happiness, theologians David Jones and Russell Woodbridge characterize the doctrine as poor theology

and you will see it, and it will open your eyes.
Re: My Grouse With The Prosperity Gospel! by dein77(m): 11:32am On Nov 15, 2014
nora544:

Sorry the prosperity gospel is heresy please look if you could get the book Health, Wealth and Happiness, theologians David Jones and Russell Woodbridge characterize the doctrine as poor theology

Nice to have you here, nora544.

I will endeavor to get the book and study it. There isnt an end to the acquisition of knowledge as far as one is alive.....

1 Like

Re: My Grouse With The Prosperity Gospel! by dein77(m): 11:38am On Nov 15, 2014
nora544:

Just added it to my shopping list on Amazon......It promises to be a good read. The short preface I read said it all. Thanks...

1 Like

Re: My Grouse With The Prosperity Gospel! by PastorKun(m): 12:42pm On Nov 15, 2014
dein77:

@ bolded;

Nice to see you have agreed to read the book Nora recommended, whilst you are at it have you ever come across any scripture were Jesus in his own words promised believers material prosperity?
Re: My Grouse With The Prosperity Gospel! by dein77(m): 2:14pm On Nov 15, 2014
PastorKun:

Nice to see you have agreed to read the book Nora recommended, whilst you are at it have you ever come across any scripture were Jesus in his own words promised believers material prosperity?

Yeah. Matthew 6.33 readily comes to mind.

3 Likes

Re: My Grouse With The Prosperity Gospel! by PastorKun(m): 8:57pm On Nov 15, 2014
dein77:

Yeah. Matthew 6.33 readily comes to mind.

"Seek ye first the kingdom of God and every other thing shall be added on to you"

I don't see any promise of material prosperity in this verse except you want to force a preconceived notion into scripture.

1 Like

Re: My Grouse With The Prosperity Gospel! by honourhim: 9:51pm On Nov 15, 2014
PastorKun:

"Seek ye first the kingdom of God and every other thing shall be added on to you"

I don't see any promise of material prosperity in this verse except you want to force a preconceived notion into scripture.

In the preceding verses Jesus was addressing the issue of seeking for material things. He now said that our heavenly father knows that we have need of them but that we should seek first the kingdom of God. then all these things will be added. So that places was talking about material things.

I think the instruction says we should not seek for it but that it will be added to us when we seek righteusness.

1 Like

Re: My Grouse With The Prosperity Gospel! by lastmessenger: 10:12pm On Nov 15, 2014
honourhim:

In the preceding verses Jesus was addressing the issue of seeking for material things. He now said that our heavenly father knows that we have need of them but that we should seek first the kingdom of God. then all these things will be added. So that places was talking about material things.

I think the instruction says we should not seek for it but that it will be added to us when we seek righteusness.
Now the problem is that the prosperity gospel goes against Jesus intruction not to seek materials.
Prosperity gospel makes christains to seek material things at the expense of the kingdom and that is why they will endeavor to pay tithe even while still living is sin
Re: My Grouse With The Prosperity Gospel! by Candour(m): 10:26pm On Nov 15, 2014
honourhim:

While I'm not saying God can't bless his children with material prosperity, it is necessary to correct the wrong impression folks draw from matt 6:33. That scripture was assuring the audience of God's capability to meet their needs, not pour down riches.

See what Christ said earlier

Matthew 6:25, 31-32 KJV
Therefore I say unto you, Take no thought for your life, what ye shall eat, or what ye shall drink; nor yet for your body, what ye shall put on. Is not the life more than meat, and the body than raiment? [31] Therefore take no thought, saying, What shall we eat? or, What shall we drink? or, Wherewithal shall we be clothed? [32] (For after all these things do the Gentiles seeksmiley for your heavenly Father knoweth that ye have need of all these things.

