Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,925 members, 7,806,688 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 08:51 PM

So Amnesty International Was Right Afterall? - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / So Amnesty International Was Right Afterall? (48448 Views)

Nigerian Military Buried Shiite Members Alive- Amnesty International. / National Conference: TINUBU Was Right Afterall / Ojukwu Was Right Afterall (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: So Amnesty International Was Right Afterall? by MadCow1: 8:47am On Nov 17, 2014
texazzpete:
Remember when everyone was up in arms, railing at Amnesty International's report that insisted that Nigerian Security forces were guilty of mass human right violations, tortures, illegal detentions and worse?

http://www.amnesty.org/en/news/nigeria-s-torture-chambers-exposed-new-report-2014-09-18
http://www.premiumtimesng.com/news/headlines/168339-nigerian-security-forces-maim-kill-thousands-in-torture-chambers-amnesty-international.html

Well, now it turns out that those stories were 100% real. The Army just released innocent suspects that had been in illegal detention for YEARS, and some of those people have come forward with harrowing stories of torture, detention and deaths.

Are we now going to have a serious conversation about this? Police and Army brutality has run unchecked for years. when are we going to turn this around?

Amnesty International were right...

But we are at war.. And all is Fair in War,angry

3 Likes

Re: So Amnesty International Was Right Afterall? by chamboy(m): 8:47am On Nov 17, 2014
When Armed Robber Rob finish na Innocent People, Police dey Carry

1 Like

Re: So Amnesty International Was Right Afterall? by omenka(m): 8:48am On Nov 17, 2014
texazzpete:

Again, you need to learn how to read. The people who are complaining are the ones that even the Army accept are innocent. When you have someone in detention for months with no trial, is it rocket science before you accept that something is wrong?
If you've been on this forum long enough, there are certain people you should just learn to ignore because the ideals of a civil, free, and just society is alien to them.

6 Likes

Re: So Amnesty International Was Right Afterall? by Afroconnect: 8:49am On Nov 17, 2014
Oga,shut your mouth before you shoot urself in the foot.

Amnesty international has their pay-masters,only naïve people like you believe all they say.

This world is all about interests,America and the European union fund amnesty-those saudi and Arabs manipulate the organisation with their money too...Nigeria has no real friends in the committee of Nations,as it is people are friends with you as long as you satisfy some of their needs.

Our "leaders" ought to know this and play the foreign relations game of asking for returns on any favour,not just dashing money,fighting force and resources to these ungrateful Nations.

2 Likes

Re: So Amnesty International Was Right Afterall? by OkikiOluwa1(m): 8:53am On Nov 17, 2014
One of Nigeria's big problem is that the country has lots of incompetent people in the helms of leadership in different sectors.........

Last Bullet
Some people were in the position of leading each section of the armed forces...
Will the military heads say that they don't know about all the brutalities in the north and other parts of the country?
The strength meant for fighting Boko Haram is always saved for the civilians...

2 Likes

Re: So Amnesty International Was Right Afterall? by eunisam: 8:54am On Nov 17, 2014
Whatever!
Re: So Amnesty International Was Right Afterall? by Nobody: 8:54am On Nov 17, 2014
[deleted]
Re: So Amnesty International Was Right Afterall? by herald9: 9:05am On Nov 17, 2014
MadCow1:

Amnesty International were right...

But we are at war.. And all is Fair in War,angry

You're being insensitive and unsympathetic

If you're the victim Maybe you'll know all is not fair angry

2 Likes

Re: So Amnesty International Was Right Afterall? by emmatok(m): 9:07am On Nov 17, 2014
texazzpete:

Considering the fact that you're more likely to turn to crime after your services will no longer be required to spread online propaganda next year, I believe you'll be experiencing the wonders of a correctional facility very soon.

I actually have put in much more energy in campaigning against Boko Haram than you have.

Good thing we've heard BOTH sides of the story now that the Army has released hundreds of innocent people they had illegally detained, just like Amnesty International alleged.

I will advice you to stop arguing with this GEJ boys , their so call patriotism is tied to their master and not Nigeria.
They hate anything called truth.

They are now telling us that everybody living in the North should be giving Boko-Haram treatment, forgetting there are SE,SS SW living in the North.

You will see their truth color when an innocent IGBO or IJAW man is detained in North.

7 Likes

Re: So Amnesty International Was Right Afterall? by mecusbosco(m): 9:10am On Nov 17, 2014
texazzpete:

I suspect you would not be pleased to be one of those 'unavoidable cases of collateral damage'

I still remember the sadness in my colleague's face when he recounts how his grandfather, a Biafra war veteran, was killed in the Army sack of Odi.

