Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,236 members, 7,780,458 topics. Date: Thursday, 28 March 2024 at 02:48 PM

Correcting Structural/building Errors To Avoid Stories That Touch (Update) - Properties - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / Correcting Structural/building Errors To Avoid Stories That Touch (Update) (4085 Views)

Ask All Your Questions On Building Foundations/structural Issues -expert / How To Avoid Paying The Dreaded Omonile Signing Fees Scam In Lagos And Ogun / Errors To Avoid In Real Estate In 2014 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Correcting Structural/building Errors To Avoid Stories That Touch (Update) by barakah(m): 7:40am On Nov 16, 2014
Hello Nairaland,
Please I just discovered that my builder did not include columns or pillars in my twin two bedroom bungalow.

However, considering the importance of columns and pillars in ensuring the strenght of a structure and in making it stand the test of time, I'm considering finding a lasting solution to this error.

The structure has strong concrete lintel tieing the top together but i'm wondering if the blockwork alone can withstand the weight of the roofing on the longrun, having installed 0.45mm aluminium sheets and Itara planks for wood work.

Please professionals in the house kindly help in providing suggestions to this error so I can have the needed rest of mind to continue with my project.

Re: Correcting Structural/building Errors To Avoid Stories That Touch (Update) by barakah(m): 11:06pm On Nov 16, 2014
Experts in the house.
Please your comments and contributions are highly vital for this project.
Re: Correcting Structural/building Errors To Avoid Stories That Touch (Update) by barakah(m): 4:57am On Nov 17, 2014
Anybody? sad
Re: Correcting Structural/building Errors To Avoid Stories That Touch (Update) by mufutau55(m): 10:45pm On Nov 17, 2014
Your building is a bungalow and with no parapet, so you should not have to worry yourself much about columns (pillars)..
The weight of your roofing woods and roofing aluminium is not that heavy as to put pressure on that building.. And you have a good lintel too.
If I were you, I will not worry that much. My 2 Flat Bungalow MQ (BQ) about the size of your building does not have any column either,
but I made sure I used 9 inch blocks.

Hajji M.
Re: Correcting Structural/building Errors To Avoid Stories That Touch (Update) by barakah(m): 10:50pm On Nov 17, 2014
mufutau55:
Your building is a bungalow and with no parapet, so you should not have to worry yourself much about columns (pillars)..
The weight of your roofing woods and roofing aluminium is not that heavy as to put pressure on that building.. And you have a good lintel too.
If I were you, I will not worry that much. My 2 Flat Bungalow MQ (BQ) about the size of your building does not have any column either,
but I made sure I used 9 inch blocks.
Hajji M.

Well noted Hajji.
I'll keep that in mind next time.
Re: Correcting Structural/building Errors To Avoid Stories That Touch (Update) by mufutau55(m): 10:55pm On Nov 17, 2014
barakah:

Well noted Hajji.
I'll keep that in mind next time.

I can't see the building properly if you used 9 inches too... Did you? I think I see 6inches there.
Even if not, if it is 6 inches, it is still good...

Hajji M.
Re: Correcting Structural/building Errors To Avoid Stories That Touch (Update) by abdulwastecx(m): 11:13pm On Nov 17, 2014
barakah:
Hello Nairaland,
Please I just discovered that my builder did not include columns or pillars in my twin two bedroom bungalow.

However, considering the importance of columns and pillars in ensuring the strenght of a structure and in making it stand the test of time, I'm considering finding a lasting solution to this error.

The structure has strong concrete lintel tieing the top together but i'm wondering if the blockwork alone can withstand the weight of the roofing on the longrun, having installed 0.45mm aluminium sheets and Itara planks for wood work.

Please professionals in the house kindly help in providing suggestions to this error so I can have the needed rest of mind to continue with my project.

Nice building but you made one mistake I just noted by looking at those picture.
You didn't provide head course....I always advice my client and all home owners to always put that in the building because it save alot of stress in future expectially in a site like yours where there are no wind breakers ( trees).

In summary, consult somebody when you want to embark on a project like this in future. ...it may be a friend, professionals or online here. all the best bro
Re: Correcting Structural/building Errors To Avoid Stories That Touch (Update) by abdulwastecx(m): 11:20pm On Nov 17, 2014
barakah:
Experts in the house.

Bungalows are built using load bearing walls because the loar from the roof are relatively low...exceptions includes, when the bearing capacity of the soil is too poor ( water lodged area), when the sancrete block strength is bellow 14kN/m2 ( there will be cracking developing on such wall in the long run). when and overhead tank is to be placed at that part of the building.

