Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,403 members, 7,808,437 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 11:59 AM

Nigeria Is Not The Giant Of Africa! - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigeria Is Not The Giant Of Africa! (7730 Views)

What Makes Nigeria The Giant Of Africa / Nigeria Is Indeed The Giant Of Africa / Woe! To Nigerian Government. Ghana Is Now The Giant Of Africa! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigeria Is Not The Giant Of Africa! by ugborikoko(m): 12:13pm On Nov 25, 2008
Nigeria claims being the giant of Africa. I believe this claim to be unfounded. To be a giant you must be higher than everyone else, interms of economic growth, military power, a role model for others to follow. People say Nigeria is rich because of its oil wealth, this too is unfounded. The curent external reserves of Nigeria is $63 billion and falling, due to low oil price. If this money is shared to the 146million Nigerians, each one will have $431 or about 50,000 naira for the whole year. How long can this amount sustain any one?

The military i also doubt, who could not locate a missing jet in the country`s airspace.

Nigeria has potential, as with all countries in Africa. What Makes the difference is bringing that potential to life, for the benefit of the majority. South Africa is my pick for gaint of Africa.

Any Objections anyone??
Re: Nigeria Is Not The Giant Of Africa! by ono(m): 12:18pm On Nov 25, 2008
No objection. Spot on. Nice analysis.
Re: Nigeria Is Not The Giant Of Africa! by faoni572(m): 12:51pm On Nov 25, 2008
I am a Nigerian but I don't have any objections to what you have said
Re: Nigeria Is Not The Giant Of Africa! by Angelheart: 1:16pm On Nov 25, 2008
Nigeria has the potential to be the Giant of Africa. Corruption is Nigeria's worst enemy. If ur government can get its act right, you country could be alive with possibilities.

I agree with you on South Africa
Re: Nigeria Is Not The Giant Of Africa! by asha80(m): 2:03pm On Nov 25, 2008
NIGERIA IS THE GIANT OF AFRICA

The above statement is figment of a deluded nigerian imagination
Re: Nigeria Is Not The Giant Of Africa! by morpheus24: 3:28pm On Nov 25, 2008
DEPENDS ON YOUR DEFINITION OF "GIANT"

NIGERIA WAS THE THE GIANT OF AFRICA PRE 1994

TECHNICALLY SA JUST BECAME AN AFRICAN STATE IN THAT YEAR.
Re: Nigeria Is Not The Giant Of Africa! by RSA(m): 3:33pm On Nov 25, 2008
morpheus24:

DEPENDS ON YOUR DEFINITION OF "GIANT"

NIGERIA WAS THE THE GIANT OF AFRICA PRE 1994

TECHNICALLY SA JUST BECAME AN AFRICAN STATE IN THAT YEAR.

Then it means Egypt was the Giant of Africa pre 1994.Or Egypt is not African enough?
Re: Nigeria Is Not The Giant Of Africa! by DRANOEL(m): 3:38pm On Nov 25, 2008
neither egypt or southafrica the giant remains naija though sleeping
Re: Nigeria Is Not The Giant Of Africa! by morpheus24: 3:40pm On Nov 25, 2008
RSA:

Then it means Egypt was the Giant of Africa pre 1994.Or Egypt is not African enough?

Bros no vex. Iam only telling it as it is.

Egypt considers itself African when it is convenient for them
Re: Nigeria Is Not The Giant Of Africa! by RSA(m): 3:40pm On Nov 25, 2008
Richest Countries in Africa

Rank Country GDP - per capita
1 Equatorial Guinea $ 50,200
2 Mauritius $ 13,500
3 South Africa $ 13,000
4 Libya $ 12,700
5 Botswana $ 11,400
6 Tunisia $ 8,600
7 Seychelles $ 7,800
8 Algeria $ 7,700
9 Namibia $ 7,400
10 Gabon $ 7,200

Source:http://www.aneki.com/africa_richest.html

I don't see Nigeria in the top ten,where is Naija?Please help!
Re: Nigeria Is Not The Giant Of Africa! by morpheus24: 3:42pm On Nov 25, 2008
RSA:

2 Mauritius $ 13,500
3 South Africa $ 13,000
4 Libya $ 12,700
5 Botswana $ 11,400
6 Tunisia $ 8,600
7 Seychelles $ 7,800
8 Algeria $ 7,700
9 Namibia $ 7,400
10 Gabon $ 7,200

