Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,246 members, 7,807,834 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 08:15 PM

Nigerians Abroad: What Advise Will You Give Anyone Relocating Abroad? - Travel (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Nigerians Abroad: What Advise Will You Give Anyone Relocating Abroad? (46707 Views)

Help! If You're Using Naira Atm Cards Abroad, What Is The Exchange Rate ? / Nigerians Abroad Sent $21Billion Home In 2015 / Some Reasons Why Nigerians Abroad Are Not Coming Home (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (12) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigerians Abroad: What Advise Will You Give Anyone Relocating Abroad? by IBEXY(m): 11:42am On Jan 09, 2009
Oh No  shocked Not another "Ugly Britain" thread!

Living in naija offers as much challenge (in fact more) as living abroad. A common misconception is that abroad is filled with money and folks automatically make it big. FALSE. But then too, the same applies to living in Nigeria. I have had several foriegners telling me Nigeria is damn so rich and filled with oil money. You and I know how much of the oil money we enjoy. Life in naija is tough - I lived many years there.

Not all Nigerians are doing badly abraod. You have to struggle and educate yourself once you get here. I know a lot of working professionals (personally) who used to clean gutters in London. Another issue is our bloated mentality of looking down on certain jobs. Over here, you got to study what will give you a job. Nigerians want to do Nuclear physics and Geometrical Astronomy. They love loud sounding courses that don't fetch jobs. The reasonable ones have retrained in those "menial" proffesions and are using BMWs and Mercedez.

I know nurses, builders, carers, teachers who were graduates from Nigeria. They got here, surveyed the scene. Cleaned gutter or did other "dirty" jobs and retrained as what they are now. Today they live big. Tell a naija man to do nursing, he will say its a dirty job. Stupid, it pays like hell. Tell a naija man to retrain as a carpenter here, he will tell you "am a graduate". The building industry pays like hell in the UK. There is dignity in labour. A lot of folks capitalised on goverment free training for nurses pre 2002 and are doing well today. Others allowed their ego to blind them. They did'nt want folks at home to know they turned into an "eliza nurse" abroad after being a lawyer.

Tell the truth, cleaning gutter in naija and doing the same in UK, which one pays better? Which place has better quality of life. Even with all the big taxes abroad, proper planning will see you through.

Wait before you hit the reply button to crucify me. I love naija and my heart will always be there.

2 Likes

Re: Nigerians Abroad: What Advise Will You Give Anyone Relocating Abroad? by cvibe: 11:49am On Jan 09, 2009
@poster

The Odd jobs you mentioned are being carried out by those who may have entered the country through clandestine means.
Nothing stops those who have entered legally from aspiring to be the prime minister.

Talking from what i see around.
Re: Nigerians Abroad: What Advise Will You Give Anyone Relocating Abroad? by Andyjoy(f): 12:30pm On Jan 09, 2009
Abroad does not mean only UK now. Please can someone fill me in on ow life is in Australia. I have interest in going to work there, but i have to be sure that the standard of living is ok and worth leaving Nigeria for. I am graduate with a 'not to good a job'. The offer was brought to me and i want to make d right decision.

Please if i can get a reasonable answer, i'l really appreciate.

Anybody in here to put in something?

Am waiting.