We can see what Christ said these guys shouldn't worry about. Not luxuries, prosperity, flamboyance etc, no. He asked them not to worry about meeting their daily needs because God knew they needed their daily necessities met. Then Christ assured them thus

Matthew 6:33 KJV
But seek ye first the kingdom of God, and his righteousness; and all these things shall be added unto you.

What are the things God will add to the audience? Not prosperity, not riches but the things Christ listed earlier; food, clothes and drink which are what a human being needs.

Christ promised to meet needs, not wants. Even Paul reiterated it below

Philippians 4:19 KJV
But my God shall supply all your need according to his riches in glory by Christ Jesus.

We can look for another scripture that promises riches but matt 6:33 has nothing to do with wealth.

2 Likes

Re: My Grouse With The Prosperity Gospel! by honourhim: 11:38pm On Nov 15, 2014
Candour:

While I'm not saying God can't bless his children with material prosperity, it is necessary to correct the wrong impression folks draw from matt 6:33. That scripture was assuring the audience of God's capability to meet their needs, not pour down riches.

See what Christ said earlier

Matthew 6:25, 31-32 KJV
Therefore I say unto you, Take no thought for your life, what ye shall eat, or what ye shall drink; nor yet for your body, what ye shall put on. Is not the life more than meat, and the body than raiment? [31] Therefore take no thought, saying, What shall we eat? or, What shall we drink? or, Wherewithal shall we be clothed? [32] (For after all these things do the Gentiles seeksmiley for your heavenly Father knoweth that ye have need of all these things.

We can see what Christ said these guys shouldn't worry about. Not luxuries, prosperity, flamboyance etc, no. He asked them not to worry about meeting their daily needs because God knew they needed their daily necessities met. Then Christ assured them thus

Matthew 6:33 KJV
But seek ye first the kingdom of God, and his righteousness; and all these things shall be added unto you.

What are the things God will add to the audience? Not prosperity, not riches but the things Christ listed earlier; food, clothes and drink which are what a human being needs.

Christ promised to meet needs, not wants. Even Paul reiterated it below

Philippians 4:19 KJV
But my God shall supply all your need according to his riches in glory by Christ Jesus.

We can look for another scripture that promises riches but matt 6:33 has nothing to do with wealth.

Yea I agree with this.
Re: My Grouse With The Prosperity Gospel! by enm(m): 6:39pm On Nov 17, 2014
honourhim:

Have replied you
Re: My Grouse With The Prosperity Gospel! by petikal(m): 8:09am On Nov 18, 2014
Rubbish on limiting God to just "needs". He's much bigger than that, and can provide far beyond our imagination.

Phil 4:19 is translated in proper English. "My God shall supply all your wants" makes no grammatical sense. How about Psalm 23:1? The Lord is my Shepherd I shall not want?

We're urged to correctly divide the word of Truth through the help of the Holy Spirit. So, yes, when you seek the Kingdom of God first, everything else will be added [through Faith]. Now what we do with the provisions reflects even more on our love for God and people.

1 Like

Re: My Grouse With The Prosperity Gospel! by rabzy: 11:20am On Nov 21, 2014
petikal:
Rubbish on limiting God to just "needs". He's much bigger than that, and can provide far beyond our imagination.

Phil 4:19 is translated in proper English. "My God shall supply all your wants" makes no grammatical sense. How about Psalm 23:1? The Lord is my Shepherd I shall not want?

We're urged to correctly divide the word of Truth through the help of the Holy Spirit. So, yes, when you seek the Kingdom of God first, everything else will be added [through Faith]. Now what we do with the provisions reflects even more on our love for God and people.

Some Bible translations cited phil 4:19 as need and if you look at the context of paul's statement he was talking not about wants but needs and how his needs were met by the contributions of the Philippians. he was not talking about luxuries and he said God would also reciprocate the gesture to them in turn.
Moreso it is English that differentiates between wants and needs, the original bible language may not have such specificity.

While God can give more than you will ever need, but it is at his discretion. it is not a right or a birthright of xtians to have wealth more than than they can ever want.