Source: http://www.aneki.com/africa_richest.html

My guy that is information that is verifiable plus you have to factor in population size. Botswana has only about 2million people. You can't compare porportionately. You understand.
Re: Nigeria Is Not The Giant Of Africa! by DRANOEL(m): 3:45pm On Nov 25, 2008
@rsa

from your post it shows the giant is equatorial guinea grin grin
Re: Nigeria Is Not The Giant Of Africa! by doyin13(m): 3:46pm On Nov 25, 2008
@poster

Why are you bothering to point out the obvious

@RSA

USA doesn't have the best GDP per capita and yet it is still regarded as
the 'giant of the world' wink
Re: Nigeria Is Not The Giant Of Africa! by RSA(m): 3:58pm On Nov 25, 2008
Yes I aggree,this goes to show that size does not matter,Equatorial guinea' GDP is almost three  time of south africa and possibly six or seven time of Naija.

@doyin13 maybe we should first mention things that make a country to be a giant,from there we can give all the countries point on those elements and the one with most point we declare it the giant of Africa right here on Nairaland and hopefully this question will be answered for good.Shoot.

Another source:http://www.clickafrique.com/Magazine/ST014/CP0000000224.aspx

ClickAfrique has compiled a list of the wealthiest countries in Africa based on the GDP (Growth Domestic Product) per capita for the year 2005 and it is an interesting list. The GDP per capita is the total value of goods and services produced by a nation divided by the number of population of that country. This is only a guide to the expected wealth within a nation’s population but does not give any indication about the distribution of wealth. In this article we have profiled the ten wealthiest on the continent.

10. Cape Verde – GPD per capital: $6,200
This group of islands has one of the most stable democratic governments in Africa. This has however not stopped a significant amount of the population from emigrating, especially in the late part of the last century when a series of drought caused a lot of hardship for the population. Thus there is now has a larger expatriate population than a domestic one (70% of which reside in rural areas) and they account for about 20% of the country’s GDP through remittances they send back home. It runs a mainly service-based economy, accounting for 66% of the GDP, while agriculture accounts for another 12%.

9. Gabon – GDP per capita: $6,800
Ruled by one of the longest serving heads of states in the World, El Hadj Omar Bongo Ondimba, Gabon has a small population. This along with significant foreign support and abundant resources has helped to make Gabon one of the more prosperous nations in Africa. However there is a major gap between the rich and poor, with majority of its population living in poverty. Local industry, especially the oil and gas industry, account for more than 60% of the GDP.

8. Namibia – GDP per capita: $7,000
Despite only getting its independence in 1990 and having an economy heavily linked to its neighbour, South Africa, Namibia finds itself in the 8th position. However this hides the fact that Namibia has one of the worst distributions of wealth in the world with half of the population depends on subsistence agriculture for its livelihood. One of the world leading exporters of nonfuel minerals in Africa and a great source for high quality diamonds.

7. Algeria – GDP per capita: $7,200
A nation plagues with many social and infrastructure problems; its economy is heavily reliant on the petroleum industry. High energy prices have helped the economy with 60% of the dependent of the sale of the petroleum, which also accounts of 95% of its exports. Despites the government’s efforts to diversify the economy and increase foreign investments, unemployment still remain high.

6. Tunisia – GDP per capita: $8,300
This moderate North African country has a diverse economy with major agricultural, mining, energy, tourism, and manufacturing interests. Although still a mainly a government controlled economy, there has been increasing privatization which is expected to increase foreign investments.

5. Botswana – GDP per capita: $10,500
Forty years of uninterrupted civilian governments, progressive social policies, and considerable capital investment have created one of the most dynamic economies in Africa. These factors, along with fiscal discipline and sound management, have helped Botswana to have one of the fastest growing economies in the world since its independence in 1966 and transformed it from one of the poorest nations in the world to a middle income one.

4. Libya – GDP per capita: $11,400
Libya has been ruled by one man since 1969, Muammar Abu Minyar al-Qadhafi, who has promoted his own political system, the Third Universal Theory. Despite 4 years of UN sanctions following the Lockerbie bombings, Libya still has one of the highest GDP per capita in Africa. However this has failed to transcend to people in the lower end of society despite the small population. The economy is heavily reliant on oil and gas, which account for 95% of its exports and 25% of the GDP.

