Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,306 members, 7,808,038 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 05:13 AM

10 Things You Never Knew About Jehovah's Witnesses - Religion (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / 10 Things You Never Knew About Jehovah's Witnesses (9847 Views)

18 Facts That You May Not Know About Jehovah's Witnesses: / 17 Top FACTs U Probably Don't Know About JEHOVAH'S WITNESSES / Facts You Should Know About Jehovah's Witnesses (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 10 Things You Never Knew About Jehovah's Witnesses by mesoade(m): 8:22am On Nov 16, 2014
Leobreezy:
You didn't understand the reason for the bolded. Jesus Christ didn't say his presence would be evident with just one war but by WARS. 1914 heralded the beginning of the bloodiest wars ever known with World War 2 following thereafter. Even historians agree that World War I was the turning point of political events in the world.

I never said 1914 was the bloodiest war, I said it heralded the beginning of the bloodiest wars. That's in line with Jesus' words in Matthew 24:6 that there would be wars and reports of wars
why should the coming of christs be speculated by mere logic? . . What happened to the holy spirit way of giving direction to people? . . Oops! You guys don't believe in holy spirit too?
Re: 10 Things You Never Knew About Jehovah's Witnesses by Leobreezy(m): 8:24am On Nov 16, 2014
paulGrundy:

For an unbaised view of jehovahs witnesses visit wikipaedia.

For a critical, fact based and accurate view of Jehovah's witnesses visit:

jwfacts.com
Did you notice the source of my original post? You better than anyone knows that jwfacts.com is not an unbiased site.

1 Like

Re: 10 Things You Never Knew About Jehovah's Witnesses by mesoade(m): 8:26am On Nov 16, 2014
11. They are very hypocritic
12. They are beggars, na #10 u get wey u wan buy kulikuli take chop garri,den dis ppl wil cum,dem go preach 4 u finish dey beg 4 money.tchai! Hunger wire me dat day sha
Re: 10 Things You Never Knew About Jehovah's Witnesses by paulGrundy(m): 8:26am On Nov 16, 2014
Leobreezy:
I haven't read it, I'm not an elder, you obviously "were". But from my understanding of 2 corinthians 6:14, [size=19pt]I find it hard to understand what else would make a baptised witness have the desire to attend other churches save for the reason that he has been led astray[/size]. You more than anyone knows what happens to such persons.

For the record, I am not a jw, was never a jw can never be a jw.
Re: 10 Things You Never Knew About Jehovah's Witnesses by Leobreezy(m): 8:27am On Nov 16, 2014
paulGrundy:

So does the Bible contradict itself? Does the bible flip flop (inconsistency) on a subject?
The Bible never contradicts itself, lack of understanding of it is what leads to contradiction.

1 Like

Re: 10 Things You Never Knew About Jehovah's Witnesses by Leobreezy(m): 8:28am On Nov 16, 2014
paulGrundy:

For the record, I am not a jw, was never a jw can never be a jw.
You honestly made yourself believe that

1 Like

Re: 10 Things You Never Knew About Jehovah's Witnesses by paulGrundy(m): 8:30am On Nov 16, 2014
Leobreezy:
Did you notice the source of my original post? You better than anyone knows that jwfacts.com is not an unbiased site.

Jwfacts is based on facts, evidence. Remember what the bible said,:

A simple man believes anything he hears, a wise man understands the need for proof

Checks out the facts on that site, and confirm if they are true or not.
Re: 10 Things You Never Knew About Jehovah's Witnesses by malakh7: 8:32am On Nov 16, 2014
mesoade:

12. They are beggars, na #10 u get wey u wan buy kulikuli take chop garri,den dis ppl wil cum,dem go preach 4 u finish dey beg 4 money.tchai! Hunger wire me dat day sha
be civilized please.
I'm not one of them but this is wrong and silly.

2 Likes

Re: 10 Things You Never Knew About Jehovah's Witnesses by paulGrundy(m): 8:34am On Nov 16, 2014
Leobreezy:
The Bible never contradicts itself lack of understanding of it is what leads to contradiction.

So then if the bible has never contradicted itself, and watchtower literature has contradicted itself,

What does that tell you?

Some of watchtower interpretations are not based on the bible.
Re: 10 Things You Never Knew About Jehovah's Witnesses by Leobreezy(m): 8:34am On Nov 16, 2014
mesoade:
11. They are very hypocritic
Those whom we've preached to will bear witness that contributions are solely voluntary based. If you don't have anything to contribute, we still leave our publications. If #10 were so important, how then do we still keep printing Magazines and Brochures that cost millions to produce?