1 Like

Re: My Grouse With The Prosperity Gospel! by petikal(m): 8:08am On Nov 23, 2014
rabzy:

Some Bible translations cited phil 4:19 as need and if you look at the context of paul's statement he was talking not about wants but needs and how his needs were met by the contributions of the Philippians. he was not talking about luxuries and he said God would also reciprocate the gesture to them in turn.
Moreso it is English that differentiates between wants and needs, the original bible language may not have such specificity.

While God can give more than you will ever need, but it is at his discretion. it is not a right or a birthright of xtians to have wealth more than than they can ever want.

This is purely human idea to stay "humble" - not Biblical. In Phil 4:18, Paul was actually talking about having MORE than he needed/wanted because he kept receiving gifts.

Yes, it IS a Christian's right (or inheritance) to be blessed abundantly in ALL areas of life - including material things. This is all over scriptures, from the inheritance of Abraham to asking "WHATSOVER ye desire in my name"- John 14:13. Often people perish for lack of knowledge. When you understand that God has already made provisions, you realize that many times what's holding us back IS us and our tiny wandering myopic mindset.

Seek after His Kingdom and His righteousness - that includes using the resources/wisdom He blessed us with for His glory - and everything else will be added. If that's what He said, then I trust Him to do His part as the Holy Spirit helps me do mine.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: My Grouse With The Prosperity Gospel! by MAYOWAAK: 8:34am On Nov 23, 2014
Tithe in Nigerian churches… .just like Tax.... increases inequality gap. It doesn't bridge the hell-like hole of inequitable distribution of income and wealth.

The differences between Tithe and Tax in Nigeria are:

1. One is paid forcefully, and sometimes with great avoidance and occasional tantrums while the other is paid willing and with low rate of default, with no resistance .

2. One is collected with an assurance of tangible and logical benefits in form of free schools, good roads, stable electricity, reduced poverty etc. While the other is collected with a miraculous promise of reward and illogical benefits by people who don't construct roads, build free schools, generate public electricity and manage the economy. It's ironical that the proceeds of Tithe are more than the proceeds of Tax as some willingly pay 30%… 50% even 70% instead of the normal 10%.

Remember: no blueprint of what the money will be used for. Yet, the proceeds come in willingly.

3. No Tithe exemption but there is Tax exemption. You being a student doesn't mean you wont pay "direct tithe" ...you just have to pay it from your allowances or pocket money.... but students don't pay "direct tax" (take that for the sake of simplicity. Don't let us go deep into economics of tax). I once paid tithe in the university as a poor student.

4. Tithe collectors and beneficiaries are most times exempted from paying tax while tithe payers still pay taxes. Double taxation from some people and double "exemption" from some people.

You don't need to think too much in understanding why more than 80% of wealth in Nigeria is greatly enjoyed by less than 20% of Nigerians. The tithe you pay is jealously enjoyed by some few persons and their cronies while the taxes you pay are also being embezzled by some microscopic few and their goons.

Both ways, you are. bleeped. You don't like your financial and economic state. You don't like the tax eaters. Yet the tithe eaters pacify you to keep your cool. Not to sin in protestation. They know you might resist them too if you protest against the tax eaters. Both criminals are working against you. They will always numb your intellect in seeing the bigger picture.

No matter the solace and assurance of good life and wealth you get from your tithe eaters, your welfare and wellbeing still heavily depend on your tax eaters. You are doomed.

You or your children don't go to the schools, hospitals, transport bought by your tithe eaters, you depend on the tax eaters. You don't protest marginalization, irresponsibility, unaccountability and careless abandonment by your tithe eaters, where most of your income perish, why should you protest your tax eaters ? too bad, you evade tax but never default in paying tithes. Direct your confusion to appropriate quarters.

I have explained two theories before in respect of tithe.

1. Stakeholder theory
2. Shareholders theory

Number one says that the company is responsible for some social responsibilities in form of charity and scholarships etc and the managers of the company should use part of the companies' profits for that before distributing the remainder to the shareholders as dividends.

