Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,331 members, 7,808,107 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 07:19 AM

Akwa Ibom Govt. Sets Up Family Court To Tackle Alleged Child Witchcraft - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Akwa Ibom Govt. Sets Up Family Court To Tackle Alleged Child Witchcraft (13044 Views)

Danish Woman Adopts 'Witchcraft' Boy And Gives Him A New Name (Photo) / The Amazing Transformation Of The Abandoned Nigerian "Witchcraft" Child / Parents Take Son To Court To Force Him To Get A Job (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Akwa Ibom Govt. Sets Up Family Court To Tackle Alleged Child Witchcraft by terrymason(m): 7:06pm On Nov 16, 2014
Justice Theresa Obot of the Akwa Ibom State High Court,
said that the state government had set up a family court to
tackle the increasing cases of child witchcraft in the state.
Obot told the News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) on Sunday in
Abuja that the court was created after a commission of
enquiry set up to investigate allegations of child witchcraft
concluded its assignment.

According to her, the court is set up to prosecute cases and
allegations of child witchcraft in the state.

The News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) recalls that the
Commission of Enquiry was set up in Nov. 2010, following
the rampant stigmatisation of children in the state for
alleged witchcraft.

According to her, priority attention is being given to cases
of child witchcraft in the state.
“We in the judiciary lay so much emphasis on the child
witchcraft stigmatisation and the courts now make it a point
of duty to address those issues.
“So when such cases come in, we try not to limit ourselves
to only the punishment of alleged child witch, but also to
provide counselling.

“Because in a family court, when a child and the parents
have problems, we offer reconciliation,’’ Obot said.

She said, “anybody who says a child is a witch or wizard,
he or she will be prosecuted, after which they will also
receive counselling.
“So, that has helped to reduce incidences of child witchcraft
in Akwa Ibom state.’’

“We are not saying that it is over, but so far the incidence
has been reduced to the barest minimum.’’

Obot said the courts also recommend counselling for parents
who stigmatised their children after they had been punished.

Obot commended the state government for its campaign to
stop the stigmatisation of children over alleged witchcraft.
She also noted that the state government was doing everything
humanly possible to put an end to the issue by organising
annual seminars on child rights laws and other related
issues. (NAN).

It is kind of funny but serious how is the going to decide the case?

Your opinion is highly needed nlers

Source: www.vanguardngr.com/2014/11/akwa-ibom-govt-sets-family-court-tackle-alleged-child-witchcraft/

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Akwa Ibom Govt. Sets Up Family Court To Tackle Alleged Child Witchcraft by Prymestrr(m): 7:24pm On Nov 16, 2014
So how exactly is d court supposed 2 know if allegations of such nature r true or not??

Modified!
It seems i'm STC but who cares I'm just looking @dt joker above me dancing shoki weh song no deh play.

3 Likes

Re: Akwa Ibom Govt. Sets Up Family Court To Tackle Alleged Child Witchcraft by eleojo23: 7:24pm On Nov 16, 2014
Many people (in Nigeria) believe that every little thing has witchcraft influence. We give so much credit to the devil for things unrelated to Him.

3 Likes

Re: Akwa Ibom Govt. Sets Up Family Court To Tackle Alleged Child Witchcraft by iceberylin(m): 7:24pm On Nov 16, 2014
Probably cause of 2015 election...

Bunch of politicians...

We need leaders angry
Re: Akwa Ibom Govt. Sets Up Family Court To Tackle Alleged Child Witchcraft by coolvitus(m): 7:24pm On Nov 16, 2014
Toh
Re: Akwa Ibom Govt. Sets Up Family Court To Tackle Alleged Child Witchcraft by Pennyways: 7:25pm On Nov 16, 2014
nice move

1 Like

Re: Akwa Ibom Govt. Sets Up Family Court To Tackle Alleged Child Witchcraft by igbsam(m): 7:25pm On Nov 16, 2014
Good. I just wished they would stop this arrant nonsense. This is 2014 for crying out loud. Why subject children to such injustice all in the name of being possessed. The people who are torturing this children are the ones possessed with the spirit of witchcraft. That woman, Helen Okpabio or what's her name has done alot of damage to the children of akwa ibom with that her movie. The same punishment should be served to those parents who would be found guilty.