Mr man! Extreme cases requires extreme measures. Collateral damage is everywhere! Some companies abroad have rejected their own staff, denied them from coming back to their place of work, just because they visted Nigeria or othere Ebola related countries. Where is human right? Please answer!

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: So Amnesty International Was Right Afterall? by IdomaLikita: 9:10am On Nov 17, 2014
Just last week, I was in one of the States of the Northeast affected by the Insurgency and witnessed the Heavyhandedness of the Army First Hand!
At one Checkpoint, I saw Old Men given Corporal Punishments(eg. a frail old man was asked to carry his bicycle on his head and remain standing under the sun) for simple Traffic Violations!
A Uniformed Policeman was Brutalized in my Presence and almost shot for questioning the barbarity of these Men!

By God, at that Moment, if Boko Haram had offered me a Recruitment form, I would have signed it gleefully!

Then I drove further and saw other Checkpoints where the Soldiers were very Nice and even shared their Lunch with the Street Hawkers that cluster around them!

I noticed that Soldiers who had been on Peace-keeping missions(as evidenced by their Gear) were more Professional, Courteous and Friendly than the Local Champions whose only Combat experience is at the Firing Range in Jaji!

Any Army that lacks Local Support is merely living on Borrowed time and the DHQ must as a matter of Urgency weed out the Local Champions from their Ranks!
21st Century Wars are Psychologically in Nature and if the Nigerian Military is to advance further, then it must shed its colonial image!

#Amnesty International is right afterall

11 Likes

Re: So Amnesty International Was Right Afterall? by Rhozabeth(m): 9:11am On Nov 17, 2014
Adetula1:
in war times,there's nothing called "innocent" as long you are caught in and around battle line.our prayer is never to be a victim.

Bros this is not even a civil war, this is insurgency! The problem we have is that we do not know how to gather intelligence and we don't conduct proper investigation! The police and army conduct investigation by beating confession out of their suspects!

3 Likes

Re: So Amnesty International Was Right Afterall? by MadCow1: 9:11am On Nov 17, 2014
herald9:

You're being insensitive and unsympathetic

If you're the victim Maybe you'll know all is not fair angry

Ofcourse... If I was the Victim, I would be on the streets of Abuja with a placard calling for 1billion Naira in compensation.. And if the current guys do it, I would support them..

But again I say!! THIS IS WAR... angry

All non-combatants should have left the area.. The Nigerian Army are running scared.. They are fighting against an unidentifiable enemy. So what happens is when they enter an Area, all Men (and now Women) of combat age are arrested and filtered through.

I dont blame the Nigerian army for this approach of clean sweeping an Area, my Problem with the Army is the time it takes to investigate and identify the innocent ones from the insurgents.. angry

And like I said:: All is fair in War..

3 Likes

Re: So Amnesty International Was Right Afterall? by tolustx(m): 9:12am On Nov 17, 2014
Horus:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gcc5fnx08R0

[size=15pt]"Nigerian Hidden War" Genocide Under President Jonathan[/size]

by Princess Marian Awolowo

Firstly, on behalf of millions of Nigerians across the globe, we thank Channel 4 Dispatches Program for exposing the truth about the hidden war that is been waged in Nigeria against Nigerians by Boko Haram in connivance with Nigerian State Agents. We can assure you that we ordinary concerned Nigerians and friends of Nigeria will ensure that millions of innocent Nigerians demand justice. Once again, we thank you for this brilliant service to humanity with a high probability of saving lives in the future.

Dear Nigerians,

Information reaching us since yesterday confirms our suspicion that Nigerian Government has used mutiny to BARRED OTHERS INCLUDING Nigerians across the world except UK to have access to this Video which confirms without any shred of doubt that Nigerian Armed Forces are committing act of genocide against Nigerians, especially thousands of innocent Northerner's.

We believe it is your fundamental right as good citizens, amiable and loving Nigerians to know the truth about the 21st century hidden genocide that is been committed by President Jonathan's regime, as this will set all of us free from future preventable retaliations, replications, or any other foreseeable disasters that we may confront if we failed to stop this barbaric behavior, apparently instigated, initiated, managed and conducted by those we trusted with our lives-The Nigerian Military Forces under President Goodluck Ebele Jonathan.
If the army is working, you'll say their violating human rights, if they're not, you'll say their inactive and heartless; when battle is fierce and they retreat, you'll call dem cowards and when they face d enemies, whose strategies they dont fully know and they lost their lives in d process, you'll they wasted dr own lives wen they knw they aint fit now, what exactly does nigerians need. Is it victory over boko haram or a change of govt.

