Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,955 members, 7,806,762 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 10:54 PM

What's Your Opinion On Jumping Gear 4( Manual Drivers Only) - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / What's Your Opinion On Jumping Gear 4( Manual Drivers Only) (3533 Views)

Car Smashed By A Tree In A Pay Park, Who Bears The Loss? Your Opinion / Golf 4 Manual Gear Issues / Is Golf 4 (manual Gear) A Good Buy? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

What's Your Opinion On Jumping Gear 4( Manual Drivers Only) by egesie(m): 5:44am On Nov 16, 2014
If you stay in Nigeria, you find certain people that go from gear 3 to gear 5, like my bro uses gear 3 to reach abt 70km-80km then jumps to gear 5 n the car speed picks up steady from there, when I started driving on express, he was like no need for gear 4, unless u're driving up a hill or trying to reach top speed fast.
So m just wondering apart from my bro n dad, I'm yet to meet other people who do that(maybe because most ppl drive auto now)
I'll like to know your opinion
wink
Re: What's Your Opinion On Jumping Gear 4( Manual Drivers Only) by GAZZUZZ(m): 6:47am On Nov 16, 2014
egesie:
If you stay in Nigeria, you find certain people that go from gear 3 to gear 5, like my bro uses gear 3 to reach abt 70km-80km then jumps to gear 5 n the car speed picks up steady from there, when I started driving on express, he was like no need for gear 4, unless u're driving up a hill or trying to reach top speed fast.
So m just wondering apart from my bro n dad, I'm yet to meet other people who do that(maybe because most ppl drive auto now)
wink

I jump from 1 to 5 some times, your are not damaging anything, as long as the engine can carry the load its fine.

1 Like

Re: What's Your Opinion On Jumping Gear 4( Manual Drivers Only) by Nobody: 7:05am On Nov 16, 2014
If yu hv much load or going up hill, you need gear 4 (a must) or else, may affect gear box adversely. Generally, to save gear box longevity gear 4 is necessary
Re: What's Your Opinion On Jumping Gear 4( Manual Drivers Only) by Nobody: 7:45am On Nov 16, 2014
Whenever I handle a manual tranny car, I can do the normal drive shift sequence 1>2>3>4>5 if I wish to drive and enjoy my time or I'm not in the mood.

Catch me if you can when I shift gear and skip some. I shift to 1 then rev hard before quickly shifting to 3 if I don't feel like doing 2, then again I rev hard before shifting to 5. If any auto driver claims he's got 2 head with same engine as mine, and he's trying to keep my pace, I downshift to 4, then 3, before building more rev and quickly clutch and shift to 5 again. Then you'll see the rocket in manual.

If you're conscious of Fuel economy or longevity of your parts or like driving civil pls stick to your normal sequence.

1 Like

Re: What's Your Opinion On Jumping Gear 4( Manual Drivers Only) by AutosBay(m): 8:00am On Nov 16, 2014
Some drivers always change through the gears one-by-one (1,2,3,4,5 - 5,4,3,2,1).

This is a habit that has stuck with some older drivers from when they originally learned to drive and was commonly taught well. But it's not generally good practice to use the gears in this way when driving modern cars.

It is not necessary to change gears in sequence.

Re: What's Your Opinion On Jumping Gear 4( Manual Drivers Only) by andre82(m): 9:28pm On Nov 16, 2014
When I used to drive a golf 3 gti manual, my normal sequence is 1-3-5. I use 2 and 4 as @ when necessary. Then a toyota corolla 6 speed, d sequence is 1 pick up rev, go to 3, pick up rev and go to 6 straight. There's no negative effect with jumping gears. I find having to go through all the gears too time wasting.
Re: What's Your Opinion On Jumping Gear 4( Manual Drivers Only) by Ikenna351(m): 11:30pm On Nov 16, 2014
It's wrong to skip gears for stick cars. First, it will tell adversely on fuel consumption. Just like some would move from standstill with gear 2.

No wonder why people have clutch failure every now and then and complain manual gearboxes sucks.