I hate the use of "lagalaga" in the building. ..an head course of week concrete running through the building at the roof level with a mild steel connectors spaced at 1.2m (4') could have made ur wok perfect

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Correcting Structural/building Errors To Avoid Stories That Touch (Update) by mufutau55(m): 11:37pm On Nov 17, 2014
abdulwastecx:

I hate the use of "lagalaga" in the building. ..an head course of week concrete running through the building at the roof level with a mild steel connectors spaced at 1.2m (4') could have made ur wok perfect

Can you please elaborate on this... What is "Lagalaga", first time I am hearing this.
Or are you talking about the iron (Ojagba) used to tie down the woods for roofing?
Thank you.

Hajji M.
Re: Correcting Structural/building Errors To Avoid Stories That Touch (Update) by barakah(m): 11:41pm On Nov 17, 2014
abdulwastecx:

You didn't provide head course....I always advice my client and all home owners to always put that in the building because it save alot of stress in future expectially in a site like yours where there are no wind breakers ( trees).

What's head course?

abdulwastecx:

when and overhead tank is to be placed at that part of the building.
I hate the use of "lagalaga" in the building. ..connectors spaced at 1.2m (4') could have made ur wok perfect

There's a separate provision for the tank....scaffold
What is the lagalaga?
Re: Correcting Structural/building Errors To Avoid Stories That Touch (Update) by abdulwastecx(m): 11:43pm On Nov 17, 2014
mufutau55:

Can you please elaborate on this... What is "Lagalaga", first time I am hearing this.
Or are you talking about the iron (Ojagba) used to tie down the woods for roofing?
Thank you.

Hajji M.

yes sir...in the north here ( abuja and it's environs) it is called 'lagalaga' but in the west it is ajagba.

the problem with ' ajagba' includes the following:
1. it makes wall Finnishing not be aesthetically ok.
2. Not enough to tied down the roof (wooden tie beam) to the wall plate and to the wall. hence, when there is wind with higher velocity your buulding may be blown away.

I am well trained carpenter and a civil engineer sir
Re: Correcting Structural/building Errors To Avoid Stories That Touch (Update) by abdulwastecx(m): 11:50pm On Nov 17, 2014
[quote author=barakah post=28110073]

What's head course?

head course is a concrete layer after last block layer before the roof. after lintel level in a bungalow, two layers of block is placed on top of the lintel and a week concrete layer is placed on top of the last block to form the ' head course'. a mild steel of R6 is used to form a connectors that will link the roofing ( tie beams) to the wall. these connectors replaces the 'ajagba' and are spaced at 1.2m (4') c/c round the
Re: Correcting Structural/building Errors To Avoid Stories That Touch (Update) by mufutau55(m): 12:12am On Nov 18, 2014
abdulwastecx:

yes sir...in the north here ( abuja and it's environs) it is called 'lagalaga' but in the west it is ajagba.

the problem with ' ajagba' includes the following:
1. it makes wall Finnishing not be aesthetically ok.
2. Not enough to tied down the roof (wooden tie beam) to the wall plate and to the wall. hence, when there is wind with higher velocity your buulding may be blown away.

I am well trained carpenter and a civil engineer sir

I am not doubting your professionalism sir... I will never do that.

OK.. I have forgotten my Hausa language, the last time I spoke it was about 42 years ago.. at ABU in Zaria. smiley

I understood what you mean by that tie down.. But this kind of tied down (ojagba - lagalaga) has been used in building even before I was born and it has always hold up.. It depends on the carpenter tied down the iron, some of them twist it in multiple times.. others, may be not. But I do understood your concern about it..

On the other example, if the bricklayer did a good job the ojagba-lagalaga should not affect the plastering of the house... the mortar should be thick enough as not to show any sign of the tie-down sheet.. unless that building is not well plastered...

Then this bring me to the last question, if the ojagba-lagalaga is not used, what are the alternatives?
I know if there is a parapet installed, stranger iron rods can be embedded into the parapet concrete mortar and can be used instead of the
ojagba-lagalaga but apart from that I have not seen another modern alternatives.. but then I am not a Builder, so my experience is minimal,
but I just want to learn from the like of you, the Professionals. If you have photos, I will appreciate it too.

My aim is to learn, not to criticize or doubt your work or your professionalism... Thank you.