This is based on the assumption that the shareholders -individually- will not spend their dividends on social responsibilities.

Your pastors and government are your managers who are not using your moneys the way you will use them. They are conflicting your interest.

Shareholders theory says that all the business profit should be distributed to shareholders as dividend and allow them to use the money for charity or wherever if they want. The business of the business is to make profit.

If you can do what your pastors and government can do for you by yourself, I think you should do it.

You know it in your mind that you get more benefits from the government than from your church. Yet, you evade taxes and willingly pay tithes. You know you can protest bad government regime but you cannot protest your evil pastors.

Make a wise choice. I have said my own.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Grouse With The Prosperity Gospel! by dein77(m): 8:45am On Nov 23, 2014
MAYOWAAK:
Tithe in Nigerian churches… .just like Tax.... increases inequality gap. It doesn't bridge the hell-like hole of inequitable distribution of income and wealth.

1. One is paid forcefully, and sometimes with great avoidance and occasional tantrums while the other is paid willing and with low rate of default, with no resistance .

2. One is collected with an assurance of tangible and logical benefits in form of free schools, good roads, stable electricity, reduced poverty etc. While the other is collected with a miraculous promise of reward and illogical benefits by people who don't construct roads, build free schools, generate public electricity and manage the economy. It's ironical that the proceeds of Tithe are more than the proceeds of Tax as some willingly pay 30%… 50% even 70% instead of the normal 10%.

Remember: no blueprint of what the money will be used for. Yet, the proceeds come in willingly.

3. No Tithe exemption but there is Tax exemption. You being a student doesn't mean you wont pay "direct tithe" ...you just have to pay it from your allowances or pocket money.... but students don't pay "direct tax" (take that for the sake of simplicity. Don't let us go deep into economics of tax). I once paid tithe in the university as a poor student.

4. Tithe collectors and beneficiaries are most times exempted from paying tax while tithe payers still pay taxes. Double taxation from some people and double "exemption" from some people.

You don't need to think too much in understanding why more than 80% of wealth in Nigeria is greatly enjoyed by less than 20% of Nigerians. The tithe you pay is jealously enjoyed by some few persons and their cronies while the taxes you pay are also being embezzled by some microscopic few and their goons.

Both ways, you are. bleeped. You don't like your financial and economic state. You don't like the tax eaters. Yet the tithe eaters pacify you to keep your cool. Not to sin in protestation. They know you might resist them too if you protest against the tax eaters. Both criminals are working against you. They will always numb your intellect in seeing the bigger picture.

No matter the solace and assurance of good life and wealth you get from your tithe eaters, your welfare and wellbeing still heavily depend on your tax eaters. You are doomed.

You or your children don't go to the schools, hospitals, transport bought by your tithe eaters, you depend on the tax eaters. You don't protest marginalization, irresponsibility, unaccountability and careless abandonment by your tithe eaters, where most of your income perish, why should you protest your tax eaters ? too bad, you evade tax but never default in paying tithes. Direct your confusion to appropriate quarters.

1. Stakeholder theory
2. Shareholders theory

Number one says that the company is responsible for some social responsibilities in form of charity and scholarships etc and the managers of the company should use part of the companies' profits for that before distributing the remainder to the shareholders as dividends.

This is based on the assumption that the shareholders -individually- will not spend their dividends on social responsibilities.

Your pastors and government are your managers who are not using your moneys the way you will use them. They are conflicting your interest.

Shareholders theory says that all the business profit should be distributed to shareholders as dividend and allow them to use the money for charity or wherever if they want. The business of the business is to make profit.

If you can do what your pastors and government can do for you by yourself, I think you should do it.

You know it in your mind that you get more benefits from the government than from your church. Yet, you evade taxes and willingly pay tithes. You know you can protest bad government regime but you cannot protest your evil pastors.