Thanks
Re: Nigerians Abroad: What Advise Will You Give Anyone Relocating Abroad? by temi777: 1:46pm On Jan 09, 2009
Hi everyone,
I always enjoy this website and I will like to add my own two cents to this very commendable debate.
I think life is what you make it. UK,US and the others are not heaven(s) on earth and they do not automatically make people rich, so if you are already rich , please dont come but lets be honest a very large majority of Nigerians are suffering, no health care, people die for the most simple of health reasons and life , while very social is not that good for these people. If you are on 7 million naira annually in Nigeria,please dont relocate overseas except for other reasons apart from financial. But having said that, a lot of people I know in UK are doing well.for example, someone I know is a cleaner(real life story) but yet have two proprties in UK and one in NIGERIA. She was an hairdresser in OWO before coming to UK and believe me she would never have attained that in Nigeria surely. my point is coming here(and US and others) gives you a fighting chance to make it if you are the oppressed but it does not promise to make you a king. Sorry. You can choose to live in Northampton, nice environment(comparable to V.I ) and pay as low as £400 for a large house, why do people equate London to all of UK. London is to UK what Lagos is to Nigeria: Expensive. Nigerians live there out of choice. There are very very very cheap places where your expenses will be less than £800 all inclusive including rent/mortgage, so I think we should understand but then I dont have to worry about saving so much for a lot of things living in the UK. lets face it, nothing stops me working and living here for 6-7 months in a year and living the rest in Nigeria.
all in alll, people should have a good plan before coming and please dont come as illegal.
a lot of Nigerian people are on £50000 and above here, so we cant ever say UK hasn't helped , only that we often start spending morre the more we earn, but take my word for it: It promises to help you, but it never promised to make you a king. and for those who want to have drivers and maids and so forth, well have you imagined if you were in their shoes? that is why Nigeria is so bad. here, you don't have to be soooo educated to have any resemblance of some life. a cleaner who knows what he's doing will still make it in UK and not die in agony like the very many naija housemaids, drivers and so on who are treated soooo bad
please dont mention Naija is good again. If you are lucky to be among the fortunate 5% with good life fine but what about the rest? I guess like true Nigerians they don't count, right?those 95% are better off in the western world, period and that is the fulcrum of my argument, the rest should stay back, every man for himself. I love Naija but its a mess at the moment and has been for a long time. Sorry
that's my 2 cents

2 Likes

Re: Nigerians Abroad: What Advise Will You Give Anyone Relocating Abroad? by temi777: 2:12pm On Jan 09, 2009
@Andyjoy , Australia is a nice country, spacious and could be cheap. a lot of white people relocate there. But its very far and its not gonna be like UK where you have lots of Nigerians. expect to spend a lot when flying back to Naija. you can spend 5 years there, most 6 but after you can relocate if you manage to save enough
Re: Nigerians Abroad: What Advise Will You Give Anyone Relocating Abroad? by temi777: 2:27pm On Jan 09, 2009
and by the way , why dont we compare like for like? UK housemaid to Nigerian housemaid, UK engineer to Nigerian Engineer, Nigerian doctor to UK Doctor and Peckham to Ajegunle, V.I to Westminster. that is the only comparison that makes intellectual sense.
by the way my uncle is one of the consultants in a London hospitals and earns close to £100000, so compare, he chose to live in a posh London area but he doesnt have to
sorry, no unfair comparison o, just objective ones and dont crucify me.
Naija where a lot of 35 years old graduate man is still living at home with parent because there is no job ehn?
discuss
Re: Nigerians Abroad: What Advise Will You Give Anyone Relocating Abroad? by ohaechesi(m): 2:38pm On Jan 09, 2009
No long thing. We are Nigerians and we are meant to survive having passed through the ups and down in our own country. Facing any western world by a Nigerian is a glusom opportunity as they thing but one should think twice. We should not be quick to arrive to a conlusion. Most especially then it come to decision that share great impact in our future. wink Like i earlier said, no long thing
Re: Nigerians Abroad: What Advise Will You Give Anyone Relocating Abroad? by ohaechesi(m): 2:42pm On Jan 09, 2009
we are not new to the stated thread. But we should forget that some people also travels to abroad and make it big. So its of two things though
Re: Nigerians Abroad: What Advise Will You Give Anyone Relocating Abroad? by ohaechesi(m): 2:45pm On Jan 09, 2009
we are not new to the stated thread in Nigeria. But we should not forget that some people also travels to abroad and make it big. So its of two things though. One man's food could be another man's poison, how about that?
Re: Nigerians Abroad: What Advise Will You Give Anyone Relocating Abroad? by jaybee3(m): 3:08pm On Jan 09, 2009
temi777:

Hi everyone,
I always enjoy this website and I will like to add my own two cents to this very commendable debate.
I think life is what you make it. UK,US and the others are not heaven(s) on earth and they do not automatically make people rich, so if you are already rich , please don't come but lets be honest a very large majority of Nigerians are suffering, no health care, people die for the most simple of health reasons and life , while very social is not that good for these people. If you are on 7 million naira annually in Nigeria,please don't relocate overseas except for other reasons apart from financial. But having said that, a lot of people I know in UK are doing well.for example, someone I know is a cleaner(real life story) but yet have two proprties in UK and one in NIGERIA. She was an hairdresser in OWO before coming to UK and believe me she would never have attained that in Nigeria surely. my point is coming here(and US and others) gives you a fighting chance to make it if you are the oppressed but it does not promise to make you a king. Sorry. You can choose to live in Northampton, nice environment(comparable to V.I ) and pay as low as £400 for a large house, why do people equate London to all of UK. London is to UK what Lagos is to Nigeria: Expensive. Nigerians live there out of choice. There are very very very cheap places where your expenses will be less than £800 all inclusive including rent/mortgage, so I think we should understand but then I don't have to worry about saving so much for a lot of things living in the UK. lets face it, nothing stops me working and living here for 6-7 months in a year and living the rest in Nigeria.
all in alll, people should have a good plan before coming and please don't come as illegal.
a lot of Nigerian people are on £50000 and above here, so we can't ever say UK hasn't helped , only that we often start spending morre the more we earn, but take my word for it: It promises to help you, but it never promised to make you a king. and for those who want to have drivers and maids and so forth, well have you imagined if you were in their shoes? that is why Nigeria is so bad. here, you don't have to be soooo educated to have any resemblance of some life. a cleaner who knows what he's doing will still make it in UK and not die in agony like the very many naija housemaids, drivers and so on who are treated soooo bad
please don't mention Naija is good again. If you are lucky to be among the fortunate 5% with good life fine but what about the rest? I guess like true Nigerians they don't count, right?those 95% are better off in the western world, period and that is the fulcrum of my argument, the rest should stay back, every man for himself. I love Naija but its a mess at the moment and has been for a long time. Sorry
that's my 2 cents

As per the highlighted quote, it's not impossible but absolutely hard to accomplish based on a cleaner's wage/salary without dabbling one's hand into frafraudulenttivities. Fraud in the UK doesn't necessary have to be financial fraud but could be the odd playing the system (u know Nigerian families lying about how many kids they cater for then milking the tax payers, collecting numerous tax benefits, or even the sub letting council properties for their own gain)
Re: Nigerians Abroad: What Advise Will You Give Anyone Relocating Abroad? by carnal: 3:43pm On Jan 09, 2009
I must say I really enjoy this thread.I travelled to different countries, i have enjoyed the good side and the negative sides, my humble advise is that if you have a good qualification stay back home and if you don't and have the mind to bear the sacrifices overseas then jump on the next flight but as for i will never and i can never relocate,yes people say because i have a good job,yes i thank God for the good job where i am over N20M per annum (in and oil and gas firm)and that's why i can never relocate,atleast i can visit anywhere at anytime and anyday.

P/S-I am not from a rich bakcground, i passed through the ladder and roughly too.
Re: Nigerians Abroad: What Advise Will You Give Anyone Relocating Abroad? by temi777: 3:56pm On Jan 09, 2009
@jay bee honestly i've known this woman for a while and i can tell you that while she worked very hard, thats all she did. At least she got the opportunity.
I will say that only one in ten Nigerians do make it ok. look back at your classmates in Nigeria and see how many have made reasonable living as in earn above 100,000 naira a month and you will understand. some make it through in Naija but only very few and the rest nko?
that is one thing that weighs on my mind. At least you have a high chance of making it in UK or US if you try hard enough
my brother in law who is a lecturer just got fed up and is relocating to Canada. nuff said
Re: Nigerians Abroad: What Advise Will You Give Anyone Relocating Abroad? by omofola(f): 3:58pm On Jan 09, 2009
I have said it that i cant live or work abroad but can continue to go there for the holiday once in a while,we all know the fact that basic things of life are available there,fine and at a very high price to pay but going around sweeping the streets,washing toilets and washing plates for whites is degrading to me,i can never and will never do it,not at any price because money is not everything,i prefer to do that in my own country if it has come to that, 60% Nigerians that lived abroad and came back to Nigeria to live large were into different types of fraud before making it,20% were into prostitution and drugs,10% worked hard by washing plates and sweeping gutters and God blessed them which could have as well happened in Nigeria if they were patient enough, 10% come from very rich families that already made it here in Nigeria years back.