2 Likes

Re: So Amnesty International Was Right Afterall? by Firefire(m): 9:14am On Nov 17, 2014
gtrust:

We will take Amnesty International (Nigerian Branch) seriously the day they mount serious campaign against the activities of BH!!

We will take Mrs Ekwesilieze seriously the day she mounts serious campaign against BH and even advise them to seek the peoples' vote by the ballot boxes!

We will take the journalistic wings of BH seriously the day they mount serious campaign against these BH and their nefarious activities!!!

We will take the Deputy Governor of Borno State seriously the day he ALSO start announcing territories recaptured by the Nigerian military and give some acknowledgement to the sacrifices of our Galant Soldiers.

Nigeria is our only country = my interest here!!!
Re: So Amnesty International Was Right Afterall? by nduchucks: 9:16am On Nov 17, 2014
As of last week, I would have bet my last N2million (naira don dey fall na) that this thread will never make the FP. I have to say this, since Ishilove has been, one way or the other, handling the FP and Seun himself loosening up a bit, NL may be turning the corner on being more balanced.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: So Amnesty International Was Right Afterall? by julioralph(m): 9:17am On Nov 17, 2014
Adetula1:
in war times,there's nothing called "innocent" as long you are caught in and around battle line.our prayer is never to be a victim.
O yeah? What if they happen to be innocent villagers caught between the Army and BH?

1 Like

Re: So Amnesty International Was Right Afterall? by Firefire(m): 9:17am On Nov 17, 2014
IdomaLikita:

By God, at that Moment, if Boko Haram had offered me a Recruitment form, I would have signed it gleefully!

[s]Then I drove further and saw other Checkpoints where the Soldiers were very Nice and even shared their Lunch with the Street Hawkers that cluster around them!

I noticed that Soldiers who had been on Peace-keeping missions(as evidenced by their Gear) were more Professional, Courteous and Friendly than the Local Champions whose only Combat experience is at the Firing Range in Jaji!

Any Army that lacks Local Support is merely living on Borrowed time and the DHQ must as a matter of Urgency weed out the Local Champions from their Ranks!
21st Century Wars are Psychologically in Nature and if the Nigerian Military is to advance further, then it must shed its colonial image!

#Amnesty International is right afterall[/s]

Don't worry NA will catch you one day... Go ahead and join Boko Haram.

3 Likes

Re: So Amnesty International Was Right Afterall? by Nobody: 9:17am On Nov 17, 2014
No war without collateral damage.

1 Like

Re: So Amnesty International Was Right Afterall? by elbinmanny(m): 9:25am On Nov 17, 2014
texazzpete:
Remember when everyone was up in arms, railing at Amnesty International's report that insisted that Nigerian Security forces were guilty of mass human right violations, tortures, illegal detentions and worse?

http://www.amnesty.org/en/news/nigeria-s-torture-chambers-exposed-new-report-2014-09-18
http://www.premiumtimesng.com/news/headlines/168339-nigerian-security-forces-maim-kill-thousands-in-torture-chambers-amnesty-international.html

Well, now it turns out that those stories were 100% real. The Army just released innocent suspects that had been in illegal detention for YEARS, and some of those people have come forward with harrowing stories of torture, detention and deaths. hope they and u were around to discuss the treatment of igbos in the civil war...and the udi massaacre in 1999.... abeg this na gist? next post plsssss grin

Are we now going to have a serious conversation about this? Police and Army brutality has run unchecked for years. when are we going to turn this around?
no be gist be this na...where were u and them when igbos were slaughtered during the civil war....i can understand u were not born then...but happens if u tell us about the udi massacre in 1999.
karma is a biatch grin

1 Like

Re: So Amnesty International Was Right Afterall? by philips70(m): 9:25am On Nov 17, 2014
texazzpete:

Yeah, this Mogidi fellow seems unrepentant and irredeemable. I see what you mean, I could have made far more productive use of my time by breaking some cups of Egusi cheesy

By March 2015, many like him will be roaming the streets once again. I only worry that with no morals, no conscience and no values, when this lucrative assignment as a paid sycophant is over, he and his cohorts may turn to armed robbery or kidnapping sad

You waste your time in educating these Jonathan sympathizers. These ones will send their wives packing if they speak any ill against their meal ticket. All arguments and conjectures are sourced from their bottoms. Civility, decorum, compliance and integrity have been totally expunged from their dictionaries till after the 2015 elections. Make a post, ignore them when they troll and turn logic upside down.