1 Like

Re: 10 Things You Never Knew About Jehovah's Witnesses by Leobreezy(m): 8:38am On Nov 16, 2014
paulGrundy:

So then if the bible has never contradicted itself, and watchtower literature has contradicted itself,

What does that tell you?

Some of watchtower interpretations are not based on the bible.
You're imposing a contradiction which never existed. The Watchtower you posted and that I referred you to both discussed the same thing, resistance to molestation .

1 Like

Re: 10 Things You Never Knew About Jehovah's Witnesses by paulGrundy(m): 8:38am On Nov 16, 2014
Leobreezy:

You honestly made yourself believe that

Several copies of your secretive elders manual » pay attention to yourself and to your flocks« has leaked into the internet. I only refused to quote it here because of legal concerns for Seun and for nairaland.
Re: 10 Things You Never Knew About Jehovah's Witnesses by Leobreezy(m): 8:39am On Nov 16, 2014
paulGrundy:

Jwfacts is based on facts, evidence. Remember what the bible said,:

A simple man believes anything he hears, a wise man understands the need for proof

Checks out the facts on that site, and confirm if they are true or not.
Like I said earlier, you better than anyone knows that jwfacts.com is not an unbiased site. You know the reason for my assertion

1 Like

Re: 10 Things You Never Knew About Jehovah's Witnesses by Leobreezy(m): 8:41am On Nov 16, 2014
paulGrundy:

Several copies of your secretive elders manual » pay attention to yourself and to your flocks« has leaked into the internet. I only refused to quote it here because of legal concerns for Seun and for nairaland.

Leaked by whom? You know the answer.

1 Like

Re: 10 Things You Never Knew About Jehovah's Witnesses by malakh7: 8:43am On Nov 16, 2014
Leobreezy: 3. They Believe The Faithful Are Rewarded With A Paradise On
Earth
Unlike the majority of Christian religions—and even religions
like Islam—that believe in the prospect of going to heaven for
the righteous, Jehovah’s Witnesses stand in stark contrast.
Although they do believe that a certain select group will
receive a heavenly reward , Jehovah’s Witnesses believe that
God will cleanse the Earth of wickedness in the near future.
They also believe that God will reintroduce the paradise
conditions that He intended for the human race in the
beginning. They refer to this time as the re-creation, the
paradise, or the new system of things.
To support this belief, they refer to the model prayer recorded
in Matthew, where Christ prayed for God to carry out His will
for Earth as He wills for heaven. According to their
interpretation of the Bible, His will for the Earth includes a
resurrection of the dead (based on Acts 24:15 and John
5:28–29), harmony between animals and humans (based on
Isaiah 11:6–9), an absence of crime or war (based on Psalm
37:10–11, 29 and Isaiah 2:4), and a removal of all illnesses,
the aging process, and death (based on Isaiah 35:5–6 and
Revelation 21:3–4) among other things.
and "The Faithful" are all Jehovah's Witnesses yes?
Re: 10 Things You Never Knew About Jehovah's Witnesses by Leobreezy(m): 8:47am On Nov 16, 2014
malakh7:
[b][/b]
And by "The Faithful" ...you mean "The Faithful Jehovah's Witnesses" right?

No, those whom Jehovah views as righteous Psalms 37:29

1 Like

Re: 10 Things You Never Knew About Jehovah's Witnesses by malakh7: 8:52am On Nov 16, 2014
Leobreezy:

No, those whom Jehovah views as righteous Psalms 37:29
and who do you guys believe Jehovah see as righteous?
Which Christians are "living up to Jehovah's righteous principles?"
Definitely not "Babylon the great" (Christendom Churches [other churches])
right? smiley
Re: 10 Things You Never Knew About Jehovah's Witnesses by paulGrundy(m): 8:53am On Nov 16, 2014
Leobreezy:
You're imposing a contradiction which never existed. The Watchtower you posted and that I referred you to both discussed the same thing, resistance to molestation .

There have been several cases of contradictions in watchtower literature. That's a discussion for another day let me state one:

SUPERIOR AUTHORITIES

Until 1929, the “superior authorities” or “higher powers” were correctly said by the Watchtower to be the earthly rulers to whom Christians paid taxes and whose laws they were obligated to follow.