Nigerians should stop going abroad to act as slaves or criminals with the excuse that they are not making it here,even  rich Nigerian kids abroad are are into different atrocities and misbehaving ,please we should all have it in mind that whichever part of the world we are , we need to be patient, hardworking, have self control and be disciplined,God is with us in any part of the world as long as we believe and trust  in him.

1 Like

Re: Nigerians Abroad: What Advise Will You Give Anyone Relocating Abroad? by frenchman(m): 4:15pm On Jan 09, 2009
The responses have been quite helpful actually. I relocated to UK from Naija 2years ago despite having a good job in Nigeria. My reasons were career progression, better standard of living and sound education, and to God be the glory, I have never regretted my action.

I am a strong believer in Naija and hope to return home soon after I must accomplished my goals here. When I came here, I would say I lucky, cos I never did any odd job and have been doing a professional job since. I will be starting my Master's Degree, God's willing September 2009.
To God be the Glory, I just got a better job xmas eve, despite the credit crunch, so I would say everything depends on God's plan for one.

I would not advise anyone to come here illegally, please be focused and non-complacent. Cost of living is high, but in Naija we are used to not paying for anything, that is why we find it hard to adjust.
Re: Nigerians Abroad: What Advise Will You Give Anyone Relocating Abroad? by frenchman(m): 4:18pm On Jan 09, 2009
The responses have been quite helpful actually. I relocated to UK from Naija 2years ago despite having a good job in Nigeria. My reasons were career progression, better standard of living and sound education, and to God be the glory, I have never regretted my action.

I am a strong believer in Naija and hope to return home soon after I must accomplished my goals here. When I came here, I would say I lucky, cos I never did any odd job and have been doing a professional job since. I will be starting my Master's Degree, God's willing September 2009.
To God be the Glory, I just got a better job xmas eve, despite the credit crunch, so I would say everything depends on God's plan for one.

I would not advise anyone to come here illegally, please be focused and non-complacent. Cost of living is high, but in Naija we are used to not paying for anything, that is why we find it hard to adjust.
Re: Nigerians Abroad: What Advise Will You Give Anyone Relocating Abroad? by frenchman(m): 4:27pm On Jan 09, 2009
Omotola,
So no one Nigerian abroad has been able to make 'it' legally? All Nigerians in UK, USA are either washing gutter or doing fraud, I think you have no idea what this is all about.
Re: Nigerians Abroad: What Advise Will You Give Anyone Relocating Abroad? by Kc0022000(m): 4:40pm On Jan 09, 2009
Nigeria that is long time dead , a land that shouldn't be called a country better still should be ruled again by British. Even if you are a professional or bla bla bla gone are the days when everyone should be a professional to survive or make ends meet.That is why we still have some many problems in land called Nigeria and we have a lot to learn. UK or US isn't heaven rightly said but please compare our so called professional with the real professional here abroad.Our professional still need to learn from the original professional except fraud that we need not be thought. Anyone doing professional jobs here should resign,go back home because you can do such jobs in Nigeria, monkey people. If your a cleaner in whatever areas so long it pays your bills and your happy doing whatever your doing, abeg carry on. Non of the so called professional will pay your bills cos no one cares about you. 5% of the population smiling while 95% piling certificate , still no future. Nigeria is good if you have a good job still we have brain drain from western world, why are those brains coming over to UK/US since they have a good job or better P.A income ? We need to wake up in that country
Re: Nigerians Abroad: What Advise Will You Give Anyone Relocating Abroad? by felifeli: 5:01pm On Jan 09, 2009
I will this time refrain from making  harsh statements having met with several epiphanies along the way and as a result of previous contributions on this web site and elsewhere. The whole earth belongs to God and it is us human beings who have partitioned it into "countries" which  these days have become as meaningless as forced marriages.  If you are doing OK in Nigeria God bless you , if it is in UK that you meet good fortune glory be to God - and[b] refrain from comparing and contrasting[/b] , because in life you will ALWAYS find someone better or worse than you no matter your position.