Ikenna

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: What's Your Opinion On Jumping Gear 4( Manual Drivers Only) by lonelydora: 11:41pm On Nov 16, 2014
I shift upwards or downwards as the spirit leads. The one I love most is moving from rest with gear 2. I don't think it damages anything except your clutch if you don't handle it well.
Re: What's Your Opinion On Jumping Gear 4( Manual Drivers Only) by Lexusgs430: 11:42pm On Nov 16, 2014
Assuming I am starting my journey with no interruptions, and everything been equal.
I obviously start with gear 1 and work all my way to gear 6, without skipping any gears in the process.
If I have to downshift, I would consider my present speed,interruption and all other conditions, and can downshift from 6 - 4, 4 -2 or other sequences, considering all driving factors and conditions (all this computing, happens in milliseconds).
Joys of a Manual gearbox !!!
Re: What's Your Opinion On Jumping Gear 4( Manual Drivers Only) by ZIMDRILL(m): 1:29am On Nov 17, 2014
egesie:
wink

thats wrong

how can you reach 70-80 in third gear ?

the best thing is always find information about your car

Re: What's Your Opinion On Jumping Gear 4( Manual Drivers Only) by egesie(m): 6:45am On Nov 17, 2014
ZIMDRILL:

thats wrong

I do it, gear 3 can reach 80kmph buh with a higher rpm, I drive a VW Passat B5 1.8T 1998 model
Re: What's Your Opinion On Jumping Gear 4( Manual Drivers Only) by GAZZUZZ(m): 6:54am On Nov 17, 2014
ZIMDRILL:

thats wrong

3rd gear takes me to 140kmph 406 v6 without redlining (when I'm in that mood) grin

1 Like

Re: What's Your Opinion On Jumping Gear 4( Manual Drivers Only) by Nobody: 7:16am On Nov 17, 2014
GAZZUZZ:

3rd gear takes me to 140kmph 406 v6 without redlining (when I'm in that mood) grin

And it does the acceleration quite quicker than when you'll upshift to the 4th gear.
Re: What's Your Opinion On Jumping Gear 4( Manual Drivers Only) by Lexusgs430: 8:22am On Nov 17, 2014
egesie:

I do it, gear 3 can reach 80kmph buh with a higher rpm, I drive a VW Passat B5 1.8T 1998 model

Used to love my B5 passat, 20V Turbo !!!! Kitted + Lowered !!!
Re: What's Your Opinion On Jumping Gear 4( Manual Drivers Only) by Ikenna351(m): 10:26am On Nov 17, 2014
GAZZUZZ:

Yes, the ES9J4S with BVM5 tranny does that effortlessly. I am a living testimony.

Engines and transmissions differ. There are Lions you cant do that with.

What is wrong is skipping gears. Remember, Peugeot 406 V6 stick (D9) with ES9J4S all have DMF. Leaving all those loads on the clutch when you skip gears could kill the DMF overtime. And trust me, DMF is not something one would want want to joke with. Because if it fails. Hmmm!

Ikenna
Re: What's Your Opinion On Jumping Gear 4( Manual Drivers Only) by chucky234(m): 11:54am On Nov 17, 2014
Ikenna351:

Yes, the ES9J4S with BVM5 tranny does that effortlessly. I am a living testimony.

Engines and transmissions differ. There are Lions you cant do that with.

What is wrong is skipping gears. Remember, Peugeot 406 V6 stick (D9) with ES9J4S all have DMF. Leaving all those loads on the clutch when you skip gears could kill the DMF overtime. And trust me, DMF is not something one would want want to joke with. Because if it fails. Hmmm!

Ikenna
A word is enough for the wise.
Re: What's Your Opinion On Jumping Gear 4( Manual Drivers Only) by auhanson(m): 11:50pm On Nov 17, 2014
Oh mehn! When i feel like doing Torreto on the wheel , i can hit 3 from 1 and rev hard, then hit 5. if i sense stubborn overtaking or superior vehicle to mine and wanna make a mess of it, i'll kickdown to 3 with the baddest revving then slam it at 5 again,, boy u aint gonna catch up cos i'm doing ma thing on da steering. Sometimes i dont even care about 1 , i start with 2 on the highway after near deceleration to a halt, cos i hate 1 in some instances, the delay, the drag, hmmmm! I hadly ever stay in 1 for up to 3 secs, except i'm trap in a terrible holdup.