3. South Africa – GDP per capita: $12,000
Africa’s largest economy has an abundant supply of natural resources with well-developed financial, legal, communications, energy, and transport sectors. Despite the black empowerment movement started in the 1990s, South Africa still has a high unemployment rate, and daunting economic problems which remain from the apartheid era, particularly poverty and lack of economic empowerment among the underprivileged groups.

2. Mauritius – GDP per capita: $13,100
Significant foreign investments brought about by a stable democracy has help Mauritius into the number 2 spot. It has developed a middle-income diversified economy with growing industrial, financial, and tourist sectors from it early post independence days of a low-income, agriculturally based economy.

1. Equatorial Guinea – GDP per capita: $ 50,200
Africa’s wealthiest country goes to Equatorial Guinea by a long mile. It also happens to been the second wealthiest nation in the World, second only to Luxembourg, which had a GDP per capita of $55, 600 in 2005. Equatorial Guinea experienced rapid economic growth since the discovery of large offshore oil reserves, and within the last decade has risen to become third largest oil exporter in Sub-Saharan Africa. Despite its high GDP per capita, majority of the population still live in sub standard conditions.
Re: Nigeria Is Not The Giant Of Africa! by jgirl3: 4:07pm On Nov 25, 2008
RSA:

2 Mauritius $ 13,500
3 South Africa $ 13,000
4 Libya $ 12,700
5 Botswana $ 11,400
6 Tunisia $ 8,600
7 Seychelles $ 7,800
8 Algeria $ 7,700
9 Namibia $ 7,400
10 Gabon $ 7,200

Source: http://www.aneki.com/africa_richest.html

GDP cannot be used as a measure of wealth like that. I refuse to believe that this is an indication of total richness. GNP is a better indicator because it includes foreign investment. If there's anything we know, Nigeria has a very big problem with being on the list when it comes to GDP.

On the other hand. . . I do believe to an extent that Nigeria has a very strong presence in Africa.
I think the reason why South Africa has such a strong presence is because of various historical reasons which I refuse to go into because I can't start an NL-site war. I don't necessarily view us as the giant of Africa.

Our problem is a matter of equality because we have the very rich and the very poor. Almost no middle class and that's why it's like that. If some of them wanted, they could single-handedly purchase another African country with the immense wealth they have acquired e.g. Dangote and some ex-officials.
Re: Nigeria Is Not The Giant Of Africa! by tpia: 4:53pm On Nov 25, 2008
Re: Nigeria Is Not The Giant Of Africa! by Kenezi: 5:13pm On Nov 25, 2008
Nigeria has the largest population, and by extension largest potential military potential and economic (workforce) potential in Africa. Could easily be the "giant".
Re: Nigeria Is Not The Giant Of Africa! by Kobojunkie: 5:34pm On Nov 25, 2008
Kenezi:

Nigeria has the largest population, and by extension largest potential military potential and economic (workforce) potential in Africa. Could easily be the "giant".

Your forgot to add the largest population of very very poor people in all of africa as well. 70 million and counting.
Re: Nigeria Is Not The Giant Of Africa! by dayokanu(m): 6:11pm On Nov 25, 2008
Nigeria has the largest population, and by extension largest potential military potential and economic (workforce) potential in Africa. Could easily be the "giant

World giants are China, India in that order
Re: Nigeria Is Not The Giant Of Africa! by RibaduFan(m): 6:15pm On Nov 25, 2008
Dayo get on messenger
Re: Nigeria Is Not The Giant Of Africa! by oderemo(m): 7:30pm On Nov 25, 2008
what get me most is each time u r in nigeria you c this big ad. about nigeria the biggest market in Africa, what non sense. the biggets disorganise , disorient market i will say.
Re: Nigeria Is Not The Giant Of Africa! by shotster50(m): 7:23am On Nov 26, 2008
People should stop banging on about the bleeding obvious. We are not the giants get over yourselves.
Re: Nigeria Is Not The Giant Of Africa! by RSA(m): 8:03am On Nov 26, 2008
Personally without being arrogant I think in my humble opinion that South Africa is Africa's biggest economy( ,MTN,VODACOM,SHOPRITE,PICK AND PAY,NANDOS,GAME,DION,MULTICHOICE,DE BEERS,SAB,are some of SA economic influence accross the continent)

and have the most advanced military force in Africa and therefore influences most of the decisions in Africa.