“They taught the Church to obey the laws, and to respect those in authority because of their office, even if they were not personally worthy of esteem; to pay their appointed taxes, and, except where they conflicted with God’s laws (Acts 4:19; 5:29), to offer no resistance to any established law. (Rom. 13:1-7; Matt. 22:21)” Studies In the Scriptures Series I - The Divine Plan of the Ages p.266

“The Bible directs the followers of Jesus to be subject to the powers that be. (Romans 13:1-7; 1 Peter 2:13-17) But while seeking to be thus law-abiding in every respect, Christians are to recognize that there is still a higher law and a still higher Ruler, and are to be subject to the worldly powers only in the absence of a contrary admonition from the Higher Power - from God.” Watch Tower 1916 Jan 15

With one of Rutherford’s revelations this changed in 1929.

“The instruction of the thirteenth chapter of Romans has long been misapplied. The improper application has really been the basis for the false doctrine of the “divine right of kings” or rulers to rule and oppress the people. The apostle is, in substance, telling the members of the church that they should always be obedient to God, and that the motive for such obedience must be love for God and a delight in doing’ his will.” Watchtower 1929 Jun 1 p.163

“Both of these scriptures have reference to the government, order and discipline in the organization of the Lord. Applying these words to earthly governments has been misleading and wrongful so far as Christians are concerned.” Watchtower 1929 Jun 15 p.183

From 1929 to 1962 the “superior authorities” became “the Most High God Jehovah and his exalted Son Jesus Christ”. Rutherford used the 1929 position on higher authorities to justify:

Consuming alcohol during the United States prohibition (“God never authorized a prohibition or any other sumptuary law to control the consciences or actions of others.” w29 p.121)

Prevention of Bible Students doing civilian military service (“For this reason the Bible Students devoted to the Lord refuse to take military service, because they are true followers of Christ and must obey God’s law.” w29 p.117)

Banning flag salutes.
By saying that the higher authorities referred to Jehovah rather than earthly rulers, it made breaking the law easy to introduce.

In 1962, the Society returned to the original position of Russell. A statement in Babylon the Great Has Fallen! God’s Kingdom Rules! page 548 indicated there was a change in understanding;

“In spite of the end of the Gentile Times in 1914, God permitted the political authorities of this world to continue as the ‘higher powers’ or the ‘powers that be,’ which are ‘ordained of God’.”
This was explained in detail through the November 1, November 15 and December 1 editions of the Watchtower in 1962

Source: jwfacts.com
Re: 10 Things You Never Knew About Jehovah's Witnesses by paulGrundy(m): 8:57am On Nov 16, 2014
Leobreezy:
Like I said earlier, you better than anyone knows that jwfacts.com is not an unbiased site. You know the reason for my assertion

Jwfacts.com puts to checks and balances on the exaggerations and right sided biasedness of jw.org. Like I said earlier, their claims are based on facts, evidence.

I guess you know that jw.org is biased in favour of jehovahs witnesses.
Re: 10 Things You Never Knew About Jehovah's Witnesses by paulGrundy(m): 8:59am On Nov 16, 2014
Leobreezy:

Leaked by whom? You know the answer.

Your elders ofcourse.

Anyway I enjoyed the conversation we had I do hope we can have more discussions like this in future. smiley
Re: 10 Things You Never Knew About Jehovah's Witnesses by Leobreezy(m): 9:05am On Nov 16, 2014
paulGrundy:

There have been several cases of contradictions in watchtower literature. That's a discussion for another day let me state one:

SUPERIOR AUTHORITIES

Source: jwfacts.com
The publications you quoted rightly confirms our former views regarding respect for government authorities. However such views have been adjusted with time as you rightly pointed out. That no longer forms the basis of our belief as it is obsolete, as such it is not a contradiction. If a majority of us still held such views in light of the new adjustments, that would be a contradiction. But Jehovah's Witnesses worldwide currently hold one view with regard to respect for government authorities. Hence no contradiction exists.

1 Like

Re: 10 Things You Never Knew About Jehovah's Witnesses by Leobreezy(m): 9:12am On Nov 16, 2014
malakh7:

and who do you guys believe Jehovah see as righteous?
Which Christians are "living up to Jehovah's righteous principles?"
Definitely not "Babylon the great" (Christendom Churches [other churches])
right? smiley
If you know what Jehovah's righteous standards are, you wouldn't need an answer from me.

1 Like

Re: 10 Things You Never Knew About Jehovah's Witnesses by Leobreezy(m): 9:14am On Nov 16, 2014
paulGrundy:

Your elders ofcourse.