Thanks for the exposition. I appreciate.

I have become smarter these days. I no longer part with my money without some good reasons.

No amount of subtle threats, emotionalism, sweet talks, indirect swindling, etc, can make me let go of my hard earned cash just like that.

1 Like

Re: My Grouse With The Prosperity Gospel! by dein77(m): 8:47am On Nov 23, 2014
MAYOWAAK:

1. Stakeholder theory
2. Shareholders theory

I have become smarter these days. I no longer part with my money without some good reasons.

No amount of subtle threats, emotionalism, sweet talks, indirect swindling, etc, can make me let go of my hard earned cash just like that.

Bro, the brainwashing don too much.

1 Like

Re: My Grouse With The Prosperity Gospel! by Nobody: 5:53pm On Nov 23, 2014
dein77:

Bro, the brainwashing don too much.
Who said God needed your money
Re: My Grouse With The Prosperity Gospel! by dein77(m): 6:30pm On Nov 23, 2014
Bidam:
Who said God needed your money

Bidam, happy Sunday.

God doesn't need our money. That's the more reason the emphasis on money nauseates me.
Re: My Grouse With The Prosperity Gospel! by Nobody: 6:41pm On Nov 23, 2014
dein77:

Bidam, happy Sunday.

God doesn't need our money. That's the more reason the emphasis on money nauseates me.
Yeah and that is why generosity was encouraged by Paul so that there be equality in the household of God 2cor 8. Happy sunday too.

1 Like

Re: My Grouse With The Prosperity Gospel! by dein77(m): 6:53pm On Nov 23, 2014
Bidam:
Yeah and that is why generosity was encouraged by Paul so that there be equality in the household of God 2cor 8. Happy sunday too.

Giving cheerfully is the appropriate thing. God only blesses such....

1 Like

Re: My Grouse With The Prosperity Gospel! by Nobody: 8:15pm On Nov 23, 2014
dein77:

Giving cheerfully is the appropriate thing. God only blesses such....
I agree.
Re: My Grouse With The Prosperity Gospel! by rabzy: 5:05pm On Nov 26, 2014
petikal:

This is purely human idea to stay "humble" - not Biblical. In Phil 4:18, Paul was actually talking about having MORE than he needed/wanted because he kept receiving gifts.

Yes, it IS a Christian's right (or inheritance) to be blessed abundantly in ALL areas of life - including material things. This is all over scriptures, from the inheritance of Abraham to asking "WHATSOVER ye desire in my name"- John 14:13. Often people perish for lack of knowledge. When you understand that God has already made provisions, you realize that many times what's holding us back IS us and our tiny wandering myopic mindset.

Seek after His Kingdom and His righteousness - that includes using the resources/wisdom He blessed us with for His glory - and everything else will be added. If that's what He said, then I trust Him to do His part as the Holy Spirit helps me do mine.

This theology is not totally true. It is not a right ans several examples proves it.

IF YOU are faithful to God, will he bless you with riches? Perhaps, but probably not with the sort of riches you expect. Consider Mary, the mother of Jesus. The angel Gabriel appeared to her and said that she was “highly favored” by God and that she would give birth to the Son of God. (Luke 1:28, 30-32) Yet, she was not wealthy. When Mary offered a sacrifice after Jesus’ birth, she presented “a pair of turtledoves or two young pigeons,” which was the customary offering that poor people made to Jehovah.—Luke 2:24; Leviticus 12:8.
Did the fact that Mary was poor mean that she did not have God’s blessing? On the contrary, when she went to visit Elizabeth, her relative, “Elizabeth was filled with holy spirit, and she called out with a loud cry and said: ‘Blessed are you [Mary] among women, and blessed is the fruit of your womb!’” (Luke 1:41, 42) Mary was privileged to become the earthly mother of God’s beloved Son.