SA infrustructures is second to none in the continent.
Re: Nigeria Is Not The Giant Of Africa! by Nobody: 8:49am On Nov 26, 2008
Nigeria has been carrying the epithet THE GIANT OF AFRICA unchallenged. Nigeria easily claims this, and other African countries seem to agree with it.

In terms of Military might, Nigeria has it in Africa. Nigeria is highly respected in Africa, militarily. Thanks to the peace-keeping efforts. Nigeria dominates ECOMOG and other continental military institutions in Africa. Forget about the fact Nigeria is just a one-eyed king among the blind, Nigeria has it in Africa, militarily.

Politically, Mandela single-handed shoots SA high on this scale. But even at then, Nigeria is also highly reverred politically in Africa. By this criteria, it's a straight fight between Nigeria and SA. Honourable mention to Egypt and Ghana.

Economically,SA has it. Egypt also trying. Nigeria has large market because of population but because of corruption and others, the country trails behind SA. This is why SA companies are dominating Nigerian economy.

Technically, SA also has it.

Summarily, I think Sa has greater right to GIANT OF AFRICA claim, but Nigeria is known for mouth-making. Moreover, the country's military power, political dominance, population, pride and SA's alienation from Africa in a way make other African countries tacitly approve Nigeria.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Is Not The Giant Of Africa! by randy(m): 8:51am On Nov 26, 2008
naija all the way man

Nigeria is definitely the giant of Africa, economy, population, military or what u want to call it, check SA or any other african country, if nigeria is not involved i guess u can guess. our government just don't make it work on home ground. even in America, UK, China or India we are involved. u will not understand until u check.

NIGERIA IS THE GIANT OF AFRICA. shikina
Re: Nigeria Is Not The Giant Of Africa! by hollandis(f): 8:57am On Nov 26, 2008
Please nigeria is the giant of africa in epileptic power supply jare
Re: Nigeria Is Not The Giant Of Africa! by Midas02(m): 9:05am On Nov 26, 2008
Giant koo, giant nii!

I pretty much responded to a similar discussion on another thread so I will paraphrase:

"Nigeria’s GDP (PPP value) has a current position that measures 38th in the world. South Africa and Egypt are 25th and 27th respectively. Having said this, it is important to remember that the 38th position is by no means a measure of the government’s performance or of the living standards in Nigeria. The 38th position was not achieved! - It is simply so by virtue of the fact that Nigeria is the 8th most populous nation in the world and the 6th largest exporter of petroleum. For a true measure of development and government performance in Nigeria, we have to look elsewhere. Currently, Nigeria ranks very low in the Human Development Index (HDI) as compiled by United Nations Development Program’s (UNDP) Human Development Report 2007/2008. Nigeria ranks 158th out of a possible 177 position! When using the much lauded "Ibrahim Index of African Governance", which was specifically sponsored and designed for sub-Saharan nations of Africa by Mo Ibrahim Foundation (MIF), Nigeria ranks an embarrassingly low 39th position out of 48 African nations. The 9 countries in sub-Saharan Africa which we seemed to better were all countries that are either currently at war or are recovering from war, genocide or famine."

This pretty much tells the whole story. We are indeed the giant of Africa, the greatest giant failure of Africa!!!
Re: Nigeria Is Not The Giant Of Africa! by ugborikoko(m): 11:38am On Nov 26, 2008
Giant of indescipline and lawlessness, We need a messiah
Re: Nigeria Is Not The Giant Of Africa! by oderemo(m): 10:56pm On Nov 26, 2008
giant of shit.
Re: Nigeria Is Not The Giant Of Africa! by ugborikoko(m): 11:54am On Nov 27, 2008
Nigeria would be Giant of Africa long after we all have died!
Re: Nigeria Is Not The Giant Of Africa! by SapeleGuy: 9:19pm On Feb 13, 2010
My guy nah true u talk, that label be like mockery.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Pictures Of Psquare's Mom Burial In Anambra State / Photos Of Ibadan In The 1960's Vs Photos Of Ibadan Today / 11,350 PDP Members In Katsina Decamp To APC

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.