3 Likes

Re: So Amnesty International Was Right Afterall? by Bawss1(m): 9:26am On Nov 17, 2014
mecusbosco:

Mr man! Extreme cases requires extreme measures. Collateral damage is everywhere! Some companies abroad have rejected their own staff, denied them from coming back to their place of work, just because they visted Nigeria or othere Ebola related countries. Where is human right? Please answer!

Who does this guy think he is telling this monkey tale to? Please provide the names of the companies that did that.

@Topic
The majority of people here will not appreciate the gravity of the matter because they are not the ones affected. Its far more easier to blame the entire north for the activities of BH, that way when human rights violations are reported they can be dismissed with little effort.

Nigerians first have to collectively learn and advance to the stage where each individual's rights are respected before we will care. Right now we will keep playing the ostrich and somehow hope that new problems will not be created by this approach.

4 Likes

Re: So Amnesty International Was Right Afterall? by ZUBY77(m): 9:26am On Nov 17, 2014
texazzpete:

Well, now it turns out that those stories were 100% real. The Army just released innocent suspects that had been in illegal detention for YEARS, and some of those people have come forward with harrowing stories of torture, detention and deaths.

Have you ever seen Boko Haram written on anybody 's face? No.
You catch and detain them for as long as necessary for investigation.
You only criticize the army if they don't release them.
Those people you call innocent could know the terrorists that live among them.
It happens that way all over the world. You should have known that.
Innocent people will die in the hands of army because you can't separate such things without mistakes.

It's called collateral damage. Every war happens that way.

2 Likes

Re: So Amnesty International Was Right Afterall? by deletrue: 9:27am On Nov 17, 2014
texazzpete:

You are rubbish individual. Tell your people with brain problem to change their attitude. Tell them to stop the killing of your hausas in the north east. Na you sabi. Na your brother dey scarter every corner of Nigeria. That one no pain abi?

2 Likes

Re: So Amnesty International Was Right Afterall? by samplegirl(f): 9:28am On Nov 17, 2014
Horus:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gcc5fnx08R0

[size=15pt]"Nigerian Hidden War" Genocide Under President Jonathan[/size]

by Princess Marian Awolowo

Firstly, on behalf of millions of Nigerians across the globe, we thank Channel 4 Dispatches Program for exposing the truth about the hidden war that is been waged in Nigeria against Nigerians by Boko Haram in connivance with Nigerian State Agents. We can assure you that we ordinary concerned Nigerians and friends of Nigeria will ensure that millions of innocent Nigerians demand justice. Once again, we thank you for this brilliant service to humanity with a high probability of saving lives in the future.

Dear Nigerians,

Information reaching us since yesterday confirms our suspicion that Nigerian Government has used mutiny to BARRED OTHERS INCLUDING Nigerians across the world except UK to have access to this Video which confirms without any shred of doubt that Nigerian Armed Forces are committing act of genocide against Nigerians, especially thousands of innocent Northerner's.

We believe it is your fundamental right as good citizens, amiable and loving Nigerians to know the truth about the 21st century hidden genocide that is been committed by President Jonathan's regime, as this will set all of us free from future preventable retaliations, replications, or any other foreseeable disasters that we may confront if we failed to stop this barbaric behavior, apparently instigated, initiated, managed and conducted by those we trusted with our lives-The Nigerian Military Forces under President Goodluck Ebele Jonathan.

@Horus the problem I have with people like you is that you don't have identity if not it will be interesting to invite you to a debate.

No American government has been accused of human right violation but they still operate GITMO even when Obama sang he will shut it in his first tenure campaign. The gullible Nigerian will think you are actually fighting for the innocent Nigerians caught in the web but we know you are fighting for your group which is boko haram. No matter how you present it we know your intent. You are a member.

The moderator in your rubbish video was sayong that the north is under developed but the idiot failed to point that northern leaders do not want them to go to school, take immunization and the rest of them, The fool did not mention the fact that this President has built more schools in the north than any other president.

mtcheeewwww!!!!!!

2 Likes

Re: So Amnesty International Was Right Afterall? by Nobody: 9:33am On Nov 17, 2014
texazzpete:

See why I said you need 'Brighter Grammar' and 'Queen Primer'? The UNIMAID student says he was picked from his house. Why do you want me to explain to you what you can already read?