13 Likes

Re: Akwa Ibom Govt. Sets Up Family Court To Tackle Alleged Child Witchcraft by Patdedon(m): 7:25pm On Nov 16, 2014
Good move

3 Likes

Re: Akwa Ibom Govt. Sets Up Family Court To Tackle Alleged Child Witchcraft by kendrick93(m): 7:26pm On Nov 16, 2014
akwa ibom and witchcraf sef.. tufiakwaa. no wonder there people are deserting d state.. d ones living in other parts of d country don't lyk visitin due to fear of being be-witched
Re: Akwa Ibom Govt. Sets Up Family Court To Tackle Alleged Child Witchcraft by donwhizkid(m): 7:26pm On Nov 16, 2014
Lolz....
Re: Akwa Ibom Govt. Sets Up Family Court To Tackle Alleged Child Witchcraft by hadassah27: 7:27pm On Nov 16, 2014
This is serious
Re: Akwa Ibom Govt. Sets Up Family Court To Tackle Alleged Child Witchcraft by Vivipop(f): 7:27pm On Nov 16, 2014
Nice move. I'm fully in support of this. This witchcraft thingy(does not even exist) is as common as goodmorning here. They should learn not to drag Children into it.

2 Likes

Re: Akwa Ibom Govt. Sets Up Family Court To Tackle Alleged Child Witchcraft by Trafford(m): 7:27pm On Nov 16, 2014
donwhizkid:
Lolz....

Land sellers
Re: Akwa Ibom Govt. Sets Up Family Court To Tackle Alleged Child Witchcraft by Nobody: 7:28pm On Nov 16, 2014
like seriously??
Re: Akwa Ibom Govt. Sets Up Family Court To Tackle Alleged Child Witchcraft by Nobody: 7:28pm On Nov 16, 2014
Nice move.. Atleast those accusing young children of witchcraft will be dealt with..

Africans and there mentality.. Any little tin is i.e. U re a witch or wizard tat y those pastors are buying private jet with there money

1 Like

kendrick93:
akwa ibom and witchcraf sef.. tufiakwaa. no wonder there people are deserting d state.. d ones living in other parts of d country don't lyk visitin due to fear of being be-witched
u bin go church??
I reserv my comment
Re: Akwa Ibom Govt. Sets Up Family Court To Tackle Alleged Child Witchcraft by martinoh(m): 7:28pm On Nov 16, 2014
walahi e good
Re: Akwa Ibom Govt. Sets Up Family Court To Tackle Alleged Child Witchcraft by Matttthew(m): 7:30pm On Nov 16, 2014
If I say e good....... E go be like I be APC
If I say e bad........ E go be like I be Witch....

Wetin u wan make we say now?
Re: Akwa Ibom Govt. Sets Up Family Court To Tackle Alleged Child Witchcraft by Nobody: 7:30pm On Nov 16, 2014
kendrick93:

Are you trying to rob Edo state off their rights lipsrsealed

6 Likes

Re: Akwa Ibom Govt. Sets Up Family Court To Tackle Alleged Child Witchcraft by Nobody: 7:31pm On Nov 16, 2014
accusin innocent kids of being witches n wizards bekus e break plate fr kitchen

4 Likes

Re: Akwa Ibom Govt. Sets Up Family Court To Tackle Alleged Child Witchcraft by nora544: 7:31pm On Nov 16, 2014
I hope that will bring Lady Apostle' Helen Ukpabio Liberty Gospel Church down because she is one of this fake pastors who told their folloers that when a child crying in the night it is bewitched.

1 Like

Re: Akwa Ibom Govt. Sets Up Family Court To Tackle Alleged Child Witchcraft by tiamiyukunle69(m): 7:32pm On Nov 16, 2014
na so witch child witch craft plenty for the state ni
Re: Akwa Ibom Govt. Sets Up Family Court To Tackle Alleged Child Witchcraft by Nobody: 7:32pm On Nov 16, 2014
Nigerians, tagging innocent people as witches since the days of Sango and Amadioha...My signature though

1 Like

Re: Akwa Ibom Govt. Sets Up Family Court To Tackle Alleged Child Witchcraft by Nobody: 7:32pm On Nov 16, 2014
Akwa ibom -uyo,next
....... - Oka grin
Re: Akwa Ibom Govt. Sets Up Family Court To Tackle Alleged Child Witchcraft by onihaxy: 7:32pm On Nov 16, 2014
Ok. But wait, is witchcraft still existing in 2014?.
Re: Akwa Ibom Govt. Sets Up Family Court To Tackle Alleged Child Witchcraft by terrymason(m): 7:32pm On Nov 16, 2014
kendrick93:
after reading ur comment! I just start to lolx!
Re: Akwa Ibom Govt. Sets Up Family Court To Tackle Alleged Child Witchcraft by bunmioguns(m): 7:32pm On Nov 16, 2014
undecided
Re: Akwa Ibom Govt. Sets Up Family Court To Tackle Alleged Child Witchcraft by Ezedon(m): 7:35pm On Nov 16, 2014
..are they still in this archaic practice, it seems I will break up with my girl friend to avoid being witched

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Do Babies Need Drugs Before They Start Teething? Mothers Pls Help!!! / Palm Kernel Oil And Coconut Oil. ( Adin Eyan Ati Adin Agbon) Available Here! / Ever Considered Changing Your Name?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 26
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.