If it is the desire of God that your destiny lies in in UK , get your ass out of Nigeria QUICK!! - and the way you will know this is that God will make your passage smooth and you will not have to apply for visa ten times. grin grin
And if your destiny is not in UK or elsewhere and you are only struggling along there YOU ARE DEADMEAT , get your ass out of there QUICK !! - and you will know that your tenure has lapsed when you just toil and you are getting nowhere and eating the kind of humiliation that you will not consider in the place where you have come from - and if you sincerely ask, God will make your passage smooth.

As Yoruba people say "half a word will suffice for a child that will not perish. After he has swallowed it and it gets inside his stomach, it will eventually become whole and  meaningful" Abo oro la nso fun omoluwabi; ti o ba de inu re yio di odidi And even you bind a person who is destined to perish with the strongest chains to restrain him from going to his doom he will fight to the death to break free and go.

By the way[b] it is officially projected (by UK government) that more than 600,000 jobs will be additionally lost in UK in 2009 alone[/b] , and even this week Barclays alone has laid off hundreds of[b] IT staff [/b]( shocked shocked ). So anyone relocating now should be swimming hard against the current from day one . However if it is God's will for you go for it  smiley smiley
Re: Nigerians Abroad: What Advise Will You Give Anyone Relocating Abroad? by bolexy1: 5:22pm On Jan 09, 2009
ibexy - i like ur sentiments

omofola - if u cant wash plates for a white man, never employ a househelp to wash for you, tell all those who av such girls cleaning in their houses to terminate their appointments. you go to a restaurant in lagos and someone packs the table after u r thru, so is dat guy or girl who does such work in naija a degraded human? thank God for ur parents who educated u by sending u to nice schools, pple do menial jobs in naija too now, are dey degraded?

we nigerians and our values!!!!!!! we denominate life to naira and kobo! the govr earmarks billions to spend every year yet we do not see wat those huge sums av done. the other day it was reported in d papers dat the lagos-ibadan expressway (dat death trap) was maintained for 17 billion naira!!! pple are respected because of the amount of money dey spend on their houses - one former grp director for nnpc once said N250 million wasnt enough to build a hse for him, the former speaker of the hse of assembly spent more than N200 million to renovate an already completed hse!!!!!!!!

we talk abt being second class citizens when we go abroad, so wat are we here!!!!!!!!!!!!! dis is a ctry wthout a health care plan for the citizen, when d pple in govt fall sick dey take d next available private jet abroad, so who is second class?

during my vacation in the UK in dec 2006 i was knocked down by a car and sufferred a broken fibular and 6 brakages to my knee, within 3 min. an ambulance was summoned, and i was in the hospital within 10 min of the accident. i stayed in the UK for 6 1/2 months and not for once did i witness power failure. but come here now and u r not a high class citizen who can afford a good generator, and see if life will be bearable!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

pls get knocked down and see if anybody will even call 999 for assistance, so who are the second class citizens?

dis is a ctry wthout a proper transport system, but when d pple in govt move on the road no other person should move!!!!!!!!!!!! who is second class citizen

this is a ctry wthout social welfare for its citizens, yet the economy still maintains the families of all rulers who virtually plundered the wealth of the nation!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! so who are the second class citizens?

this is a ctry where the nation as never enjoyed uninterrupted power supply for 24 hrs, but the pple in govt live in d state houses like gods!!!!!!! who are the  second class citizens.

common guys!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

life is not all about making money and having good jobs!!!!! if you are able to determine ur purpose in life, u tend to be contented, life's not all about getting a job in d oil company, bank, telecomms industries!!!!!!!!!!!!! pple dont kill themselves abroad to work in these places as we do here in naija!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

God bless nigeria, God bless the pple of nigeria!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigerians Abroad: What Advise Will You Give Anyone Relocating Abroad? by CLEDEJESUS: 5:44pm On Jan 09, 2009
Thanks you guys and gurls on your point blank exposition, examination and analysis of the above topic at the post. I am beginning to like the thread as a new comer into nairaland.
wumiabo, damiso, MT, Hesperus, BusyBody, osisi your contributions were fanatic. It was a balance one
for anybody who want to go to "AKATA" to make wise decision before leaving