Jesus himself was not a rich man. Not only was he born and brought up in humble surroundings but he was poor throughout his life on earth. He once told a man who was seeking to be a disciple: “Foxes have dens and birds of heaven have roosts, but the Son of man has nowhere to lay down his head.”
In fact, the majority of Christians in the first century were of limited means. When a man lame from birth asked for money, Peter replied: “Silver and gold I do not possess, but what I do have is what I give you: In the name of Jesus Christ the Nazarene, walk

The words of the disciple James also indicate that the Christian congregation was basically composed of poor people. He wrote: “Listen, my beloved brothers. God chose the ones who are poor respecting the world to be rich in faith and heirs of the kingdom, which he promised to those who love him, did he not?” (James 2:5)
In a letter that Jesus sent to the congregation in Smyrna, he said: “I know your tribulation and poverty—but you are rich.” (Revelation 2:8, 9) The Christians at Smyrna, though poor, possessed riches far more valuable than silver or gold. They were rich because of their faith and integrity to God.

2 Likes

Re: My Grouse With The Prosperity Gospel! by rabzy: 5:07pm On Nov 26, 2014
petikal:

This is purely human idea to stay "humble" - not Biblical.

you need to explain what you mean by this, before i can respond.

1 Like

Re: My Grouse With The Prosperity Gospel! by Nobody: 5:37pm On Nov 26, 2014
MAYOWAAK:

1. Stakeholder theory
2. Shareholders theory

Best comment I have read in a decade.

well done !
Re: My Grouse With The Prosperity Gospel! by petikal(m): 10:36pm On Nov 26, 2014
rabzy:

This theology is not totally true. It is not a right ans several examples proves it.

IF YOU are faithful to God, will he bless you with riches? Perhaps, but probably not with the sort of riches you expect. Consider Mary, the mother of Jesus. The angel Gabriel appeared to her and said that she was “highly favored” by God and that she would give birth to the Son of God. (Luke 1:28, 30-32) Yet, she was not wealthy. When Mary offered a sacrifice after Jesus’ birth, she presented “a pair of turtledoves or two young pigeons,” which was the customary offering that poor people made to Jehovah.—Luke 2:24; Leviticus 12:8.
Did the fact that Mary was poor mean that she did not have God’s blessing? On the contrary, when she went to visit Elizabeth, her relative, “Elizabeth was filled with holy spirit, and she called out with a loud cry and said: ‘Blessed are you [Mary] among women, and blessed is the fruit of your womb!’” (Luke 1:41, 42) Mary was privileged to become the earthly mother of God’s beloved Son.

Jesus himself was not a rich man. Not only was he born and brought up in humble surroundings but he was poor throughout his life on earth. He once told a man who was seeking to be a disciple: “Foxes have dens and birds of heaven have roosts, but the Son of man has nowhere to lay down his head.”
In fact, the majority of Christians in the first century were of limited means. When a man lame from birth asked for money, Peter replied: “Silver and gold I do not possess, but what I do have is what I give you: In the name of Jesus Christ the Nazarene, walk

The words of the disciple James also indicate that the Christian congregation was basically composed of poor people. He wrote: “Listen, my beloved brothers. God chose the ones who are poor respecting the world to be rich in faith and heirs of the kingdom, which he promised to those who love him, did he not?” (James 2:5)
In a letter that Jesus sent to the congregation in Smyrna, he said: “I know your tribulation and poverty—but you are rich.” (Revelation 2:8, 9) The Christians at Smyrna, though poor, possessed riches far more valuable than silver or gold. They were rich because of their faith and integrity to God.

So you agree Paul had more than he needed in Phil 4:18? Many of your references, when put in proper context, can be debunked. Does the scripture say "give and perhaps... maybe it shall be given back to you with somewhat good measure, pressed down, shaken together, running over"? The point is there are principles God set in place, and if we diligently obey them through Faith with help of His Spirit, He will do His part. Giving and receiving is just one of many principles.

Oh BTW, Jesus may be born in a manger to a Carpenter for obviously a divine reason, but he definitely wasn't poor. Again, context.