I dont think there's anything wrong as far as it can take the load without any hassle
Re: What's Your Opinion On Jumping Gear 4( Manual Drivers Only) by fishleg123: 12:00am On Nov 19, 2014
u see, those that drive auto are really missing something. sticks are for d men.

1 Like

Re: What's Your Opinion On Jumping Gear 4( Manual Drivers Only) by Homguy(m): 9:57pm On Nov 19, 2014
@ fishleg123 , sticks for life! the surge and sound change everytime I upshift brings a sweet feeling I can only experience not explain. Btw, does a tiptronic trans give same surge and engagement compared to a manual?
Re: What's Your Opinion On Jumping Gear 4( Manual Drivers Only) by Nobody: 1:57am On Nov 20, 2014
When folks on here recommended against buying "9ja used" cars now I understand.

So you'll take a preowned car that was imported into the country, then trashed woefully in 9ja for a few years and then passed onto another unlucky soul.

The more time I spend on NL the more I understand why perfectly good cars turns to scrap metal shortly upon arriving upon 9ja shores.

Dearis god o, in all this cars you're molesting.

7 Likes

Re: What's Your Opinion On Jumping Gear 4( Manual Drivers Only) by Emmysteve(m): 4:31am On Nov 20, 2014
CityNG:
When folks on here recommended against buying "9ja used" cars now I understand.

So you'll take a preowned car that was imported into the country, then trashed woefully in 9ja for a few years and then passed onto another unlucky soul.

The more time I spend on NL the more I understand why perfectly good cars turns to scrap metal shortly upon arriving upon 9ja shores.

Dearis god o, in all this cars you're molesting.
Lmfao
Re: What's Your Opinion On Jumping Gear 4( Manual Drivers Only) by Mcdonelldouglas(m): 10:38am On Feb 03, 2015
Its called block shifting, its perfectly ok as long as you don't lugg the engine. You can block shift after revving very hard, say 3000 rpm upwards.
Re: What's Your Opinion On Jumping Gear 4( Manual Drivers Only) by eherbal(m): 9:01am On Feb 04, 2015
GAZZUZZ:

Ghost Driver grin
Re: What's Your Opinion On Jumping Gear 4( Manual Drivers Only) by auhanson(m): 12:12pm On Feb 04, 2015
lomomike:

And it does the acceleration quite quicker than when you'll upshift to the 4th gear.

Yes it does, except i really want to economize fuel do i quickly interrupt wth the 4th gear to get there.

Usually, while driving with economy at the back of my mind , i simply let the car accelerate effortlessly(just rolling) as quickly as possible while accelerating/decelerating the gears in ascending/descending order at silent whisper, with minimal breaking and would always like to remain at the highest possible gear that does not give any form of load on the engine. Just crusing.

But if i'm out for adventure and fun drive, just enjoying myself , the reverse is the case, gear 3 is usually my weapon , both in downshifting and power take off to the highest possible km/h after taking turn from gear 2 at the best possible rpm.
Re: What's Your Opinion On Jumping Gear 4( Manual Drivers Only) by clemz85(m): 10:18pm On Feb 04, 2015
auhanson:
Oh mehn! When i feel like doing Torreto on the wheel , i can hit 3 from 1 and rev hard, then hit 5. if i sense stubborn overtaking or superior vehicle to mine and wanna make a mess of it, i'll kickdown to 3 with the baddest revving then slam it at 5 again,, boy u aint gonna catch up cos i'm doing ma thing on da steering. Sometimes i dont even care about 1 , i start with 2 on the highway after near deceleration to a halt, cos i hate 1 in some instances, the delay, the drag, hmmmm! I hadly ever stay in 1 for up to 3 secs, except i'm trap in a terrible holdup.

I dont think there's anything wrong as far as it can take the load without any hassle

can one screech off perfectly with no 2?
Re: What's Your Opinion On Jumping Gear 4( Manual Drivers Only) by clemz85(m): 10:27pm On Feb 04, 2015
egesie:

this car, I discovered that mine had a poor
take off speed - doing 10 to 15 seconds, meanwhile my boss tiny light Camry does
around 6seconds,
is it how yours work?

(1) (Reply)

Nissan Infiniti 1999-2002 Qx4 Against Toyota 2000 Camry? / Advise Me On 2004 Land Rover Freelander / Gazzuzz And Smartchoiice Signed Peace Agreement 19/10/19

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.