Anyway I enjoyed the conversation we had I do hope we can have more discussions like this in future. smiley
You know that's not true at least not in the present situation.
Re: 10 Things You Never Knew About Jehovah's Witnesses by Leobreezy(m): 9:19am On Nov 16, 2014
paulGrundy:

Jwfacts.com puts to checks and balances on the exaggerations and right sided biasedness of jw.org. Like I said earlier, their claims are based on facts, evidence.

I guess you know that jw.org is biased in favour of jehovahs witnesses.
Be honest with yourself, what's the sole aim of jwfacts.com? Have you "heard the other side" as it were, with regard to articles posted on jwfacts.com or do you simply accept what you see there as true? Can you call that unbiased?

1 Like

Re: 10 Things You Never Knew About Jehovah's Witnesses by malakh7: 9:25am On Nov 16, 2014
Leobreezy:

If you know what Jehovah's righteous standards are, you wouldn't need an answer from me.
well I don't ...so please ..answer undecided
Re: 10 Things You Never Knew About Jehovah's Witnesses by Leobreezy(m): 9:36am On Nov 16, 2014
malakh7:

well I don't ...so please ..answer undecided
If I referred you to some portions of the bible, would you, without reservations come to an honest conclusion?

1 Like

Re: 10 Things You Never Knew About Jehovah's Witnesses by paulGrundy(m): 11:37am On Nov 16, 2014
Leobreezy:

You know that's not true at least not in the present situation.

Not true? Lol you are very funny grin grin

Then who leaked it to the internet? Maybe satan came out from hades and snatched the book so that he can copy and paste on the internet.
Re: 10 Things You Never Knew About Jehovah's Witnesses by paulGrundy(m): 11:42am On Nov 16, 2014
Leobreezy:

Be honest with yourself, what's the sole aim of jwfacts.com? Have you "heard the other side" as it were, with regard to articles posted on jwfacts.com or do you simply accept what you see there as true? Can you call that unbiased?

Jwfacts.com is not biased though its very critical. I have seen the other side, and believe you me, its filled with lies misquotes, exaggerations, misleading information and misrepresentations.
Re: 10 Things You Never Knew About Jehovah's Witnesses by paulGrundy(m): 11:44am On Nov 16, 2014
Leobreezy:

The publications you quoted rightly confirms our former views regarding respect for government authorities. However such views have been adjusted with time as you rightly pointed out. That no longer forms the basis of our belief as it is obsolete, as such it is not a contradiction. If a majority of us still held such views in light of the new adjustments, that would be a contradiction. But Jehovah's Witnesses worldwide currently hold one view with regard to respect for government authorities. Hence no contradiction exists.

But even at that it raises a very important issue, watchtower interpretations are inconsistent.
Re: 10 Things You Never Knew About Jehovah's Witnesses by paulGrundy(m): 11:49am On Nov 16, 2014
Leobreezy:
The Bible never contradicts itself, lack of understanding of it is what leads to contradiction.

Aha beautiful! smiley now we are getting somewhere.
Re: 10 Things You Never Knew About Jehovah's Witnesses by Leobreezy(m): 11:54am On Nov 16, 2014
paulGrundy:

Not true? Lol you are very funny grin grin

Then who leaked it to the internet? Maybe satan came out from hades and snatched the book so that he can copy and paste on the internet.
You know that jwfacts.com is primarily composed of former brothers and sisters who have been disfellowshipped for one reason or the other or have allowed themselves to deviate from the truth and seek to discourage other truth seekers from becoming Jehovah's Witnesses. Persons appointed as elders are not infallible and are prone to committing gross sin like everyone else, hence the availability of such information. If you didn't know about that, now you do.

2 Likes

Re: 10 Things You Never Knew About Jehovah's Witnesses by malakh7: 12:00pm On Nov 16, 2014
Leobreezy:
If I referred you to some portions of the bible, would you, without reservations come to an honest conclusion?
There are 12 classical world religions and over 34,000 Christian sects. Most of these say that salvation requires following their particular God. The extremist sects say that belonging to their particular sect is a requirement for salvation. If you are a Witness, imagine for a second that the Watchtower Society is not the true religion. Do you think it fair that God is going to destroy you for being part of the wrong religion? As the Watchtower discourages active examination of other beliefs, would it be fair that you will shortly die for not finding the correct one?

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

How I Realized Jesus Is A Fraud / Inside Life: Tb Joshua Commits Suicide Taking His Own Life - Olunloyo / Of What Use Is The Judgement Day?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.