Why can't Christians be rich in faith AND material wealth? Whose fault would it be: God's or ours?

Yes, eternal riches are far superior to earthly gains, but it will be ignorant to think God doesn't delight in the prosperity of His Children here on earth. His people perish for lack of knowledge.

1 Like

Re: My Grouse With The Prosperity Gospel! by rabzy: 11:56am On Dec 03, 2014
petikal:

So you agree Paul had more than he needed in Phil 4:18? Many of your references, when put in proper context, can be debunked. Does the scripture say "give and perhaps... maybe it shall be given back to you with somewhat good measure, pressed down, shaken together, running over"? The point is there are principles God set in place, and if we diligently obey them through Faith with help of His Spirit, He will do His part. Giving and receiving is just one of many principles.

Oh BTW, Jesus may be born in a manger to a Carpenter for obviously a divine reason, but he definitely wasn't poor. Again, context.

Why can't Christians be rich in faith AND material wealth? Whose fault would it be: God's or ours?

Yes, eternal riches are far superior to earthly gains, but it will be ignorant to think God doesn't delight in the prosperity of His Children here on earth. His people perish for lack of knowledge.

Paul had the essentials he needed because the Philippians were very generous and took care of his needs but often times he had little. He even needed to make tents to survive some times.

I never said Christians cant be rich in faith and also material wealth, in fact there are many there were materially rich e.g lydia and they helped their fellow Christians in times of hardship and famine. What we are saying is that Christians are not immune to hardship and can be poor in material riches. God never promised that once you are a christian, you are guaranteed of material riches. Evidence in the history of Worshipers of God from Israel to Christian times show that a lot of God's worshipers were financially poor and they were highly favored ad blessed.

A christian should know that whether he is rich or poor financially his relationship with God can be sustained and most importantly we must learn self-sufficiency and Godly-contentment.

(Philippians 4:11-13) 11 Not that I am speaking with regard to being in want, for I have learned, in whatever circumstances I am, to be self-sufficient. 12[b] I know indeed how to be low [on provisions], I know indeed how to have an abundance.[/b] In everything and in all circumstances I have learned the secret of both how to be full and how to hunger, both how to have an abundance and how to suffer want. 13 For all things I have the strength by virtue of him who imparts power to me.

(1 Timothy 6:6-11) 6 To be sure, there is great gain in godly devotion along with contentment. 7 For we have brought nothing into the world, and neither can we carry anything out. 8 So, having food and clothing, we will be content with these things. 9 But those who are determined to be rich fall into temptation and a snare and many senseless and harmful desires that plunge men into destruction and ruin. 10 For the love of money is a root of all sorts of injurious things, and by reaching out for this love some have been led astray from the faith and have stabbed themselves all over with many pains. 11 However, you, O man of God, flee from these things. But pursue righteousness, godly devotion, faith, love, endurance, and mildness. . .
Re: My Grouse With The Prosperity Gospel! by rabzy: 12:09pm On Dec 03, 2014
petikal:

BTW, i never said Jesus was poor because he was born in a manger, there is no place in the Bible that says he was born in a manger to a carpenter for a divine reason....i said he was poor because he was born into a poor family.

Carpenters were not rich men in the Jewish society of that time and of course his parents could only afford a dove for his dedication at the time. Certainly God delights in the prosperity of his children, but he delights more in their faith and promises prosperity for all in paradise.

God even cautions us to be careful of seeking riches and great things because of the risk of losing our faith. (Jeremiah 45:5) 5 But you are seeking great things for yourself. Stop seeking such things.”’ “‘For I am about to bring a calamity on all flesh,’ declares Jehovah, ‘and wherever you may go, I will grant you your life as a spoil.’”

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Jesus Christ Is The Father Of My Baby, Pregnant Tean Claims. / Signs That You Are Not A Child Of God / The Fear Of Death Is The Beginning Of Wisdom For The Atheist

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 135
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.