1 Like

Re: Nigerians Abroad: What Advise Will You Give Anyone Relocating Abroad? by temi777: 6:02pm On Jan 09, 2009
By the way guys Uk and America are so boring to be honest but then thats life but one question.To those in Naija, assuming, God forbid you lose you plum job tommorrow what happens to you? In UK the government will still pay your rent and stuff like that, give you a little token until you are OK. Do you not think that the insecurity of knowing that when they leave office they might not have much to fall back on is the reason why Naija politicians steal our money?
Re: Nigerians Abroad: What Advise Will You Give Anyone Relocating Abroad? by DisGuy: 6:15pm On Jan 09, 2009
Kudos IBEXY, especially about the education and retraining to suit the new environment
Re: Nigerians Abroad: What Advise Will You Give Anyone Relocating Abroad? by Wazobia(m): 6:17pm On Jan 09, 2009
I must say this topic has made very interesting reading. Having just relocated from the Uk after almost 20 years, you will agree with me If I tell you a few things about the Uk that many may not be aware of.

I am so proud to be a Nigerian and the advantage many of us who were 'fortunate' or 'un-fortunate' if the case may be is that CNN and SKY can no longer put any wool of my eyes.

Yes things are incredibly tough over here in Nigeria as I have been informing the world particularly those in the diaspora through my blog found at http://babajidesalu./, IT IS AS TOUGH IN THE UK IF NOT TOUGHER.

Guys, trust me, there is no country where there is no Poverty, and yes I know, Poverty is relative, so is Wealth.

I will leave you for now, but check my blog out at http://babajidesalu./.

Cheers and God bless.

NB: Seun, I can see you are still doing a great job.
Re: Nigerians Abroad: What Advise Will You Give Anyone Relocating Abroad? by aieromon(m): 6:38pm On Jan 09, 2009
i believe that if you are determined to be successful in life and you are ready to invest your hard work into it,you can make it anywhere in the world.

1 Like

Re: Nigerians Abroad: What Advise Will You Give Anyone Relocating Abroad? by romeo(m): 7:02pm On Jan 09, 2009
What can i say? So many experts on deciding for others have talked.
Re: Nigerians Abroad: What Advise Will You Give Anyone Relocating Abroad? by fendx4: 7:23pm On Jan 09, 2009

I have lived all my non vacation days in Nigeria. I had the childhood fantasy of running away to be with the Queen too. But today, I am glad that my adulthood had proved excellent.

I like to challenge the thought process that living and working in UK or anywhere else in the world save Nigeria could give you some more Dollars, Pounds, Euros hence you would be relevant. Relevance comes from the inside.

Without wanting to contradict a post I had previously read that the hairdresser lady from Owo, Ondo State now has two properties : London and Nigeria. I can tell you for a fact that there are 26 year olds building and buying houses here in Nigeria. I was as stunned as you could be reading this post until I calculated the age this UNILAG Graduate, KPMG working boy, ICAN Associate had built his house! Was he lucky? No, he was focused, in Nigeria!

In the past years, growing up, I did not have a silver spoon. What I had was a strong desire for excellence and today, I think I have achieved it. I once thought that being an 'real' Investment Banker required you to work and live in London. That thought process was narrow my people. I have discovered that being an Investment Banker required your guts irrespective of the location that you are.

Again it is misleading to think that your location determines your relevance in life. If you have nothing to offer, life will never recognise you.