Hajji M.
Re: Correcting Structural/building Errors To Avoid Stories That Touch (Update) by kopell: 1:10am On Nov 18, 2014
Hajji you say you no remanber the name of the thing, you're very right that is the name of Ojagba is call LANGAlANGA in Hausa kajiko after all this years I salute you.
Re: Correcting Structural/building Errors To Avoid Stories That Touch (Update) by mufutau55(m): 1:14am On Nov 18, 2014
kopell:
Hajji you say you no remanber the name of the thing, you're very right that is the name of Ojagba is call LANGAlANGA in Hausa kajiko after all this years I salute you.

Hai, Naji manna, kadan-kadan. Sikena.

But true, true, it has been 42 years ago I spoke Hausa last.. I was working with Cadbury Nigeria Ltd. (we were making Tomapep) in Zaria, while I was also enrolled in ABU in Samaru. I used to live in Sabon-Gari. Those were good old days.

Hajji Mufutau
Re: Correcting Structural/building Errors To Avoid Stories That Touch (Update) by abdulwastecx(m): 5:40am On Nov 18, 2014
mufutau55:

I am not doubting your professionalism sir... I will never do that.

OK.. I have forgotten my Hausa language, the last time I spoke it was about 42 years ago.. at ABU in Zaria. smiley

I understood what you mean by that tie down.. But this kind of tied down (ojagba - lagalaga) has been used in building even before I was born and it has always hold up.. It depends on the carpenter tied down the iron, some of them twist it in multiple times.. others, may be not. But I do understood your concern about it..

On the other example, if the bricklayer did a good job the ojagba-lagalaga should not affect the plastering of the house... the mortar should be thick enough as not to show any sign of the tie-down sheet.. unless that building is not well plastered...

Then this bring me to the last question, if the ojagba-lagalaga is not used, what are the alternatives?
I know if there is a parapet installed, stranger iron rods can be embedded into the parapet concrete mortar and can be used instead of the
ojagba-lagalaga but apart from that I have not seen another modern alternatives.. but then I am not a Builder, so my experience is minimal,
but I just want to learn from the like of you, the Professionals. If you have photos, I will appreciate it too.

My aim is to learn, not to criticize or doubt your work or your professionalism... Thank you.

Hajji M.

Yes sir I am very happy for this conversation. ...you ate 100% on point about your explanation. I am sorry about my last statement ' a well trained carpenter and a civil engineer'. professionally I can't called myself civil engineer until I am a registered civil engineer which will be atleast 4 years post NYSC experience.

Back to the main discussion, I always called the stranger rode, a connector.

most of the modern houses I had work on uses stranger rope because it is a better alternative than ajagba structurally but more expensive. The added advantage of properly tying down the building, pressing the top block from direct pressure of the wall plate ( hard wood placed on top the block where the tie beams and rafters rest on.

so sir, most of the new houses here uses head course and the stranger rode because it is structurally better than lagagala. I am currently in port harcourt and I don't pictures here sir to explain my point
Re: Correcting Structural/building Errors To Avoid Stories That Touch (Update) by abdulwastecx(m): 5:44am On Nov 18, 2014
mufutau55:

Hai, Naji manna, kadan-kadan. Sikena.

But true, true, it has been 42 years ago I spoke Hausa last.. I was working with Cadbury Nigeria Ltd. (we were making Tomapep) in Zaria, while I was also enrolled in ABU in Samaru. I used to live in Sabon-Gari. Those were good old days.

Hajji Mufutau

I am from Niger state sir, currently serving in port harcourt. I graduatee from federal university of technology minna, but before then I was a carpenter and form work forman for a small company in Abuja after secondary school. I actually learnt carpentry from a very young age from my dad..
Re: Correcting Structural/building Errors To Avoid Stories That Touch (Update) by crystalzoe: 9:18am On Nov 18, 2014
barakah:
Experts in the house.
a bungalow usually doesn't require column support except in situations where the ground is water logged or has poor load bearing capacity or a tank is to b put on the roof. aside that, it is usually well able to carry its live n dead weight.
so ur building is on point!
Re: Correcting Structural/building Errors To Avoid Stories That Touch (Update) by mufutau55(m): 8:20pm On Nov 18, 2014
abdulwastecx:

Back to the main discussion, I always called the stranger rode, a connector.

Most of the modern houses I had work on uses stranger rope because it is a better alternative than ajagba structurally but more expensive. The added advantage of properly tying down the building, pressing the top block from direct pressure of the wall plate ( hard wood placed on top the block where the tie beams and rafters rest on.