You do not need to be ashamed if you cannot read properly. Tens of thousands of adults in Nigeria go to Adult schools.
Here is an e-link to Brighter Grammar Book 1 in case you're too ashamed to ask me to send you the physical book i used nearly 30 years ago

http://www.scribd.com/doc/117782606/Brighter-Grammar-1

Cheers.

So out of over 20k or more UNIMAID students, one person was picked, and you think he didn't have anything whatsoever that linked him to boko haram? How come many other students have not been picked?

Inasmuch as I don't condone unlawful detention and execution of innocent citizens by d military, the truth remains that there must always be innocent casualties in any fight against insurgency. Even in Iraq where US is conducting air raid against ISIS, don't you know that hundreds, if not thousands of civilians are also being killed?

2 Likes

Re: So Amnesty International Was Right Afterall? by Bawss1(m): 9:33am On Nov 17, 2014
@Mods

The word "were" should be corrected to "was". Amnesty International refers to one body not several bodies.
Re: So Amnesty International Was Right Afterall? by Nobody: 9:34am On Nov 17, 2014
Boko Haram are civilians, remember? the NA do treat issues with heavy handedness, nevertheless, if they do nothing, its still the APC leaders and e-touts that will scream that the Army is irrelevant and doing nothing, when they do something, you come here and shout they're been too harsh.

were there no innocent civilians locked up in Guantanamo bay?

Inasmuch as the Nigerian Army is guilty of the offense, who isnt? the US, EU or where? do you know the US funded ISIS initially? did Amnestly say anything about that? how about the heavy handedness in Iraq and Afghanistan? Did you follow the Israeli-Hamas conflict? what came out of it? read of the IRA conflicts?

its wrong to politicize everything! what would your APC do differently? disband the Army? i know you must justify your pay, but be sane and think though before spilling the junks you are paid for.

3 Likes

Re: So Amnesty International Was Right Afterall? by msmon(m): 9:38am On Nov 17, 2014
Why is it that anyone who carry beard is a suspected terrorist?. It's absolutely unfair, even my friend in NYSC kits was suspected at every junction and check point when we travelled from Benin to Bayelsa.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: So Amnesty International Was Right Afterall? by Nobody: 9:38am On Nov 17, 2014
Firefire:

Don't worry NA will catch you one day... Go ahead and join Boko Haram.

You are irritably senseless and worst still you are doing it on purpose. People fight back when oppressed, that's exactly why boko haram fighters seems to never end no matter how many you kill.

3 Likes

Re: So Amnesty International Was Right Afterall? by emmatok(m): 9:43am On Nov 17, 2014
MadCow1:

Ofcourse... If I was the Victim, I would be on the streets of Abuja with a placard calling for 1billion Naira in compensation.. And if the current guys do it, I would support them..

But again I say!! THIS IS WAR... angry

All non-combatants should have left the area.. The Nigerian Army are running scared.. They are fighting against an unidentifiable enemy. So what happens is when they enter an Area, all Men (and now Women) of combat age are arrested and filtered through.

I dont blame the Nigerian army for this approach of clean sweeping an Area, my Problem with the Army is the time it takes to investigate and identify the innocent ones from the insurgents.. angry

And like I said:: All is fair in War..

Are suggesting every innocence Nigerian from the North, relocate to the south. What will you do if the insurgence relocate with them.

2 Likes

Re: So Amnesty International Was Right Afterall? by MadCow1: 9:48am On Nov 17, 2014
emmatok:

Are suggesting every innocence Nigerian from the North, relocate to the south. What will you do if the insurgence relocate with them.

Now you get the problem..

How do we identify insurgents from the innocent?!

SO its easier to relocate as a refugee to a new area than to stay in a hostile environment. If the Nigerian Army does not get you in their 'mop up' operations, the Insurgents would kill you in their raid.. There is no winning this one.

SO move. If the Insurgents move with you to the new location, up and move again.. angry

Its not the ideal situation but thats what we have to do.. Plus insurgents would find it difficult to operate in unfamiliar territories.. And they would be eaiser to spot in a new location than in their locality.

The Day a Bomb drops in my neighbourhood... In less than 24hrs, I would be fr far away from there.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Dino Melaye Bows Down To Greet Oba Rafiu Oladimeji Sule (Photo) / Jubilation In Anambra As Atiku Picks Obi As Running Mate / Food Blockade: I Have Spoken To Igboho, Buhari Is Next – Yahaya Bello

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 129
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.