In a nutshell, you can be all you can be if you want to be irrespective of location, creed, color or race
Re: Nigerians Abroad: What Advise Will You Give Anyone Relocating Abroad? by Kongi(m): 8:53pm On Jan 09, 2009
@Frenchman, You may have been talking about me!
i may not have been born with a silver spoon but I was quite comfortable.
I was doing ok in Naija and after a period of introspection, I saw that prospects were not the best in Naija.
I am a medical doctor from a very reputable Naija uni and no difficulty getting a job. Looking at all my classmates, no one was earning more than 100k a month. I earned slightly more than that but could hardly see a future.
After visits to the UK and extensive research, I decided to take the plunge.
I made sure I passed the relevant exams during my previous visits and came in armed with plenty kishi for the struggle.
It took a while to get into the system and yes I did the 'odd jobs'!
I worked 9-5 as a clinical attache for free and worked from 6pm to 10pm at Royal Mail for £6/hr!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
It was hard work but God eventually smiled on me and now I make over £50,000 pa. I was lucky that I had no problems with accommodation and I had the right visa status.
the fact that I came to the UK with a sizeable amount of money didnt deter me from doing the job at Royal mail. I guess I have a better appreciation of what I have achieved with God's help.

My advice is quite simple for anyone considering relocating
1. Do your home work; what are you coming to do and how feasible is it?
2. Ensure you have the right visa status!! (this is actually more important that 1!)
3. You must have a place to stay (family preferably and be prepared to contribute to running the home. It will be appreciated and you might even get your money back but the thought will be appreciated)
4. Carry plenty money (If not, you go suffer o!)
5. Have a plan B. If things dont work out, you can always fall back on plan B. If you are doing a masters, do one that will sell in Naija. Not everyone remains here after school.
6. Pray for God's guidance

In the current economic climate, it may not be wise to come looking for work here but then again, in the midst of credit crunch, some are making a killing.

If anyone asks me do I regret coming to the UK, my answr will have to be NO.
I am getting a postgrad training and being paid while doing this. I am practicsing the profession I spent years training for. I can see a logical career progression. i can provide for my family without needing to steal or do anything contrary to the ethics of my profession.

If you keep your nose clean, plan your moves a few years in advance and ALWAYS ask advice from those who've been there and done what  you want to do, you can hardly go wrong.

If i could get the same opportunity in Naija, I'd be there in a heartbeat. I am no 2nd class citizen contrary to what people may say or do but Naija sweet!