Thank you very much sir... I wish you can show the picture of this "Stranger Rode" connector one day when you can, and how it's applied.
I tried to google it and see but no luck. Thank you.

Hajji M.
Re: Correcting Structural/building Errors To Avoid Stories That Touch (Update) by barakah(m): 1:52am On Nov 19, 2014
mufutau55:

I can't see the building properly if you used 9 inches too... Did you? I think I see 6inches there.
Even if not, if it is 6 inches, it is still good...
Hajji M.
Thanks Hajji

crystalzoe:

so ur building is on point!
I really hope so!
Thank you.

I'll keep you posted.
I've found a few new ideas here that i want to copy for the finishing.
I just hope it fits into my own structure.
Re: Correcting Structural/building Errors To Avoid Stories That Touch (Update) by Nobody: 11:04am On Nov 20, 2014
@Hajj, why use 9mm for bungalow? i tot 9mm is for upstairs.

@OP, weldone oooo. It is not easy. Since i started building , any building i pass, i keep counting the cost and praising the owner in my mind. It is not easy at all. i then wonder how these peeps in the village manage to put up structures they live in. How much have you spent so far to this stage?
Re: Correcting Structural/building Errors To Avoid Stories That Touch (Update) by barakah(m): 7:34am On Nov 21, 2014
mercylicious:
@Hajj, why use 9mm for bungalow? i tot 9mm is for upstairs.
@OP, weldone oooo. It is not easy. Since i started building , any building i pass, i keep counting the cost and praising the owner in my mind. It is not easy at all. i then wonder how these peeps in the village manage to put up structures they live in. How much have you spent so far to this stage?

For this my small building? Lol...
Truth be told, I don't know how much I've spent so far. I stopped computing figures at window stage.
If there's a steady income, its best you don't look back once you start.
Re: Correcting Structural/building Errors To Avoid Stories That Touch (Update) by B3sty(m): 9:48am On Nov 21, 2014
barakah:

For this my small building? Lol...
Truth be told, I don't know how much I've spent so far. I stopped computing figures at window stage.
If there's a steady income, its best you don't look back once you start.
Can I've a glance at the floor plan of this Building? I need to start up something next year & I'm looking at getting a good plan with less designs on a Half plot of Land [120 by 30]. Mine will have 2 Baths, 2 Toilets. If u can't post it here, send it to my mail.....bfaze1@yahoo.com.
thanks in advance
Re: Correcting Structural/building Errors To Avoid Stories That Touch (Update) by barakah(m): 1:13pm On Nov 21, 2014
B3sty:

Can I've a glance at the floor plan of this Building? I need to start up something next year & I'm looking at getting a good plan with less designs on a Half plot of Land [120 by 30]. Mine will have 2 Baths, 2 Toilets. If u can't post it here, send it to my mail.....bfaze1@yahoo.com.
thanks in advance

You've got mail.
Re: Correcting Structural/building Errors To Avoid Stories That Touch (Update) by B3sty(m): 2:06pm On Nov 21, 2014
barakah:

You've got mail.
Thanks & God bless u...
lemme check, will get back to u via email
**Modified**
Check ur mail sir....Just a reminder.
waiting!
Re: Correcting Structural/building Errors To Avoid Stories That Touch (Update) by barakah(m): 1:37pm On Nov 25, 2014
B3sty:

Thanks & God bless u...
lemme check, will get back to u via email
**Modified**
Check ur mail sir....Just a reminder.
waiting!

Note some adjustments in the drawing.
The visitor's toilet was moved from the living room and transfered beside the porch on both sides of the building.
Re: Correcting Structural/building Errors To Avoid Stories That Touch (Update) by B3sty(m): 5:04pm On Nov 26, 2014
barakah:

Note some adjustments in the drawing.
The visitor's toilet was moved from the living room and transfered beside the porch on both sides of the building.
Noted Sir... Thank.
Re: Correcting Structural/building Errors To Avoid Stories That Touch (Update) by barakah(m): 8:09am On Dec 20, 2014
Updates on the additional works carried out so far on the project.

Re: Correcting Structural/building Errors To Avoid Stories That Touch (Update) by barakah(m): 8:11am On Dec 20, 2014
More...

(1) (Reply)

Easter Bonanza! Buy Kingscourt @ 2.5m as against 5m original price. / Our Bulletin Of Available Properties! UPDATED....H.H&M / ADRON HOMES & PROPERTIES, Grandiew Park And Gardens Atan, Otta

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 64
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.