I apologise for rambling. God speed everyone
Re: Nigerians Abroad: What Advise Will You Give Anyone Relocating Abroad? by crazyhorse: 9:54pm On Jan 09, 2009
Hello Nairaland,
This is a good thread and it has been an eye opener, at the end of the day like a lot of pple have said its an individual decision on staying in Nigeria or going abroad follow your heart and leave the rest to God
Can i correct some kind of misguidiance of a lot of pple who has contributed to this thread i see that in talking about the less paid or unfashionable jobs Carpentry has been mentioned a lot i am a carpenter and proud to be one it took me 3years to be a qualified Carpenter and i can tell you i am doing it because i love it and it pays the bills plus you cannot underestimate a carpenter in London. I charge between £1750 and £3500 to put in a kicthen and the average fitting time is a week i have been in the building game for over a decade and i have other skills ie plumbing and electrical etc i have a degree from a london based university but i have never used it.
Today i manage the maintenance of 27 banks in the city of London thats my day time work and still privately practice my trade i know for a fact that am in the top 10 - 15% earning bracket in the Uk
So please give us CARPENTERS a break some of us earn the same if not more than the so called proffesional, Carpentry is a bonafide proffession here in the UK
Re: Nigerians Abroad: What Advise Will You Give Anyone Relocating Abroad? by myselfnI: 10:27pm On Jan 09, 2009
I have read all the comments and i must say it is interesting but the decision is based on the issues, i live and work in the UK/ Europe now 7 years now and i do have a comfortable life. But personally if u have something going good in naija men stay there, the UK and Europe are on their knees at least for the next 5 years. There are two side to the coin if u want good roads,hospitals,security,light, water and all the works then UK is the answer. but if you want to amass money then it is naija, the issue for is this would you have attained your purpose in life? will you feel accomplished in life? NOW the UK for me does not provide that cos white is white and black is black pls let's forget the obama factor. Africa as an continent is plagues with numerous issue that are generational and we have come to crossroads of what do i give back. personally i am extremely anxious to come back so if anyone can help it will be appreciated. So look at the two sides.
Re: Nigerians Abroad: What Advise Will You Give Anyone Relocating Abroad? by felifeli: 10:37pm On Jan 09, 2009
All these rosy testimonies are actually getting nowhere . You need the grace of God to get ahead ANYWHERE you are - Lagos, London, Los Angeles , Kutuwenji  etc etc.
I know the construction industry in UK well and I know (native white) carpenters and multi-skilled  who are today on benefit - (yes, when the going was good my plumber was riding a better car than me I confess). I also know Naija doctors in UK who are today jobless , and for your info if you go in on HSMP, Tier1 or whatever it is they call it now you are unlikely to get a job on NHS - your visa is only good for a few years, and they don't employ temporary doctors anymore. Hundreds of highly educated Indians (doctors, IT etc)   holding HSMP are also stuck in UK jobless today and fighting deportation. The fact that a foreigner  from a visa country can get a job as a carpenter means that you already have your stay status which doesn't come to you in a couple of weeks after you get there.  
If you are going there looking for administrative work see my post above - jobs are being massively lost everyday and temporary labor other than cleaning work are hard to come by anymore, and I am sorry they will not pay your bills (in London at least) My uncle an engineer has not done a single day's work in 2 years and has been on benefit not because he doesn't like to work. his wife a nurse gets temp work to do averagely one week in a month. Lucky for them they have been there for almost two decades and have property to fall back on. Are you thinking of going there to do business ? In present economic climate I will say you need your head examined. We are doing nobody a favour by glossing the problem over and telling people to jump in and HOPE FOR THE BEST. Aiye le . When things eventually go bad it is the same people who advised you to jump in , who will go about telling anyone that would listen what an idiot you are not to use your common sense. I can only think that there is a growing army of sad and lonely Nigerians abroad looking for co-sufferers and that is why this sort of "have faith" advice is rife in this forum. As one of my pastors used to say a long time ago there is a thin line between faith, foolishness and presumption and you need not only prayers but wide open eyes to know which way to go.
I am not thinking that this will discourage anybody though. See my post above . As Yorubas used to say "The dog that is destined to get lost in the forest will not heed its master's whistle"  Aja ti yio sonu kii gbo fere ode.
Best wishes in your travels and travails all. smiley
Re: Nigerians Abroad: What Advise Will You Give Anyone Relocating Abroad? by Ndipe(m): 11:48pm On Jan 09, 2009
We all have different destinies in life. In the long run, it's left to the individual to decide which works best for them. Personally, if I am to choose between living in Nigeria, and abroad, I will definitely choose Nigeria. I dunno, maybe, because of past memories of my dear country. Abroad, it's work, work, work, pay bills, isolation from people, and all what not. There is no sense of community here, except individualism. Not my cup of tea, but there are advantages living here. Still, I wont advise anybody who is earning a comfortable living to move to America permanently.
Re: Nigerians Abroad: What Advise Will You Give Anyone Relocating Abroad? by OgidiBoy(m): 12:03am On Jan 10, 2009
Ndipe:

We all have different destinies in life. In the long run, it's left to the individual to decide which works best for them. Personally, if I am to choose between living in Nigeria, and abroad, I will definitely choose Nigeria. I don't know, maybe, because of past memories of my dear country. Abroad, it's work, work, work, pay bills, isolation from people, and all what not. There is no sense of community here, except individualism. Not my cup of tea, but there are advantages living here. Still, I wont advise anybody who is earning a comfortable living to move to America permanently.

I totally agree with you, I just came back from Nigeria a few day ago and the rate at which that country is developing amazes me. Right now I have my family members looking at different business's I can invest in, I'm so sick of living in the States. A record number of Nigerian went home from Dallas this year so it's starting to look like Nigeria is not as bad as some people will make it.

I seriously envy so many people in Nigeria take my little sister that just went back to Nigeria last year, now she works in a freaking bank, drives a new car she paid cash for, has two maids, a driver, lives in a 3 bedroom flat, with a gate man. Tell me how many people in America can enjoy that kind of luxury.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (12) (Reply)

Vehicle Offence In UK And Nigeria, LASTMA Example (pics) / Bizarre Illegal Immigration Techniques: How People And Drugs Are Smuggled. / A Fellow Passenger Did This Inside A Taxi. Who Is Right?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 116
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.